PDA

View Full Version : Mowing for Non Profit Organizations

bulhead19
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I have to give an estimate for mowing and trimming for a non profit organization. My question is, Should I even bother? I always hear about non profit groups taking months to pay out. I'm just curious if any has or does work with non profit groups and has anything to say. Thanks for the pointers

grandview (2006)
03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Most non profits pay their bills ,they just try and not make to much profit. They are like any other business ,you can ask what is their billing cycle,30,60,90,120 days so go from there.

bulhead19
03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Anyone else have any experience?

jrs.landscaping
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
We have done work for local little league and have given prices to other non for profit organizations. We have found they like to cut costs wherever they can but as far as paying for services rendered we have found them no different than other accounts we have.

Hoosier Mower624
03-29-2012, 12:55 PM
We have mowed for some local Little League's and some volunteer fire department's and they have always paid quickly.

LakesideLawn51
03-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I have an account with a non profit (sisters of charity) and they are always very prompt with payment.

Dr.NewEarth
03-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Non profit or not, they are a business and by law have to pay their bills on time. Otherwise you can put a lien on the property.

Just for your interests sake, I would check to see what the laws are in New York. Check time limits and fees on filing grievances, including small claims court.

Here, if we don't file a lien within 45 days of the invoice being sent, we cannot put a lien on the property.

I have advertised through a non profit here, that sends out a quarterly publication to all of the HOA's (strata complexes) in British Columbia. They always try to double bill. So, that's a perspective from the other side.

We did have a non profit social housing complex for nine years.
It was run by a Baptist Church Society.

The manager was a bit of a goof. I had to argue with him every year just to keep the costs the same. He was always trying to get me to go lower. He hired us back every year though.

It turned out that he wasn't having the building maintenance done properly, so that he could pay down the mortgage and look good.

Behind the nine buildings was a green belt full of Douglas firs. The wind continually blew needles from them towards the buildings. He never had the downspouts cleaned! Over the years they became clogged rock hard. The rain water wicked into the walls and ceilings causing "7 million dollars in damage"

He got fired, the church society got fired....and the Provincial government appointed a new society to manage the property. They cancelled our contract after nine years and put in a low baller. (and I thought we were cheap)

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Hahaha. Love your "reasoning for Editing: GO Canucks GO"

To OP, I have done work for Churches and Historical Societies and always had no problems at all. The more local the organization, the better. Totally depends on the person in charge of the money. =D Good luck!

RLS24
03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I have done some estimates for them, but never actually got any of the jobs. The work usually goes to someone who is either in the organization, related to someone in the organization, or knows someone in the organization. They're always looking for a deal, and like to play the "we are a non-for-profit and have a limited budget, can you work with us on the price" card a lot.

Remember that a lot of these places have some kind of public or government involvement, and they have to accept a number of bids. Like I said, they usually know who is going to get the work before they even send it out to bid, but they need the bids to make it all look good on paper. Mostly its all a waste of your time. HOWEVER, if you can get your foot in the door there, you'll get a LOT of business through them.

grandview (2006)
03-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I have done some estimates for them, but never actually got any of the jobs. The work usually goes to someone who is either in the organization, related to someone in the organization, or knows someone in the organization. They're always looking for a deal, and like to play the "we are a non-for-profit and have a limited budget, can you work with us on the price" card a lot.

Remember that a lot of these places have some kind of public or government involvement, and they have to accept a number of bids. Like I said, they usually know who is going to get the work before they even send it out to bid, but they need the bids to make it all look good on paper. Mostly its all a waste of your time. HOWEVER, if you can get your foot in the door there, you'll get a LOT of business through them.

Would the term "grease" be the right word?

clydebusa
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Done some work for churchs and schools. Always paid in 30 days. Don't look to ever increase the contract or plan on keeping it, they will always find someone cheaper.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow I have never had a problem with non profit. I do a church here and there and I maintain an old closed hospital for the San Antonio Area Foundation. I cant even believe how good my non profits have been to me and I would, if you legitimately can, take on any customers that have good common sense but more especially non profits....they dont hurt the bottom line.

I go pick up my new Z920a tomorrow. A non profit kicked me half the money for it so I might be just a little biased toward the non profits :)