PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline Hydro with sluggish reverse

LynchsLawnCare
03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I bought a used 52" Toro Proline Hydro (Only 40 hours) and it looks like it is in showroom condition. Runs great, cuts awesome but I am having an issue with hydros in reverse. It has the T-bar steering system (which I love) and when I pull back on the handle, it creeps VERY SLOWLY in reverse and not equally with both tires. If I am on a hill, forget about reverse altogether. It just ain't happening. I have looked at my owners manual and am thinking that it may have something to do with some sort of adjustment on the by-pass valves on the hydros. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Get Some...
03-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Put on a new hydraulic filter and bleed the hydraulic system.

specialtylc
03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Hydros are shot. Or the handle needs adjustment to allow more rearward engagement.

LynchsLawnCare
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
SpecialtyLC,
Considering it only has about 40 hours on it, I am hoping it is not that the hydros are shot. Now, I'm a relative newbie at this so hopefully this isn't a stupid question but, it goes forward and turns well so I was thinking that the hydros were working pretty well. If the hydros are shot would it still work well in forward?

edensgate7
03-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Every mower I have run that is hydro I have adjusted to run as fast as it will go forward and left just a little for reverse. When I am going from yard to yard between accounts on the same block I can get there quicker and on big yards that are flat I can get them done faster as well. This may be what has happened to your mower. Someone must have taken all the reverse flow through the pumps and put it into the forward to get every ounce of speed that the pumps can put out before they decided to trade it in. Try looking at the rods going from the handle to the pumps and see if the threads showing are the same on the adjustment on the end where it attaches to the pump. I bet they are not and they are all the way backed down to the end. back them off and make sure the threads showing are the same or at least really close and that should fix your problem.

Lbilawncare
03-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Every mower I have run that is hydro I have adjusted to run as fast as it will go forward and left just a little for reverse. When I am going from yard to yard between accounts on the same block I can get there quicker and on big yards that are flat I can get them done faster as well. This may be what has happened to your mower. Someone must have taken all the reverse flow through the pumps and put it into the forward to get every ounce of speed that the pumps can put out before they decided to trade it in. Try looking at the rods going from the handle to the pumps and see if the threads showing are the same on the adjustment on the end where it attaches to the pump. I bet they are not and they are all the way backed down to the end. back them off and make sure the threads showing are the same or at least really close and that should fix your problem.

This is really good advise. Start with the simple things-steering rods. Don't bother with changing hydro fluid and filters yet.

LynchsLawnCare
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the advice! I am going to try adjusting the rods first. Keeping my fingers crossed :)