PDA

View Full Version : Management companies(National/ Semi-National) will ruin this industry.

LITCHFIELD Landscape
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
We are a large enough company that we donot need to work for the USM;s and BFS's... These companies are taking a MGMT cut and the providers donot get the money they need to do the job. When are the Rites Aids, the CVS Caremarks, the BOA's and the Walgreens going to realize that they will be better off using companies Large enough like our that HAVE their own Trucks and employees and SUBS IN HOUSE.............. USM is nothing BUT a Mgmt company.

Anybody believe this is true????? Lets here ya?!

1whitetail
03-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I agree with you, large corporations are paying more going this route than if they went with smaller regional companies but they love the "national account" BS nowadays. They don't care about saving money, even though they say they do, they just want to deal with one company. Large national corporations like to deal with other large national corporations remember neither are for the small mom and pop businesses so why do business with them and support them. :(

Mahoney3223
03-29-2012, 11:10 PM
The problem is most guys are dumb. By that I mean they think that by mowing commercial properties that BFS and SPW and the rest offer this will magically make them huge! The paperwork associated with doing them sucks. I've been there done that and I will never ever ever work for BFS or the like again. If I can't go in and talk to a manager myself about something, no thx. They are subbing you work taking the profit off the top and then riding you like a horse to fill tedious work order that they lowball you on. Until guys realize you can make more money doing resi work it'll continue.

jrs.landscaping
03-30-2012, 08:13 PM
We should all look at the Wal Mart USM marriage:hammerhead:. It didn't take long for Wal Mart to realize there is no cooker cutter way to manage national corporations. We maintain a local Wal Mart and planned to bid on a Lowes which is right next door. As soon as we found out they were run by a managment company that idea went right out the window!!!!

ed2hess
03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't understand any of this what are you talking about? This is some east coast thing?

sealcutter
03-30-2012, 09:41 PM
The problem is most guys are dumb. By that I mean they think that by mowing commercial properties that BFS and SPW and the rest offer this will magically make them huge! The paperwork associated with doing them sucks. I've been there done that and I will never ever ever work for BFS or the like again. If I can't go in and talk to a manager myself about something, no thx. They are subbing you work taking the profit off the top and then riding you like a horse to fill tedious work order that they lowball you on. Until guys realize you can make more money doing resi work it'll continue.

I agree with you 100%.
But they find that small co. ride them out for 1-2 years and move on to the next and this keeps them going.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
We ignore half a dozen calls from these places every year now. They will give you a bidding list, some of the properties do not even have lawns or are part of a mall that's all under one account. But that doesn't stop them from wasting your time then the bids have to be done in like 1-2 days. They always have some fake deadline. If you show any interest and then decide not to bother they keep extending the deadlines and keep on you because they have their magic number of quotes they need and anyone with a brain runs. Its always the big stuff too Lowe's, Home Depot, Wall mart, Toys R us perhaps a pharmacy even had them offer the truck stop next to I95 here.

But then comes the little F Us get this signed every time call it in with in 4 hours or don't get paid. They ask for Fert,tree work, irrigation, parking lot cleaning you name it as part of the bid despite that very few offer all that. I am still owed 400 dollars from one in 2006 I have no idea why these companies exist they serve no purpose. The grass is always greener on the other side and so you feel compelled to try this but you quickly learn having a few hundred residential clients is the better way to go.

Green Feet Lawn
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
We are a large enough company that we donot need to work for the USM;s and BFS's... These companies are taking a MGMT cut and the providers donot get the money they need to do the job. When are the Rites Aids, the CVS Caremarks, the BOA's and the Walgreens going to realize that they will be better off using companies Large enough like our that HAVE their own Trucks and employees and SUBS IN HOUSE.............. USM is nothing BUT a Mgmt company.

Management companies offer value to the large national companies. As companies streamline their processes and eliminate positions within their own operations, they are looking to reduce their vendor base. This allows them to have a single point of contact who manages all their properties.

In turn the property management company has to deal with a gazillion vendors for a boat load of properties on myriad of issues. For this, they get a percentage.

Most of us subcontract work and pay out less than we get paid. But in the end, we are responsible for the job.

If you choose to work for a managment company, it is in your best interest to understand what is expected of you. If you do not understand their requirements, you should stay away.

BTW ... It is pretty standard to be required to add your customer as an additional insured on your GL policy for commercial work

pressley10r
04-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Managment/contracting companies are aggravating as hell. With their paperwork, pricing, guidelines what have you. Local walgreens I maintain just got transferred to "eco contracting" now eco had a falling out with walgreens now I have another mountain of paperwork to transfer to the new company, and no telling what they are going to set the price at since they decide how much they pay.

LITCHFIELD Landscape
04-13-2012, 10:18 PM
The national mgmt companies are BAD for our BIZ. You oviously didnt read what I wrote.... Thanks though!

orangemower
04-13-2012, 10:54 PM
I think the nationals are a joke. Why not have each store deal with the service? Each areas market is different so the prices will differ. I'll never work for one. I can't see letting someone else get part of the money. I'm in business to make money. Why work for less?

pressley10r
04-13-2012, 11:07 PM
The national mgmt companies are BAD for our BIZ. You oviously didnt read what I wrote.... Thanks though!

Not sure if that was directed at me. Also not sure about "oviously". That sounds like something a woman would get checked out with her gynecologist.

White Gardens
04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
1.) Corporate business are using management companies because it does save them money. They basically take out the money management of paying 1000's of LCO's by only paying one company.

2.) Nationals take the estimating work out of the hands of the managers so that the managers in theory can use their skills that pertain more to the in store management where the money is made for these corporations.

3.) With store managers taken out of the mix, the local wine and dining of managers to gain accounts is taken out of the picture. Basically pricing for services might get bloated just because a manager likes the perks he's receiving from a company.

4.) I tell people all the time. There are more larger local outfits that are driving prices down way worse than most nationals. We did an estimate for 11 McDonald's locations last year and the winning bid was 50% of the top three.

And to conclude. We do work for BFS. We get good pricing for the accounts we receive and we are paid every month as stated in the contracts.

I also work with a great rep for BFS who communicates and keeps me informed on everything I need to know.

National contracts are the new game, either play it or move aside. And if you also don't like it, go start your own national company.

White Gardens
04-13-2012, 11:44 PM
And the only other thing I want to add is yes, there is good National Management Companies and there are bad ones.

Green Feet Lawn
04-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Not sure if that was directed at me. Also not sure about "oviously". That sounds like something a woman would get checked out with her gynecologist.

:laugh: Ha Ha Ha