PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper for bagging ,anyone use one ?

TriCountyLawn
03-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Looking at walkers,navigators etc I see that Grasshoppers have rather large collection units and dump from the seat. Ive only seen one crew use these mowers and they seem to be a good bang for the buck. And can also discharge clippings if needed. Large yes, but I hate having to dump every pass especially in leaf season. Scag seems to have the largest capacity 3-bag unit which has its merits also. Sorry for such a common themed thread as I didn't find to much searching around. Thanks!

retrodog
03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Their baggers work great, all the bank lcos use them here. While the Walker is prolly the best, the GH is much more productive.... Grasshopper is freaking huge here in our market....

JB1
03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
i think grasshopper has the best vaccum system hands down.

grassmastersLC
04-01-2012, 01:01 AM
we have to Grasshoppers with bagging systems on them. they work great in grass and leaves. they each hold i think 15 bushels and we can usually do a neighborhood yard without having to dump the hopper at all. we really like the quality of grasshopper's products

TriCountyLawn
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, With a 25 cu ft. hopper Id dump about half as much then with other baggers and way way less then with my walk behind. I also see they have some beefy tail wheel options. The only downside to dumping on the ground is having to re-load it into the trucks. I swore I would get a debris loader or have something of a ramp to dump into a truck or something. I looked at a older Hustler that was pretty close in spec with a Grasshopper except the high dump unit,however it was still what I consider low capacity. Ive seen some guys use Dixie Choppers with trac-vac trailers and make good time but they looked terribly cumbersome.

KS_Grasscutter
04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
There's probably nearly a dozen of us here in town that run Grasshoppers. Everyone uses bag catchers though so its easier to dump into a truck. The only thing I don't like about it is I have to replace bags every year and the cloth top about every year and a half. I like the exmark bagger better because it has a molded plastic top, and the bottoms of the bags are plastic.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
04-01-2012, 01:55 PM
There's probably nearly a dozen of us here in town that run Grasshoppers. Everyone uses bag catchers though so its easier to dump into a truck. The only thing I don't like about it is I have to replace bags every year and the cloth top about every year and a half. I like the exmark bagger better because it has a molded plastic top, and the bottoms of the bags are plastic.
Posted via Mobile Device

I liked the exmark bagger also. And agree the bags are way better if its going in the truck without some kind of game plan. Seemed like I was always dumping with a 60". The dixie bags were alright but the I hated the blower unit. Im sure im wrong but IME blower units that's blades run horizontally seem to work better. Hustlers older deck had a blower like that also if I remember right. They do however increase the overall width quite a bit.

unclemark
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
They are nice if you have the room to dump on your trailer then off load when the day is done. They are harder to dump into a bag directly like you can with the Walkers or Navigators, you could also dump on a tarp then shove into bags later.