PDA

View Full Version : anyone else been hit by a car

michael14
03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I was edging by a busy highway last week and i kept looking back to see of anything was coming. I guess I didn't see her but while I was edging I felt like someone hauled off an hit me in the back with a bat of something. So I jerked up and saw this car goin down three road with the mirror hanging off and as much as I was hurting I busted out Laughing after seeing it. I just kept goin but had to stop for gas and she pulls up and asked me to pay to fix her car. Is that crazy or what!???!!

KrayzKajun
03-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Wht did she say? I've come close, I know there are regs on wearing safety colored shirts or vest while working near a rd or so close to one.
Posted via Mobile Device

michael14
03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
She asked what happened and I said you hit me, then she said no you hit me. And there aren't any regs on clothing or anything here, atleast not for mowers.

THEGOLDPRO
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
So did you get arrested for punching her in the face or no???

93Chevy
03-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Somebody shouldn't be allowed to reproduce

Ridin' Green
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
She asked what happened and I said you hit me, then she said no you hit me. And there aren't any regs on clothing or anything here, atleast not for mowers.

Pedestrians always have the right of way. She is supposed to maintain control of her vehicle at all times, and that certainly wasn't the case with you.

I hope you got her lisence plate #, and/or called the cops on her. She needs to at least get a large ticket/fine. On top of that, you may start having trouble down the road with your back, and you should have this all on record with the local LEA. If she took that attitude with you after hitting you, she's obviously careless and callous, and she'll more than likely hit someone else one day too.

Jusmowin
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Your wrong! There is an organization called OSHA look up the reg on your state site. A class 2 safety vest is required for ANY ROAD SIDE WORK UNDER 50mph. class 3 safety vest is for 50 mph and over. Those are VA laws, I don't about your state. However a $25 safety vest and a few 48 inch safety cone might save your life one day as they have me for the last year . Hope your doing well, just don't wana smashed lawn guys on the news at night.:)

93Chevy
03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Your wrong! There is an organization called OSHA look up the reg on your state site. A class 2 safety vest is required for ANY ROAD SIDE WORK UNDER 50mph. class 3 safety vest is for 50 mph and over. Those are VA laws, I don't about your state. However a $25 safety vest and a few 48 inch safety cone might save your life one day as they have me for the last year . Hope your doing well, just don't wana smashed lawn guys on the news at night.:)

OSHA doesn't apply to companies that don't fall under OSHA's jurisdiction.

Although it is a good idea to wear safety vests working roadside.

Richard Martin
03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Pedestrians always have the right of way.

Only in a crosswalk. Anarchy would rein if pedestrians had the right of way everywhere.

If you walk down the middle of the road and someone accidentally hits you, it's your fault.

If you see someone walking in the road and hit them then it's your fault. You are required to maintain a safe lookout and attempt to avoid an accident if possible.

Many pedestrians get hit and killed in the roadway and no charges are filed.

I want to know if the OP had any kind of warnings out to traffic that there was a man working on the side of the road?

OakNut
03-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I rarely need to work at the roadside. Residential streets mainly, but nothing where cars are traveling over 40 MPH.

Last season I had a job at a property on a busy road (posted speed 45-55mph can't recall), and as such, I donned my safety vest that I keep in the truck just in case.
I swear to God that it was like a magnet to vehicles. I watched as car after car came closer and closer to the white line as they approached me. It was like I was worth points for whoever hit me or something. It was weird.

michael14
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I was off the road and didn't have time to call the police. Yea I know I should've.

Gilmore.Landscaping
03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Where you standing on the road or grass when you were edging?

If your on the road....your fault
if your on the grass...her fault

If she managed to hit you with her mirror then she must have practically jumped the curb?

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
That is rediculos! She should of got arrested or at least slapped with a fine.

michael14
03-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Off the grass and off the road there is about 3 feet between them.

JB1
03-29-2012, 11:44 PM
you should of dropped to the ground and flopped around like a fish out of water.

Ridin' Green
03-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Only in a crosswalk. Anarchy would rein if pedestrians had the right of way everywhere.

If you walk down the middle of the road and someone accidentally hits you, it's your fault.

If you see someone walking in the road and hit them then it's your fault. You are required to maintain a safe lookout and attempt to avoid an accident if possible.

Many pedestrians get hit and killed in the roadway and no charges are filed.

I want to know if the OP had any kind of warnings out to traffic that there was a man working on the side of the road?

The laws may be different in your state, but here the pedestrian has the right of way on any road as long as they aren't being stupid (like walking down the middle of a busy road), or intenionally impeding traffic. Bicyclists are to stay to the outside edge of the road's pavement, but they still have the right of way since they are the more vulnerable in an accident situation. Same thing for guys working near a roadway. There should be warning signs posted before the area where they are working, but if a car strikes a person working near a roadway, it is the drivers fault for failure to maintain control of their car, and for failure to maintain a safe dsitance from a worker.

MOturkey
03-30-2012, 10:01 AM
All I can say is, man you were lucky. Glad you weren't seriously injured. I learned my lesson when I was only 17 or so. I was driving only a block from our house, on a state highway with a 45 mph speed limit. Some guys were working on the water lines along the road. No such thing as safety vests then, but I could see them with no problem. I probably slowed down a bit, but didn't pull over. Just as I got almost even with the workers, one of them took a step backwards, stepping into the edge of the road. I missed him, but it scared me so badly I never again took it for granted that anyone along a road is going to remain safely out of the way. What made it worse was it was a small town, and I knew they guy well. I always thought of how I would have felt if I had killed the man because I was in too big a hurry to slow down and move over when passing them.

You should have called the cops, simply because this lady probably didn't learn her lesson, especially since she was more concerned with her broken mirror than whether or not you were injured. THAT would have ticked me off royally. Odds are she was on her cell phone at the time.

BestImpressions99
03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Please tell us you got her tag number and her name.

BestImpressions99
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Why do you think the police departments have the law that you have to change lanes... That lady was ignorant and should have been arrested just for making SUCH a stupid comment.

punt66
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
haha, ok. First of all. The lady did commit a hit and run. Second, even if he was required to put out signs she is still at fault. She hit him. She failed to maintain control. End of story.

weeze
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
pedestrians always have the right of way. it's a law.

michael14
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Yea she was extremely ignorant. And Naw I didn't do anything, I didn't have time to deal with all the crap it would involve. I told her to go home.

Richard Martin
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Something doesn't add up in this story. Was there a curb? What was the speed limit? How many lanes is it? What time of day did this occur? Details please.

So apparently the collision occurred and the lady turned around and came back? Or did you drive to a gas station and she caught up with you?

93Chevy
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
pedestrians always have the right of way. it's a law.

Not if they're not at a crosswalk.

Ridin' Green
03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Not if they're not at a crosswalk.

Like I said to RM, in this state, pedestrians always have the right of way unless they are intentionally impeding traffic.

michael14
03-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Att. Mr. Richard Martin; 5:30ish, 2 lane , 50mph, about 3 feet between curb and the road. And I can take you there and show you the glass.I was over a foot of the road.

Busybee Lawns
03-31-2012, 01:20 AM
People please invest in some highway Cones! about $18 to $20 anything that makes you more visible. I put them on my trailer, I use them to mark off my truck and trailer on any job .because people just fly by. While I'm working. I want them to Slow down or add caution.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-31-2012, 02:44 AM
People please invest in some highway Cones! about $18 to $20 anything that makes you more visible. I put them on my trailer, I use them to mark off my truck and trailer on any job .because people just fly by. While I'm working. I want them to Slow down or add caution.

I have a stack of 12 on my trailer, just in case.

Richard Martin
03-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Att. Mr. Richard Martin; 5:30ish, 2 lane , 50mph, about 3 feet between curb and the road. And I can take you there and show you the glass.I was over a foot of the road.

Please pardon my questions but I like to get a complete picture of what happened. So you have a curb, then a 3 foot area like a bike lane or something and then the white line? And you were standing about a foot or so from the white line?

michael14
03-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Please pardon my questions but I like to get a complete picture of what happened. So you have a curb, then a 3 foot area like a bike lane or something and then the white line? And you were standing about a foot or so from the white line?

Yes, her passenger tires where totally over the white line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm tending to think that you were both at fault. She should have been able to keep her car between the lines and you should have known better than to stand that close to the white line on a 50 MPH road. Although a court would ultimately find her responsible there is a personal responsibility here that you should have had. I hope you learned something from this experience and I'm glad that you weren't hurt.

Where I live the drivers are morons. I realize it and takes steps to protect myself from them. These people will not slow down for anything. They also have some sort of phobia to taking steps to avoid a pedestrian. If I see someone walking down the side of the road I move over so I can put as much distance between my vehicle and the person walking. Even if it means getting a tire over the yellow line if it's safe to do so. If it's not safe to move over then I slow down. I try to prepare for the unexpected in every situation. People trip. Sometimes they're drunk. Sometimes they just do unpredictable things for no reason.

These people do nothing. They continue about their merry way at 55 MPH whizzing inches past people. I know that they do this. And now you do too.

punt66
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Yes, her passenger tires where totally over the white line.
Posted via Mobile Device

By the way, what you did by not reporting this was very stupid.

THEGOLDPRO
03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
By the way, what you did by not reporting this was very stupid.

No kidding, If i got hit by a chick not paying attention i would call trantolo+trantolo and would be driving a new Lexus next week.

fastlane
03-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Have you heard the term "DEAD RIGHT" It means you could legally be in the right -but you are still dead! It's your job to protect yourself.

michael14
03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Yea I know I was stupid for not reporting it ,but I'll never edge with my back to the traffic again. And it did get my attention.

Deebo53
03-31-2012, 06:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5OZVvD4Jo

LawnMan19
03-31-2012, 07:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5OZVvD4Jo

It seems like it.:laugh::laugh: