PDA

View Full Version : Begginer Help! Please!

PRECISION LC
12-12-2002, 01:00 AM
I WAS TALKING TO A CUSTOMER THE OTHER DAY, THERE ARE GOING TO MOVE INTO A NEW HOME WITH 40 ACRES. ALL BUFFALO AND NATIVE GRASSES, AND MINIMAL LANDSCPING. I HAVE NOT DONE MUCH LANDSCAPING, BUT A COUPLE SODDING JOBS. THEY WANT ME TO DO IT ALL, TAKE OUT OLD AND PUT IN NEW. BASICALLY LANDSCAPING, SODDING, SPRNKLER, ROCK PATTIO, AND A NEW ENTRANCE WITH A IRON GATE. WONDERING IF IT WILL WORTH IT. I FIGURE IT WOULD BE WORTH IT BUT I DONT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE OR HEAVY DUTY EQUIPTMENT. I CAN SUB OUT THE SRINKLER WORK AND HAVE SOME PLANS DRAWN UP BY SOMEONE ELSE. SO WHAT EVER ADVICE YOU HAVE WOULD BE APPRICIATED.
THANKS
KYLE

Stonehenge
12-12-2002, 03:14 AM
If you haven't installed stone patios, and haven't installed fences or gates, or done much landscaping before, this may be outside the scope of your abilities right now.

If it were one new thing you were being asked to do among a list of other things you were very good at, then sure. But it sounds like you'd be a fish out of water for most of this project.

You might want to tackle smaller projects and build up to something like this. Get this one wrong (and if you've never done most of this, the odds are on the higher side that you would), and you may find yourself being sued out of existence.

BTW, please refrain from using all caps.

devildog
12-12-2002, 04:51 AM
Take the job, work on your numbers. Get quotes from respected subs compare their numbers with yours. Design/construction work is profitable, if you know the numbers: cost of sales+ expenses+profit = job costs. With regards... devildog

AGLA
12-12-2002, 07:39 AM
Too much too fast.

Why does the homeowner want YOU to do the job? If they know that you do not have the experience then they must be looking for bargain rates. If they do not understand the difference between laying sod and doing stonework - you both will be in for a surprise. Perhaps they like you and want to help you get started in gaining experience and building your business.

If the latter of the three possibilities above is true, you would serve yourself well to be prepared to not get rich on this. Make sure the client knows that it is going to take longer and you will have to deal with some obstacles and if they can deal with that you should make it worth it to them as well.

Someone said to get your numbers straight. The fact is that you neither have the experience to estimate the time it will take YOU and may run into needing materials that you do not yet know about. Even if you do estimate your time correctly, you will not be working at near the efficiency of an experienced person and would not be worth their rate of pay.

Somehow you have to work out a way for the client not to get screwed and at the same time for you not to get screwed. This is an education for you not a business deal. You can't expect to make the same money a highly skilled experienced person would on this job. By the same token, you can not expect the homeowner to pay the same for a job that WILL take longer and might not be quite as well done if it were done by an experienced company.

I think that you should put your cards on the table and go for it if the homeowner will.

stslawncare
12-12-2002, 09:18 AM
if im reading this correctly they want u to sod 40 acres???!!!!!!!! i would sub almost the enitre job out. way to big of a jump, when doing jobs this large you wanna have some experience under your belt, sub it out and still make a little bit of money. might even wanna watch them do it so you can learn????

kris
12-12-2002, 09:19 AM
Get a design first. This won't be cheap if they are looking at 40 acres. Even if it is just around the immediate house it is going to cost them/you. Don't go cheap on this stage. Get a LA to do it.

I agree with Agla ..be upfront about the whole thing.

SystemXpert
12-12-2002, 12:39 PM
You might consider subbing out some of this work and act as a project manager. You could gain some good experience from a job like this that has so many different parts. I can tell you from experience, that putting up iron gates is not easy. Do they want them to be motorized ? What do you know about linear worm drives ? Something to consider.

PRECISION LC
12-12-2002, 01:17 PM
THANKS FOR ALL SUPPORT. THEY BASICALLY TOLD ME A LITTLE ABOUT THE PROJECT. I DONT THINK THEY WANT ALL 40 ACRES SODDED. JUST ENOUGH AROUND THE HOUSE. I FIGURED THAT IF I GOT A GOOD PLAN AND PRESENTED TO THEM, TELLING THEM WHO WAS GIOING TO DO WHAT, AND BE UP FRONT WITH THEM, LIKE YOU ALL SAID, I FIGRED IT WOULD BE OK. I HAVE A CONTACT WHO CAN DO THE FENCING AND THE STONE WORK, AND ANOTHER WHO CAN DO THE SPRINKLER WORK. I FIGURED I WOULD JUST TAKE THE LANDSCAPE PLANS AND BUY THE NECCESARY MATERIALS AND PLANT THEM. THEN LAY THE SOD.
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK, GOOD OR BAD I THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE.
KYLE

Randy Scott
12-12-2002, 04:42 PM
You don't have the experience to be the general on a project like this. Let it go. No offense but it isn't going to happen.

Also, posting in all capital letters is yelling and harder to read.

Stonehenge
12-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Precision - you have 114 posts - that should be enough to know DO NOT USE ALL CAPS.

STOP IT.

Thank you.

devildog
12-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
You don't have the experience to be the general on a project like this. Let it go. No offense but it isn't going to happen.

Also, posting in all capital letters is yelling and harder to read.

Randy is dead on target. Let the others do the work their skilled at. If you can take on the planting job AND handle it professionally, take it. Introduce yourself to a local desiger/LA, watch and learn from the other Pro's. To grow, is to take on new challenges. With Regards... devildog

stslawncare
12-13-2002, 10:20 AM
to make more profit when subbing the work out, see if you can assist them as a laboror, it might suck but could earn you more profit. at the same time it would allow you to gain experience by doing work and hearing him talk.

PRECISION LC
12-13-2002, 12:28 PM
thanks for all the advice. I know that i cannot do all the things they want done and i can see that now. i really appriciate all the advice.
thanks kyle
P.S. GIVE IT UP ALEADY ABOUT THE CAPS, MAYBE I LIKE THE CAPS!

Stonehenge
12-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Maybe we stop helping people who type in caps.

Grasshog
12-14-2002, 05:23 PM
I know I sure wouldnt help someone who yelled at me all the time.