PDA

View Full Version : How not to throw grass on house or cars?

greenchoppers
03-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Hello,

We seem to be having some kind of issue with grass being thrown on to houses and/or vehicles, especially in small yards where there isn't much room to work. Any tips on how to prevent this from happening in small yards? It seems to happen more often while trimming.

Please keep sarcastic responses to yourself. This is a real problem for us and would appreciate any responses to treat it as a serious problem.

Thanks.*trucewhiteflag*

grandview (2006)
03-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Simple run the grass catcher on it. And teach your guys how to trim left handed.

93Chevy
03-29-2012, 06:23 PM
1. Aim the chute away
2. Throttle down
3. Chute blocker
4. Mulch kit
5. Grass catcher

yardguy28
03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
as for trimming I always walk backwards with the trimmer. I'd rather do that than teach myself to trim left handed.

mowing, personally I use a grass catcher in those situations.

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
You're trimming wrong. Trim left handed like grandview said. My helpers are REQUIRED to trim left handed.

calvinslawnservices
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I am build a chute blocker for my mower. As for trimming, Most the houses I mow have landscaping around the perimeter.

martinlawn29
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Power chute ! Electric power chute sounds like to much mower for small lawns...small side bagger

1whitetail
03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
as for trimming I always walk backwards with the trimmer. I'd rather do that than teach myself to trim left handed.

mowing, personally I use a grass catcher in those situations.

I thought I was the only one that trimmed backwards. I have never seen anyone else doing it that way. People probably think that I don't know what I am doing. :rolleyes:

yardguy28
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
You're trimming wrong. Trim left handed like grandview said. My helpers are REQUIRED to trim left handed.

I thought I was the only one that trimmed backwards. I have never seen anyone else doing it that way. People probably think that I don't know what I am doing. :rolleyes:

apparently dick doesn't think either one of us is doing it right.

Smallaxe
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I was sitting at a fast food place, in the drive through lane, when the fast food place next door had a weed eater going along the ditch between the properties...

The guy was kicking up stones trying to get the weeds chewed down to ground level!!! one of those stones shot across and hit my truck?!?!?

Grasscatchers, don't fix stupidity... it is possible to weedeat w/out throwing stuff in direction of anything that shouldn't be hit... and no reason to grind up the ground and kicking up stones... that area should've been void of weeds with RP/pre-m, for proper management... :)

calvinslawnservices
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Power chute ! Electric power chute sounds like to much mower for small lawns...small side bagger

Some of us are fancy enough for electric.:laugh: Mine uses a universal socket and a piece of rod.

93Chevy
03-29-2012, 08:32 PM

Well if there's a better way...

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Now why did you have to do that? I was giving you a wide bearth and not saying anything about your posts while other people attack you left and right.

yardguy28
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
do what???

jelgan
03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm right handed but I trim walking backwards--left--I can control the Sthil better that way. I also just put a Powerchute on--wish I had done that sooner--whole lot easier to not have to worry about grass going in flower beds!

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Trim left handed or backwards, as far as the grass against the house.. I try to mow so the grass is shooting away from the house at least two passes away.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Im with these guys
If your head rotate counter clockwise you need walk left
So will pull stuff away from the edge if walk to right all ur trimming clippings will blow towards the house or bedding areas
I always walk sideways I better view of what I trimming

yardguy28
03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm sticking to walking backwards with the trimmer. I get the same effect as those who trim left handed. everything gets thrown at my legs and behind me instead of at the house or in the mulch beds.

grandview (2006)
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Now all they need to make is a gear that you can put in the reverse the head.

Brett's Lawn Care
04-01-2012, 01:52 AM
I heard that Stihl is supposedly coming out with a reverse rotating head so all of us right handed people can trim right handed without blowing grass in the area we don't want grass... I think this will just create the opposite problem and people will complain then too. Figure out what works for you and do it. I have trained myself to walk next to the house where the house is on my right and trim so that the clippings are dispersed ino the yard not piled against the house
Posted via Mobile Device

Tharrell
04-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Man, I used to walk backwards until I needed to up my productivity. Like after the first season.
I can almost run and trim now. Right hand on the trigger, trimmer crossed over to my left hand.
My legs still get covered.
As far as grass getting on anything, you'll learn that only through experience.

ShooterK2
04-01-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't know.... I trim right handed and don't go backwards unless it's a chain link fence or something similar. I don't ever have grass piled up near the house or anything like that. Not anything noticeable anyway. Maybe it's because we have Bermuda here?

You're cutting Bermuda out east as well, aren't you Richard?

yardguy28
04-01-2012, 07:56 AM
I heard that Stihl is supposedly coming out with a reverse rotating head so all of us right handed people can trim right handed without blowing grass in the area we don't want grass... I think this will just create the opposite problem and people will complain then too. Figure out what works for you and do it. I have trained myself to walk next to the house where the house is on my right and trim so that the clippings are dispersed ino the yard not piled against the house
Posted via Mobile Device

I do it that way on occasion but I prefer to walk backwards.

Man, I used to walk backwards until I needed to up my productivity. Like after the first season.
I can almost run and trim now. Right hand on the trigger, trimmer crossed over to my left hand.
My legs still get covered.
As far as grass getting on anything, you'll learn that only through experience.

I can trim just as fast walking backwards as I can walking forward so I fail to see how walking backwards slows down productivity???

Richard Martin
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
You're cutting Bermuda out east as well, aren't you Richard?

I only have 1 Burmuda lawn. Mostly Centipede and Bahia.

ashgrove landscaping
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Some of us are fancy enough for electric.:laugh: Mine uses a universal socket and a piece of rod.

Can we get a picture of that thing. I've got a power chute and think its the best but I want to build a simple manual for the extra mower. I was going to use the universal socket idea too but just wanted to check out how someone else did it.