PDA

View Full Version : Help Me pick a trimmer

GATOR84
03-28-2012, 10:45 PM
I am looking to buy a Stihl FS90R or a FS100RX, I do not care about attachments only a trimmer. Can you tell me which is the better of the two, i have read something about the 100 having more vibrations than the 90 does, but the 100 is more powerfull and lighter for basically the same price. Any of you that has run both of these please fill me in as I am looking to buy something possibly as early as tomorrow.

knox gsl
03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
100rx is the way to go. I have one and love it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
skim threw this and maybe you will get an idea
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=372480

ashgrove landscaping
03-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Husqvarna 326 series. Best bang for you re buck.

mtmower
03-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I've owned a FS100RX and to date it was the worst trimmer I've used. I bought it new. Power was ok but not earth shattering. They vibrate more. It was hard starting. Unless just shut off in the last 5 min. It usually required 5-8 pulls, first few with choke till it hit then choke off till started. Sometimes it helped to feather the throttle last few pulls. Primer didn't seem to help. It was embarrassing. I think my customers thought I was using box store equipment. I finally snapped the mixture screw caps off and adjust the carb. which help very little. I run mid grade non-ethanol fuel with Amsoil. But that was not the worst of it. They are not balanced at all. Front to back or side to side. After using for an hr. it really is noticeable. Took a hit and sold it the same season.

I have to have rubber isolated grips on both handles when I buy. I pay more for them. Considered adding them on certain units that didn't orig. come with them.

I went back to Echo and have not been disappointed. I also have a mid grade Tanaka and have been impressed with it as well but neither are cheap.

I've never run the FS90R but I think it would have to be better.

Alan0354
03-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Between the two, I pick FS100 any time of the day. That is a strong trimmer for the weight. Weight is everything.

Alan0354
03-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I've owned a FS100RX and to date it was the worst trimmer I've used. I bought it new. Power was ok but not earth shattering. They vibrate more. It was hard starting. Unless just shut off in the last 5 min. It usually required 5-8 pulls, first few with choke till it hit then choke off till started. Sometimes it helped to feather the throttle last few pulls. Primer didn't seem to help. It was embarrassing. I think my customers thought I was using box store equipment. I finally snapped the mixture screw caps off and adjust the carb. which help very little. I run mid grade non-ethanol fuel with Amsoil. But that was not the worst of it. They are not balanced at all. Front to back or side to side. After using for an hr. it really is noticeable. Took a hit and sold it the same season.

I have to have rubber isolated grips on both handles when I buy. I pay more for them. Considered adding them on certain units that didn't orig. come with them.

I went back to Echo and have not been disappointed. I also have a mid grade Tanaka and have been impressed with it as well but neither are cheap.

I've never run the FS90R but I think it would have to be better.

You ever adjust the valve? Sounds like they are off.

mtmower
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
You ever adjust the valve? Sounds like they are off.

I did not. Like I had said I bought it new. I maybe only had 20-30 hrs. on it. After attempting to help with the carb adjustment and due to the lack of balance. I was done. I guess like anything something could have been off from factory. I've read other threads about a year back with similar issues so I assumed it was a product design flaw.

If you grab the 100 with one hand, anywhere on the shaft or handles it point to the sun. In addition if holding with one hand it wants to turn clockwise or counterclockwise, I can't remember, big time. So you are constantly fighting to keep this unit in the normal cutting position.

If you grab most Echos or Tanakas, and maybe other brands (poss. even some Stihls) you'll find that they stay upright on there own, and have a sweet spot somewhere in the upper shaft area for balance. These are the only trimmers I've had hands on experience with. I'm sure several others are very good.