PDA

View Full Version : I got to test a one of a kind mower today. Its model one serial number 1

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
So here is the story on it. Guy calls me up and says he has been making commercial mowers since the 80's (I am thinking oooooooooooooooooooook) and he asked if I would be interested in trying it out. Come to find out he made the super B for walker, a mower for John Deere, and another mower which he sold at one point. This is a 78inch mower that folds up into 47 inches. It weights 1000 lbs on the nose and has electric powered shoots that open up for either side discharge or closes for mulching. It has a 27 hp Kholer with a few up grades on it. A higher pressure oil shut off switch that stops the engine well before it runs out of oil and a oil cooler. Oh and the big thing, the deck is GEAR drive. No belts except for the one that drives the pumps which are 10cc hydo-gear. He said he uses smaller pumps so your not pushing more fluid than it needs to. It also only uses right around 1gph so its great on fuel. He said he took it up to ferris and it out cut a 28hp diesel 72inch in thick grass due to that it never struggles to push grass out. It also has a 10 mph ground speed and 19,000 fpm blade tip speed. Then he has a different handle set up. You push it forwards to go forwards and you push both to the left or right to turn. Both sticks are connected and would be very nice when you get use to it. Its kind of like a air plane. Also the fans push the air away from the pumps to keep them clean and cool them. The deck floats at all the pivot points in the deck. He is selling them for 12 grand.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
That's pretty cool looking!

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Yes it is. He is taking orders. The main thing I asked is if he went under where would I gt parts? He said, well I hate to do this but I can make a list of the parts on it and where you can get them in case something happens and publish it if something goes bad. He said he hopes to sell them around to local landscapers in Jackson MI where he is at and if he has to rid of the company then sell it off and they should make the parts for it. For the most part I don't see anything wearing on it. The spindles are oil bath rather than grease. So they should go for a couple thousand hrs. This mower also fits right in the back of the truck so you don't need a trailer to haul it. He mows a few places in the area with it to test it and he just hauls it in the back of the truck.

KrayzKajun
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Thts actually pretty cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
It is basically a walker with a lastec deck, except he came up with the deck design in the 70's he said. It only floats up though unlike a lastec which goes both ways. Also he made it to work on so there is way more room under the seat than a walker.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I had a Cub Cadet Commercial Z-Wing 48" mower with the fold up "wings" on it and the blades that swing out like a brush-hog, similar to what that has. It would fold up to fit through a 36" gate with ease. I loved the mower, but it had a few glitches with the fold-up wing switches... they would get grass built up in the wrong place and kick the blades off... so I would have to stop and clean them out. They would get out of adjustment easily as well. It just became a hassle, so I got rid of it. But I always thought that someone should perfect the idea, and sell a good, reliable, fold-up wing style ZTR.

If that thing is reliable and without all the small glitches, I can sure see a market for it. It is SOOOOO nice to have a wide mower that will still fit into small gates (although that one still wouldn't fit through most gates here where I live) and not take up a lot of space on a trailer.

Something else to think about: Are any other blades offered besides the stock ones? That was one thing I always wished I had with my Z-Wing: blade options.

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:32 PM
His next mower with have an efi motor in it and he would put a air cooled kholer diesel in one for me he said. Kholer will give him a 2 year warranty on this motor and 3 years on efi. The mower has a 1 year parts and labor warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

badbascom
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Awesome machine, I hope the guy does well. It appears the blades are sync'd with just a slight overlap?

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Basically you can put any blade you want if you cut it to size. That's what he does. He has a Standard and wavy blade. He has another mower a guy in the area bought with a similar deck and he put 1500 hrs on before he had issues with the kubota gas engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
He is using exmark explorer blades btw. Yes they have a slight over lap. The fold up design it done well and heavy duty. It will fit through a 48 inch gate. His has ideas of a 120 inch model and I got him thinking again of something that would fit through a 36 inch gate.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
03-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Cool. Got any pics of it with the wings down?

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
No I did not. He is going to email some stuff and ill see if I can pull something off it.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
To the top
Posted via Mobile Device

zak406
03-28-2012, 06:39 PM
How is the cut quality would you buy one? Has anybody else bought one? It looks from the pictures (a bit ugly) but looks extremely well made in reguards to the welds you can see and what not. I would be interesetd in seeing some pics of it in actions. Its a great idea on top of it...

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes I would buy one but only after I test it for a good day. I tested it in his 1/4 yard so I can't say to much on cut. This is what I did notice. The cut was smooth but different. It cut level but while mowing I did not see much grass come out because it did so well at munching. The flaps for this discharge came out the rear of the circle opens up to push the grass out sideways. That said in his yard it did not stripe good. I need to test it in other yards and thick grass to really tell. I think it will be fine but a stripe kit may need to be added. He said in wet grass at 19,000 fpm it does not like to discharge but if you back the throttle off it fixes the problem. I am thinking in wet grass you might just leave the shoots closed and let it mulch. That said I need to really demo it to tell, but I am very interested in this mowers. It floats left to right and foreward and back. Most of the 1000 lbs sits on the drive tires so its easy to left the back of when stopping.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
To your other question. No he has not sold this model yet. It was finished last fall. The previous model he built 2 and one is his ztr snow blower and the other one a local guy bought and used for 6 years until he was having issues with kubota gas engine. He will not do water cooled on these units again because their is no good place to the radiator, he said.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Bump to the top
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
It is basically a walker with a lastec deck, except he came up with the deck design in the 70's he said. It only floats up though unlike a lastec which goes both ways. Also he made it to work on so there is way more room under the seat than a walker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does the main deck tip up like a Walker to service the blades? Any chance of getting a picture of under the main deck to see the housing design, clipping flow? Thanks.......

Wecutgrass
03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
that thing looks awesome, looks very efficient and well made

JCLawn and more
03-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I am telling you, look up lastec and its the same thing. You can't lift up the main deck but you can easily get to it with nothing obstruct it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for sharing, like to see innovation.

Tinkerer
03-29-2012, 02:33 AM
What name brand is it?

JCLawn and more
03-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Its called the Davis mower

JCLawn and more
03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
bump to the top

Realslowww
06-29-2012, 10:03 PM
:laugh:[QUOTE=ShooterK2;4364348]I had a Cub Cadet Commercial Z-Wing 48" mower with the fold up "wings" on it and the blades that swing out like a brush-hog, similar to what that has. It would fold up to fit through a 36" gate with ease. I loved the mower, but it had a few glitches with the fold-up wing switches... they would get grass built up in the wrong place and kick the blades off... so I would have to stop and clean them out. They would get out of adjustment easily as well. It just became a hassle, so I got rid of it. But I always thought that someone should perfect the idea, and sell a good, reliable, fold-up wing style ZTR.

If that thing is reliable and without all the small glitches, I can sure see a market for it. It is SOOOOO nice to have a wide mower that will still fit into small gates (although that one still wouldn't fit through most gates here where I live) and not take up a lot of space on a trailer.

Something else to think about: Are any other blades offered besides the stock ones? That was one thing I always wished I had with my Z-Wing: blade options.[/QUOTE

Wasn't Dane Scags the first to do that concept? or did he steal it. :laugh:

JCLawn and more
06-29-2012, 10:45 PM
He designed it in the 80's. It was before lastec came on the scene. You could but any blade you want. He cuts them and puts a bolt through the end. Its not a half job like you would think.
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
It looks decent, still has to stand up to a lot of tests that can't be predicted from this point on forward but at least it looks like someone put a lot of thought and effort and the right kind of materials into it, again whether it will hold up on a nationwide basis in the long term is another story but it does look like it would do something right.

JCLawn and more
06-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I keep telling him if he made a mower that was about 20 inches and folded into 60 he would sell one to about every lco in the country.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
06-29-2012, 11:34 PM
I missed this on first go round,cool mower.in the end it is about cut and deck capabilities......get us some more info
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
06-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Well, thats the one thing i am unsure about. When we get out this dry spell in michigan he is going to come down to a school i mow where its the thickest, most moist grass you will ever mow and see if it can keep up with my kubota. I have my doubts, I don't like his shoot design, its way to small. I know it mulches nice. He finally listened to me and has plans of putting a yanmar diesel engine in it. So this will be like a 1200 lbs 78inch diesel mower when he does it. Right now you can get regular or EFI engines in it.

2stroked
06-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Do you have any pics of its cut? Generally mowers with more than one deck don't cut as nicely as single deck mowers. Or maybe that's just my opinion.

JCLawn and more
06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
No I don't. I have not had a good mowing test yet
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMastersTN
06-30-2012, 03:17 AM
My concerns would be the deck design. I dont like the main deck. Has he thought about going away from the round deck design. Also dont care for the single sided caster arm.

kyia
07-02-2012, 01:40 AM
i kinda like it.

pflasch
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Not too bad... but I'd definitely get a muffler that exhausted out the OTHER side, and not at the fuel tank!!! :hammerhead:

pflasch
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
and a FULL U yoke around the 2 rear wheels!!! I can see this setup bending out of shape a lot at the first major hole they hit on a turn!

pflasch
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Possibly a full U yoke around the front wheels too!??

All_Toro_4ME
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Definately a tank!! I like it. Cant wait to hear the test results against the Kubota.