PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat Hydro Cooler

dahammer
03-31-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking about adding a hydro cooler to my Tiger Cat and was wandering if any of you guys have a Wildcat and could post pictures of it. The diagrams in the manuals don't show where it mounts. Does the mount attach to the frame between the seat and engine or between the engine and the fuel tank? How many mounting holes are there where it attaches to the frame? What I'm trying to figure out is if my Tiger Cat already has the mounting holes for the factory bracket or not and exactly how it mounts. I have my seat slid back beyond the factory stop, so I don't have much room between the seat and engine.

Moose's Mowing
03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
it mounts to the frame between the seat and the motor. There's 3 bolt holes. I'll try and get some pics up for you. Should be real easy to install one, getting the oil lines figured out will be your hardest part, but even then it outta be easy.

HTH

dahammer
04-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the pictures! They are a big help. The good news is my Tiger Cat already has the mounting holes drilled in the frame. But it looks like it will be a very tight fit, since I have my seat slide back beyond the factory stop. From the picture, it looks like it sits tight up against the motor. I have exactly 1 inch from the blower housing to the back of the seat on mine. From the pictures, it looks like it would just fit. I might have to move the seat forward just a tad.

As far as hooking it up goes, I've studied the exploded parts view in the manuals and it looks to just go in the return line from the left pump to the tank. So all I'd have to do is disconnect the top line from the tank (which is the return), take it to the cooler and then put a new piece of hose from the other side of the cooler to the tank. Pretty simple or so it seems. I did get some sticker shock though on the price. The cooler is $151 and the mount $92! Wow!

TruSomethingOrOther
04-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Thought it was a standard option for the auxiliary hydro cooler on the tigercat?

Mikegyver
04-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Why is a cooler needed? I have run a TC for years without it.

dahammer
04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Thought it was a standard option for the auxiliary hydro cooler on the tigercat?

It is/was on the Wildcat, but not on the Tiger Cat. Perhaps that will change if the Wildcat is discontinued.

Why is a cooler needed? I have run a TC for years without it.

I don't know that it is. There are some here that say you should add them if you're running it for extended periods of time, like 2 or 3 hours non-stop, which I'm doing.

I had a conversation with someone at Scag last year, right after I bought mine, and he felt it was unnecessary on the Tiger Cat. But then one wanders if that is the case if they are necessary on the Wildcat, which is essentially the same machine.

I'm really on the fence about adding it to mine. I checked the temperatures last year with a candy thermometer and best I recall the oil temperature was right around 205˚ after running it for a couple hours. I'm going to check it again when I get a chance and then decide. I'm probably just being OCD but if it will extend the life of the pumps/motors then the cost would be well worth it.

Mikegyver
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Our TC is 5-6 years old. Hr meter broke years ago (never replaced it one of my regrets in life LOL) at 150 hrs. Now it has to have at least 1000 hrs on it. Everything works fine! I've run a good part of a day in very hot (100+) temps.
mike