PDA

View Full Version : Home Based

turfproinc
12-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Is it possible to run a lawncare business from the garage until you get big enough move into a shop? Or are the maintenance requirements to great? Enlighten me please.

burninbill
12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
Our shop is a garage behind my partners house. Is 2 1/2 car and 30ft. deep. We keep equipment on trailer until time to sharpen blades and that kind of stuff. It works out just fine for us. Let me know if I can help anymore.
Jon Walker
cutting edge lawn and landscape

bubble boy
12-12-2002, 01:32 PM
definately possible re: space

but your town may have by-laws restricting you. ie: no commercial vehicle parking, etc.

rodfather
12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
I think in some instances you have to until your business grows enough to the point you can afford to move into a separate location.

But it comes a time when it is nice not to have to look at your equipment in the middle of your driveway 24/7. I know it was a great relief for me to find a separate location about a year after i was in business.

Rhett
12-12-2002, 01:33 PM
You will find alot of people do. Make sure you check with local goverment or home owner associalton about any restrictions. In my case I can, but am not allowed to have any large industrial equipment on site or have employee traffic. Kinda open to individual interpitation. I just try to stay in the good graces of my nieghbors.

higherpower
12-12-2002, 01:41 PM
It is very possible! I have been operating our of my 2 car garrage for almost 10 years. I have change engines, transmissions, fixed my spindles. etc. I have an air compressor an array of tools to help in fixing my eqipment. I have Dixon, a 48" Snapper, and 60" Snapper plus 3 21"selfpropelled. In my case this has been very good for me. I save on rent plus I can work on my equipment whenever I have the time instead of having to go across town to a shop. Of course, if you grow to big, you probably must have a shop. Hope everything turns out well for you. Merry Cristmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mklawnman
12-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Yeah its possible to operate from the home. We do it right now but it is starting to become a pain in the butt. We live in a subdivision, but the lots are fairly big, ours is 2.5acres so plenty big. Right now we just have a one car shed out in back, it wasnt built for my business at the time, but it has turned into my shed now. Getting crowed in it and such, time for a bigger one or else look for some land to build a shed on. We keep the trailer next to the driveway which my dad calls it "the lovely lawn ornament" Looks a little tacky but not bad. But its really handy when you need to work on the machines and you dont need to drive anywhere its all in the back shed. It's not my house and if it was my house i would probley go and find some land to build a decent shop/shed hate driving all my equipment down to the shed after the day is done considering i dont have an enclosed trailer yet.
Matt

Evan528
12-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
[B.But it comes a time when it is nice not to have to look at your equipment in the middle of your driveway 24/7. I know it was a great relief for me to find a separate location about a year after i was in business. [/B]

Amen Rodfather! I ran my business out of my home for the past 9 years. I just recently rented a shop to now run my business out of. Sure is nice to walk out the front door of my home and not see 2 trailers parked anymore. I love this business, but I also need time to get away from it when im not working!

SIG
12-12-2002, 02:13 PM
I do as well--- 52' x 30' Pole Building. I live back a 600' driveway, so nobody can even see my house. I got lucky when I found this place!!

DLCS
12-12-2002, 04:03 PM
I run my business out of my home. I use my garage as my shop. I have to admit its getting crowded. I have no problems with city ordinances as long as no customers come to my house. I keep all my equipment inside so as to keep the neighbors happy. Also, I wouldn't want to see the trailer sitting in my driveway everyday.

Mike
DLCS

Jusmowin
12-12-2002, 09:49 PM
I would guess in my area that 80% of all of the lawn services in my area are run out of their houses/ garages.

Barkleymut
12-12-2002, 10:19 PM
This is something that really bugged me when we bought our home last year. We ended up moving into a neighborhood where the lots are only about 1/3 of an acre. I wanted to move out to the country but the wife said fine if we send the kids (2) to private school instead of with those redneck kids. So I now ante up about $180/month to store all my stuff and park my trailer at a storage unit which luckily is only 1.8 miles from my home. I do keep a couple of seasonal pieces of equipment in the garage and I plan to build a shed this winter to keep a few extra things since the 10x30 storage unit is getting really tight.

MOOSE
12-13-2002, 12:14 AM
STORAGE RENTAL PLACES.

Like E-Z Mini Storage.

I have a 10' x 30' and an out side parking spot there and I get charged $225 a month. I've been there 5 years and prices have gone up but not mine. I'm friends withe managment now..
It is worth the $$ and plus I live 22 miles from almost all my jobs.. Just imagine if I took everything home.. I would spend more then that in gas plus my neighbors hated me the first year I went into biz.. Just my cents worth.

The Mowerdude
12-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Crazygator runs his from an enclosed trailer. Mine is run from a single space garage and a very narrow driveway.

The city has made a fuss at times, but I've also gotten to know the law and I know just what I can do and what I can't do. In fact, one time I had to go to court on a complaint. The judge asked me if I was running a business from my home. I said that I wasn't. I don't bring my customer's yards over to the house to cut them. My business line is a cell phone, and as soon as I can rake the money together, I'm moving my CLIP program to a laptop which I'll build a console to accomodate it in the truck. I saw the one that GroundKprs had and I like it a lot. (it was one of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.

Bottom line for me, right now. Anything that I have to rent is going to add to my cost of doing business and take away from the miniscule profits I'm running on now.

IBGreen
12-13-2002, 02:57 AM
turfpro, what part of AR are you from? Yes, running a business from home is fine, but of course once you grow you'll have to get a building for all of the equipment and yada, yada, yada.

Bunton Guy
12-13-2002, 10:31 AM
I run mine out of a storage unit at a local mini storage. I have 3 trailers and 2 trucks and outgrew running it out of my parents home. Lately I have been thinking about moving into a real shop with around 3,000 Sq. feet of shop space and 1,000 of that being office space. But they want around 1,000 per month for rent + utilities.

turfproinc
12-13-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm in Northwest Arkansas. Home of the Hogs baby!

JimLewis
12-13-2002, 12:12 PM
You can definitely run things out of your garage / home for a while until you get multiple crews, trucks, trailers, etc. going. Then you really got to get a shop. And, of course, it depends on how your neighbors feel about it. Most communities have laws restricting how much business can go on at a home. And if your neighbors cause a fuss you would have to change. Around here I can work out of my home and have one company vehicle in front of my home. But I can't have supplies, trailers, etc. in my garage. So we have a shop. Even then, one neighbor still bitches a little just because my crews show up to my house every morning to get their schedules and gas money.

Earthscapes
12-13-2002, 01:00 PM
I run out of my garage also. The main key is to keep your neighbors happy. If they are cutting i may walk across the street and trim for them and sometimes i cut their lawns when they are on vacation. In the winter i always plow their drives for them,,send them x-mas cards and such. I couldn't tell you the times i have walked outside and had a case of beer on the steps or have been handed 50 or 100 bucks and they just say thankyou. I always say no but that never works.

When i kick my wife (her car)out of the garage ,,then i know i have too much and need a shop.......

turfproinc
12-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I thought a storage building would be the way to go and it seems that many of you use them to operate out of. I can save the garage for repair work and playing darts when it rains.

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 02:40 PM
I use my garage. Not really a problem. I'm in a subdivision so I try to hide my equipment as much as possible. My trailer sits outside but is tucked away next to the garage. We have a fenced in backyard so sometimes I stash equipment back there.

The big worry I have is burning the garage and house down while I'm welding or using the cutting torch. I'm considering a sprinkler system.

Simply Green
12-14-2002, 02:26 AM
I'm gonna keep using the garage until my wife kicks me out.I like having all of my equipment here and not a few miles down the road somewehere.I guess if I had serveral crews then I would have a shop or rent a space but it's just me and some back-up help when I need so I don't need the extra expense.Until you reach crew status or run out of room in the garage,just keep everything there out the house.Makes everything so much easier.

Darryl G
12-14-2002, 02:58 AM
I'm solo and run the business out of the house. I'll well back from the road and only have one neighbor to worry about who has a right-of-way across my driveway. He couldn't care less what I do. Most equipment is locked in the garage daily. My truck and trailer are in the driveway and the tractor and implements are stored in the back yard. My biggest problem with working out of the house is getting my 5 and 8 year old boys to understand when I'm working and need to be left alone.

Soupy
12-14-2002, 03:25 AM
Darryl, I have the same problem with working out of my house. But it's my wife that doesn't understand that there is still work to be done. She thinks I'm surfing Lawnsite for fun :D

Seriously though, She thinks that just because I'm home the work is over. She doesn't understand that I still need to enter everything in the computer, maybe make a couple of calls then out to the garage to sharpen some blades or maintenance on the mowers.

She doesn't complain when she's on her way to the shopping mall though :)

Soupy

jsaunders
12-21-2002, 10:52 PM
I've been working at home for 2 years- out of the enclosed trailer, another perk of the trailer. This year I've been "paying" for space. I'm got the walls and first floor done on my garage (32x48) with 12' walls. It should take alittle time to fill it up.:D At least I have a great wife said we needed a garage before a new house! Now that I built an almost 3,000 sqt garage she is going to want a house at least as big. :p
Joel

Randy Scott
12-22-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by turfproinc
Is it possible to run a lawncare business from the garage until you get big enough move into a shop?

Or are the maintenance requirements to great? Enlighten me please.
Yes.
No.

lawncare3
12-22-2002, 02:27 AM
But it comes a time when it is nice not to have to look at your equipment in the middle of your driveway 24/7.
I personallylike to look @ my equip it reminds me of something I just can't put my finger on.

cclllc
12-22-2002, 01:49 PM
I have run my biz out of a garage since 1985.In '99 we bought a bigger home with a bigger garage-30x60 and a 20x20 pole barn.I felt like a bird out of a cage but now both are full again.I have 2 old T/A's that I am working on so they take up a little space.I still leave alot of stuff outside that is why I want a box van to work out of instead of a trailer.So far I haven't had any complaints from neighbors but I cut one next to me so that helps.