PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Metro 26''

sparcolawn
03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have a Metro 26'' and if so, could you please give your reviews? I'm really in need of something like this but only have the review of the dealer right now and he's obviously saying its the best mower out there!

Get Some...
03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Alot faster than a 21" rear bagger.

Engage blades at 1/2 throttle to help with belt life.

greenerman
03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
YBravo 25 inch!

clinicalengineer
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
I own one. Yes its heavy. Yes it rolls like a tank, but I love it. Now when i use a 21" mower it feels like a toy compared to the 26". You eventually build up the arm strength to throw it around like a 21". I like it, others hate it.

zachj265
04-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I upgraded from a 21" Honda ($400 home depot model)to a metro 26" in February to increase efficiency cutting 10-12 yards per week. The extra 5 inches is supposed to increase efficiency 20%, which it successfully does. It seems more than 20% faster! In this aspect I am very satisfied. On the other hand it does not mulch as well as a home depot 21" Honda, which is sad considering a $1500 commercial mower cannot compete with the home depot 21" residential mower. The first time towed the metro with trailer I found the self propel handlebar at the bottom of trailer. It was strapped down but could not handle anything worse than a newly paved road without problems. I put the bar back on the mower and 2 months later no problems. After a month of using the metro one of the two springs used to adjust rear wheel height broke off. Mower still adjusts and mows fine. will fix once business slows down. Once again I am satisfied with the mower and it was the only model in my budget to justify 12 yards per week and still be profitable. I only notice the heaviness bagger getting full and going down steep incline. I'm 6'3" 250 so likely a different story for those not packing pounds.

jbell36
04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
overall the metro 26 gets a bad review, most are dissatisfied...we have used one...when bagging it's a great machine, but not mulching, just not enough power...they are also very heavy and very bulky...even our dealer steered us away from this one..i've been looking at the ybravo 25, saw it was 117 lbs. last night, can't remember what the metro 26 is, but i'm sure it's a lot heavier...there are a lot of features i like about the bravo

jbell36
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
alright so just checked out the exmark site, the ybravo weighs just as much as the 21" metro, which we do have...the bravo is 34 lbs. lighter than the metro 26

sildoc
05-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Have both and phasing out the exmark purely due to cost of replacement parts. Slowly phasing in the bravo25 over the exmark 26. Like the cut of both at low settings but the exmark beats the bravo in speed. overall the cost of repair is the only offset between these mowers. The exmark is somewhat finicky on how the blades are engaged, and have broke numerous belts. I have yet to break a belt on the bravo. That means at least a hour of repair every year per mower. Over all compared to a 21 you are years ahead, once you get used to the size, and any one that can push a 21 can use one so not much training factor involved.

cgaengineer
05-21-2012, 06:48 AM
I had the Metro 26"...key word HAD. I guess if you were cutting the same lawn every two days it would be fine. Heavy and way underpowered.

Posted via Mobile Device

RocketRollinSX
05-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Despite all the bad reviews I picked up a Metro 26 over the weekend. Its used and I got it for pretty cheap. Overall I agree that its a heavy tank for mowing, but I can see where having it will be nice. Its a good step for me before spending the money for the Ybravo. My plan is to run th Exmark this season and upgrade to the Ybravo next year. I think like anything else, it has its learning curve but once you get used to it you can run it just fine. I agree its not the best thing out there but for me, it was the next step for my business.

zachj265
06-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

zachj265
06-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Since I posted my Metro26 review on 4-5-12 the following problems have occurred. Keep in mind I just reached 50 hours! 1. The handle bar that is used to push the mower broke on half on one side where it connects to the mower. 2.The rattling noise turned out to be the engine working itself off the mower (rattled since day one). 3. The mower switches gears on it's own and sometimes cannot find 2nd gear. 4. Mower consistently squeals when mowing or riding in trailer which was supposedly already fixed by dealership. Neighbors know can hear the squeal from mower on trailer over my truck. 5. Now unable to turn mower left or right without excessive force. Yes I have greased all zircs. Called dealership who claims never had any problems with Metro 26. They advised to plan on up to 5 days down time while the complete the work covered under warranty. I take care of my equipment! My $400 residential Honda has 200 hours on it and the only repairs ever needed were new wheels and one wheel bolt. The metro is a pos. My truck has 295k, all lawn/landscape equipment is 2 years old never had issues with anything except this Exmark POS.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Since I posted my Metro26 review on 4-5-12 the following problems have occurred. Keep in mind I just reached 50 hours! 1. The handle bar that is used to push the mower broke on half on one side where it connects to the mower. 2.The rattling noise turned out to be the engine working itself off the mower (rattled since day one). 3. The mower switches gears on it's own and sometimes cannot find 2nd gear. 4. Mower consistently squeals when mowing or riding in trailer which was supposedly already fixed by dealership. Neighbors know can hear the squeal from mower on trailer over my truck. 5. Now unable to turn mower left or right without excessive force. Yes I have greased all zircs. Called dealership who claims never had any problems with Metro 26. They advised to plan on up to 5 days down time while the complete the work covered under warranty. I take care of my equipment! My $400 residential Honda has 200 hours on it and the only repairs ever needed were new wheels and one wheel bolt. The metro is a pos. My truck has 295k, all lawn/landscape equipment is 2 years old never had issues with anything except this Exmark POS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like I said...they are junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Like I said...they are junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually you said "Heavy and way underpowered.":laugh:

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

Just research Exmark metro for threads or replies by me... ;d

I will dog on a metro 26 any chance I get!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Besides, who rattled your chain? Isn't it 5:00 somewhere? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Besides, who rattled your chain? Isn't it 5:00 somewhere? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty sure it is... and it is Friday too.

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 06:02 PM
And I was being nice...kinda like when a new parent asks you "isn't he/she cute?" and really really wanna say..."you want my honest opinion?"
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Damn skippy...been waiting on Friday since Monday!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Bumpmaster
06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
IS it Tuesday yet?

Duekster
06-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Damn skippy...been waiting on Friday since Monday!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately, I may actually get to work some this Sunday. Something I hate to do with a passion but gotta small install job 90% complete and got washed out with rain. Need to get it wrapped up.

Took a good long nap today...

cgaengineer
06-15-2012, 06:06 PM
IS it Tuesday yet?

Sheesh...
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes the exmark 26 has it issues. I have broken 2 handles and they were replaced by exmark at no charge, they shipped to me so I could install so I don't have to wait for shop to get done. The engines do work loose once in a while but that is a check we do every other week. Belts break once a year or so. and the front wheels do need a upgrade kit every other year. Sounds if you have gotten one of the older models. But they increase our work significantly. and they save labor costs. The bravo has some faults also and we are running 3 bravos and 3 exmarks at this time and it is a toss up but will never go back to the 21 period no matter how many problems I have with the bigger mowers. It just saves too much money over all. I do have a exmark 26 that is a first run that has well over 3000 hours on it and just waiting for the engine to blow. then she will be a parts machine. she just keeps on ticking probably get 5k hours on her before she is junk.

Once you get used to the quirks you will be far ahead.

Bumpmaster
06-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Sheesh...
Posted via Mobile Device

Holy Moly! :cool2::cool2::cool2:

cgaengineer
06-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes the exmark 26 has it issues. I have broken 2 handles and they were replaced by exmark at no charge, they shipped to me so I could install so I don't have to wait for shop to get done. The engines do work loose once in a while but that is a check we do every other week. Belts break once a year or so. and the front wheels do need a upgrade kit every other year. Sounds if you have gotten one of the older models. But they increase our work significantly. and they save labor costs. The bravo has some faults also and we are running 3 bravos and 3 exmarks at this time and it is a toss up but will never go back to the 21 period no matter how many problems I have with the bigger mowers. It just saves too much money over all. I do have a exmark 26 that is a first run that has well over 3000 hours on it and just waiting for the engine to blow. then she will be a parts machine. she just keeps on ticking probably get 5k hours on her before she is junk.

Once you get used to the quirks you will be far ahead.

You list a shitload of problems and you tell me/us we got a first gen model...I never had a part break on mine...I sold it too fast. It couldn't cut thick bermuda...period...left circles all over lawns and was so underpowered that I cannot imagine R&D allowing it to be sold with such a weak engine. It would be like putting a pinto engine in an F250 and expecting it to pull a camper.
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
You list a shitload of problems and you tell me/us we got a first gen model...I never had a part break on mine...I sold it too fast. It couldn't cut thick bermuda...period...left circles all over lawns and was so underpowered that I cannot imagine R&D allowing it to be sold with such a weak engine. It would be like putting a pinto engine in an F250 and expecting it to pull a camper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can understand that for bermuda but we cut rye and fescue lawns. not underpowered except for the thick tall rained on grass in early spring. Other than that fine. I still wouldn't trade it for another 21" Saves me roughly 20k a year in labor costs over a 21 even with the problems they have. And to tell you the truth once you get used to its quirks it is no different than any other mower. I do wish they would build a normal walk behind in a 32" with a 10-12 hp engine that can be operated like a 21 can. You just can't throw anyone on a 36" hydro walk and expect things to look good.

cgaengineer
06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
No quirks on my 40 toro, 48 scag or 60 Kubota...many hours with oil, fuel and blade changes...not total parts failure

If I had a mower that kept breaking handles I'd junk it!

If it works for you, more power to ya...but until they can build it to last ill use a 21...which for me is almost never.
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
No quirks on my 40 toro, 48 scag or 60 Kubota...many hours with oil, fuel and blade changes...not total parts failure

If I had a mower that kept breaking handles I'd junk it!

If it works for you, more power to ya...but until they can build it to last ill use a 21...which for me is almost never.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok well you are comparing apples to oranges. You can't put any of those mowers on a ticky tacky home. Most houses here average 2-4k in turf with landscaped beds. You can't put a big mower there otherwise I would. Please keep reality in check!

cgaengineer
06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
You would laugh of you saw my smallest lawns cut with my 40"...I have one that's probably 500 sq ft front and another that's 1000 sq ft front. I do both with my 40" and they look great. I am however bidding on a 29 acre cemetery and I'm wondering if my 40 is going to work out, going out tomorrow to measure the paths to see if they are over 40"...if so I'm game, of not I will have to look for something that will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
06-18-2012, 11:31 PM
You would laugh of you saw my smallest lawns cut with my 40"...I have one that's probably 500 sq ft front and another that's 1000 sq ft front. I do both with my 40" and they look great. I am however bidding on a 29 acre cemetery and I'm wondering if my 40 is going to work out, going out tomorrow to measure the paths to see if they are over 40"...if so I'm game, of not I will have to look for something that will fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok? So If I had no landscaped beds I could fit a 72 or larger on some of my small lawns but note you are still comparing apples to a candy bar. If it won't fit then you can't use it, thus we use the larger push mowers on most of our accounts. Now on the larger accounts we put what will fit.
Before you respond please look when I joined LS.

zachj265
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

zachj265
07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
This is my 3d post about the metro 26. My last post mentioned inability to turn left or right and that I greased all zircs. Turns out I missed a zirc. After reviewing the maintenance schedule I decided to complete the 100 hour service 50 hours before scheduled. The 100 hour service recommends greasing a zirc located behind a Removable plate located near the grass discharge area. Once I pumped grease into this hidden spot the mower began to turn like it's supposed to. I also mentioned the handle bar broke, i which fixed by bolting handlebar 2" lower using the bolt holes intended for shorter operators. Since then the plastic inserts located at each end of the throttle bar have been lost or broken off during on of many times that the throttle bar has simply fallen of the handle bar while mowing the dry hard ground. Other than a lopsided front wheel I have no other complaints except for the lack of rain!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
This is my 3d post about the metro 26. My last post mentioned inability to turn left or right and that I greased all zircs. Turns out I missed a zirc. After reviewing the maintenance schedule I decided to complete the 100 hour service 50 hours before scheduled. The 100 hour service recommends greasing a zirc located behind a Removable plate located near the grass discharge area. Once I pumped grease into this hidden spot the mower began to turn like it's supposed to. I also mentioned the handle bar broke, i which fixed by bolting handlebar 2" lower using the bolt holes intended for shorter operators. Since then the plastic inserts located at each end of the throttle bar have been lost or broken off during on of many times that the throttle bar has simply fallen of the handle bar while mowing the dry hard ground. Other than a lopsided front wheel I have no other complaints except for the lack of rain!
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what I get out of your reply...

I've put 5 new engines, 3 transmissions, 4 drive axles, two computers and replaced brakes 10 times in 2000 miles...other than a little down time it's been a great car.... ;);)
Posted via Mobile Device

zachj265
07-30-2012, 07:24 PM
That's funny! Apparently you get my point!
Posted via Mobile Device

Scagguy
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
My dealer who carries Exmarks won't sell or repair a Metro 26 unless you bought the POS from him. He's down to about 3 guys who still own them. I tried one out one time. Mowed about half of a 1000 sq ft front yard then took it back to the dealer. Way under powered, heavy, and a total piece of garbage.

cgaengineer
07-30-2012, 10:06 PM
That's funny! Apparently you get my point!
Posted via Mobile Device

I do, and I too have owned one.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
My dealer who carries Exmarks won't sell or repair a Metro 26 unless you bought the POS from him. He's down to about 3 guys who still own them. I tried one out one time. Mowed about half of a 1000 sq ft front yard then took it back to the dealer. Way under powered, heavy, and a total piece of garbage.

Ditto...except I sold mine at a loss to some poor bastard on Craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Scagguy
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Ditto...except I sold mine at a loss to some poor bastard on Craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope that poor sob doesn't know where you live. Haha!!!

cgaengineer
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
I hope that poor sob doesn't know where you live. Haha!!!

He knows where my now empty office is! So scared he'd come back I moved!
Posted via Mobile Device

zachj265
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
This is my 4th post about this POS. My good mower (exmark 32") is in the shop under warranty repair. I've had to use the 26" metro for a week now as a backup. Last year most of the previously mentioned problems were fixed under warranty on the 26" metro so I decided to hang on to it as a backup. Sure enough 8 hours of use since being fixed and the front left wheel is causing alignment problems. 9 hours of use and the wheel adjusts cutting height on its own. This is the worst product I've ever purchased and isn't reliable for a backup mower. I'm ready to remove the engine and throw the mower in the dumpster. Anyone know of a good use for the engine? Just venting.