PDA

View Full Version : Pinestraw Question

noahb195
03-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Alright guys i got a customer today that asked how much to do pinestraw for. And we said we willl get back to you on that. Ive only put down pinestraw on my own house so i dont know how much to charge. Lets say its $4.25 how much should i charge on top of that for labor.

Its a relatively large yard but the beds are very narrow (against the house wise)

Any help is appreciated,
thanks

noahb195
03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Bump for thursday

grandview (2006)
03-29-2012, 04:58 PM
What do you charge for putting down mulch? Pretty much the same thing.

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
What do you charge for putting down mulch? Pretty much the same thing.

Not even close. Pine straw comes in bales and you kinda just walk along and throw it on the ground. It looks like crap and is a major fire hazard. Since the pine needles are whole and haven't been chopped up, it takes them forever to decompose. They also won't lay down so they don't make a very good weed control.

I put it down once and couldn't get it to lay down so I've never touched it again.

kennc38
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Not even close. Pine straw comes in bales and you kinda just walk along and throw it on the ground. It looks like crap and is a major fire hazard. Since the pine needles are whole and haven't been chopped up, it takes them forever to decompose. They also won't lay down so they don't make a very good weed control.

I put it down once and couldn't get it to lay down so I've never touched it again.

Good point on the fire hazard issue Richard. Several apartment and house fires in Raleigh were attributed to pine straw being used as cover next to the buildings (someone threw a cigarette into the pine straw and POOF!). Needless to say, several cities and counties have begun banning its use against any type of structure, which I completely agree with.

wswebster42
03-29-2012, 05:26 PM
So how would yal charge? Needless to say the customer wants it and has had it for yrs. I'm new to the game. This will be my first pine straw experience. Hopefully not too aggravating!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Good point on the fire hazard issue Richard. Several apartment and house fires in Raleigh were attributed to pine straw being used as cover next to the buildings (someone threw a cigarette into the pine straw and POOF!). Needless to say, several cities and counties have begun banning its use against any type of structure, which I completely agree with.

To say the least. Pine straw is responsible for burning down half of a brand new subdivision in Raleigh a few years ago.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/25/405820/fire-revives-questions-about-pine.html

grandview (2006)
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I did a 12 bale one a couple years ago. (not big here) Guy just wanted down in the beds didn't have to lay flat or anything,just a natural look to it.

MSeals
03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Pinestraw applications in my area cannot be too expensive due to many cut throat workers around here that get it directly from the tree farm and put it out for less than a normal LCO can purchase it for. So....go from there, ex. 1 bale= about 1 min to apply..100 bales for one worker at $6.50 a piece (customer price *JUST THROWING OUT THERE*) $650 - $425 (your price) $225 profit for an 1 hr. and 40 min. Play with the numbers (since there is overhead in any company) and make it where you make money. You may not make a whole lot from one job, but if you get more jobs, there's a good bit of money to be made. Sell your product though (lay it thick and tuck it nice), if the customers happy then you get more jobs. Those cheaper guys just throw and go and makes us all look bad. Hope it helps and good luck

wswebster42
03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Thank you Mseals!
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
well it depends. in the fall i can get pinestraw for free by raking it up out of people's yards. right now in the spring you have to buy it at about $4 a bale. they make different kinds of bales though. square and round. if you can get the round that way you just set it down and roll it out and it's at the proper thickness. it's really easy to do that way. it will lay down and is widely used around here. you wanna put it kindof thick and then water it down a bit. as far as a fire hazard if the homeowners smoke tell them not to throw cigarette butts in the flower beds. :laugh:

noahb195
03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Well thanks guys for preaching to me that pinestraw is a fire hazard. But around here mulch is not that popular. Pinestraw is the main gig in the south or in SC. I have a lot of expirence with putting down pinestraw but not wi

jgrs7
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
here in ga i get a bale for around 2.70 and put it out for 4.95 a bale

jaec
03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
For some reason its very popular here, so we charge $1.50 to $2.00 per bail (delivery and installation) depending on location.

cgaengineer
03-29-2012, 08:33 PM

What? All we do around here is pine straw...it blocks weeds just as well as any other mulch of installed properly. It last about the same amount of time as mulch colorwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
To the OP, typically it's installed at double you per bale cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
What? All we do around here is pine straw...it blocks weeds just as well as any other mulch of installed properly. It last about the same amount of time as mulch colorwise.

All of our pine straw (I actually hate that name) is of the Long Leaf variety. It's a very long needle, at least 6". It doesn't lay down at all and just looks like someone just threw it on the ground (which is what they do here). Regular shredded pine bark mulch is catching on big time here. It's about 50-50 with pine straw.

FLCthes4:11-12
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
atleast $3 per bale labor usually you can find it around 3bucks for the straw so $6 total plus delivery

knox gsl
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I get bales for $4.25 and install for $6.75 per bale unless they get more than 50 then I may give them some price break. Count on each bale covering about 80 square feet.

noahb195
03-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Alright now were talkin. Good to see some southern guys on here.

knox gsl
03-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Alright now were talkin. Good to see some southern guys on here.

I also prefer straw over mulch. A bale will cover about the same area a large wheel barrow of mulch but is much lighter and faster to but down. Another good point is if done right you will do straw twice a year and mulch once.

cgaengineer
03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I get bales for $4.25 and install for $6.75 per bale unless they get more than 50 then I may give them some price break. Count on each bale covering about 80 square feet.

80 sq ft? Holy cow...that's some big bales or you are spreading thin...40 sq ft max.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Fire hazard? From what? Spontaneous combustion? I could see it burning but it would need a source of ignition.

If you see it in level and clumpy looking it was not installed correctly...if you are having a weed problem it was installed to thin...around here pine straw out numbers wood mulch 9:1, it's cheap, easy to install and I personally think it looks better than mulch. I hate when mulch falls out of the beds and becomes mower fodder...cling, cling clunk...pine straw mulches up in mower and leaves a nice clean edge with no debris.
Posted via Mobile Device

kennc38
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Fire hazard? From what? Spontaneous combustion? I could see it burning but it would need a source of ignition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, let's see....cigarette butt, fireworks, cinder from bonfire, burning charcoal from grill, kid with magnifying glass burning ants...do you need more?

knox gsl
03-29-2012, 11:22 PM
80 sq ft? Holy cow...that's some big bales or you are spreading thin...40 sq ft max.
Posted via Mobile Device

I took 10 bales spread them in a 20 foot wide area and they went out about 40 feet. It was a little this as I was touching up a natural area not starting fresh.
Posted via Mobile Device

08wstroke
03-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Pine Straw Looks Good In Places and To the Thread Starter Around Here We Get Anywhere From 9.00 to 12.00 Put Down and After A Little Weather and Rain It Will Lay Down Somewhat

cgaengineer
03-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Pine Straw Looks Good In Places and To the Thread Starter Around Here We Get Anywhere From 9.00 to 12.00 Put Down and After A Little Weather and Rain It Will Lay Down Somewhat

If I could get $9-$12 I'd only do pine straw, I'd quit mowing and chemical spraying!
Posted via Mobile Device

cclllc
03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
The only thing I hate about it is when you trim the shrubs you rake it all out trying to clean up unless you use a tarp for the clippings to fall on.Then you got to remulch.

cgaengineer
03-31-2012, 03:54 PM
The only thing I hate about it is when you trim the shrubs you rake it all out trying to clean up unless you use a tarp for the clippings to fall on.Then you got to remulch.

This is a problem...especially in a large residential community where there is just too many to tarp.
Posted via Mobile Device

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
04-02-2012, 06:14 PM
pinestraw is quick and easy I did 25 bales in an hour on friday. After you put it down make sure u over spread the edge. Put it down like a foot out of the bed and use the blower to push it back in gives it a rolled edge looks aloth better. I hate the stuff but I do more of it than mulch its the south get used to it. Its here to stay.

MTenterprises
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
If I could get $9-$12 I'd only do pine straw, I'd quit mowing and chemical spraying!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. I charge $11 per bale. I buy it for 6.50. It goes down fast. Good profit and contrary to what some say, I think it looks good.

bcps
04-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Is anyone having problem getting pine straw?

precision8m
04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Pine straw has been hard to find lately. Or at least the good stuff, the stuff I have been having to use looks like it sat in a trailer for a year+. I hate to use it but there is a major shortage compared to the demand right now.

I normally charge $10 per bale installed, and I pay about $4.15 - $4.75 per bale. I think mulch looks way better and provides better weed control so i always push mulch. If someone insists on Pine straw it is normally because they are cheap. Good point about being a fire hazard, maybe I can talk a few people out of it now.

Scagboy715
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Dang!!!!! yall are lucky. around where i live I do it for $4.25 a bale installed and I am expensive! i buy it for $2.50 a bale and the guy I buy it from doesnt charge tax:confused: but fine with me. The only way i can get jobs is by offering free weedkiller before I install it. And grandview I love ur pic man...i used to be in love with her when i was younger :drinkup:

cgaengineer
04-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Dang!!!!! yall are lucky. around where i live I do it for $4.25 a bale installed and I am expensive! i buy it for $2.50 a bale and the guy I buy it from doesnt charge tax:confused: but fine with me. The only way i can get jobs is by offering free weedkiller before I install it. And grandview I love ur pic man...i used to be in love with her when i was younger :drinkup:

If we hire our straw jobs out the going rate is usually what ypu are charging but its installed by the straw supplier.
Posted via Mobile Device

coolluv
04-11-2012, 06:47 AM

Where are you getting it for $2.50 a bale? I pay $2.80 or $2.90 and I charge $6.00 a bale. I hate pine straw so I typically only do it for my customers.

Dave...

Cascio05
04-11-2012, 01:44 PM
we get our straw for 5.00 a bale and charge 5.00 for labor so 10.00 total per bale.we use pine straw alot and it keeps weeds down a ton better tha mulch here.

Scagboy715
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Where are you getting it for $2.50 a bale? I pay $2.80 or $2.90 and I charge $6.00 a bale. I hate pine straw so I typically only do it for my customers.

Dave...

J & H Pinestraw sales in Cumming...its an old hispanic guy and he just sells it really cheap. How are you getting $6.00 per bale for it? im pushing it with $4.25!!

Scagboy715
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Pine straw has been hard to find lately. Or at least the good stuff, the stuff I have been having to use looks like it sat in a trailer for a year+. I hate to use it but there is a major shortage compared to the demand right now.

I normally charge $10 per bale installed, and I pay about $4.15 - $4.75 per bale. I think mulch looks way better and provides better weed control so i always push mulch. If someone insists on Pine straw it is normally because they are cheap. Good point about being a fire hazard, maybe I can talk a few people out of it now.

Usually i get really good quality starw but today it was crap! It was really fine and filled with trash.

noahb195
04-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Well guys we did the job all in all we did fifty bales. 40 between 2 houses. And the other 10 we used to freshen up our beds. We put it down at $6 or $7. But i wanted to go higher but the customers you know how they are. Have nice houses but wanna be cheap when it comes to things like this

Scagboy715
04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Well guys we did the job all in all we did fifty bales. 40 between 2 houses. And the other 10 we used to freshen up our beds. We put it down at $6 or $7. But i wanted to go higher but the customers you know how they are. Have nice houses but wanna be cheap when it comes to things like this

That's how it goes man. I have never NOT had someone haggle with me over pinestraw prices but atleast your getting that much for it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
To the OP, typically it's installed at double you per bale cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. I usually pull in about $8.00 a bale.

cgaengineer
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Purchased 200 bales yesterday from my supplier and they were crap...must have been last years forest floor scrapings....poor color, loosely packed and small...oh and it cost more than two weeks ago.

Bring quality down and raise price...I'm going to use that same business model.
Posted via Mobile Device

crichardson
04-15-2012, 02:59 AM
yeah my supplier today said that pinestraw is coming in weird this year....

cgaengineer
04-15-2012, 07:59 PM
I got 48 bales today from home depot and they also let me have the several broken bales in trailer for free...I also got 4 hibiscus bushes from there for free...all in all I'm happy.
Posted via Mobile Device