PDA

View Full Version : 28 hp vanguard = awesome

mag360
03-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Just picked up a ferris with the 28hp vanguard motor and holy cow this things a powerhouse. I'm wondering what the difference is between these and the 30 and 32hp versions. They have the same displacement - I heard a theory that the 30hp is just a 32 set to run at a lower rpm but the 28 sounds like it's running at full throttle. Maybe a stop on the butterfly...

I am pleasantly surprised and prefer this motor to the 31 kawi on our hustler...

Ridin' Green
03-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Just picked up a ferris with the 28hp vanguard motor and holy cow this things a powerhouse. I'm wondering what the difference is between these and the 30 and 32hp versions. They have the same displacement - I heard a theory that the 30hp is just a 32 set to run at a lower rpm but the 28 sounds like it's running at full throttle. Maybe a stop on the butterfly...

I am pleasantly surprised and prefer this motor to the 31 kawi on our hustler...

That theory is bunk. According the Vanguard website they are al rated at 3600 rpm. The difference is in the throttle shafts mainly.

Go to this link, then the engine you want to look at, then click on the power curve PDF in the upper right-

http://www.vanguardengines.com/engines/Air%20Cooled%20V-Twin%20Big%20Block%20Vertical%20Shaft/32-gross-hp-vs/

mtmower
03-29-2012, 11:43 PM
My first Vangard is on my Z-spray intermediate. I believe it's a 16 hp. I have to say so far I am supper impressed. Very smooth and quite. Doesn't seem to hunt around as much as other engines I've used.

LawnMan19
03-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Glad to hear you like it so much, I think vanguard is one of the more underrated engines out there.

Snapper Jack
03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm putting some coin aside this year to replace my Kaw FB460V with either a 16 0r 18HP vanguard for this coming winter project and ditto on your purchase

exmarkman11
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
i tested a ferris with a 30hp vanguard last year. I really liked it, buy it was loud. I mean really loud. Like i cant even hear my worktunes so there was no use turning it on. And even with earmuffs on, it seemed loud to me. Does anyone know if this is normal for a vanguard? The mower was brand new, i was the first to use it.

D&F lawnmaster
03-30-2012, 11:27 PM
i just replace my 38 kolher on my Exmark lazer z with a 36Briggs Vanguard. I can tell right now that i have more power with this vanguard than i did with the kohler. Since March 2010 this kolher has blown three times.

HenryB
03-31-2012, 10:10 AM
i tested a ferris with a 30hp vanguard last year. I really liked it, buy it was loud. I mean really loud. Like i cant even hear my worktunes so there was no use turning it on. And even with earmuffs on, it seemed loud to me. Does anyone know if this is normal for a vanguard? The mower was brand new, i was the first to use it.

Something wrong my 32 Vanguard is quieter than Kawy's and Kohlers I have. I'd guess a muffler issue?

mtmower
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Something wrong my 32 Vanguard is quieter than Kawy's and Kohlers I have. I'd guess a muffler issue?

My Z-Spray is very quite but I believe it's due to the huge muffler system that Z-Spray themselves install on their units. It's a muffler that goes under the unit and travels the full width of the frame.

GreenConcepts
08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
That theory is bunk. According the Vanguard website they are al rated at 3600 rpm. The difference is in the throttle shafts mainly.

Go to this link, then the engine you want to look at, then click on the power curve PDF in the upper right-

http://www.vanguardengines.com/engines/Air%20Cooled%20V-Twin%20Big%20Block%20Vertical%20Shaft/32-gross-hp-vs/

I'm not sure what the policy around here is on bringing up old threads, but I just wanted to put out there that decreasing the rpm is exactly how they come up with the power difference in the two engines at hand. This link was up quite a while before this topic was being discussed on this site, but I don't know if it was brought up again later;

http://www.vanguardengines.com/news/news/Briggs-Stratton-Commercial-Power-Develops-New-Engine-Option/

I actually stumbled across this thread and that link while trying to figure out what the difference was in the two motors since they are the same size.

Now the question is, how do you get the extra 400 rpm for those of us with the 30hp?

Ridin' Green
08-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure what the policy around here is on bringing up old threads, but I just wanted to put out there that decreasing the rpm is exactly how they come up with the power difference in the two engines at hand. This link was up quite a while before this topic was being discussed on this site, but I don't know if it was brought up again later;

http://www.vanguardengines.com/news/news/Briggs-Stratton-Commercial-Power-Develops-New-Engine-Option/

I actually stumbled across this thread and that link while trying to figure out what the difference was in the two motors since they are the same size.

Now the question is, how do you get the extra 400 rpm for those of us with the 30hp?
That's interesting because at the time I posted that link to mag360, both engines were showing in their specs section that they each were running 3600 in the chart. Maybe a screw up by them and that's why the 30 doesn't show the HP or torque in any graph like the 32 does in my link.

Thanks for that link you provided.

GreenConcepts
08-04-2013, 09:19 PM
No problem. I'm still looking for a way, and a reason, for someone with the 30 to convert it to a 32. I'm not really sure what the point would be, but it would be nice to know how to do it. I guess I could scour the parts manual and see where there were differences where it would make sense to look

I think it's a screw up by them because that particular engine is an anomaly so to speak. If you look in the operators manual for the same engine, it says the same thing; that the specs they obtain for horsepower are achieved at 3600 rpm, like you stated.

mag360
08-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I would think a governor adjustment could produce the rpm's but the crank pulley would need to be changed out so you don't exceed a safe bts. Nice way to get some extra speed though if you don't change pulleys

Nate'sLawnCare
08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
I have the 36 Vanguard on my Snapper Pro and it is very quiet and smooth. Once I engage the blades I can hardly hear the engine, it sounds like I'm flying on a turboprop aircraft.

curleelawncare
08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
My 27hp Kawi blew on my BobCat at 1800 hours. I was in need of a new mower so I bought the Snapper Pro 61" with the 27hp Briggs Commercial Turf. Boy, what a mistake. After the first yard I knew was under powered and was using lots and lots of fuel. Complained to my dealer and am getting a new unit with the 28hp Vanguard Big Block. I hope this is enough power for my needs. Commercial Turf was bogging down on my weekly yards and used 16.5 gallons of gas in first 8.9 hours. Anyone had experience with the Commercial Turf? I may have just gotten a lemon, but feel way better aboud the Vanguard.

fobaum
08-26-2014, 09:05 PM
The new 24 an 26hp vangaurds look NICE. I like the easy access to cylinder fins too.

curleelawncare
09-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Picked up new Snapper Pro 61 this week with 28hp Vanguard Big Block after not being happy with the 27hp Briggs Commercial Turf. WOW, I can't say enough about the power differance. This Vanguard cut through anything I throw at it like butter. Engine always keeps constant rpm's and never hunts or bogs. GREAT MACHINE.