PDA

View Full Version : got a Gravely ZT 42 XL today

davezander
03-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Bought a Gravely, took delivery today. Has the Kawasaki engine. My first zero turn. Looked at a lot of them, spent hours reading on the internet.
Hope I made a good choice.Could of got the ZT for $1300 less but figured you get what you pay for, the fabricated deck on the XL looks a lot more robust and You get a little better hydraulic drive system. Mowed the lawn, a little tricky getting used to, can get away from you real easy. after about 1/2 hour i was getting better. Really makes a nice cut. Don't have a very big yard, this is really overkill for what i needed but may buy some more land some day.High grass(6" or so) doesn't even phase the engine. Seems like the Kawasaki is the most preferred engine. 1st oil change at 8 hours, doesn't say to change the filter until 200 hours, which means there is probably going to be some dirty oil left in the filter. Can't hurt to change the filter a 8 hours right?
Any tips/things to look for to keep a eye on ?
I'm a do it your seller when it comes to service.
So far I really like this machine.:rolleyes:
thanks
Dave

AWILLIAMS64
03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
i would change the oil and filter every 50 hours or at the beginning of each season after the first oil change. I am looking at the gravely zthd right now myself. I cant afford a full blown commercial, but i think the hd will do good for what i am doing right now.

davezander
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Ok, sounds good. looks like straight 30 wt. I've read not to use synthetic for awhile for break in reasons.

morgaj1
03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Depending on where you live, 10W30 may be the best oil choice. I ALWAYS change the filter with the oil. The manufacturer's recommendations on that is ridiculous to me.