PDA

View Full Version : mulch kits- how good is yours?

Agape
03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Had someone ask me about the mulch kit for my exmark TT36S so I decided to start a thread for more fun.

The first pic is a side view showing how thick the grass is having snowed last week, there is 2 weeks of good growth on the lawn. It was not raining, but has been raining so the grass is damp...very light clumping but clean cut.

The biggest problem with the exmark kit is that the blades are not high lift so when the wheels mash the wet grass down, it doesn't always get sucked back up for a cut. this rarely happens, however, with weekly cutting. same with clumping....usually only drops some when the blade is first turned off.

all in all, the best couple hundred (or less, can't remember how much) bucks I've spent.

93Chevy
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Seems about comparable to what we're experiencing with out exmark mulch kits

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Good to know I just ordered one for mine yesterday. I'm going to need to do something about traction or the lack of. Have you done anything other than the weights on the front. Mine isn't bad about popping up but just does't have the traction to move me and the mower. It should be noted that I also have a large frame turftracer about 850lbs that is much smoother and has much better traction.

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Also how is the clumping when you double cut with it?

OakNut
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Timely thread.

I just picked up a Ferris 36" walk behind and ordered a mulch kit for it. (hasn't arrived yet)

I've never used a walk behind, so the whole thing is new to me.
I used it on a client's lawn for the first time yesterday and found it to be more trouble than it's worth for the size lawn it was. Side discharge left me with nowhere to go without throwing clippings where they shouldn't be. I'm hoping the mulch kit actually WORKS so I can use my new mower more often.

Noob question: Will a mower still side discharge with the mulch kit installed?

Let's say I get a lawn that wasn't cut yet and the grass is simply too tall to mulch. Could the "plug" be removed to allow side discharge that particular lawn?

I assume that the "discharge effectiveness" would be greatly diminished, but would it still work well enough for a temporary cut as described in order to not clog up the deck by attempting to mulch grass that's too high?

93Chevy
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Also how is the clumping when you double cut with it?

Sometimes they disperse, but it's better to allow them to dry out for a couple hours and then double cut, if feasible, depending on the size of the property.

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Timely thread.

I just picked up a Ferris 36" walk behind and ordered a mulch kit for it. (hasn't arrived yet)

I used it on a client's lawn for the first time yesterday and found it to be more trouble than it's worth for the size lawn it was. Side discharge left me with nowhere to go without throwing clippings where they shouldn't be. I'm hoping the mulch kit actually WORKS so I can use my new mower more often.

Let's say I get a lawn that wasn't cut yet and the grass is simply too tall to mulch. Could the "plug" be removed to allow side discharge that particular lawn?

I assume that the "discharge effectiveness" would be greatly diminished, but would it still work well enough for a temporary cut as described in order to not clog up the deck by attempting to mulch grass that's too high?

Depends on the kit, most full mulch kits have baffels that get bolted to the bottom of the deck so it would be a semi permanent setup. You could also get a OCDC for a situation like yours where you can side shoot most of the time but then close the chute when in tight areas.

93Chevy
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Timely thread.

Depending on the mower, you'll get different blades, possibly different baffles, and a metal plate cover for the discharge chute.

So if you feel like uninstalling that every couple lawns, good for you :)

OakNut
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Depending on the mower, you'll get different blades, possibly different baffles, and a metal plate cover for the discharge chute.

So if you feel like uninstalling that every couple lawns, good for you :)

Well I assumed you could just take off the plate cover. I dunno... never seen one before. That's why I asked.
I guess I'll see what I'm working with when it arrives.

fatboynormmie
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey agape

Thats about the same performance my unit is doing with the ocdc closed and running the exmark high lifts.Then on the second pass I can flip the ocdc open and spread the clumps better or pop the bagger on.Thanks for the pics .Are you runnig the wavy mulch blades and a single or double setup?Maybe I will try the wavy mulchers that I have with my ocdc to see if theres a performance difference.Will have to get some pics and post.

OakNut
03-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Depends on the kit, most full mulch kits have baffels that get bolted to the bottom of the deck so it would be a semi permanent setup. You could also get a OCDC for a situation like yours where you can side shoot most of the time but then close the chute when in tight areas.

Yeah, I was looking online for OCDCs for my Ferris, but am having no luck.

Someone suggested the "Blade Blocker (http://www.trimmertrap.com/the-joomla-community/14-sample-data-articles/96)", but the website isn't very informative.
I guess I'll contact the company and see what they say.

Sorry. Don't want to derail the thread. Carry on with the mulch fest!

Florida Gardener
03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
IMO the kit for my 36" stander sucks in high growth periods. The kit uses the stock blades that come with the mower. Its not bad, but not great. I bought some wavy exmarks and not much difference. I really think it's the deck overall. I just had a kit installed on my new 32" Hydrocut and I'm hoping for better results.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
03-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Knox, I dont double cut.

The thing to remember is that was 2 weeks of growth,I haven't seen that clumping with 1 week of growth, I wondered if I was going to want an OCDC so I had bolted some aluminum roofing material over the chute to see what it would do and I was happy with the results except for the blowout of the front right corner. so I got the mulch kit. also the average property here is about 6500SF so there's not a lot of room to discharge (seems to throw grass about 3 widths or two with the throttle waaay down) and I would have it closed most of the time anyways.

oaknut, you can click on my link to the 60" mulch baffles I have for sale to give you an idea of what they look like

Normie, I use the wavy blades but theres very little lift, the baffles are to keep the grass in the blades longer so it can cut several times before hitting the ground, otherwise the clippings move to the outside discharge corner just like the high lift so I wouldn't spend money on the wavy blades but post pics if you do.

I have been tempted to cut a piece of the baffles out and weld it to the inside cover of an OCDC or a bolt on cover (wing nut) that I would fab up myself (this would be designed to open inside a grass catcher (or remove in less than 1 minute)- the cloth one from exmark has plenty of room inside of it), and see if I can get the best of both worlds with double blades.

Don't have time to try until next winter tho