PDA

View Full Version : GRAVELY PRO TURN 452 REVIEW!! With Pics!

Pages : [1] 2 3

GMLC
03-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Because of a thread I posted on lawn site I was personally contacted by Gravely corporate with an opportunity to fly to Orlando Florida to test the new Pro Turn 400 series!

They say a company is only as good as its employees. Gravely knows how to hire talent. Everyone I met and spoke with on and before this trip was awesome. They were honest, knowledgeable and genuinely good people. The type of people I like to surround myself with.

Gravely is owned by Ariens, a family owned privately held company. Almost all parts are made in house, even the pulleys. Gravely does not use distributors and works very closely with all its dealers and even landscapers like us. They will even help the companies it works with run more efficiently. All you have to do is ask!

When I arrived Gravely had a Pro Turn 452 waiting for me. The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish. It was amazing! Just as good or better than my Scags. The welds were perfect and the powder coat was like liquid glass. It was obviously assembled with care from the wire routing to the decals.

The next thing that caught my eye was the size of the frame and front end, they are massive. The deck is 7 gauge throughout including the baffles! Durability is not going to be a problem. I would say the 400 series is built better than it has to be. It reminds me of Kubota, what I consider industrial strength. No corners were cut, this thing is built like a tank.

The comfort is what is going to set this apart from the competition. I felt little to no vibration and the air seat was awesome. I was able to fly over bumps probably faster than I should have. The seat and foot platforms are isolated from the frame with rubber bushings. The control arms also have adjustable rubber bushings and I felt no vibration in my hands.

The Hydro-Gear 5400 was very smooth and quite. I asked a lot of questions about the Hydro-Gear and Gravely has almost no warranty claims and has run them for 4 years now. It is mounted lower than separate pumps and wheel motors to help with stability.

Gravely had left the irrigation system on for most of the day so I could cut some wet grass. I spent most of my time cutting as this was my biggest concern. I experienced no clumping or stringers. The deck stayed clean! The cut was beautiful on southern grass. Next they took me to a field with grass 8-9 inches tall. This would be the closest thing to northern grass. The x-factor deck had no problem with discharge and the grass doesn’t stay inside the deck to long. Similar to my Velocity decks. This was a huge relief for me as my concern was with the small discharge opening. Again the deck stayed clean. The x- factor deck has very good vacuum and discharge pressure. Even in the tall grass it didn’t need double cutting! The 24.5 hp kawi (formally 27 hp) had no problem in the tall grass. I honestly can’t say the x-factor deck will cut as good as the Velocity on northern grasses YET but I’m much more confident and willing to give it a shot. I will not lose anymore sleep thinking about it.

In conclusion I will be ordering a Gravely Pro Turn 452 next week! I will continue my honest review once I start cutting up here on northern grasses.

Gravely told me “We have one of the best warranties in the industry, but you won’t need it!” I have no doubt Gravely will stand behind their equipment and be there if I need them!

Enjoy the pics!!

GMLC
03-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Here are some pictures!

GMLC
03-31-2012, 12:54 AM
More pictures

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Great review!
I'm glad that you got the chance to test it, and as for the pics, I say thanks again.

Like I said before you left, that discharge chute makes me think it'll cause clumping up here in the north on wet turf, but I'll be glad to be wrong. I already made my decision just before you left, and have my new machine in my shop now, but I'm still interested in these Gravely's.

Keep up the great reviews!:)

BTW- Are those run flats, or pneumtaics up front?

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:01 AM
More pictures

LawnMan19
03-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Looks good, and they sound like an all around good company.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:10 AM
More pictures

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:11 AM
My first post got lost in the middle of al your pics LOL

You look like a kid in a candy store. So, exactly how many square miles of grass did you mow? :laugh:

StanWilhite
03-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Not bad for an "EL" machine! :-)
Congrats! Stan

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Great review!
I'm glad that you got the chance to test it, and as for the pics, I say thanks again.

Like I said before you left, that discharge chute makes me think it'll cause clumping up here in the north on wet turf, but I'll be glad to be wrong. I already made my decision just before you left, and have my new machine in my shop now, but I'm still interested in these Gravely's.

Keep up the great reviews!:)

BTW- Are those run flats, or pneumtaics up front?

They are hybrid runflats. Some air is used for extra cushioning.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:15 AM
What's EL Stan?

Razorblades
03-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the review and pics! I think that you will be very satisfied with it. It is a very nice looking mower.

How did you like the deck height selector? It looks very similar to the one on my Gravely 260 Pro Ride. I also think that the 24.5 hp Kaw. (formerly 27 hp) will be more than enough power for that combo. I have that engine on my Pro Ride and have cut some thick, heavy spring growth lately and have yet to bog the engine down. Of course, that Pro Ride deck discharges so well that it doesn't probably need as much power as some of the tighter baffled decks need.

Keep us posted when you get it and take some pics of its cut.:)

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:17 AM
My first post got lost in the middle of al your pics LOL

You look like a kid in a candy store. So, exactly how many square miles of grass did you mow? :laugh:

Yup, I was still in shock over them flying me down. Mowed for a couple hours.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the review and pics! I think that you will be very satisfied with it. It is a very nice looking mower.

How did you like the deck height selector? It looks very similar to the one on my Gravely 260 Pro Ride. I also think that the 24.5 hp Kaw. (formerly 27 hp) will be more than enough power for that combo. I have that engine on my Pro Ride and have cut some thick, heavy spring growth lately and have yet to bog the engine down. Of course, that Pro Ride deck discharges so well that it doesn't probably need as much power as some of the tighter baffled decks need.

Keep us posted when you get it and take some pics of its cut.:)

That dial adjust deck is slick!

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:19 AM
I used to live in Altamonte Springs on the north side of Orlando. We built homes and condos all over the area though, so I was wondering where you were at exactly for this demo? Might have been right near there at one time or another.

Razorblades
03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
What's EL Stan?

I bet he is returning the famous line that GMLC used to use when discussing the Bad Boy mowers----EL means Entry level mower. Remember, Stan has a Bad Boy.:)

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
I bet he is returning the famous line that GMLC used to use when discussing the Bad Boy mowers----EL means Entry level mower. Remember, Stan has a Bad Boy.:)

Ah yes, I had forgot that to be honest. I do know that Stan has a BB though. Let the fun begin:laugh:. Thanks Razorblades. :)

Hey, at least Stan isn't running "The Beast" :dizzy::hammerhead::hammerhead::laugh::laugh:

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:26 AM
I used to live in Altamonte Springs on the north side of Orlando. We built homes and condos all over the area though, so I was wondering where you were at exactly for this demo? Might have been right near there at one time or another.

I believe the community was called "reunion" or something like that.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Actually one of the Gravely reps and I had some laughs about "EL" mowers.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:31 AM
I believe the community was called "reunion" or something like that.

You were down the I-4 corridor south of town then. If you take I-4 back up through AS, you'd go right past my old stomping grounds.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 01:39 AM
A couple things I forgot to mention. The frame has dedicated tie down areas fabricated into it. Also the deck is hung with control rods instead of chains to prevent the 200 pound deck from swaying on hills. I will get a good test on hills and update the review. Another thing that impressed me about Gravely was they kept asking me what I didn't like, not what I liked!

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Do you know if they make a G6 for this particular deck and size yet? They would be awesome under there I think.

mtmower
03-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the review and pics. Good looking machine.

Just curious what other mowers (brands, sizes) you are running or have run so we can get a base line as to what you're comparing the Pro Turn to.

Some questions I have are, how heavy or light did the deck lift feel? It looks like the seating may be higher than some which may be unavoidable to incorporate the air seat system. Or maybe it looks more like this due to being a 52"/smaller machine. I'm probably more use to looking at the 60" units and larger. Were you able to try it out on any hills or banks? Compared to Hustler SZs I've been running most recently, It looks like the engine is placed farther back in the frame. Another words, there is more sticking out from behind the back wheels. I wonder if it would feel lighter in the front end, or cause any issues with a bagger? Would you recommend opting for the full pneumatic tires to improve the ride even more? Any negatives? So far all I'm hearing is good.

StanWilhite
03-31-2012, 02:38 AM
What's EL Stan?

Entry level. It's an inside joke, I was just messin' with him a little. :)

StanWilhite
03-31-2012, 02:43 AM

Yep, you're right Razor, I posted an answer before reading your post. Had to give him a little bit of a hard time. :)

He's gonna love that seat, I rode a 460 around a dealer a few weeks back and that seat is great. I wondered (a few years back) why someone didn't use a true air ride seat.

MJB
03-31-2012, 03:56 AM
I liked this model too when I seen the first pictures of it a few months ago. I would like to know if they got the balance right on this one, giving it more downhill traction. The 260 I had, had no downhill traction at all, which is why I gave it back to Gravely, that and the deck did not mulch, or stripe as well as my other mowers. To bad too because the Gravely people are very professional and the mowers seem well built. How about those control arms in stead of deck chains...lets see where did I see those first ... oh yeah BB doesn't use chains either. lol Keep us updated with the traction compared to your Scag.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you know if they make a G6 for this particular deck and size yet? They would be awesome under there I think.

I dont know. Sorry.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the review and pics. Good looking machine.

Just curious what other mowers (brands, sizes) you are running or have run so we can get a base line as to what you're comparing the Pro Turn to.

Some questions I have are, how heavy or light did the deck lift feel? It looks like the seating may be higher than some which may be unavoidable to incorporate the air seat system. Or maybe it looks more like this due to being a 52"/smaller machine. I'm probably more use to looking at the 60" units and larger. Were you able to try it out on any hills or banks? Compared to Hustler SZs I've been running most recently, It looks like the engine is placed farther back in the frame. Another words, there is more sticking out from behind the back wheels. I wonder if it would feel lighter in the front end, or cause any issues with a bagger? Would you recommend opting for the full pneumatic tires to improve the ride even more? Any negatives? So far all I'm hearing is good.

I have been running Scags since 1995(all 52's) and have experience with the whole line up except the cheetah. Also ran a kubota f2000 when I was 18 for a season when I worked for a university mowing 400 acres.

The deck lift was very easy to operate in my opinion. I know the air seat has like 6 inches of travel and you can set it where ever you want. It didnt feel high when I was mowing. Of course I didnt get a chance to mow any hills. But I will give a whole review on hill side stabilityy because we have a lot in NH. The front end did feel a little light. Im ordering mine with a bagger and it comes with a weight kit. Ill update you on that as well. I dont think you would need pneumatic tires because the ride was amazing as is. No real negatives. I did ask questions about the three things that concerned me. The deck, the hydro-gear and the lack of grease fittings. All of which Gravely has had zero complaints with and doesnt anticipate any problems. They have tested all extensively.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I liked this model too when I seen the first pictures of it a few months ago. I would like to know if they got the balance right on this one, giving it more downhill traction. The 260 I had, had no downhill traction at all, which is why I gave it back to Gravely, that and the deck did not mulch, or stripe as well as my other mowers. To bad too because the Gravely people are very professional and the mowers seem well built. How about those control arms in stead of deck chains...lets see where did I see those first ... oh yeah BB doesn't use chains either. lol Keep us updated with the traction compared to your Scag.

I was told that Gravely worked hard to lower the center of gravity greatly over the 200 series. The hydro gear is mounted lower and the deck control arms make a big difference from what they told me. I will update everyone on hillside stability and traction when I start mowing. They had no hills for me to mow. I know they do offer a mulching kit for the x-factor deck as well as a striping kit.

GMLC
03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Someone wanted me to ask Gravely about the 472 with a 31 hp engine. They told me that engine is a beast and has no problem with the 72 inch deck. I did not try one personally.

JABBERS
03-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the review, been at the gravely dealer today. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

mtmower
04-01-2012, 03:04 AM
Someone wanted me to ask Gravely about the 472 with a 31 hp engine. They told me that engine is a beast and has no problem with the 72 inch deck. I did not try one personally.

I don't know if this is apples to apples, but there is another thread for Husqvarna Pzs that a LCO is complaining about the 31 on 75" pz.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4365256#post4365256

Procuts Lawn Care toward the end of the thread.

GMLC
04-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Some goodies!!

watsmi57
04-01-2012, 11:46 PM
thank you for the great review and the great pics. That is one sweet looking machine. I have been waiting on my dealer to get some in so I can actually see one in person. This is the next best thing. I love my 252 but I think I might actually like a 452 even more.

My experience with Gravely has been the same as you described. A great company that builds and backs up a great mower. It cuts well in all conditions and is WELL built from the ground up. You will love your new 452. Don't expect to be making a bunch of warranty claims either. They were telling the truth :)

M&M Mowing
04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I have owned 4 260z Gravelys and have been satisfied with alll four. Did you notice that grass stuck to the baffle on the discharge of the x factor deck? I am happy to see that they have made the front axle fixed as I always run my 260's in the locked position and have noticed stress cracks on the steel plate that the bolts threads into. The new seat looks great. I am going to trade two mowers this year and will looks at these but my heart is set on the Kubota.

GMLC
04-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I have owned 4 260z Gravelys and have been satisfied with alll four. Did you notice that grass stuck to the baffle on the discharge of the x factor deck? I am happy to see that they have made the front axle fixed as I always run my 260's in the locked position and have noticed stress cracks on the steel plate that the bolts threads into. The new seat looks great. I am going to trade two mowers this year and will looks at these but my heart is set on the Kubota.

I didn't notice any grass stuck under the deck. It stayed completely clean. I will update as I start cutting some wet lush grass up here.

StanWilhite
04-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I have been running Scags since 1995(all 52's) and have experience with the whole line up except the cheetah. Also ran a kubota f2000 when I was 18 for a season when I worked for a university mowing 400 acres.

The deck lift was very easy to operate in my opinion. I know the air seat has like 6 inches of travel and you can set it where ever you want. It didnt feel high when I was mowing. Of course I didnt get a chance to mow any hills. But I will give a whole review on hill side stabilityy because we have a lot in NH. The front end did feel a little light. Im ordering mine with a bagger and it comes with a weight kit. Ill update you on that as well. I dont think you would need pneumatic tires because the ride was amazing as is. No real negatives. I did ask questions about the three things that concerned me. The deck, the hydro-gear and the lack of grease fittings. All of which Gravely has had zero complaints with and doesnt anticipate any problems. They have tested all extensively.

Congrats on the new mower GMLC, I have to agree, you looked as happy as a kid at the county fair!

For the best ride, drop the air pressure down (on all 4) to 8-10 lbs and the ride is even better, you (or the mower) won't be shaken near as much on rough ground. I run about 8-9 psi all the way around on my Lightning (which also uses the same tires as the Gravely).

I have run the fronts as low as 6-7 psi but you have to watch about stopping fast, the mower will naturally dip in the front. I also feel like that's running a little too close to the point where the tire could separate from the rim....although it's never happened...but then again, most of my mowing is on flat ground.

My son bought a 252 back in '08 and hasn't had any problems with it. Hope you have the same luck!
Stan

waters lawn care
04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
I had an transaxle replaced on mine with in the first 50 hours. My gravel dealer was all over the problem getting it resolved and it wasn't a failure but a parking brake issue. I never missed a day mowing they handed me the keys to another mower saying run this one keep on mowing
Posted via Mobile Device

grass disaster
04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
hows the air ride seat on that thing?

GMLC
04-08-2012, 08:48 AM
hows the air ride seat on that thing?

Very nice. It's fully adjustable to your weight. The seat also has lumbar controls and is rubber mounted. I felt little to no vibration and was able to fly over bumps.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
My new Pro Turn 452 is at my dealer getting prepped! I will take some pictures as soon as I take delivery...hopefully by the end of the week.

Ridin' Green
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Looking forwards to the pics.

I don't recall off the top of my head whether or not you had a Z before that you were using in conjunction with the WB, or just the WB.

GMLC
04-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Looking forwards to the pics.

I don't recall off the top of my head whether or not you had a Z before that you were using in conjunction with the WB, or just the WB.

Right now I have Scag 52" hydro walkbehinds with sulke's. This will be a nice addition with the bagging system for my bigger properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

watsmi57
04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
you will not want to use the WB's anymore after you get this mower :)

If I can cut it with my 52 the WB stays on the trailer :)

Ridin' Green
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
It'll feel good to get to sit down during the hot weather eh?:)

GMLC
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I can't wait! I'll never be WB free due to all the hills around here but the WB's will see some serious trailer time.
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
GMLC is your grass growing yet enough to cut? Been dethatching the last two weeks here and looks like I'll start cutting a few this coming week.

GMLC
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
GMLC is your grass growing yet enough to cut? Been dethatching the last two weeks here and looks like I'll start cutting a few this coming week.

I would say two more weeks until I start cutting. I know everyone is waiting for the QOC review for cool season grass and I'll post one as soon as I can. I know I can't wait!
Posted via Mobile Device

kmzlawncare
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I demoed a a gravely 460 today and I was very impressed it was very smooth and had a very nice cut. I'm thinking about getting a 466.

GMLC
04-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Here is a picture of my new mower! My dealer just has to put on the bagging system and she's ready to come home.

Ridin' Green
04-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Looks great bro! I'm happy for you. Nothing like a new machine.

I really like your truck too. Suits me to a T. I don't like extended or four door cabs. I like the pewter color too. You need to get a pic of your entire setup now, when you get the chance.

GMLC
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Looks great bro! I'm happy for you. Nothing like a new machine.

I really like your truck too. Suits me to a T. I don't like extended or four door cabs. I like the pewter color too. You need to get a pic of your entire setup now, when you get the chance.

Thanks man...Once she is home I will take more pics with some of my other stuff.

mtmower
04-12-2012, 07:50 PM
Looks great. I'm excited for you. Cut man cut! We need your review. It's going to be tough giving a fair review of it being a new mower and all. No one wants to talk negatively about a new purchase, especially with all the time and work you've put into your decision, let alone cost, but do us potential purchasers a favor and be as honest as possible. Even though Gravely is checking this thread as we speak. Don't sell your lawn soul to the man in red unless it's total love. Looking forward to hear how the clippings fly!!

GMLC
04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Looks great. I'm excited for you. Cut man cut! We need your review. It's going to be tough giving a fair review of it being a new mower and all. No one wants to talk negatively about a new purchase, especially with all the time and work you've put into your decision, let alone cost, but do us potential purchasers a favor and be as honest as possible. Even though Gravely is checking this thread as we speak. Don't sell your lawn soul to the man in red unless it's total love. Looking forward to hear how the clippings fly!!

I will be 100% honest, Gravely wants me to be. Plus I will post pics of the QOC in cool season grasses which won't lie! Gravely is completely open to suggestions and when I was in Florida they kept asking me what I didn't like. I know there are a few here waiting on me to start cutting before they pull the trigger. I'm one of the few here that has to cut in wet conditions and not double cut due to a full schedule. QOC is huge for me and I'm eager to get started!!!

lawnman3
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
looks like a nice setup you have there looking into a z turn myself very soon ... glwynz turn..

lawnman3...

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
I will be 100% honest, Gravely wants me to be. Plus I will post pics of the QOC in cool season grasses which won't lie! Gravely is completely open to suggestions and when I was in Florida they kept asking me what I didn't like. I know there are a few here waiting on me to start cutting before they pull the trigger. I'm one of the few here that has to cut in wet conditions and not double cut due to a full schedule. QOC is huge for me and I'm eager to get started!!!

Since they asked what you didn't like, or were concerned about etc., did you tell them that many of us that have looked at them, or are looking at them really believe that for northern grasses, especially when they have to be cut while wet, we feel that it needs a much wider discharge chute? If so, what was their response?

GMLC
04-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Since they asked what you didn't like, or were concerned about etc., did you tell them that many of us that have looked at them, or are looking at them really believe that for northern grasses, especially when they have to be cut while wet, we feel that it needs a much wider discharge chute? If so, what was their response?

I did talk to them about the discharge opening compared to my Scag Velocity deck as well as the hydro gear transmissions and no grease fittings. Gravely told me that the deck was designed to spread the clippings evenly and aggressively. I found the discharge pressure great and if you look at the pics of the field mowing it did discharge some grass. They assured me that a ton of testing is done on northern grasses around Gravely's head quarters. I guess in a couple weeks we will know for sure...

watsmi57
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I did talk to them about the discharge opening compared to my Scag Velocity deck as well as the hydro gear transmissions and no grease fittings. .

I thought these things were going to be an issue too when I first got mine. I was unsure of the hydrogear transaxle. The lack of grease fittings bothered me and I thought that discharge hole was small too. None of these things have been an issue. The hydrogears are super smooth. The discharge hole on the deck never clogs and it throws grass! Time will tell on the lack of grease fittings but from what I have heard it will not be an issue either.

I have no experience with northern grass but it cuts everything down south great. I have cut some really tall grass with it too on occasion. :)

mtmower
04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
GMLC will you be side discharging or bagging first thing?

Other than maybe the main idler and front wheel bearings, the lack of grease zirks do not bother me if it was done correctly. Coming from the automotive industry I've seen first hand that it can be done and can last. The problem is thought is not always put into making things last. I'm considering Husqvarna PZ as well and Q on here seemed to very honest about needs. He told me to keep deck bushings on hand as they go through them. This is an example of a poorly thought out system. I don't mind replacing worn items at the 2000-3000 mark and up, but earlier than that and I don't consider it a commercial grade unit .

If I didn't already ask, how many hrs. do you have on your units watsmi57?

What are the concerns on the hydro gear trans? Wasn't aware of any problems yet. Seems like quite a few companies are going that direction. It would be nice to see a cooling system incorporated into it. Pushing 13 mph may be over working the system, similar to the earlier Hustler SZs.

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Other than maybe the main idler and front wheel bearings, the lack of grease zirks do not bother me if it was done correctly. Coming from the automotive industry I've seen first hand that it can be done and can last. The problem is thought is not always put into making things last. I'm considering Husqvarna PZ as well and Q on here seemed to very honest about needs. He told me to keep deck bushings on hand as they go through them. This is an example of a poorly thought out system. I don't mind replacing worn items at the 2000-3000 mark and up, but earlier than that and I don't consider it a commercial grade unit .

What are the concerns on the hydro gear trans? Wasn't aware of any problems yet. Seems like quite a few companies are going that direction. It would be nice to see a cooling system incorporated into it. Pushing 13 mph may be over working the system, similar to the earlier Hustler SZs.

The worries about the Hydrogear trans's are mainly because they are so new, and haven't been around long enough to establish a lengthy track record one way or the other yet.

GMLC
04-13-2012, 01:18 PM

I'm going to side discharge at first to get a good feel for the deck before I start bagging. I was nervous about the hydro-gear transmissions as Ridin' Green said they are just so new. Gravely told me they have run the 5400's for 4 years now with almost no warranty claims so I'm comfortable with that. They do have cooling fans on each unit. Same with the lack of grease fittings, almost no warranty claims on spindles or other non-greasable parts so I'm ok with that as well.

I hope to bring her home today! Then I'm going on a mission to find some grass to cut early!!!!

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 01:53 PM
GMLC-
I have a 1990 JD garden tractor that has been used regularly from the start, and it does not have greasable spindles on the mower deck on it. It is still solid and strong, and cuts awesome still (not to mention stripes great too:)). If made well, I would have no worries about that.

I have to say, I hope that deck chute proves my fears unfounded, because a new Gravely may very well be the next machine I buy down the road if so.

JABBERS
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Well Ive tried gravely and I dont think they are for me. Gravely is a very solid machine built very well but its no exmark sorry guys just my personal opinion.

GMLC
04-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Well Ive tried gravely and I dont think they are for me. Gravely is a very solid machine built very well but its no exmark sorry guys just my personal opinion.

I like exmark as well, one of the best mowers in my opinion. They have a very nice cut in dry conditions but in wet northern grass they clump bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I like exmark as well. They have a very nice cut in dry conditions but in wet northern grass they clump bad.Posted via Mobile Device

Darn straight! If I was given an Exmark, I'd sell it and buy something else (probably a Garvely since I already have a new Deere). They are just not for me, and I think they ruined their looks with the next gen. Now they look cheap.

JABBERS
04-13-2012, 10:23 PM
The x-factor deck doesn't shoot grass out like my old exmark does, I just tried them out side by side. Maybe there is better blades not really sure.

GMLC
04-13-2012, 10:34 PM
The x-factor deck doesn't shoot grass out like my old exmark does, I just tried them out side by side. Maybe there is better blades not really sure.

A lot of guys like their old exmark decks over the new ones. I will post an extensive review of the x-factor deck in wet grass once I start cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 10:36 PM

That's my fear about the X factor deck, but the deck isn't baffled as heavily underneath as the Ultracut, so it should be at least a touch better. My biggest complaint about Exmark is their fine cut dry, but it goes out the window with any moisture heavier than light dew. Almost everyone here runs them, so I get to see lots of their cuts on a ton of different turf. They all clump when it's wet. I simply will not have that on my lawns. I need an even dispersal, and the 7 Irons do that extremely well, and their cut will match the UC in dry conditions. I cut right next to several of them and we get to compare all summer long.

JABBERS
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
7-iron that john deer right? How do they compare price wised to exmark?

Ridin' Green
04-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Here, you can get a JD for less money comparing an equal level of machine. Exmark is really going through the roof here this year. Even the salesmen I talk to at the local EM dealership where I buy a lot of stuff are saying so. They have a lot of nice features, but I just can't get on board with the UC in the wet, and the way the next gen looks.

GMLC
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey everyone I entered a Gravely photo contest! Please "love it" at this link. I could win some free equipment! Thanks

http://apps.facebook.com/contestsapps/showentry/Show-us-Your-Best-Work/9392?v=3%26fbpage_id%3D117730121643397

zak406
04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
I voted for you!!! :usflag:

GMLC
04-14-2012, 04:38 PM
It's official!! I took delivery of the Gravely Pro-Turn 452 today from J&K Outdoor Power Equipment in Goffstown, NH. Bill the owner treated me very well. I qualified for Gravely's fleet program which is 20% off and 0% financing for 4 years. $10663.00 out the door with the bagging system!!

GMLC
04-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Some other stuff...

Ridin' Green
04-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Awesome! That is a really sharp machine. It may just be your pics, but the front tires look huge compared to the rears. How easy on/easy off is the bagger system now that it's mounted? I assume that it is pretty quick. How many bushel is it BTW?

Looking forwards to the cut pics when the time comes.

Again, congratulations GMLC.:)

GMLC
04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Awesome! That is a really sharp machine. It may just be your pics, but the front tires look huge compared to the rears. How easy on/easy off is the bagger system now that it's mounted? I assume that it is pretty quick. How many bushel is it BTW?

Looking forwards to the cut pics when the time comes.

Again, congratulations GMLC.:)

Thanks again. The whole front end is massive including the tires. I believe the bagger holds 12 bushels. The blower and tube come off in like 30 seconds. I know because I have to take them off to get in my trailer!
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-14-2012, 08:44 PM
I voted for you!!! :usflag:

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Razorblades
04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
That's a really nice looking machine! Does it have the 31 or 27 Kawasaki engine (old rating)? Does the front axle pivot on that series mower? The older 200 series mower used to have a pivoting front axle.

When do you expect to start cutting with it? do you have a big variety of grass types to cut? Which style blades are on it now? Last question (for now); It the bagger tube 7 or 8" diameter?

You will love the height adjust control.

watsmi57
04-14-2012, 09:40 PM
she looks great. that is a great deal too especially with that bagger system.

let us know how you like it. I don't have a bagger. let me know how it works for you.

I entered a photo contest with Gravely too click here and give me some love too lol

http://apps.facebook.com/contestsapps/showentry/Show-us-Your-Best-Work/9325?signed_request=0p1hhLYHv6TH0JK-TnEhRPKDgjLZGg4ud-lzbnuMIWQ.eyJhbGdvcml0aG0iOiJITUFDLVNIQTI1NiIsImV4cGlyZXMiOjEzMzQ0NTUyMDAsImlzc3VlZF9hdCI6MTMzNDQ1MD MyOSwib2F1dGhfdG9rZW4iOiJBQUFETnBGSXpYd2NCQUdQUnpQV3dMMDA2N0JGWEN5YW13VVpCMXM3T0tNcHdqTDVWWkJid1lvVm wweno3aUlOWTMwSFhaQWQxWHRaQVFMRlpDWkNRMWRaQnVGeVdiUVdMSEd4ZjB0TWVaQVRuMmhQbVk1MlpCRHZNMiIsInVzZXIiOn siY291bnRyeSI6InVzIiwibG9jYWxlIjoiZW5fVVMiLCJhZ2UiOnsibWluIjoyMX19LCJ1c2VyX2lkIjoiMTczNTA3NzM0NSJ9

GMLC
04-15-2012, 08:10 AM
That's a really nice looking machine! Does it have the 31 or 27 Kawasaki engine (old rating)? Does the front axle pivot on that series mower? The older 200 series mower used to have a pivoting front axle.

When do you expect to start cutting with it? do you have a big variety of grass types to cut? Which style blades are on it now? Last question (for now); It the bagger tube 7 or 8" diameter?

I got the 27 Kawi(old rating) and the front end does not pivot on the 400 series. Will start cutting in about two weeks, the blades appear to be high lift. Just measured the bagger tube and it's 7". Yes I already love the dial adjust height control!

GMLC
04-15-2012, 08:11 AM
she looks great. that is a great deal too especially with that bagger system.

let us know how you like it. I don't have a bagger. let me know how it works for you.

I entered a photo contest with Gravely too click here and give me some love too lol

http://apps.facebook.com/contestsapps/showentry/Show-us-Your-Best-Work/9325?signed_request=0p1hhLYHv6TH0JK-TnEhRPKDgjLZGg4ud-lzbnuMIWQ.eyJhbGdvcml0aG0iOiJITUFDLVNIQTI1NiIsImV4cGlyZXMiOjEzMzQ0NTUyMDAsImlzc3VlZF9hdCI6MTMzNDQ1MD MyOSwib2F1dGhfdG9rZW4iOiJBQUFETnBGSXpYd2NCQUdQUnpQV3dMMDA2N0JGWEN5YW13VVpCMXM3T0tNcHdqTDVWWkJid1lvVm wweno3aUlOWTMwSFhaQWQxWHRaQVFMRlpDWkNRMWRaQnVGeVdiUVdMSEd4ZjB0TWVaQVRuMmhQbVk1MlpCRHZNMiIsInVzZXIiOn siY291bnRyeSI6InVzIiwibG9jYWxlIjoiZW5fVVMiLCJhZ2UiOnsibWluIjoyMX19LCJ1c2VyX2lkIjoiMTczNTA3NzM0NSJ9

I just spread the love! Good luck in the contest.

GMLC
04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Sorry I missed one of your questions. I cut mostly KBG, fescue with some rye.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Well my first mow on northern grass with the 452 was actually a clean up. I used the bagging system to pick up some leaves today. I set the deck at 3 1/4" and only cut a 1/2" or so off the lawn. The lawn was a fescue mix and not to thick yet. The conditions were dry. I must say I was impressed with the stripes considering my hex stripe kit is still on order. The bagging system operated perfectly and cut my clean up time down! The mower also performed very well and the kawi had plenty of power for the blower. The deck stayed very clean. Here are some pics. I know the stripes are not perfectly straight yet as I am still getting use to the machine.

Ridin' Green
04-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Looks darn good IMO. When you get the striper kit installed, those stripes are gonna pop nicely.

Oh yea, just try to remember to not white knuckle the control bars.:laugh::laugh:

GMLC
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Looks darn good IMO. When you get the striper kit installed, those stripes are gonna pop nicely.

Oh yea, just try to remember to not white knuckle the control bars.:laugh::laugh:

Really not bad considering how thin the grass was. IMO I should have waited another week or so. Speaking of control bars I did get a little excited and took off to fast and spun the rear wheels:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Another one of my clients emailed me today and says their lawn is ready to cut. I'm going to try to sneak it in latter this week. Im booked with clean ups and mulch jobs through the first week of May:cry:

kmzlawncare
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Here's some stripe's from the 460 I demoed last week and they are without a stripe kit.

GMLC
04-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Here's some stripe's from the 460 I demoed last week and they are without a stripe kit.

Very nice! Can't wait for the grass here to thicken up like that. Are you thinking about buying it?
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I just want to thank everyone who voted for me in the Gravely photo contest. Im in the top ten!! Please keep voting for me everyday at this link. Thanks!!!!

http://apps.facebook.com/contestsapps/showentry/Show-us-Your-Best-Work/9392?v=3%26fbpage_id%3D117730121643397

kmzlawncare
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Very nice! Can't wait for the grass here to thicken up like that. Are you thinking about buying it?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm gonna buy a 466 as soon as I talk my wife into it. The fleet pricing really makes the price more attractive. I hope to have one before the mowing season is over.

mtmower
04-16-2012, 11:32 PM

kmzlawncare, Looks nice. How good did the deck discharge the clippings? Did you find any odd or negative things about it? Which engine did it have?

2ExploreTech
04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey, like your review and for what it's worth, I 'liked' your photo.

When you get settled in on your new ride, show a picture of the hills you work on. The ones the new Gravely can handle and ones it has trouble. (Obviously, not where you would be put in harm's way or worse, leave a mark in client's lawn :nono: ) This spring is dry (getting too dry now) so I'm sure you can go more places than last years rainy season. Thanks

JABBERS
04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I demoed the pro turn 260 with a 27 hp Kawasaki and it had the x-factor deck. The deck stripped nice and had good discharge. There are some adjustments under the seat for the sticks that might help out the hydro. The gravely a high center of gravity which I didnt like. Also the deck kept jumping up like the machine was more ridged then my exmark or hustler. The deck was mounted on chains. They didn't have a 460 there to try but it might of made a difference.

kmzlawncare
04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
kmzlawncare, Looks nice. How good did the deck discharge the clippings? Did you find any odd or negative things about it? Which engine did it have?

The 460 discharged the clippings very well even in the morning when the grass was very wet the opening looks smaller then my Dixie's but it had no problem's and at the end of the day the deck was clean. The one I demoed had a 31hp engine on it and worked very well I'm going to buy a 466 that only comes with a 27hp Kaw. it makes no since to me but still should still have enough power. The only thing that I didn't like was the deck lift my wife is short and she had trouble lifting the deck that is the only thing that I seen I think Gravely hit the ball out of the park on this one.

mtmower
04-18-2012, 01:22 AM
The 460 discharged the clippings very well even in the morning when the grass was very wet the opening looks smaller then my Dixie's but it had no problem's and at the end of the day the deck was clean. The one I demoed had a 31hp engine on it and worked very well I'm going to buy a 466 that only comes with a 27hp Kaw. it makes no since to me but still should still have enough power. The only thing that I didn't like was the deck lift my wife is short and she had trouble lifting the deck that is the only thing that I seen I think Gravely hit the ball out of the park on this one.

That is really strange why they only offer the 27 Kaw on the 466. I hadn't seen that.

For the deck lift, did you try sliding the seat all the way to the front position? I think there is also a couple of inches of adjustment on the foot pedal as well. Was the pedal hard to push as far as effort or strength needed?

GMLC
04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I demoed the pro turn 260 with a 27 hp Kawasaki and it had the x-factor deck. The deck stripped nice and had good discharge. There are some adjustments under the seat for the sticks that might help out the hydro. The gravely a high center of gravity which I didnt like. Also the deck kept jumping up like the machine was more ridged then my exmark or hustler. The deck was mounted on chains. They didn't have a 460 there to try but it might of made a difference.

The 400 series deck is mounted with control arms instead of chains to eliminate any deck movement. Its one of the big improvements for stability.

GMLC
04-18-2012, 07:57 AM
That is really strange why they only offer the 27 Kaw on the 466. I hadn't seen that.

For the deck lift, did you try sliding the seat all the way to the front position? I think there is also a couple of inches of adjustment on the foot pedal as well. Was the pedal hard to push as far as effort or strength needed?

Sorry I forgot to update you on the deck lift. I find it very easy with my leg. Also I'm able to lift the deck by hand using the lift system with some effort. The seat does move forward and there is another adjustment on the pedal like you said.

kmzlawncare
04-18-2012, 08:17 AM
She moved the seat up if you go to far the controls are to close and I did move the foot pedal to it's closest place. This was only a problem for her for me I had no problems. when I buy one I will make a bracket to fix the problem.

JABBERS
04-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I ran the 27 hp on the 260 and it had plenty of power. I got .64 gph running the 27 hp I checked. I would think 27 is enough for a 66 inch deck. Another thing is there should be more motor selections offered with the gravely.

Ridin' Green
04-18-2012, 10:21 AM

I am only guessing here, but I bet that if you looked at the actual model of the engine, and not the HP rating, they are the same engine (FX850V). The old rating was 31 HP, and the new rating is 27 HP for the same engine. If they are both 2012's, one may have been powered with an engine manufactured while Kawi was still using the old rating system (J1940), and the other may be more recent and rated using the newer system (J1995). They are still the exact same engine, and turn out the exact same ower as they always did, but just rated differently. The reason I say this is because I recently bought a new Z950 Deere, and mine has a newly manufactured engine with the new HP rating label, but right after I bought mine I looked a one or two that were also new 2012's, but they had the old 31 HP sticker on them.

Ridin' Green
04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I went to the Gravley site and I was correct that the 466 is the 27 HP that was the old 31HP FX850, but I see they make the 460 in the FX850 listed using the new rating, and the 460 with the FX921 which is the old 34 HP, and now rated at 31. Maybe they figured the 66" version will be less popular, so they only offer the FX850 since it is a very popular engine. I lifted this directly from their site-

452 992230 Kawasaki® FX751V 24.5 HP 52" 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
452 992231 Kohler® EFI 29 HP 52" 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
460 992232 Kawasaki® FX751V 24.5 HP 60'' 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
460 992234 Kawasaki® FX850V 27 HP 60'' 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
460 992233 Kohler® EFI 29 HP 60'' 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
460 992235 Kawasaki® FX921V 31 HP 60" 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
466 992238 Kawasaki® FX850V 27 HP 66" 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal
472 992239 Kawasaki® FX921V 31 HP 72" 13 mph/6 mph 13.4 gal

kmzlawncare
04-18-2012, 09:15 PM
I think the 27hp will do fine thats not going to stop me from buying this mower. I was very impressed with this new Gravely.:usflag:

Mahoney3223
04-18-2012, 11:47 PM

I was thinking of buying a Pro Turn 260 with the KAW 31. I didn't know how it would do in wet grass though. I owned a 152z with the KAW 23 and it cut ok but it was pretty terrible bagging wet grass. It was nice for leaves though. The dealer wants 8g for it 8500 out the door after tax. Which is literally 2-3 grand less than comparable exmarks or scags.

MJB
04-19-2012, 02:56 AM
I like this Gravely the best of the Gravely line, but Im surprised nobody is saying anything negative about those plastic hydro tanks. BadBoy used them first and everyone made negative comments about them.

I also like the solid deck hangers , another good idea by BB that was copied and improved by Gravely. Looks like Gravely has built a nice mower. Wish i could demo one someday.

mtmower
04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I like this Gravely the best of the Gravely line, but Im surprised nobody is saying anything negative about those plastic hydro tanks. BadBoy used them first and everyone made negative comments about them.

I also like the solid deck hangers , another good idea by BB that was copied and improved by Gravely. Looks like Gravely has built a nice mower. Wish i could demo one someday.

I noticed and was turned off by the plastic tanks. I didn't have anything to compare it to and didn't know if this was normal on other brands as well. I did see them on BB and was also turned off by them. Being around Hustler so long with there big hydro system makes it look very cheap. I guess you need to be able to see the level. You'd think a aluminum finned tank with a sight glass would be the way to go unless this acts solely as a reservoir to hold fluid and hot fluid is not circulating back through it which I'm guessing is the case.

Can anyone tell me if there is one or more filters in the hydro system of the 400?

MJB
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I noticed and was turned off by the plastic tanks. I didn't have anything to compare it to and didn't know if this was normal on other brands as well. I did see them on BB and was also turned off by them. Being around Hustler so long with there big hydro system makes it look very cheap. I guess you need to be able to see the level. You'd think a aluminum finned tank with a sight glass would be the way to go unless this acts solely as a reservoir to hold fluid and hot fluid is not circulating back through it which I'm guessing is the case.

Can anyone tell me if there is one or more filters in the hydro system of the 400?

Actually the plastic tanks work great if placed away from any major heat source like BB did on the Outlaws. Also its good to have separate tanks for each side in case of a failure. Time will tell on the Gravely as it is in a more confined area.

GMLC
04-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Two hydro filters I believe and remote hydro tanks are reservoirs that help with cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
04-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Two hydro filters I believe and remote hydro tanks are reservoirs that help with cooling.
Posted via Mobile Device

The plastic Tanks shouldn't have but 1/2 inch of hyd oil in them. They are just for maintaining the proper oil level. The cooling fins on each unit do most of the cooling. Doesn't the Gravely use the Hydro Gear 5400 transaxles like the Outlaw?

ProStreetCamaro
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I will fill you guys in on the X-Factor deck.

1. Provides a nice smooth manicured cut
2. The first year or two it will stay spotless clean then over time as the paint wears off and it will get buildup under the deck
3. During the time the deck stays clean it wont clump much in wet conditions but as that paint wears off the clumps will begin
4. The discharge leaves a bit to be desired. It kind of directs the grass down and out instead of straight out and you will find in heavy growth periods it will leave strips of debris just out the side of the discharge from it throwing the grass down and out instead of straight out

I like the X-Factor deck and have been using ours daily since 2008 but I wish gravely could tweak the deck a little to make it throw the grass straight out like an exmark or 7 Iron does. It forces you to raise the deck and make a second pass in thick conditions to clean up the debris.

That air seat scares me to be honest. I can only imagine the cost to replace it. Both of our gravely zero turns have standard seats and neither one of them lasted more than 3 years before they started falling apart and they want almost $300 for a standard seat. God help you if you need to replace that air ride seat.

Also for some reason they seem to have an issue with the idler pulley bearings on the deck. Our 34Z has gone through 2 in 2000 hours and our 160Z has had one replaced last year at about the 1200 hour mark. Never had one fail on any other mower before.

I do like gravely a lot but I also feel certain things need to be improved. I do not like how our 160Z turns (or the 34Z but that is to be expected out of such a narrow ztr). It always feels like it is dragging one tire even on concrete and tends to tear up lawns. The downhill traction is non existent. The Z925A I demoed last year turned on a dime and did not tear lawns up. It also threw grass out (way out!) and left a nice cut. That may be my next mower purchase.

Almost forgot. We have a couple gravely dealers but none of them are REAL close like the exmark, bobcat, kkubota etc etc dealers are. Also I can call looking for a part and they almost never have it. They always have to order it and pay for overnight shipping plus they always want MSRP for every part.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/IMAG0003.jpg

mtmower
04-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the honest evaluation. That's the second time I've read about the discharge shooting the clippings down. The clumping and poor discharge is sounding discouraging. This is the big ? on this particular mower more than anything. Every mower QOC and collection of grass under the deck will suffer at least some once the paint wears off the deck. I'm afraid some deck designs may have a more negative impact once the paint is gone than others. Everything else about 400 looks good, on paper anyway.

mtmower
04-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Wow the seat on your 34z does look finished! Is the back broken?

GMLC
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Got the second cut in with my 452. Again fescue mix, dry conditions but this time I side discharged. I'm still very impressed with the stripes without the stripe kit on. Nothing stuck under the deck and the clipping dispersal was great. The clippings are smaller than my velocity deck and leave a smoother finish cut in dry conditions. So far I'm very impressed in dry conditions. All we need is some rain to continue my review.

GMLC
04-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Today I got to put the 452 through a very very tough test. I mowed a thick, wet 8 inch lawn/field. The air seat was awesome as the field was really rough. A very comfortable ride. Very little engine bogging! I experienced very little scalping which my fixed deck scag does a lot of on this property. No clumping or stringers!! Deck stayed clean!! BUT I did experience what others have said. The discharge is very concentrated and doesn't spread like my velocity deck does. I was able to cure about 80% of this by taking off the chute but it is worth noting for other interested in the x-factor deck. Over all I would grade the deck a B+ in these conditions on this property. I was pleased overall and did not have to double cut!!

GMLC
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Just want to give everyone a quick update. I have about a dozen cuts under my belt with the 452. I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 8 hours. I must say I'm still very impressed! I have cut enough dry lawns now to say the x-factor deck leaves an amazing cut which is much smoother than my scag velocity deck in dry conditions(even some customers have commented!). I still need more time in wet grass to give an honest opinion. So far I have not had to double cut, had no stringers, no clumping and the deck has stayed clean. My early feeling is the velocity has a better discharge pattern for these conditions due to the x-factor being more concentrated(but still powerful).

ProStreetCamaro
04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Just want to give everyone a quick update. I have about a dozen cuts under my belt with the 452. I'm getting ready for my first oil change at 8 hours. I must say I'm still very impressed! I have cut enough dry lawns now to say the x-factor deck leaves an amazing cut which is much smoother than my scag velocity deck in dry conditions(even some customers have commented!). I still need more time in wet grass to give an honest opinion. So far I have not had to double cut, had no stringers, no clumping and the deck has stayed clean. My early feeling is the velocity has a better discharge pattern for these conditions due to the x-factor being more concentrated(but still powerful).

The xfactor will stay spotless clean until the paint wears off under the deck and even then it wont clog up to bad but it will require some cleaning at the end of the day if you cut in wet conditions. So far your thoughts on the xfactor are exactly like mine. It leaves a carpet smooth clean cut similar to an ultracut deck. I just wish they would make some adjustments to allow it to discharge straight out instead of down and out. It would reduce the need to double cut to clean up that line of grass that got thrown down in a skinny row on deep lawns. My new G6 blades show up today and I will put them to the test tomorrow so I will let you know how the xfactor does with them.

mtmower
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The xfactor will stay spotless clean until the paint wears off under the deck and even then it wont clog up to bad but it will require some cleaning at the end of the day if you cut in wet conditions. So far your thoughts on the xfactor are exactly like mine. It leaves a carpet smooth clean cut similar to an ultracut deck. I just wish they would make some adjustments to allow it to discharge straight out instead of down and out. It would reduce the need to double cut to clean up that line of grass that got thrown down in a skinny row on deep lawns. My new G6 blades show up today and I will put them to the test tomorrow so I will let you know how the xfactor does with them.

ProStreet, anxious for your feed back on the G6s on this machine. What size deck and engine are you running? I demoed a 460 yesterday and looked at the factory blades. Another option I believe would be the Oregon fusion notched high lifts. I has more cutting edge which has more of a bearing on lift than cut and the notch adds some additional turbulence under the deck IMO.

I can't say enough about the Gravely sales rep. Fred Joyner and regional manager JW Washington that brought the unit clear out here for me to demo. Great guys with good information. I also got to see the Pro Stance in action and was very impressed. Anyone using or looking at a Wright stander should definitely give them a look. My review of the machine is that this is the best cutting, most comfortable, well thought out machine I have seen yet. The few things I see different that I question weather it's heavy duty enough will only be told by time. I tried hard to find negatives with the machine and I'm picky.

The only things I could find is ride height is slightly higher than my earlier Super Z which were some of the lowest. Even the new Super Z is higher than the early ones. All the bolts preset in the deck for the addition of the mulch kit sticking through is just asking to catch clippings and make it hard to clean the underside of the deck. The rep recommend just removing them and leaving them out if I'm not mulching, but being the guy I am I'll probably look for shorter bolts if they even make them or buy another set and cut them down so they are flush with the underside. The only other thing I don't care for is the no flat casters, but most brands have gone to this. I would definitely purchase the pneumatics. One odd note is the discharge chute does not hinge or fold up like all the others I've used. Instead it inserts in one position using the same attachment points as the blower for the catcher. It worked well in place and off. The only down side I see is what to do with it if you take it off.
I'd be getting the operator controlled discharge chute anyway so it's a moot point for me.

Now for the good. To many things I liked to mention! I haven't been this excited about a mower in a long time. Here are some: Tie down points all the way around which I'll never use but hey. Deck height adj. system is nice and I really like that you can lock out the transport latch so you don't accidentally latch it when floating the deck. Deck height adj. pedal adjusts. Isolated foot platform, steering sticks, seat platform, and engine cradle! I hadn't read or even heard that the engine cradle is isolated from the frame. I was originally thinking the air seat was hype. I've drive several big trucks with air ride seats that incorporate shocks in their system and they help but are far from comfortable and usually have a pogo effect. Really, all your doing is replacing spring tension cables on the typical suspension seat for air. So how much better could it really be? I have to honestly say it was the best. Smoothest I've ever operated. I have not run the Ferris or Cheetah ZTR but I do run Hustler Super Zs with the suspension seat and flex forks which are respected for their smooth ride and this hands down blows it away. The ROPS folds over to a nice height that is lower than the seat which will allow me to leave it on. Something I never thought I would be able to consider. I like the perforated floor pans and metal steps over the no-slip stickers. Metal deck pulley covers instead of plastic like some. Dry weight is only 1369 lbs. I don't know how they do it. The controls are laid out nicely on the 13.4 gallon tanks with independent gauges. It's a good looking machine all the way around. Has a high approach angle at the back which allows me to back on my trailer. This and Husky are the first mid mounts I've used that could do this. The deck pulleys are large and two piece riveted with the far right pulley already being a double for the optional install of the blower for the catcher. The controls are smooth and accurate and the sticks are fat padded and wide set giving you gobs of room. Easy steering adjustments if ever needed. Easy deck pitch adjustment if ever needed. Baffles and blades are slightly recessed so the front of deck lip will push mole hills and things flat instead of the baffles or blades hitting them. This should keep blades sharper longer. Gusseting of the deck look strong. Anti-scalp wheels are supported on both sides. Ratcheting, tethered, large gas caps, They have all the accessories I'm looking for ie. hitch, striper, bagger, lights, mulch kit, seat cover, operator controlled discharge chute, etc. The big if on this machine on paper was the rpm blade tip speeds and the small discharge shoot. I'm happy to say it's the best cutting and clipping distributing deck I've used to date. No double cutting and 99% no clumping or canopying of clippings on grass even at full stick on 8 day growth. 13 mph is slower than the 15 mph I'm use to having available but it's small price to pay and fast than many out there. The fleet discount is great.

There's more I could write but will spare you. I you have any questions or concerns about something feel free to ask and I'll tell you what I know.

Today I demo a Outlaw and then I may still demo a new Super Z.

mtmower
04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
GMLC, Could you post a pic of the rear bracket mounted to the machine that the bagger attaches to? Also the rep said something about a bar that is mounted high and around the bagger to act like a bumper. Did you get this and just not mount it or is it optional? What engine are you running and how was the power with the bagger on hills?

ProStreetCamaro
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
mtmower our machine is a 2008 160Z which is a 60" cut with 25hp Kohler.

Here it is when it was new.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1000418.jpg

After a day of cutting wet grass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/lawnstuff004.jpg

Just took this the other day right after we had 1.5" of rain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/20120423_100341.jpg

My own personal lawn cut with the xfactor at 3.5"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050836.jpg

I will let you know how the G6 blades work out. The rolled foil high lift oem blades are far superior to notched high lifts. They create better vacuum to lift the grass up to be cut smooth. I cant stand notched blades at all to be honest. You can get exact carbon copy blades from Stens. I get my blades on ebay for about $65 shipped for two complete sets. What I do not like about our 160Z is it tears lawns up easily. It just does not turn that great for some reason. Our old lazer hp 48" turns very easily. I demoed a JD Z925A last summer and I was highly impressed with that machine. Even being 400 pounds heavier it turned so smooth and easy you almost had to force it to tear up a lawn. The 7Iron deck was awesome and threw the clippings WAYYYYY out the side and the cut quality was fantastic. That may be our next machine. JD also has the electric deck lift with thumb controls on the levers which at this point is something my dad needs in order to keep working due to his neurapothy in his legs and feet from diabetes. He has a very hard time with foot operated deck lift. The seat and ride comfort was phenomenal also.

My demo machine that I absolutely loved.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050875.jpg

This was the middle of summer and the lawns were starting to get very stressed but this is part of my front yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1050876.jpg

GMLC
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
GMLC, Could you post a pic of the rear bracket mounted to the machine that the bagger attaches to? Also the rep said something about a bar that is mounted high and around the bagger to act like a bumper. Did you get this and just not mount it or is it optional? What engine are you running and how was the power with the bagger on hills?

mtmower, tomorrow I will take some pics of the bagging system for you. Yes there is a very heavy duty bar the surrounds the top of the bagger and it comes standard not an option. It gets covered by the cloth cover. I have the 24 hp kawi(27hp old rating) and have not had any power issues bagging or in thick grass.

Great review on the 460! Honestly I believe Gravely hit the ball out of the park with the 400 series. It has raised the bar for comfort, features and fit/finish. I bought it after 15 years of being a Scag fanatic(still am). Its going to take the other companies a bit to catch up. Everything on the 400 series makes sense and is built very well. So far I am more than happy with my purchase. The only thing I can complain about is the clipping dispersal in wet thick/tall grass is not spread as good as the velocity deck dispersal. But 80% of that was cured with the chute off. This is in no way clumping and I have not had to double cut or blow the clippings. The QOC is really amazing and that was my main worry.

GMLC
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Oh mtmower, did the Gravely rep show you how the chute gets stored on the machine? I noticed in your review you mentioned you didnt know what to do with the chute off. Its another really cool feature.

mtmower
04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh mtmower, did the Gravely rep show you how the chute gets stored on the machine? I noticed in your review you mentioned you didnt know what to do with the chute off. Its another really cool feature.

No I'm not aware. Enlighten me.

mtmower
04-26-2012, 07:06 PM
mtmower, tomorrow I will take some pics of the bagging system for you. Yes there is a very heavy duty bar the surrounds the top of the bagger and it comes standard not an option. It gets covered by the cloth cover. I have the 24 hp kawi(27hp old rating) and have not had any power issues bagging or in thick grass.

Great review on the 460! Honestly I believe Gravely hit the ball out of the park with the 400 series. It has raised the bar for comfort, features and fit/finish. I bought it after 15 years of being a Scag fanatic(still am). Its going to take the other companies a bit to catch up. Everything on the 400 series makes sense and is built very well. So far I am more than happy with my purchase. The only thing I can complain about is the clipping dispersal in wet thick/tall grass is not spread as good as the velocity deck dispersal. But 80% of that was cured with the chute off. This is in no way clumping and I have not had to double cut or blow the clippings. The QOC is really amazing and that was my main worry.

My decision is between the Kawasaki 31 hp and the Kohler 29 EFI (I think old hp rating, probably more like 25 hp) I like both engines. I know the Kaw will have the hp and the Kohler will have better gph. My concern with the Kohler is hp. I have the 28 Kohler EFI on my 66" Super Z and it's smooth and reliable but not enough power to bag and push my thatch rake. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples because the SZ has bigger pumps which is drawing more hp. It may work on the 460.

GMLC
04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Check this out! Uses a knob to mount to the deck. No more bungie cords!

mtmower
04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
mtmower our machine is a 2008 160Z which is a 60" cut with 25hp Kohler.

I will let you know how the G6 blades work out. The rolled foil high lift oem blades are far superior to notched high lifts. They create better vacuum to lift the grass up to be cut smooth. I cant stand notched blades at all to be honest. You can get exact carbon copy blades from Stens. I get my blades on ebay for about $65 shipped for two complete sets. What I do not like about our 160Z is it tears lawns up easily. It just does not turn that great for some reason. Our old lazer hp 48" turns very easily. I demoed a JD Z925A last summer and I was highly impressed with that machine. Even being 400 pounds heavier it turned so smooth and easy you almost had to force it to tear up a lawn. The 7Iron deck was awesome and threw the clippings WAYYYYY out the side and the cut quality was fantastic. That may be our next machine. JD also has the electric deck lift with thumb controls on the levers which at this point is something my dad needs in order to keep working due to his neurapothy in his legs and feet from diabetes. He has a very hard time with foot operated deck lift. The seat and ride comfort was phenomenal also.

Thanks for the info on the blades and nice stripes.

Def have a look at the 460 before you turn green. The slightly smaller tires and narrower frame on your 160 will cause a little more tearing of the turf than the bigger machines, plus were talking different hydro set ups on the 460 and the Deere compared to your 160, so it's not a fair comparison. I notice the same or less tearing of the turf with the 460 than I do with my Super Zs.

IMO John Deere makes a very nice cutting mower. And I know they rank up there at the top with Scag, Ferris, Hustler, Chopper, etc. Our dealer won't come off the 960 for less than $12,900.00 and I can't demo it first. Personally I don't care for how they look which is a stupid little thing and shouldn't effect it making money. Too many things made out of different materials and bolted on. The MOD option and the electric switch on the sticks for the deck lift are a very sweet option. There is no way a Deere comes close to the ride of the 460. The Ferris and Cheetah may but I haven't had any seat time on them. The fleet discount is just awesome. You can get a loaded 460 with all the attachments for about $10500.00 out the door with 0/48 financing and everything for the next 12 months from Gravely is 20% off. This means belts, filters, blades, another mower, etc. Deere probably does the same financing. Most use Shefield. The Deere would be easily $15000.00 for the equivalent. I've been die hard Hustler for quite a while, and I'm sure the new Z is quite a mower, but after driving the 460 and looking at the numbers I'm finding it hard to even go through the steps of demoing it because it will be a similar deal. Probably also in the $15500.00 range decked out. $5-6k can buy a lot of gas, new equipment, or something that has nothing to do with lawn care!:drinkup:

watsmi57
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
glad to see you guys are discovering about Gravely what I already know and love. :) I have had my two a year now and still love them both.

GMLC
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
glad to see you guys are discovering about Gravely what I already know and love. :) I have had my two a year now and still love them both.

Gravely is really getting more aggressive and getting the word out. They know the more people that demo the more they will sell. Word is spreading already. Plus the fleet program and 0 percent financing really puts the icing on the cake.
Posted via Mobile Device

jimfuel100
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM

What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

My 460 is at 8hrs and I'd like to change mine.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim

lawnman3
04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim i guess there is a first for everything right????

MJB
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.

mtmower
04-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.

I have one killer yard that is all my Super Zs can do to stay on and that's creeping, fuel tanks for weight, armrests up and me hanging out as far as I can on the up hill side. The Walker I demoed was bad enough I slid off in to the woods but to be far I didn't check the tire psi ( I like around 10-12). I learned my lesson and I check psi on any mower I demo now. I can have a big effect of ride and traction between just a few psi. Didn't have a chance to put the 460 on it. Only cut on the flat. Maybe someone else can comment on hills. I did notice the 460 runs a 24x11.5x12 kenda brand tire where my SZs run 24x12x12 Carlisles. Basically the same tread just a .5" narrower which in theory should have a better bite since it has more lbs. per sq. in. Oddly the rep said they like to run mid 20 psi and he said he'd be afraid someone may break the bead or peal one off the rim if you got to low. He may have just been covering the company for liability sake.

MJB
04-27-2012, 01:55 AM
I have one killer yard that is all my Super Zs can do to stay on and that's creeping, fuel tanks for weight, armrests up and me hanging out as far as I can on the up hill side. The Walker I demoed was bad enough I slid off in to the woods but to be far I didn't check the tire psi ( I like around 10-12). I learned my lesson and I check psi on any mower I demo now. I can have a big effect of ride and traction between just a few psi. Didn't have a chance to put the 460 on it. Only cut on the flat. Maybe someone else can comment on hills. I did notice the 460 runs a 24x11.5x12 kenda brand tire where my SZs run 24x12x12 Carlisles. Basically the same tread just a .5" narrower which in theory should have a better bite since it has more lbs. per sq. in. Oddly the rep said they like to run mid 20 psi and he said he'd be afraid someone may break the bead or peal one off the rim if you got to low. He may have just been covering the company for liability sake.

I'd drop the pressure to 8 to 10 lbs on hills , but I run 11 in my Exmarks, and 7 in my Outlaw, I've never lost the bead yet, but I don't get stupid on a hill or I'm sure you could probably pop the bead. Some guys run their mowers like their tanks and then have all kinds of issues.

Ridin' Green
04-27-2012, 02:00 AM
mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?:hammerhead::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.

GMLC
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Jim

Im going to use the kawi 30 weight for my first oil change. Then at 50 hours I will switch to mobil 1 10w-30. Thats what I run in all my equipment and have always had good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-27-2012, 08:33 AM

I havent had any traction problems yet. The 400 is a whole different animal than the 200. Give it a demo and let us know what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

jimfuel100
04-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Im going to use the kawi 30 weight for my first oil change. Then at 50 hours I will switch to mobil 1 10w-30. Thats what I run in all my equipment and have always had good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I will do the same.

JABBERS
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
How does the 400 do on hills? The 260 wasnt that good

JABBERS
04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I also heard someone talk about using line-x. I guess in the first coats there is a really tough clear coat like glass, they were talking about getting new mowers sprayed. I dont know if this is true or not.

mtmower
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?:hammerhead::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.

Yea. Big brother internet police are watching! Maybe the Walker guy will call my Gravely dealer as well!?!?!:laugh:

The main reason I won't consider JD is because of the persistent add that keeps popping up, that I must ex out of to get into this site!:dizzy:

No, really if you go about 14 threads up, you'll see the method to my madness. The 460 is a good mower. There may be greater mowers out there. One or two grand, when spending this much, is nothing in making my decision. I'll pay it in a heart beat to get the better mower. But when you're talking three to five grand difference when adding the options that's when I start rethinking things. I could by a new hydro walk behind or who know maybe gas with that extra green!

I'm not going to lie to you. The chute design still bothers me and I didn't get as much time as I'd of liked on different grass types, moisture, and slopes. I'm sure it has it's weak points. I was having trouble finding many in the time I had and as you've probably figured out by now, I can pick stuff apart pretty well (Just ask Walker). I can tell you, I cut side by side with my XR7 deck in fairly dry, thick, fine grass and the clipping dispersal was night and day. I could easily save myself half an hour to an hour blowing clippings and either make an early day of it or add another yard or two. I thought I had a grip on deck design, but when you look at the XR7 deck, Huskys deck, Scags, Deere, etc. they have a lot, and I mean a lot in common, yet the XR7 failed and the Husky was ok but not great, Scag and Deere seem to have the magic. You wouldn't think being so closely alike there would be this kind of difference. Yet this X factor, which looks like it should cause more problems way out performed the XR7 in clipping dispersal and I've tried about every baffle configuration available with no luck. I didn't think to throw a tape measure on the opening to see what it was. I know it's narrower than some but I was looking at my XR7 opening and I believe some of it is an optical illusion. My XR7 has about 4-5" of flat surface before the chute starts, the 460 has about 2". The XR7 has very little or no flat surface at the back of the deck. It pretty much goes right into the radius, but the 460 has this odd 6-8" chunk with an inner baffle at that point going inward toward the spindle. The 460 is more forward of center in the deck. I think if Gravely had not added this rear squared off section and you were looking at the radius curve of the deck it may not look so different. IMO this flat surface is there more to strengthen the deck for blower support when it's installed which seems like a good idea. So yea, I'm sure it's a little smaller but the thing that throws me off is I usually see the opening start further back on the deck and then extend all the way to the back, maybe with a tapered opening, without the hunk of flat 90 degree metal corner. It's hard for me to believe that with all the cad and wind tunnel computer type programs that a manufacturer can't find the perfect deck and blade recipe for northern and southern grasses and either offer a different deck for each area or a way to modify the deck to fit both areas.

mtmower
04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Check this out! Uses a knob to mount to the deck. No more bungie cords!

Ah... So that's how it goes. When I took it off to see how it did without it, I left it in the yard and probably would have driven off and left it. The only down side is this farm boy can't make his homemade operator controlled chute blocker ( read a piece of rope) with this set up. I'd have to step it up and buy the city version. Great marketing on Gravelys part. Less liability if it's set in the normal position and if you want the best of both world you need to buy their chute blocker or an aftermarket version.

I just notice you deck has a square hole in the back top for the pin on the chute or blower. IIRC the 460 had a round hole and round pin. Is the pin on your chute and blower square or are you putting a round pin in a square hole?:laugh: Sorry couldn't help myself.

mtmower
04-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Has anyone tried to install a front JRCO thatch rake on a 400 with the bagger weight kit installed on the front? Looks tight.

ProStreetCamaro
04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
They are on the mower. Going out in a few to cut my lawn. These things are huge and beefy compared to the OEM blades.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/20120427_124541.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/20120427_124555.jpg

Ridin' Green
04-27-2012, 02:48 PM
PSC-

I'll be very suprised if you don't love them, They are awesome at chopping the clippings down to very small pieces. When I look at the clippings that get blown out onto the pavement someplace, the pieces are about the same size as when I use the mulch kit.

ProStreetCamaro
04-27-2012, 05:17 PM
PSC-

I'll be very suprised if you don't love them, They are awesome at chopping the clippings down to very small pieces. When I look at the clippings that get blown out onto the pavement someplace, the pieces are about the same size as when I use the mulch kit.

They do very good! I am uploading some videos I took of me mowing my lawn to youtube right now.

GMLC
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Here are the bagger pics.

GMLC
04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Here are some properties I mowed today. Traction is not an issue with the 400 series. Also we had a hard rain last night so the grass was wet.

mtmower
04-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Looks very nice.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. So it looks like the rear bumper is unbolted and the catcher frame is bolted on in place of the rear bumper? How much time and how many bolts to switch it out? Are the bags perforated? Looks like they're made out of a solid nylon with no holes. My Hustler's are mesh on three sides and the side towards the machine is solid for air flow.

Husky's system on the PZ has to be the slickest and easiest of any I've seen. You install two large pins in the frame at the back bottom and two smaller pins up higher. Orig bumper and all stays in place and it just attaches and detaches from the four pins. And the pins are all that are left on the mower when the catcher is not on.

GMLC
04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Looks very nice.

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures. So it looks like the rear bumper is unbolted and the catcher frame is bolted on in place of the rear bumper? How much time and how many bolts to switch it out? Are the bags perforated? Looks like they're made out of a solid nylon with no holes. My Hustler's are mesh on three sides and the side towards the machine is solid for air flow.

Husky's system on the PZ has to be the slickest and easiest of any I've seen. You install two large pins in the frame at the back bottom and two smaller pins up higher. Orig bumper and all stays in place and it just attaches and detaches from the four pins. And the pins are all that are left on the mower when the catcher is not on.

Yes rear bumper had to come off. The bags are only solid on one side. I have not taken it off yet. Ill let you know when I do.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
04-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Two videos I shot today on my own lawn. X-Factor with the G6 blades. Dont know why the first video did not come up in HD. First shows the machine cutting and second shows the results. Video quality is not the best because I shot it with my DSLR and not a camcorder.

http://youtu.be/gXsUU6O7kAc

http://youtu.be/kwhHW18NxHM?hd=1

GMLC
04-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Two videos I shot today on my own lawn. X-Factor with the G6 blades. Dont know why the first video did not come up in HD. First shows the machine cutting and second shows the results. Video quality is not the best because I shot it with my DSLR and not a camcorder.

http://youtu.be/gXsUU6O7kAc

http://youtu.be/kwhHW18NxHM?hd=1

Very cool! Thanks for the vids.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
GLMC,

I am from NH also and I have a few questions for you if you dont mind. I am really interested in purchasing the Gravely 460, which dealers would you recommend around here? I have narrowed my search down to an exmark x series and the gravely. Problem is, I havent found somewhere to demo the Gravely. I have an exmark right now, and I am very happy with the cut quality, how do you think the gravely compares to the exmark cut quality?

When you talk about the fleet discount, what qualifies someone for that?

GREAT thread by the way, very informative and this thread is what turned me in the direction of the gravely.

GMLC
04-28-2012, 08:18 AM
GLMC,

I am from NH also and I have a few questions for you if you dont mind. I am really interested in purchasing the Gravely 460, which dealers would you recommend around here? I have narrowed my search down to an exmark x series and the gravely. Problem is, I havent found somewhere to demo the Gravely. I have an exmark right now, and I am very happy with the cut quality, how do you think the gravely compares to the exmark cut quality?

When you talk about the fleet discount, what qualifies someone for that?

GREAT thread by the way, very informative and this thread is what turned me in the direction of the gravely.

I bought mine through J&K Outdoor Power Equipment in Goffstown NH. Great people! The Gravely IMO has just as good or even a better cut in dry conditions and much better in wet conditions than Exmark. The fleet discount is 20% off when you buy at least $12000.00 in Gravely equipment.

You should have a PM from me with some contact info.

ProStreetCamaro
04-28-2012, 09:07 AM
The fleet discount is 20% off when you buy at least $12000.00 in Gravely equipment.

I wonder if that applies to previous purchases? We have 3 gravely mowers currently and had a pro-50 walkbehind years ago so obviously we are way over the $12K mark spent on gravely equipment. If I can get 20% off a new 460 I may consider going gravely again. But the deere dealer has really impressed me with the loaner program, high parts inventory and roadside pickup and loaner delivery. Dont even need to take the broken mower to the dealer, they come to you with the loaner and pick up your broken machine.

It is something I will have to think about.

watsmi57
04-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Gravely Fleet Program

Program Terms: Customer must purchase a minimum of $10,000 of Gravely branded products on a single invoice from the dealer. Any dealer fees or taxes do not count toward the purchase minimum. Purchase must be from a single user and P.O.#. No combination of companies allowed. Purchase must be delivered and invoiced at one time. All subsequent reorders for new Gravely equipment purchased in 2012, regardless of dollar value, are eligible for Fleet Assistance if delivered by December 31, 2012. Pricing subject to change. Contact your local Gravely dealer for current program details.

taken from here:

http://www.gravely.com/pages/fleetsavings/index.html

My dealer also told me last spring when I used this program that I still had to be over 10k after the 20% was taken off.

watsmi57
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I wonder if that applies to previous purchases?

No it does not. Only new ones, but if you buy a 460 now then decide in 6 mos. you want a WB or stander then discount would still apply. As long as it's before the end of year.

mtmower
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I was given different information from my dealer, Gravely rep, and Gravely regional manager. They're telling me $12,500.00 is the number that must be met. Once you meet this number of $12,500, any Gravely product including maintenance parts is 20% of for a window of 12 months from the original fleet discount purchase and subsequent items do not have to be on one receipt but as many as needed within that 12 month period.

watsmi57, I hope the info I was given is correct and you are wrong because I'm about to pull the trigger on a 460 and have another mower up for sale to possibly purchase another 460 within that 12 month window.

I just fired off and email to the regional rep to get clarification hopefully. I'll let you know.

GMLC
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I was told I get 20 percent off for the next 12 months. Maybe it is 12500 I thought it was 12000. Either way I qualified with the 452 and bagger. There is a thread about it in the Gravely section of this site.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
The Gravely gods have blessed me again!! Another opportunity I cant pass up. More details next week but here is a hint....prototype...

watsmi57
04-28-2012, 03:28 PM
sounds like they have changed the program but have not updated the website. Gravely posted the very same link that I gave you for fleet information about a month ago.

let us know what the higher ups have to say. my dealer had never even heard of this program when i used it last year. Another dealer that I got a quote from thought I was crazy asking about it. They had never heard of it either.

yes as long as you meet the initial amount. everything else you get from them that year will also be 20% off no matter how many different invoices you have.

lawnman3
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
The Gravely gods have blessed me again!! Another opportunity I cant pass up. More details next week but here is a hint....prototype... what hp is that on the prostance a 20 hp or bigger? looks like a great mower ...

Snapper Jack
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
The Gravely gods have blessed me again!! Another opportunity I cant pass up. More details next week but here is a hint....prototype...
So are you gonna keep us in suspense as to what deck is mounted on the snowmobile proto:laugh:

ProStreetCamaro
04-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Is that a new deck design? I can tell that its not an xfactor deck. I would think if they were coming out with a new deck it would come out first on a ZTR.

sprinter
04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
I was given different information from my dealer, Gravely rep, and Gravely regional manager. They're telling me $12,500.00 is the number that must be met. Once you meet this number of $12,500, any Gravely product including maintenance parts is 20% of for a window of 12 months from the original fleet discount purchase and subsequent items do not have to be on one receipt but as many as needed within that 12 month period.

watsmi57, I hope the info I was given is correct and you are wrong because I'm about to pull the trigger on a 460 and have another mower up for sale to possibly purchase another 460 within that 12 month window.

I just fired off and email to the regional rep to get clarification hopefully. I'll let you know.

The site mentioned above: http://www.gravely.com/pages/fleetsavings/index.html
says at the bottom that all items must be on the same invoice and purchase by the same single buyer, which implies that a year's worth of stuff doesn't count. It also says 15% rather than 20. Maybe the policy is changing, but I've heard about four different versions of this today alone. When you get an authoritative answer, please let us know. I could possibly get to 10,000 before discount, but not 12,500 before discount.

mtmower
04-29-2012, 12:48 AM
GMLC I had the benefit of seeing this mower as well. It was that new to the rep even that while I was demoing the 460 on a large lawn he went down three houses to another smaller lawn I do and played on it himself. Must have had fun because when I got down there to finish it he'd mowed the whole thing. Looks like another great machine. I would have to wait till they made it in a 36" for gates till I could sell my walk behind and buy one.

watsmi57
04-29-2012, 08:26 AM
I think you have to be looking at a minimum 12,500 worth of equipment(before tax) to get the discount. I was told by my dealer last season you have to still be over 10k after you get the 20% off to qualify for the program. So...

12,500 x 20% = 2500

12,500-2500 = 10,000

mtmower I think the information you have been given is correct.

GMLC what is that? A new stander design? Next year's model?

GMLC
04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Ok here is the scoop.....I hope to have the new Gravely Pro-Stance 52" stander by mid next week. I'm free to put 100 hours on the machine and provide feedback to Gravely every 20 hours. This is a prototype and may not be the same when it is in official production. It does have a 22hp kawi and an unmarked deck that doesn't appear to be an x-factor. My dealer has no info at all on it and I don't think many people do at this point. I will be starting a new thread because of all the stander guys on lawnsite. I'm very excited to say the least!!!

MJB
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok here is the scoop.....I hope to have the new Gravely Pro-Stance 52" stander by mid next week. I'm free to put 100 hours on the machine and provide feedback to Gravely every 20 hours. This is a prototype and may not be the same when it is in official production. It does have a 22hp kawi and an unmarked deck that doesn't appear to be an x-factor. My dealer has no info at all on it and I don't think many people do at this point. I will be starting a new thread because of all the stander guys on lawnsite. I'm very excited to say the least!!!

Now we need a few more mower brands to do the same thing with their prototype Standers. Seems like Standers are growing in popularity around here too. I like what Gravely is doing. Hopefully they will send you many different blade options to test also on the new deck. Have fun. I know I enjoyed the 2012 BB Outlaw Prototype last year even though it took a little more time taking pics of the cut etc and testing blade combos that worked best in this area.
The Standers look like fun. Take as many pics as you can and share.

mtmower
04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The little I know is they feel confident they have made a better stander than Wright. I'm not a stander guy but from what I've read, Wright may be the bench mark to beat. They were talking twin pumps/motors, lower center of gravity then any other, hand and foot operated deck lift system, and some other nice features. It all sounded good even to a guy that likes a seat. It sure would beat a walk behind for my gated areas. So maybe some day.........:rolleyes:

Defiantly check on some other blades. I did notice on the yard the rep cut with it had a little more clippings then the 460 left for me. By no means was it terrible. And this is a challenging yard for my Hustlers. I spend approx. 10-15 blowing clippings after cutting. Very healthy. I may have spent 2-3 min. so it was minor. The X Factor on a different yard was even better.

MJB
04-29-2012, 03:13 PM
The little I know is they feel confident they have made a better stander than Wright. I'm not a stander guy but from what I've read, Wright may be the bench mark to beat. They were talking twin pumps/motors, lower center of gravity then any other, hand and foot operated deck lift system, and some other nice features. It all sounded good even to a guy that likes a seat. It sure would beat a walk behind for my gated areas. So maybe some day.........:rolleyes:

Defiantly check on some other blades. I did notice on the yard the rep cut with it had a little more clippings then the 460 left for me. By no means was it terrible. And this is a challenging yard for my Hustlers. I spend approx. 10-15 blowing clippings after cutting. Very healthy. I may have spent 2-3 min. so it was minor. The X Factor on a different yard was even better.

I am not a fan at all of the XR7 deck at least in my area. He may have cut the other lawn shorter than you do normally, leaving more clippings plus most reps don't know any of the tricks we use to hide the clippings, so my guess would be its a better deck than the xr7. But your older Hustler deck probably cuts better and stays cleaner than the xr7 also.

mtmower
04-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I am not a fan at all of the XR7 deck at least in my area. He may have cut the other lawn shorter than you do normally, leaving more clippings plus most reps don't know any of the tricks we use to hide the clippings, so my guess would be its a better deck than the xr7. But your older Hustler deck probably cuts better and stays cleaner than the xr7 also.

Yes on all accounts except for cutting height. I went over with him to talk to the widow that owns the house. I wanted to explain why there was a clean cut guy was cutting her lawn with a new shinny mower instead of ratty old me to put her mind at ease. He and I then discussed what height to cut it at and it looked right my naked eye when I saw it afterward. It's not to say the deck could have needed calibrated to the deck height control guage.

Comparing anything to the XR7 is extreme, I know, and yea, the standard SZ deck did better with clippings then the XR7.

I guess what I was trying to say was the 460 X Factor deck did a slightly nicer job with the clippings, and that the idea that you gave of trying different blades on it was possibly warranted. I wasn't running the stand on so I can't say if anything could have been done to change the final outcome.

mtmower
04-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Ok here's straight from my awesome Gravely rep Fred Joyner. I'm not quite sure what the
flyer pricing is about. I'm a little confused on that. I hope this helps clear up questions.

Actually, the Fleet discount is only in a “Calendar” year. So, once you make a purchase, and qualify, you can buy like an edger, or snow thrower or a power rake or another lawnmower, and it would qualify on the Fleet program, because of your original purchase.

But, again, only in a Calendar year.

The $12,500 is the suggested Retail or MSRP off a unit. You simply add up list price on products and take 20% off.

Once the net invoice (after discount of 20%) is $10,000, the purchase is qualified.

As I mentioned, the Flyer Pricing (newsprint handout) is about 10% off list. (This is a rough estimate, and does not include Turf products as the flyer uses a different matrix for Turf product, not all turf product qualifies for 10% off (like outsourced ).

Do not take 20% off the newsprint flyer to determine the final fleet cost.

Fleet is for serialized units and accessories.

I am pretty sure it includes mulch kits, and accessories at time of purchase, but I do not believe that it includes service parts.

FYI

mtmower
04-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Anyone running the ribbed pneumatics on the front of a Gravely that can tell me the brand?

Also curious if anyone is running a OCDC? Want to verify that it goes all the way closed entirely blocking off the chute and that it opens at least straight out if not even a little higher.

watsmi57
04-30-2012, 06:22 AM
I am pretty sure it includes mulch kits, and accessories at time of purchase, but I do not believe that it includes service parts.

FYI

i got the OCDC's and mulch kits with both of mine and got them discounted as well under the program. yes they both fully close off the chute. they slide up and down. all the way up is fully open as well.

that print flyer must be some promo thing they have going on. He was saying you have to take the 20% off of full list price. The list has to be 12,500 at least to keep you at the 10k minimum after the discount.

I don't think service parts are included either. just machine accessories.

the bottom line is they have to have at least 10k of your money ;)

mtmower
04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the feed back watsmi57. How do you like either the OCDC or the mulch kits?

Can someone with a 400 series tell me how many grease zirks there are on the machine and where they are located?

GMLC
04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the feed back watsmi57. How do you like either the OCDC or the mulch kits?

Can someone with a 400 series tell me how many grease zirks there are on the machine and where they are located?

Zero....This was one of my concerns in the begining. Gravely asured me they have not had any problems. It is a hard habbit to break. Im so use to greasing spindles etc. etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
So nothing even on the idler/tensioner for the hydro belt or deck belt or on the front wheel bearings? Wow. This will be tough. If it actually works long term talk about being spoiled. People will buy Gravely just out of laziness and not wanting to do maintenance. Next will be sealed and filterless hydro systems and engines!:confused: You wouldn't think they would do this for financial reasons. I mean how much does a hand full of zirks cost? If anything I'd think it would cost more to find quality materials that are completely sealed or work in place of a constantly greased point. And I thought the nine on a Hustler was a cake walk!

watsmi57
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I love my OCDC on both mowers! They are great! I think they should come standard on all mowers. Being able to open and close off the deck on the fly is very useful. I run without the rubber chute as well. Once I had the OCDC on both mowers. I did not see the point in the rubber anymore. I have never even tried my mulch kits because the OCDC's have worked so well for me.

as long as they are installed correctly they will fully close, or fully open, or any variation in between.

mtmower
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I love my OCDC on both mowers! They are great! I think they should come standard on all mowers. Being able to open and close off the deck on the fly is very useful. I run without the rubber chute as well. Once I had the OCDC on both mowers. I did not see the point in the rubber anymore. I have never even tried my mulch kits because the OCDC's have worked so well for me.

as long as they are installed correctly they will fully close, or fully open, or any variation in between.

Thanks again for the info. I believe your mowers may have come with ribbed pneumatics on the front instead of the no flats the 400s come with. If so can you tell me what brand? I have a couple Carlisles for my Hustlers and want to see if Gravely uses the same. If not I'll want to buy a couple for quick replacement.

watsmi57
04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
My WB has no flat front casters. The 252 has Americana z Pro 15x6.00-6 on the front. They are smooth tires. I have tubes in them both already. I almost went to no flats after I got it but I hear they are rougher on the turf and the ride. To the best of my knowledge 2010 was the last year they used the ribbed front caster tire.

ProStreetCamaro
04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
So nothing even on the idler/tensioner for the hydro belt or deck belt or on the front wheel bearings? Wow. This will be tough. If it actually works long term talk about being spoiled. People will buy Gravely just out of laziness and not wanting to do maintenance. Next will be sealed and filterless hydro systems and engines!:confused: You wouldn't think they would do this for financial reasons. I mean how much does a hand full of zirks cost? If anything I'd think it would cost more to find quality materials that are completely sealed or work in place of a constantly greased point. And I thought the nine on a Hustler was a cake walk!

Just replaced the caster bearings this spring at 1350 hours on the 160z. They fell apart and were dry. I do not like no grease fittings at all. First mower without them and first time we have ever had castor bearings go bad........ go figure
Posted via Mobile Device

mtmower
04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Just replaced the caster bearings this spring at 1350 hours on the 160z. They fell apart and were dry. I do not like no grease fittings at all. First mower without them and first time we have ever had castor bearings go bad........ go figure
Posted via Mobile Device

The Super Zs do not have zirks o the casters either and I think it's not uncommon in the caster area now not to have them. No problems on the SZs in the caster area even without fittings. I'm more concerned about the idler/tensioners not having them. Lots of movement and vibration there. I questioned the deck lift/pivot point not having fittings and the response I was given made a lot of sense. I was told they use a nylon bushing instead. Once the bushing wears enough you would need to replace them, but I'm told it's not very common at all to need it. The upside is less vibration and noise transmitted to the machine from the deck. Almost acts like an isolator. Also the pipe within a pipe plus a fitting like Hustler and many others run is good for a long time if kept greased, but once you have wear in these parts, what do you do? It's part of the frame so you looking at basically working with a sloppy deck (which most of us with high hrs. do), expensive fixes, or an new mower.

Ridin' Green
04-30-2012, 06:18 PM
mtnmower & PSC-

this may be of interest to you, then again, maybe not. I am not a big Harbour Freight fan, but they do have a couple things every now and then that are useful. My neighbor goes there constantly, and picked up a few of their grease "needles". You fasten them to your grease gun, then stick the needle down in between the seal and the bearing in sealed bearings (not through the seal) and inject grease into them to help prolong their lifespan. The needle is small and doesn't really do any damage to your seals when use correctly, but it does allow you to get new grease in and around the bearings. I have one myself, but have had no actual reason to use it yet. I did however, try it on a couple of my sealed bearings and it does work. Just thought I'd throw that out there to consider.

mtmower
05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
mtnmower & PSC-

this may be of interest to you, then again, maybe not. I am not a big Harbour Freight fan, but they do have a couple things every now and then that are useful. My neighbor goes there constantly, and picked up a few of their grease "needles". You fasten them to your grease gun, then stick the needle down in between the seal and the bearing in sealed bearings (not through the seal) and inject grease into them to help prolong their lifespan. The needle is small and doesn't really do any damage to your seals when use correctly, but it does allow you to get new grease in and around the bearings. I have one myself, but have had no actual reason to use it yet. I did however, try it on a couple of my sealed bearings and it does work. Just thought I'd throw that out there to consider.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into one.

GMLC
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I want to update my review of the 400 series as I have been cutting in the rain for almost 6 days now. No clumps, stringers or double cutting. I have been very impressed with the X-Factor deck in wet conditions. Honestly the velocity deck has a better discharge pattern but the X-Factor is still very impressive in these adverse conditions. Also I have not had any traction problems on wet grass and hillside stability is awesome.

mtmower
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Looks good! Can you tell me if the hr meter also has the tach option on the 400? Some of the mowers I demoed and my Z spray has a SecDec that has a tach and also a maintenance reminder that can be reset by pushing a little gray button on the face.

GMLC
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Looks good! Can you tell me if the hr meter also has the tach option on the 400? Some of the mowers I demoed and my Z spray has a SecDec that has a tach and also a maintenance reminder that can be reset by pushing a little gray button on the face.

I now it is a SecDec and has the maintenance reminders. I dont know about a tach. Oh and the bagging system does come off with 4 bolts.

Snapper Jack
05-04-2012, 11:15 PM
No clumping,decent discharge ,mows in the wet,sounds like you made the right choice going Gravely.Do you know if their walk behinds are of the same caliber?

StanWilhite
05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
GMLC in light of our past discussions and differences of opinion on certain topics (such as what constitutes "commercial grade"), it makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy " inside to know that we both agree that there is a lot of serious "commercial grade" equipment out there that doesn't have "Scag" written on it! :)

Glad you're diggin' your new ride, and I'm enjoying all of the pics and evaluations!

Stan

GMLC
05-04-2012, 11:30 PM
No clumping,decent discharge ,mows in the wet,sounds like you made the right choice going Gravely.Do you know if their walk behinds are of the same caliber?

Sorry I havent tried the walkbehinds. I dont know if they have the x-factor deck? They do look really nice especially the pro steer controls. I will be spending a lot of time on Gravely's new stander soon and will review it.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
GMLC in light of our past discussions and differences of opinion on certain topics (such as what constitutes "commercial grade"), it makes me feel all "warm and fuzzy " inside to know that we both agree that there is a lot of serious "commercial grade" equipment out there that doesn't have "Scag" written on it! :)

Glad you're diggin' your new ride, and I'm enjoying all of the pics and evaluations!

Stan

Thanks! I did loose a lot of sleep at first not buying orange for the first time in 15 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks! I did loose a lot of sleep at first not buying orange for the first time in 15 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll bet you did...but.....looks like you made the right decision. My son bought a new 252 back in '07 or so, and he's been very happy with it. I'm sure you will be too.
Stan

Kanman
05-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Hey all, I dont usually post much on here, but I do read quite a bit. I thought I might share my experience with my Gravely mower over the years.

I purchased my Gravely Promaster 250Z mower somewhere around 1999 - 2000 brand new. I originally purchased for commercial mowing use, and used it as such until 2006 when I got out of the mowing business all together. These days she has an easy life mowing my 3 acre property.

Im going to list the broken parts I have replaced on her over the years, and you can make your mind up about Gravely from there.

Shortly after purchasing my Gravely I had the electric clutch for the deck blades go out. This was replaced under warranty no charge. She is on her third set of belts, the first set was damaged when the clutch went out, so to be fair I have only had to put 1 belt on at my own expense. I am on my 3rd set of blades. 2nd set of steer tires, the drive tires are original. The seat kill switch is bad, I just need to get a new switch to fix it.

Thats it. Thats the whole list of broken parts in about 12 years of owning her. Air, oil and fuel filters get replaced at least once a season. But, Ive never even changed the spark plugs on the unit. I added lights, and a tow hitch to her. I always run synthetic oil and change twice a summer just because...

Over the years I have demo'd multiple different brands of mowers, and have always stuck with my Gravely. I just cant find anything superior enough to this little mower to justify me spending money. The only real things I can find fault with this mower. The weight, she is heavy. A new operator does have to be extra careful turning or you will rip grass very quickly. I hate changing the blades. The best way I have found is to roll it up on car ramps and lay on the ground. Thats a pain in the butt.

Images were taken today, right after I gave her a bath.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6223/grave1f.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8589/grave2e.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6660/grave3.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6136/grave4.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6149/grave5.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/884/grave6.jpg

Oh, and yeah. Before somebody asks. That is the original seat. Not a scratch on it, it could literally pass for new.

Snapper Jack
05-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Kanman........What's you opinion on the Vanguards and what GPH are you getting with the 20HP?

Kanman
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Kanman........What's you opinion on the Vanguards and what GPH are you getting with the 20HP?

Very few issues with the engine itself. The valve covers stay eternally damp from oil seepage. Its not that they actually leak or drip, its almost like an osmosis thing where they stay just damp enough to always look dusty. There is probably an easy fix, but I have never taken the time to deal with it. Ive never touched anything other than filters and a couple of new batteries on that motor. [knock on wood] nothing ever needs replacing.

I honestly don't have a good grasp on fuel consumption these days, since all I mow is my own property. Ten or fifteen gallons will last me the entire summer. Its comparing apples to oranges for commercial mowing, sorry I don't have better numbers for you.

I've never regretted getting the Vanguard motor. Its a good starter in all temps. Doesn't get fussy with the choke position. From dead cold, even on hot days I choke for half a second while cranking. Soon as it hits I shut the choke off and shes ready to go. Shes not in the least bit cold blooded. Throttle up and go...

I do run a mulch kit, and in very heavy wet grass its possible to lug the motor to the point where you might have to let up, or even stop to let the motor rpm catch back up. But, that in an extreme situation, and its the mulch kits fault not the engine. It just cant clean itself fast enough to keep up with the action.

Ridin' Green
05-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Kanman-
I think the Vanguard is a great engine, and I'm not suprised you haven't had any real trouble from yours. BTW, all the Kohler's I've had with OH valves had sooty/seepage covered valve covers too. Not quite as bad with my Kawi's for some reason. These days I'd take a Vanguard as readily as I would a Kawi, and that's saying something for me because I've had extremely good luck so far with Kawi's. Not so much with Kohler anymore.

Snapper Jack
05-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Kanman ....Thank You!

GMLC
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Kanman...Thanks for the pics. She is in really nice shape for her age!
Posted via Mobile Device

brian1425
05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
GMLC - have you had the chance to use the stander yet?

GMLC
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
GMLC - have you had the chance to use the stander yet?

Not yet, sorry. The prototype I thought was for me was actually for the district manager. Mine should arrive in a couple weeks. Im looking forward to another review.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kanman
05-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Kanman...Thanks for the pics. She is in really nice shape for her age!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reading your post actually inspired me to get mine cleaned back up. Im actually going to see about re painting the underside of the deck.

I wonder if the Gravely mechanics are kinda like the lonely Maytag repairmen. They dont know their customers, because they never see them after the original sale LOL. The local Gravely shop here does not know me from Adam.

ProStreetCamaro
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Got quotes for a 460 today.

31hp $10,259 + tax
27hp $9,894 + tax

What do you guys think?

sprinter
05-14-2012, 12:59 PM

31hp $10,259 + tax
27hp $9,894 + tax

What do you guys think?
I think you should buy it and let me use it...

GMLC
05-14-2012, 01:11 PM

31hp $10,259 + tax
27hp $9,894 + tax

What do you guys think?

Did you get the fleet pricing? If you spend 12500 you should get 20 percent off. I got my 452 with bagging system for around 10600.
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
So its like getting the bagging system for free.

watsmi57
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM

31hp $10,259 + tax
27hp $9,894 + tax

What do you guys think?

sounds about right. their website says the 400 series starts at $10,949 MSRP. which means the 452 with the 24.5 Kaw is 10,949 (retail price). they go up from there depending on deck and engine size.

add some accessories to that purchase and use the fleet discount and basically get them for free (like GMLC said)

get a chute blocker...they are great!

ProStreetCamaro
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Did you get the fleet pricing? If you spend 12500 you should get 20 percent off. I got my 452 with bagging system for around 10600.
Posted via Mobile Device

How much does the bagger run? We dont bag anything so it didnt cross my mind to ask. I can see where it would be useful at certain times like fall to bag up leaves. How much was the bagger for your 452?

GMLC
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
How much does the bagger run? We dont bag anything so it didnt cross my mind to ask. I can see where it would be useful at certain times like fall to bag up leaves. How much was the bagger for your 452?

Around $2000. But you can get any Gravely products to get you to $12500.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I will be honest here. We have never spent over 6500 on a mower. Our $6500 160Z is just as productive and make us just as much money as a 460 will at almost double the price. We have always been ones to go for the lower models because when it comes right down to it the lower models typically

1. Are just as productive
2. Save a lot of money
3. built more than heavy enough to handle commercial residential cutting
4. Have the same decks as the pricier models
5. Tend to be lighter in weight
6. Have less stuff in the way and are easier to service

Our 160Z comes in at less than 1000 pounds and is very easy to work on and has the same deck as the 260 and 460 and has tons of power. Current prices on the 160 is about $7300. So for another $3000 what am I gaining with the 460? The machine is heavier and has a super sweet seat. Realistically that is about what it boils down to so I am having a real hard time trying to convince myself to buy a top dollar machine. Actually I think we are going to end up with a new JD Z720 at $7400. Same thing applies to the JD mowers. The 700 series is the same as the 900 series. even has the same frame. Just has smaller tires, 10cc hydros (which use less engine power and make more torque than larger hydros), standard seat and holds a couple less gallons of fuel. Same frame and same deck and same performance at a considerably cheaper price.

For us it has always been about being productive, doing a good quality job while keeping our overhead as low as possible. We paid $17800 for our 2500HD brand new. We have the pleasure of not having to rent a place to keep the equipment and I am mechanically inclined and do most of the work on the machines myself. Our operating costs are very very minimal compared to most operations. I would love just just pony up and plop down 10K for a mower but for gods sake you can buy a small much more sophisticated car for almost that much. These manufacturers are bending people over if you catch my drift. :cry:

GMLC
05-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I will be honest here. We have never spent over 6500 on a mower. Our $6500 160Z is just as productive and make us just as much money as a 460 will at almost double the price. We have always been ones to go for the lower models because when it comes right down to it the lower models typically

1. Are just as productive
2. Save a lot of money
3. built more than heavy enough to handle commercial residential cutting
4. Have the same decks as the pricier models
5. Tend to be lighter in weight
6. Have less stuff in the way and are easier to service

Our 160Z comes in at less than 1000 pounds and is very easy to work on and has the same deck as the 260 and 460 and has tons of power. Current prices on the 160 is about $7300. So for another $3000 what am I gaining with the 460? The machine is heavier and has a super sweet seat. Realistically that is about what it boils down to so I am having a real hard time trying to convince myself to buy a top dollar machine. Actually I think we are going to end up with a new JD Z720 at $7400. Same thing applies to the JD mowers. The 700 series is the same as the 900 series. even has the same frame. Just has smaller tires, 10cc hydros (which use less engine power and make more torque than larger hydros), standard seat and holds a couple less gallons of fuel. Same frame and same deck and same performance at a considerably cheaper price.

For us it has always been about being productive, doing a good quality job while keeping our overhead as low as possible. We paid $17800 for our 2500HD brand new. We have the pleasure of not having to rent a place to keep the equipment and I am mechanically inclined and do most of the work on the machines myself. Our operating costs are very very minimal compared to most operations. I would love just just pony up and plop down 10K for a mower but for gods sake you can buy a small much more sophisticated car for almost that much. These manufacturers are bending people over if you catch my drift. :cry:

I know how you feel man. It is alot of money. But the only thing the 160 and 460 have in common is the deck. Everything else is completely different. You need to at least demo the 460 before you make your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-14-2012, 11:41 PM
I know how you feel man. It is alot of money. But the only thing the 160 and 460 have in common is the deck. Everything else is completely different. You need to at least demo the 460 before you make your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know they are very different. I guess what I am saying is they both accomplish the same task in a similar time frame and reliability stand point. So why bother spending a lot of extra money on a nicer riding machine when the cheaper one will do the same job? We love our 160Z. It has about 1500 hours on it now which in the commercial world is really not that much. My dads favorite mower to operate is our old 1998 lazer z hp. :laugh:

mtmower
05-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Pulled the trigger on a 460 last Thursday. Anxious to get it and start playing! Now Richard Petty and I can hang out!

GMLC
05-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Pulled the trigger on a 460 last Thursday. Anxious to get it and start playing! Now Richard Petty and I can hang out!

Congrats! I cant wait for you to put some more time on it and continue your review.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Congratulations on finally deciding on that mower, it seems to be a very solid mower. I will be looking into one in june sometime, just waiting for the spring rush to be over and all the payments to start coming in and I will be in the same boat as you guys, I am actually going to go through the same dealer that GLMC did, seem like very good people to do business with.

JDGlandscape
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
GLMC, I will be sure to let them know you were the referal and the reason I will begoing through them :drinkup:

watsmi57
05-15-2012, 07:35 PM
mtmower - congrats! I think you made a good decision. You will be happy with Gravely.

prostreetcamaro - I feel ya. All these things have gone through my mind as well. I like the extra space and the heavier duty build that the 200 series and up have. I think the 200's are well worth the extra money over the 100's.

When it comes time for me to reup I am not sure I need to pay an extra $1500 for a cushioned ride either. Like you said they are all commercial quality capable to cut machines. Lower operating costs means more money in our pocket.

My dealer and I had this exact same conversation last week about the 460's. Was there enough stuff different about it to warrant the extra cost over the 260's.

GMLC what exactly is difference between the 200's and 400's. I know the 'air ride" seat and control arm deck hangers are new. What else? My dealer hasn't gotten one in yet. 8/

GMLC
05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
mtmower - congrats! I think you made a good decision. You will be happy with Gravely.

prostreetcamaro - I feel ya. All these things have gone through my mind as well. I like the extra space and the heavier duty build that the 200 series and up have. I think the 200's are well worth the extra money over the 100's.

When it comes time for me to reup I am not sure I need to pay an extra $1500 for a cushioned ride either. Like you said they are all commercial quality capable to cut machines. Lower operating costs means more money in our pocket.

My dealer and I had this exact same conversation last week about the 460's. Was there enough stuff different about it to warrant the extra cost over the 260's.

GMLC what exactly is difference between the 200's and 400's. I know the 'air ride" seat and control arm deck hangers are new. What else? My dealer hasn't gotten one in yet. 8/

Isolated platforms for the engine, seat, and foot rest. Lower center of gravity, dial adjust deck, adjustable foot pedal and deck lift system, bigger frame, air seat, adjustable control arms, more engine options and Im sure I missed a few other things.

GMLC
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
GLMC, I will be sure to let them know you were the referal and the reason I will begoing through them :drinkup:

Thanks!:drinkup::drinkup:

Kleen Kutz
05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks!:drinkup::drinkup:

I'm interested in Gravely also!!! What's the cost of the 452 series? It seems like it's tough like scag. Do you think it's better than scag or on the same level with them? I didn't read every last thread on this but I'm sure you probably said it. Can you give me a real quick review on it again? Thanks!*trucewhiteflag*

GMLC
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm interested in Gravely also!!! What's the cost of the 452 series? It seems like it's tough like scag. Do you think it's better than scag or on the same level with them? I didn't read every last thread on this but I'm sure you probably said it. Can you give me a real quick review on it again? Thanks!*trucewhiteflag*

I have run Scags for 15 years and still do. Honestly they are on the same level in my opinion. The Gravely cuts a little better in dry conditions and Scag cuts a little better in wet conditions. Fit and finish goes to Gravely and comfort as well. My 452 with the bagging system was $10600 or so. I qualified for fleet pricing and 0% financing for 4 years. I would suggest you demo any mower your interested in before you make your final decision. Took me like 3 months to make mine! If you go back to the begining of this thread I posted a ton more info and pics. It would benefit you to read through it all...

Kleen Kutz
05-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I have run Scags for 15 years and still do. Honestly they are on the same level in my opinion. The Gravely cuts a little better in dry conditions and Scag cuts a little better in wet conditions. Fit and finish goes to Gravely and comfort as well. My 452 with the bagging system was $10600 or so. I qualified for fleet pricing and 0% financing for 4 years. I would suggest you demo any mower your interested in before you make your final decision. Took me like 3 months to make mine! If you go back to the begining of this thread I posted a ton more info and pics. It would benefit you to read through it all...

Yes I did, and it really helping me with info on the Gravely. I always did like Gravely and Scag but I went with Scag. Now I wanna get the 452. I'll check with my local dealer on the price of the 452. Hopefully I can get a good deal!!!:laugh:

Gravely Commercial
05-23-2012, 07:07 PM

I sent you a private message.

mtmower
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Well I'm excited. Even though we've had three days of rain and they're showing a chance of rain for the next seven days, my 460 just came in at the dealership. Depending on weather (weather I can cut or not due to rain) I may be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Then it's shorter deck bolts, full coat of wax, install accessories, and I'm good to go. Just missed the Gravely picture competition buy a couple days!

GMLC
05-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Well I'm excited. Even though we've had three days of rain and they're showing a chance of rain for the next seven days, my 460 just came in at the dealership. Depending on weather (weather I can cut or not due to rain) I may be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Then it's shorter deck bolts, full coat of wax, install accessories, and I'm good to go. Just missed the Gravely picture competition buy a couple days!

Congrats again! We have had rain on and off here for the last three weeks. The X-Factor has performed great in wet conditions. I will be doing another update soon as my hours are racking up and Im getting a good feel for my 452.
Posted via Mobile Device

trooper8870
05-28-2012, 01:26 AM
I ran the 27 hp on the 260 and it had plenty of power. I got .64 gph running the 27 hp I checked. I would think 27 is enough for a 66 inch deck. Another thing is there should be more motor selections offered with the gravely.

A diesel unit would be nice!! I would look at the Gravely 400 series a little more if they did.

2stroked
05-28-2012, 01:48 AM
A diesel unit would be nice!! I would look at the Gravely 400 series a little more if they did.

I'm sure they will adventualy incorporate a diesel model into their line up. Gravely has been listening to consumers an really making some great mowers lately. I wish I ha the money to buy one of those gravely 400 series mowers. They seem really nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

watsmi57
05-28-2012, 05:36 AM
a 25hp Kubota diesel is already an option. I just don't think the Gravely website has been updated yet. My dealer said he ordered one already too. check this link.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=377853

mtmower
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
a 25hp Kubota diesel is already an option. I just don't think the Gravely website has been updated yet. My dealer said he ordered one already too. check this link.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=377853

This is correct. Look here.

http://www.gravely.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/SellSheets/Zero%20Turn/SellSheet_ProTurn400.pdf

trooper8870
05-28-2012, 03:11 PM
I did find the Kubota Diesel option today. I will be paying a visit to the Gravely dealer real soon!!

mtmower
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Not that GMLC isn't doing an awesome job on reviewing the 400 series, because he is, but I started writing a review on the 460 at this thread. Didn't necessarily mean for it to happen this way but you can go to this thread. Hope this further helps someone.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=379728

GMLC
05-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Now that I have over 30 hours on my 452 I would like to update everyone on a few things. I'm now very comfortable with the machine.

I have had no mechanical problems or problems of any sort!(knock on wood) Every time I mow I look forward to getting back on this machine. It truly is a pleasure to mow with. The comfort is unmatched in the industry. IMO this is a better set up than a full suspension mower as the whole machine and deck doesn't bounce or move affecting the quality of cut. Gravely has set the bar for all others!

The center of gravity is very low and the machine sticks to hills. I have shocked myself with some of things I have done. Some by purpose some not!! Traction is very good as well. I run 10-12 psi in the rear tires and the fronts are hybrid run flats which have a really good ride and do not require air. They feel to have about 8 psi to me.

The quality of cut continues to impress me as well as my clients. We have had about 3 weeks of on and off rain and I continue to cut because I can! I do not run the chute as the clipping dispersal is much better with it off. The X-Factor deck does like razor sharp blades and is not very forgiving with dull blades like my velocity decks are. The only stringers I have had were in very fine fescue at near top speed. I just slowed down a bit and the problem was gone. I'm thinking of trying high lift blades to see if there is any difference at top speed mowing.

The Hydro-Gears are super smooth and quite. It really is hard to tear the turf. I have been happy so far! I will be changing the fluid and filters at 75 hours. Im going to go with synthetic.

The Kawi 24hp(27 old rating) has had more than enough power. I did my first oil change at 8 hours and it was very easy. Gravely has installed a drain hose and I made no mess. At 50 hours I will be doing my next oil change and switching to synthetic.

Here are some pictures of my machine that I clean every Sunday and some of the hills I mow. Also just some random pics...

GMLC
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
More hill pics...

GMLC
05-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Random pics...

mtmower
05-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Looks nice! What's the beverage of choice in the cup holder? Doesn't that effect how straight the striping is?

GMLC
05-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Looks nice! What's the beverage of choice in the cup holder? Doesn't that effect how straight the striping is?

I was wondering who would see that first! Only on cleaning day! Goose Island IPA.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape
05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
The cut of that mower does look great! Gravely should be thanking you, I know of a few guys on here you have convinced to get one including me, if it werent for this thread I wouldnt be demoing one soon.
With lawns that size, do you ever wish you got the 460 instead? I am from almost the same area as you, a little northeast and I have a 52 and most of the time i am wishing I had the 60 inch cut.. Is it something you have tried and not liked it?

PS- I actually recognized one of those properties that you had pictures of :laugh: only been to that area a couple times but I have most definitely seen it before

GMLC
05-28-2012, 09:17 PM
The cut of that mower does look great! Gravely should be thanking you, I know of a few guys on here you have convinced to get one including me, if it werent for this thread I wouldnt be demoing one soon.
With lawns that size, do you ever wish you got the 460 instead? I am from almost the same area as you, a little northeast and I have a 52 and most of the time i am wishing I had the 60 inch cut.. Is it something you have tried and not liked it?

PS- I actually recognized one of those properties that you had pictures of :laugh: only been to that area a couple times but I have most definitely seen it before

Honestly I do want a 460 but my trailers are 6x12 enclosed so I cant fit a 60. When I upgrade my trailers I will get 7x14 or 7x16 to fit a 60" ZTR and a walkbehind.

Over 90% of my accounts are in Amherst, New Boston and Bedford. I try to keep everything within a 15 mile radius. Let me know if you are in the area and want to try my mower or check it out.

Ridin' Green
05-28-2012, 11:53 PM
I spotted the brew right off too, but obviously I wasn't first to see your post and mention it. (It didn't take mtnmower long to spot it, so maybe that's why he was having such a hard time deciding on which mower to buy :drinkup::laugh:)

GMLC-
I noticed in several of your pics that there is a much more distinct/pronounced edge between opposing stripes on the discharge chute side of the deck. Have you checked the side to side level recently? I mention that because on one of my mowers, when I hang the power bagger blower off it, it tends to dip slightly from the added weight and leave more pronounced markings between stripes at the opposite side of the deck.

GMLC
05-29-2012, 12:02 AM
I spotted the brew right off too, but obviously I wasn't first to see your post and mention it. (It didn't take mtnmower long to spot it, so maybe that's why he was having such a hard time deciding on which mower to buy :drinkup::laugh:)

GMLC-
I noticed in several of your pics that there is a much more distinct/pronounced edge between opposing stripes on the discharge chute side of the deck. Have you checked the side to side level recently? I mention that because on one of my mowers, when I hang the power bagger blower off it, it tends to dip slightly from the added weight and leave more pronounced markings between stripes at the opposite side of the deck.

I will have to check it. I wonder if those pics were when I still had my weight kit on for the bagger? Which has two weights on one side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I see it the most in pictures 8,10,11, and the 3rd from the last picture. Some of the others don't look that way at all, so maybe that was the problem there as you mentioned?

mtmower
05-29-2012, 01:21 AM
The dipping could be caused by the added weight of the bottle in the cup holder. If drank it may correct things. Or maybe it actually needs a full bottle in the cup holder at all times to keep it level. Perfect name for the next micro brew "G460" bottled by Gravely of course. When opened smells like fresh cut grass and sunshine! At the bottom of the bottle label below the pic of a... wait for it... 460, it would state something like "Guaranteed to Lay Some Stripes" or "Straighten your Stripes". In the commercial there would be quite a number of nice looking lasses standing around guys on Exmarks, John Deeres, Hustlers, Bad Boys, Kubotas, Scags, etc. doing their thing but when the hot red 460 pulls in the yard they all come running as the sprinkler system comes on and then...........:laugh:

Ridin' Green
05-29-2012, 01:42 AM
The dipping could be caused by the added weight of the bottle in the cup holder. If drank it may correct things. Or maybe it actually needs a full bottle in the cup holder at all times to keep it level. Perfect name for the next micro brew "G460" bottled by Gravely of course. When opened smells like fresh cut grass and sunshine! At the bottom of the bottle label below the pic of a... wait for it... 460, it would state something like "Guaranteed to Lay Some Stripes" or "Straighten your Stripes". In the commercial there would be quite a number of nice looking lasses standing around guys on Exmarks, John Deeres, Hustlers, Bad Boys, Kubotas, Scags, etc. doing their thing but when the hot red 460 pulls in the yard they all come running as the sprinkler system comes on and then...........:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Just got back from driving a 460 around the dealers lot and gravel lane. OMG!!!!!!!! I felt absolutely NOTHING. No bumps, no vibration NOTHING! Honest to god it was so smooth it was almost eerie feeling. Felt like I was floating on a cloud. I am sold. Filled out the application and they are going to run it tomorrow morning to see if I can get the 0% for 48 months.

Anybody that has not test driven a 400 series, do yourself a favor and give one a try.

GMLC
05-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Just got back from driving a 460 around the dealers lot and gravel lane. OMG!!!!!!!! I felt absolutely NOTHING. No bumps, no vibration NOTHING! Honest to god it was so smooth it was almost eerie feeling. Felt like I was floating on a cloud. I am sold. Filled out the application and they are going to run it tomorrow morning to see if I can get the 0% for 48 months.

Anybody that has not test driven a 400 series, do yourself a favor and give one a try.

Nice! I now tell everyone to not take my word for it. You have to demo a 400 series. The mower speaks for its self!
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Nice! I now tell everyone to not take my word for it. You have to demo a 400 series. The mower speaks for its self!
Posted via Mobile Device

I figured it would be pretty good but I really was not expecting it to be that smooth. The hydros also felt very smooth.

StanWilhite
05-29-2012, 08:07 PM

PS, sounds like all you needed after that ride was a washcloth and a cigarette!!! :p

ProStreetCamaro
05-29-2012, 08:36 PM
PS, sounds like all you needed after that ride was a washcloth and a cigarette!!! :p

My wife thinks my tractors sexy so I may need that after we test out the seat to see how it "works" ;o)
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
My wife thinks my tractors sexy so I may need that after we test out the seat to see how it "works" ;o)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thumbs Up:p

mtmower
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I figured it would be pretty good but I really was not expecting it to be that smooth. The hydros also felt very smooth.

Great you got to do a demo. They are amazing. And if you think it can't get any better get the optional pneumatic front tire and stick about 10-15 psi in them!

Cut my fifth property today have about 3 hrs. on her and I'm in love. I think it is more efficient then my Hustler SZs which I didn't think would be possible. I'm sorry to say to those considering it, I'd skip the Gravely OCDC though and I have a almost brand new one for sale if anyone is interested.

2ExploreTech
05-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Now that I have over 30 hours on my 452 I would like to update everyone on a few things. I'm now very comfortable with the machine.

The center of gravity is very low and the machine sticks to hills. I have shocked myself with some of things I have done. Some by purpose some not!! Traction is very good as well. I run 10-12 psi in the rear tires and the fronts are hybrid run flats which have a really good ride and do not require air. They feel to have about 8 psi to me.

Here are some pictures of my machine that I clean every Sunday and some of the hills I mow. Also just some random pics...

In these pictures the hills are minor (or at least they are viewed that way in the photos), do you have any steep hills that you mow? I see some mnts in the background.

GMLC
05-30-2012, 07:51 AM
In these pictures the hills are minor (or at least they are viewed that way in the photos), do you have any steep hills that you mow? I see some mnts in the background.

The pics dont do them any justice. My walkbehind slides a bit on the one near my truck and mulch bed. NH is all mountains so I really have no flat properties. I will try to get some better pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

How much was the bagging system? I am now thinking I may get the bagging system and a 14hp push blower. Both of these items would be strictly for fall cleanups. The bags are cloth right? Would I be able to back the mower up the trailer and have the bags hang over the front of the trailer? If not then the bagger wont work for us because we also need to be able to fit our 34Z or 36 WB on our 7X12.

Here is a pic on our trailer. I am thinking the bags can hang over the front? Or maybe lift the bags up and pull the nose of the 34Z under the bags?

GMLC
05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
How much was the bagging system? I am now thinking I may get the bagging system and a 14hp push blower. Both of these items would be strictly for fall cleanups. The bags are cloth right? Would I be able to back the mower up the trailer and have the bags hang over the front of the trailer? If not then the bagger wont work for us because we also need to be able to fit our 34Z or 36 WB on our 7X12.

Here is a pic on our trailer. I am thinking the bags can hang over the front? Or maybe lift the bags up and pull the nose of the 34Z under the bags?

Bagging system was around 2000. They are cloth and I see no reason why you couldn't hang them over. You could always take them off too.