PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my Z920a today

whaler's Mow-Town
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I finally picked my mower today after a week of haggling with the dealer to allow me to have it. I couldn't even believe he made me wait till today after it came off the truck Monday. Stoopid Hertz placed an order for 10 kubotas and my JD fell somewhere behind all that crap on their schedule until I put a boot up someones butt.

I mowed a few rather large yards with it today and I was impressed. The mulch on demand is pretty good too. Since I only got the 48" deck, the mod doesnt seem to make any kinda noticeable drag on the motor. I mowed a whole area of a large yard with the mod on (forgot to open it back up) and I saw no difference in the mow either.

I am completely stoked to be the first private LCO in Corpus Christi to rock a 900 series JD. The school district has a few 997's but them things are so big and overgrown that they just don't even seem like they are in my mowers class. Seeing they are diesels, I guess there not .

get some pics up when I take some more. Do a general review here soon also.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Awesome bro, it looks great!:)

I almost contacted you Thursday when I saw your light was on here. I got my 950 on Wed morning, and went out and mowed a couple lawns, mine included. I've been wondering when you were getting yours.
I haven't posted about it yet, since I got it al dust covered mowing the other day, then the weather turned to crap, and I haven't been able to clean it up for some pics yet.

Just an FYI. I checked my deck and it was dead level front to rear as it came. Deere recommends 1/8"- 1/4" pitch, so I pitched it down a 1/4" in front like I have done to most all my Deere mowers. It seems to cut the best, and leaves great stripes like that. I set my joysticks for my comfort for height and reach, checked and set the tire pressure which was way too inflated like they always are during shipping, and swapped in my new G6's.
Thing cuts great!

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Oh yea...I let some air outta the tires...they were like balloons. I will check my deck to see if it is level like yours, I am sure it is. I need to pick up some G6 blades and watch the grass fly. They dont stock anything beyond stock around these parts and I will have to do some importing.

I thought the John Deere sticker on the motor loudly proclaiming 23.5 hp is hilarious. Made me ride around all day dreaming, what if it really WERE a 26 hp motor LOL

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 12:42 AM
I heard that, but at least you know it's the true HP that you have now. Mine says 27 HP, where it used to say 31. Still kinda wished it said 31. May be the same engine, but the 31 sticker would have made it easier, so that I didn't have explain it to guys around here who have no idea about the change in rating systems.

My Z720 said 25. I noticed at a dealer the other day that now they say 22.5. It ran the 60" deck with no problem.

Order some G6's from this place. They seem to have very good prices on them-

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.com/cart.cgi

BTW, you may find it helpful to remove the two small baffle plates under neath the deck that are in between the two rear half circles that form the rear of the deck. It allows faster/easier discharge of the clippings, and you can put them back in for mulching leaves in the fall. It's in your Op's manual.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Its all right. I'll keep up with my maintenance real good and not give the HP another thought.....it works pretty good but if it ever blows up I'm getting a bigger motor that dont suck so muck pusholine :)

COOOOL! that place looks to be cheap enough for me :laugh: Now I just gotta figure out which ones go with my mower. More homework.

Yea I had plans on taking the baffles out tomorrow since the weather is nice and I am off. I dont worry much about really mulching stuff up as much as protecting everything and everybody from the crap my mower flings.... I got tired of paying for windows.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Nice machine? 10K?

what did you mean you haggled with the dealer to allow you to have it. Did you dicker him down or something?

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Protection, and mulching leaves in the fall are the two biggest reason I got the MOD, well that and the fact that the MOD deck seems to stripe a little better for some reason than the std deck does even.

Oregons site show 396-770 for the G6 for you machine.

Here it is at stonewall. Just cross reference the OEM number shown here against your blades to be sure it is the direct fitment-

http://www.stonewelltradingcompany.com/product.cgi?group=207095&product=207214

Jason
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Nice mower! The G6 blades Rock on it.. I love my 930a got it last year, seeing alot more deere mowers out there this year. What baffels are you talking about might have to check that out? I put the G6 blades on my 757 with the bagger and get alot more grass in it but when I have leaves I get alot of blow out and doesn't seem to suck the leaves up good.

Jimslawncareservice
03-31-2012, 09:43 AM
It's 2 little baffles ( I call them plates) on the mulch on demand decks only. Not not sure what your 930 has, the mod or std deck. They help make the grass stay in better when mulching. There is 2 setting.g for them also, or just take them out. I leave them in on my 950. I've mowed some 4ft tall crap with it too and never bothered. It's like every other mower, you have to do what makes it works best for you.

On another note, its Wierd that your dealers don't have them set up right from the get go. My Deeres always have a 1/4" pitch and 10lbs tire pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Fenders are cheap.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Nice machine? 10K?

what did you mean you haggled with the dealer to allow you to have it. Did you dicker him down or something?

Oh yes, Nice machine. 10.5 to be exact.

Every year the local dealership has a sale. Several weeks before the sale I notified the dealer what I wanted and when I would have the money. I also went to the dealership just outside the area and got a cheaper quote and a promise of first in line warranty service. I have dealt with the local dealer for over 10 years and I like almost every other LCO in town have grown sick of the parts counter and overall lack of customer service.

Just before I was going to close the deal with the dealer outside, my wife insisted I give the local dealer a chance to meet up with the lower price and give me some kinda promise on my warranty work. Well of course the local guy came down on his price, promised the warranty work would be prompt and I could have the mower as soon as it hit his store.

My mower got to his store on Monday. Failure #1 He sends my mower to his warehouse so he can clear his work area for a 10 unit order between hertz and kubota (now I really hate hertz). I didnt know it came in on Monday because he told me Wednesday previously and I didnt want to pressure him.
Wednesday I go give him the last of my money and ask him if he has seen my mower. I then get the whole story about kubota demanding he fill the hertz order.

Thursday morning I put a boot up his butt about my mower and told him he would either give me my mower or give me my cash. Said he would get to it right away and he did but that shot Thursday.

I learned my lesson and now my wife did too. Never again.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Fenders are cheap.

So are Orange mowers......thats why I chose green :rolleyes:

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Fenders are cheap.

What are you referring to? I musta missed something.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 04:58 PM
It's 2 little baffles ( I call them plates) on the mulch on demand decks only. Not not sure what your 930 has, the mod or std deck. They help make the grass stay in better when mulching. There is 2 setting.g for them also, or just take them out. I leave them in on my 950. I've mowed some 4ft tall crap with it too and never bothered. It's like every other mower, you have to do what makes it works best for you.

On another note, its Wierd that your dealers don't have them set up right from the get go. My Deeres always have a 1/4" pitch and 10lbs tire pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim, my dealer usually has them set up to what Deere recommends, but I have my own preferences, and usually tweak them a little bit to suit me. This time was different. I had a mow job that I had to do as soon as he could get me the machine, so I don't think they did anything other than check the RPM setting like I asked them to before dropping it off to me.

It turned cold the very next day after I mowed, so the grass is slowing way down on growing, and I haven't been back out to mow yet. I am eager to get out on it again though. I really liked it for the couple hours I got to use it. I filled it flush to the bottom of the filler neck, and then re-filled it to the exact same level after I finished the two cuts I did that day. 1.6 gallons used in 1.3 hours for 1.25 GPH, and it's brand new still. Not too bad at all. I hope it stays that way.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Fenders are cheap.

What are you referring to? I musta missed something.

ahh I think he mighta been referring to the fender on my trailer with the rust mites. Either way no worries. Thats my next real company expense. A new trailer. get me something a little bigger and I would say sturdier but I dont think they make them more heavy duty than the ol' pipe trailer

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
1.6 gallons used in 1.3 hours for 1.25 GPH, and it's brand new still. Not too bad at all. I hope it stays that way.

I am going to go mow the old hospital that helped me pay for the mower ummm....Tuesday I hope. I cant remember what I am mowing Monday but I know it wont be nothing like mowing a 15 acre hamster farm :)

I am gonna find out what kinda gas my mower consumes under duress :laugh: That place is no joke. took me 4 to almost 6 hours of solid mowing on my JD 7G18 wit a sulky. I am positive I will get my fill of riding my new mower on that one!

80 some odd degree day in S.Texas and everyone thought that my house was the place to be so I never got a chance to tweak on my mower but I am going to order the G6 blades now. I am not too sure about the blades you referenced to me. They dont reference across my JD parts #

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Ok.....I went back and referenced them myself and you were correct. 396-770 is what they call for my mower.

I am gonna be as anal about my mower as I am about my pinball machines here soon.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't like to admit this too much I guess, but I don't think anyone can be more anal about their stuff than I am:dizzy: I am rediculous about most of it. My blowers all get wiped down thoroughly at the end of the day, so do the trimmer engines and upper shafts. The Z gets blown off after every single use, not day, use. All this stuff costs so much these days, and it's only going higher, so I take as good care of it as I can. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-31-2012, 11:32 PM
whoo hoo! 45 bones to my door. I like that. I was paying right around 70 bucks to the local for the stock blades. I cant wait to get my G6's.

What do you use to lift your mower? I have a minor hydraulic jack but I dunno if I wanna crawl under my mower with that cheesy jack....although I do have some jack stands....hmmmm maybe I spent too much time inside today but I can prolly figure it out :laugh:

I am more of a utilitarian kinda guy. I will maintain the stuff daily and clean filters and such before they become an issue but what you say is true and everything cost more now a days. Good housekeeping and maintenance habits are not only a responsibility but its just plain smarter than the grass.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 11:49 PM
I use an automotive floor jack most of the time, then I place a jackstand under the opposite caster arm. I am thinking about using a boom pole on my CUt's three point to raise it up faster and farther though. I can lock out the three point so that it can't drop after I raise it, and I'd still place at least one jackstand under it too. I don't need a quarter ton or more crashing down on my head.:hammerhead:

I assume you wear some type of hearing protection. Make sure to have it on with the G6's. They may not be any louder in decibals than the factory high lifts, but they make a pretty good buzzing sound with those fingers ripping through the air :dizzy:LOL.

Ridin' Green
04-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Forgot to mention this-

When you get your G6's, they'll prolly have a large siver washer taped to them. If your machine came with std OEM high lifts that are .250" thick as is the norm, then just toss that washer, since the OEM high lifts and the G6's are the same thickness, and in my case at least, the exact same profile where they are arched in the center when they are laying side by side on the work bench. You should check that too, because you may need that washer to keep the cutting edges at the same height when installed as the OEM's. Prolly not, but you never know 'til you compare.

The washer is for use on machines like the Z720 I had. It came with blades that were 5/16" thick, so the 1/16" thick washer went between the blade and the bottom of the spindle to make up the difference between the OEM std lift 5/16" blades, and the G6's that measure 1/4" (.250").

whaler's Mow-Town
04-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I assume you wear some type of hearing protection. Make sure to have it on with the G6's. They may not be any louder in decibals than the factory high lifts, but they make a pretty good buzzing sound with those fingers ripping through the air :dizzy:LOL.

Ear plugs at the ready :laugh: Let the whizzing and whirring begin :dizzy:

Ridin' Green
04-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Ear plugs at the ready :laugh: Let the whizzing and whirring begin :dizzy:

... and let's not forget the excellent cutting.:laugh:

Jason
04-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks Jimslawncareservice I have the mod deck don't think I will messs with it cuts to good..
Ridin' Green where you from in Michigan if you dont mind me asking?