PDA

View Full Version : Backpack blower recommendations?

Mikegyver
03-31-2012, 12:24 AM
I need some recommendations for a backpack blower. I already have a Stihl 600 mag but something happened to the throttle linkage and its at the dealer under warranty. I think I will have it back by time I need it next but it brings up the point to me that it is the only thing I do not have a backup for (other than a small handheld which will not cut it).
SO
I think I want to skip the Stihl this time around.
We are starting to move away from stihl handhelds to shindaiwa (at least on trimmers because I have not decided on the blowers yet) so I am interested in the EB802RT. This is their standard 2 cycle not the H4 because if the H4 is anything like the Stihl4mix I do not want it. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Anyone had experience with this blower?
I do not want to go with Redmax or Mauryama because I cannot stand the dealer we have here.
I guess my only other option is Echo. What models from Echo are good?
I am really wanting to stay on the high end as far as CFMs/MPH and am not afraid to pay for it.
What do y'all recommend? Basically I will only buy Shindaiwa, Echo, or Stihl.
Mike

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 12:34 AM
The 802 is a great blower. It comes with 2 different nozzles for different uses and it give you great versatility. The Echo 770 is another great blower IMO, but there have been reports of several of them overheating. I ran one last year, and I loved it.

However I went with the Husky 570 BTS to go with my BR600M. If you have a Husqvarna dealer near you, check them out.The Husky is basically the same blower as the RM 7500, and both will out perform the 600, or the 770. It is lighter by a few lbs than the RM 8500/Husky 580, but gives up very little in real world usage, and yes, I've used them all.

If you don't have any Husky dealers near you, I'd go with the 802. Stock, the Husky will blow a little harder than the 802, but both can be modified to perform well beyond the way they come from the dealer. I'm happy with my 570 as is though. In fact, every time I use it, I like it even more. I rarely pick up the 600 anymore. :)

yardguy28
03-31-2012, 06:52 AM
didn't we just discuss this???

Mikegyver
03-31-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't think so?!?

THEGOLDPRO
03-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Get the shindawia don't waste your money on a br600 they are weaksauce.

Tizzy
03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
i just swapped handhelds from stihl to shindaiwa. very happy with the decision. i have not done any blowers yet. im still using BR600s. i would say go shindaiwa

yardguy28
03-31-2012, 04:39 PM
could have sworn we just did a which backpack blower is the best thread.

castlerockmo
03-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Husqvarna570/580 best blowers money will buy!
Posted via Mobile Device

KLAlawncare
03-31-2012, 07:50 PM
stihls are weak... had 2 600s and sold them and went with redmax 8500s... best move ever... its redmax for me

yardguy28
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm sticking with stihl......they have always been great to me so I see no reason to switch.

from the comparisons I've done they are the best in the market IMO.

smallstripesnc
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Redmax 8500 for me. Very powerful.

integrityman
03-31-2012, 10:39 PM

The second or third most popular topic on Lawnsite....maybe second to "which is the best z-turn" ubiquitous thread. Respectfully of course, folks gotta learn to use the thread search function.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-31-2012, 10:41 PM

I remember it too.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=328798&page=8 here is a link

Lawnut101
04-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Redmax makes great blowers! I have 3 different models from them. One is 8 years old, and still runs like a champ! THey have never missed a beat!

chipk1
04-01-2012, 07:38 AM
My Shindaiwa EB802 still runs great after 2 years. Although the straps .... well ... they suck. They fall apart way to quickly. But the blower runs great.

chipk1
04-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Yah, but that was "what is the best blower" for yesterday....today is a NEW day. Kind of like the IPhone, there seems to be a new model everyday!

Mikegyver
04-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks all...keep it coming.

BlazerRidge
04-01-2012, 08:49 PM
I just bought a new Redmax EBZ8500 and its an animal. I bought it to replace a stolen EBZ8001 and the 8500 definitely beats it

Mikegyver
04-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I did look at the search links that the guy posted. I am asking some specific questions wanting some specific answers for my situation.
Mike

DFLS
04-03-2012, 12:14 AM
If you don't have any Husky dealers near you, I'd go with the 802. Stock, the Husky will blow a little harder than the 802, but both can be modified to perform well beyond the way they come from the dealer. I'm happy with my 570 as is though. In fact, every time I use it, I like it even more. I rarely pick up the 600 anymore. :)

What are the modifications for the Shindiawa?

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 12:32 AM
What are the modifications for the Shindiawa?

They are mostly exhaust mods. There is a guy who posts here sometimes that is kind of an expert on modding 2 strokes. IIRC, he removes the tailpipe and opens up the exhaust port holes to let it breath better.

Here is a link to his YouTube channel, and the 802. If you look in the right hand column, you'll see more vids on the 802 by him-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uwSWWemAI&feature=relmfu

DFLS
04-03-2012, 12:44 AM
They are mostly exhaust mods. There is a guy who posts here sometimes that is kind of an expert on modding 2 strokes. IIRC, he removes the tailpipe and opens up the exhaust port holes to let it breath better.

Here is a link to his YouTube channel, and the 802. If you look in the right hand column, you'll see more vids on the 802 by him-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uwSWWemAI&feature=relmfu

Thanks....

I just bought an 802 and my BR600 is just slightly more powerful. opening exhaust ports to let the air flow seems logical.

THEGOLDPRO
04-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks....

I just bought an 802 and my BR600 is just slightly more powerful. opening exhaust ports to let the air flow seems logical.

I think you might be confused here little buddy, the br600 is half as strong as an 802 maybe 1/3 as strong. I am going to go on recond and say the br600 is the weakest blower on the market.

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 12:57 AM
I suppose you could make any of them breath easier and they'd all perform better, but it seems like the two strokes respong better to it, and they are easier to make peppier.

The guy in the link is good at doing it. He has some great video clips of before and after work on quite afew machines, especially chainsaws.

There are some threads here about the same modifications to the 802 in which blsnelling posts some info. Maybe you can find them in search mode.

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I think you might be confused here little buddy, the br600 is half as strong as an 802 maybe 1/3 as strong. I am going to go on recond and say the br600 is the weakest blower on the market.

Ah, come on man. If you don't like Stihl 600's, fine by me, but that's just flat out BS, and I'm calling you on it. I have ran all the latest big BP's on wet heavy leaves and the 600 will hold it's own with any of them. It may not be the most powerful, but it hangs in there pretty good, and does better than some of them stock. It does so with far less fuel, noise, and weight to boot. I ain't being brand loyal, because as I've already stated here and elsewhere on LS, I prefer my Husky 570 to anything else made right now, but my BR600M is a great blower, and way more powerful than you are trying to make it out to be.

DFLS
04-03-2012, 01:15 AM

Side by side seems the br600 loosens more leaves stuck on the ground.

I'll have to try blowing the brick on the driveway tomorrow....

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Side by side seems the br600 loosens more leaves stuck on the ground.

I'll have to try blowing the brick on the driveway tomorrow....

Did you get both the wide and narrow nozzles for your 802? If so, amke sure you use the narrow tip nozzle for getting the stuck down crap loose. The fact that you can switch the nozzles so easily on the 802 is what makes it such a great blower IMO. The wide tip is better for moving large piles of leaves.

DFLS
04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Ah, come on man. If you don't like Stihl 600's, fine by me, but that's just flat out BS, and I'm calling you on it. I have ran all the latest big BP's on wet heavy leaves and the 600 will hold it's own with any of them. It may not be the most powerful, but it hangs in there pretty good, and does better than some of them stock. It does so with far less fuel, noise, and weight to boot. I ain't being brand loyal, because as I've already stated here and elsewhere on LS, I prefer my Husky 570 to anything else made right now, but my BR600M is a great blower, and way more powerful than you are trying to make it out to be.

My new shindy is heavier on my shoulders and sucks up more gas than the BR600.

One of my 600's died last week. I bought the Shindy to replace it. Dealer said it would blow away the BR600. (he sells both). Now I find it is just enough heavier than the Stihl to bother my shoulders after a couple hours, and really isn't any more powerful. Louder too. Going to be even louder when I do the exhaust mod. Does he just take the restrictive plate out and the screen out? Hard to tell in the video.

I did pick up a short block for my dead BR600 that transplant will happen next rainy day.

DFLS
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Did you get both the wide and narrow nozzles for your 802? If so, amke sure you use the narrow tip nozzle for getting the stuck down crap loose. The fact that you can switch the nozzles so easily on the 802 is what makes it such a great blower IMO. The wide tip is better for moving large piles of leaves.

Yes using narrowed nozzle...

Mikegyver
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
That's what I was wanting to hear. I really am stuck on the fence. At this point I will go into our echo/stihl/shindaiwa dealer and look at them all. Anyone have the link to that backpack blower comparison chart?

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
My new shindy is heavier on my shoulders and sucks up more gas than the BR600.

One of my 600's died last week. I bought the Shindy to replace it. Dealer said it would blow away the BR600. (he sells both). Now I find it is just enough heavier than the Stihl to bother my shoulders after a couple hours, and really isn't any more powerful. Louder too. Going to be even louder when I do the exhaust mod. Does he just take the restrictive plate out and the screen out? Hard to tell in the video.

I did pick up a short block for my dead BR600 that transplant will happen next rainy day.

I know he takes out the stuff you mentioned, and removes a gasket somewhere. Some of the despcription of doing it is in the posts below his YT demo's, and a lot more of it is in that thread here on LS where he was posting. I'll see if I can find that thread later today.

yardguy28
04-03-2012, 09:40 PM

LMAO.......

I'd take a br600 over an 802 any day......

Mikegyver
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
My BR600 is in for a broken throttle linkage. Over all I have liked it I just am wanting to move away from 4-mix (after dealing with an older 4mix trimmer) and get back to a standard 2 cycle. They just don't last for me...my trimmer is on it's last leg and it was bought in 2010. The blower isn't exactly like it was when new this summer...I think it's lost some of it's power.
Mike

Greyst1
04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Is this narrowed nozzle and Echo item? I don't see it listed on shindy's website.

Ridin' Green
04-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Is this narrowed nozzle and Echo item? I don't see it listed on shindy's website.

Hi Greyst1, It's right there on their website-
http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Blowers/EB802RT.aspx

Notice in the specs where it says round pipe and turbo pipe? Notice too that the specs are just as I mentioned earlier, the round pipe has higher CFM but lower MPH than the turbo tube, and the turbo has lower CFM, but higher MPH than the round tube. :)

Greyst1
04-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Hi Greyst1, It's right there on their website-
http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Blowers/EB802RT.aspx

Notice in the specs where it says round pipe and turbo pipe? Notice too that the specs are just as I mentioned earlier, the round pipe has higher CFM but lower MPH than the turbo tube, and the turbo has lower CFM, but higher MPH than the round tube. :)

I see, thanks bro.

Ridin' Green
04-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I see, thanks bro.

Their website could be a little better at explaining that both come with the machine, and that it's not an either/or deal. I wouldn't have known myself maybe if I hadn't handled one, and talked to the dealer long before I ever went to look at them again on their website.

BTW- that was supposed to read "It's right here on their website", not "It's right there on their website" which could be taken as being talked down to. Definately not my intent, so I apologize if it came off that way, but who can ever know for sure when chatting on the net?

Greyst1
04-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Their website could be a little better at explaining that both come with the machine, and that it's not an either/or deal. I wouldn't have known myself maybe if I hadn't handled one, and talked to the dealer long before I ever went to look at them again on their website.

BTW- that was supposed to read "It's right here on their website", not "It's right there on their website" which could be taken as being talked down to. Definately not my intent, so I apologize if it came off that way, but who can ever know for sure when chatting on the net?

No worries, i didn't take that way. So you are saying they come with the blower? My bro and i bought two last year and neither us received two tubes.

Ridin' Green
04-04-2012, 12:54 AM
No worries, i didn't take that way. So you are saying they come with the blower? My bro and i bought two last year and neither us received two tubes.

Yea, all of them that I have looked at in person in the last year have had both tubes. One is normally mounted on the machine, but the other is usually kept with the boxes that the blowers come to the dealer in. You just have to make sure to ask the dealer for both. The place I go to that carries them has them stashed away in back to keep them from magically disappearing.

rmland
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Have both redmax 8000 and stihl 600mag. Redmax has more power but the stihl is so nice and light and easy to start. I am also beginning to have problems with the redmax loosing power when it gets hot