PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer for Maintenance crew.

grassyfras
03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm thinking that I need a new trailer to assist the crew with mulch, trimming, leaf removal, and regular clean-ups.

Right now, I'm running one truck mowing with an enclosed trailer with one or two men. The other truck seems always busy with one or two men doing landscape work. Only three of us total, averaging about 80 man hours a week, not including myself working about 30 man hours a week. Today we did 13 yards of mulch with just a truck with sides and 3 trips to the nursery. We had to drop off equipment with a two man crew and than go get the mulch. While the other guy mowed the yards for the day. It seemed really unproductive with this operation, since we were wasting time getting mulch by the closets nursery who is about $5 higher than most larger suppliers.

I don't know if I should buy a trailer for 3k or more for a dump trailer, buy another truck so I could send the two out alone when needed while I could do my own thing or join on of them.

jrs.landscaping
03-29-2012, 09:25 AM
If you are doing weekly landscaping, I would have to say buy a dump truck or dump trailer. One of our one ton dumps with high side boards will hold between 6 and 7 yards of mulch. I don't have a lot of experience with dump trailers but I know people who have had good luck with them. With a dump truck you could always haul a utility trailer for your mowers during cleanups. In my experience a dump truck is more versatile than a dump trailer. Something to consider.

CHRIS92789
03-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Just get a dump truck and a dump trailer!

GHL
03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
See, I would argue the other way in favor of the dump trailer. I have two trucks as well and bought a brimar dump 3 years back. I love it for a few reasons, first it just as good as a dump truck but it sits lower so it's easier to load and unload directly out of the trailer. Second, I can leave it, if i bring it out to a job with mulch or rock and have to run an errand or go get something the material stays at the job. Same can be said at the end of the day if I am returning and can leave it, it's one less thing to take with me. Third is the cost, I was able to get one brand new for far less than a used dump truck plus the insurance is lower on it as well.

I will caution however, that one of the biggest things is to buy a trailer that is suitable for the trucks you have because you will always want a bigger trailer, but then you need a bigger truck to haul it (hah).

What were running is a Brimar 60" x 8' single axle and with sides I can take 4-5 yds at a time. Besides mulch we use it for river rock, grass, and tree trimmings/logs. Great trailer, but as I mentioned above I already looking for a bigger one, and a F350 to pull it haha.

grassyfras
03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I have a 3/4 ton that dumps now. It helps a lot. A one ton almost seems like a good idea or adding the dump trailer with what I have. I like the less cost of insurance with a trailer.