PDA

View Full Version : Belt Driven walk behind turning help

Diddy
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi guys. i got a belt driven walk behind and its hard for me to turn without tearing up the grass. Do i just have to use brute force to pull the mower back and make a 3 pt turn? any input or advice is much appreciated

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Make sure both the wheels are continously moving.

Diddy
03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Make sure both the wheels are continously moving.

whats the best way to do that?

Richard Martin
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
You can do a zero turn of sorts but it takes practice. When you get to the end of the row start to make the turn. Say you're turning to the right. Let the left wheel drive full power and pull in on the right clutch lever. When you pull in on the clutch lever pull back on that handle bar at the same time. You'll get the hang of it after you do it a few times. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.

Diddy
03-28-2012, 06:46 PM
You can do a zero turn of sorts but it takes practice. When you get to the end of the row start to make the turn. Say you're turning to the right. Let the left wheel drive full power and pull in on the right clutch lever. When you pull in on the clutch lever pull back on that handle bar at the same time. You'll get the hang of it after you do it a few times. It's not hard once you get the hang of it.

Thanks so much. do u have to pull pretty hard on the right handle?

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
There is no reason to fully grip on the right/left handle when you turn. Do it with pressure, not full pressure.

Richard Martin
03-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks so much. do u have to pull pretty hard on the right handle?

If the belts and brakes are adjusted properly it shouldn't take too much. There is a space between when the mower declutches and the brakes start to apply. You want to pull back in that space. There is very little resistance if everything is adjusted properly.

davidcalhoun
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
What is your deck width? You might want to also do one extra perimeter lap. This will allow you more room to complete your turns in.

Diddy
03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
What is your deck width? You might want to also do one extra perimeter lap. This will allow you more room to complete your turns in.

its a 36 in deck

Diddy
03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
If the belts and brakes are adjusted properly it shouldn't take too much. There is a space between when the mower declutches and the brakes start to apply. You want to pull back in that space. There is very little resistance if everything is adjusted properly.

i guess idk if mine is adjusted properly then. is it pretty noticeable when i get to the space on the belts?

dieseltech
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Just practice the turns...while your turning watch the wheels. The inside wheel to the turn should be turning slowly while the outside wheel will be turning faster trying to turn the mower...like said there is a space between full power and the brake which should be nuetral.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 04:01 AM
i guess idk if mine is adjusted properly then. is it pretty noticeable when i get to the space on the belts?

It's kinda hard to explain but you get a feel for it. You'll feel the mower stop pulling on that side and if the brakes are adjusted properly, you can pull that side backwards without too much difficulty.

Adjusting the belts and brakes to your liking is almost like an art unto it's self. I like my belts adjusted to where they don't start to grab (engage) the wheel until the clutch lever is almost all of the way out. I like the brake so it just barely locks the wheel up when the parking brake levers are engaged. You leave plenty of "nuetral" space that way.

Diddy
03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
It's kinda hard to explain but you get a feel for it. You'll feel the mower stop pulling on that side and if the brakes are adjusted properly, you can pull that side backwards without too much difficulty.

Adjusting the belts and brakes to your liking is almost like an art unto it's self. I like my belts adjusted to where they don't start to grab (engage) the wheel until the clutch lever is almost all of the way out. I like the brake so it just barely locks the wheel up when the parking brake levers are engaged. You leave plenty of "nuetral" space that way.

i heard that ppl put them on hills and then have the breaks just loose enough so that it doesnt roll down the hill. is that what u kind of do?

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
i heard that ppl put them on hills and then have the breaks just loose enough so that it doesnt roll down the hill. is that what u kind of do?

Yes, that would be fine.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I do that also.

Diddy
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
what brand of a walk behind do you use

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 10:55 AM
This season so far is Snapper WB, exmark & toro in a few months

Last season I was running John Deere and Ransomes (Bobcat) WB.

Diddy
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
ok nice i have an older snapper model

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
my john deere from last year..

Couldnt upload photos of my snapper but they are on my picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=373958

Diddy
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
ok nice our snappers are from the same time period. i love that trac vac on the mower

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
If you can find one for the machine I would highly recommend getting one.