PDA

View Full Version : Whats it worth (Scag)

SJR Lawncare
12-12-2002, 06:38 PM
What do you guys think a 2001 52 Scag swz fixed deck 17 Kaw with approx. 300-400 hours is worth. I am selling mine & looking to get top dollar for it considering its been very well taken care of & has very little hours on it. I just DO NOT LIKE THE CUT!! I paid $5149 for it with a Grass gobbler bagger & 1 wheeled Velkie 2 seasons ago. I am gonna convert to Exmark because alot of you guys really recommend them. I have a guy who wants it, but I will not tell how much he has offered till you guys respond.

Thanks SJR

ProLandscapes
12-12-2002, 06:44 PM
I would say $3000 if it's in really good condition.

JT

mklawnman
12-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Hummmmmm, that seems odd that it cuts bad????? I have the exact same mower as you do and I think the cut is great. All you gotta do is adjust the spacers under the mower and the front ones if need be. I wouldnt know totally on price but that sounds like a good estimate on the machine.
I love mine :)
Matt

landman
12-13-2002, 07:30 AM
$2500.00 at best, but I'll give you $2200 for it without the velke.

Shady Brook
12-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Do you have the advantage deck?

If your mind is made up that is fine, but just a couple thoughts.

Have you tried everything to change the cutting performance, ie blades, deck pitch, rake, deck height? I just hate to see you eat it for such a loss if you can improve the performance.

I purchased a 48 fixed deck exmark last year cus everybody said exmark rules. I tell ya what, it cuts pretty but has ferocious blowout. I can not contain the blowout no matter what. I will have to add a home made baffle, or sell her.

Anyway, my scag walkbehinds will cut pretty as well, but one thing I have found is deck height is critical where I live. If I try to mow 3 or above inches, it seems to lay down the grass. With doubles and just under 3", they cut real well, and discharge well also.

Just don't expect a miricle when going from one commercal mower to another. Some guys mow in enviornments that may be radically different to the ones we mow in, and therefore we can not expect the same results.

Don't take the loss unless your mind is set on it.

Take care
Jay

SJR Lawncare
12-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Jay,
I do have the advantage deck. It leaves uncut grass all the time, & the cut just looks bad. I have to go like 2 MPH just to get a decent cut. I use doubles, thinking that will correct the problem, but no. My blades are always sharp & I usually cut at 3". The guy offered me $2700 for it.

Thanks guys

grassdaddy
12-13-2002, 03:49 PM
we have the same machine and it does not cut good over 3 inches ! we try to cut every thing @ 2 3/4 inches with it . we do love the scag , cranks great every time , great on gas and we have
a good dealer to give us help when needed .it is built like a tank !
my buddy has an ex-mark that does the same thing .i would not take the loss . too much money invested and too much money to
lose ! :blob4:

Jimbo
12-13-2002, 04:20 PM
First off I should answer your question. $2700-$3500.00 depending on how it looks and runs. Some peoples excellent is not the same os others.

Second, about the cut.

I have a 52" Scag Tiger Cub and I can tell you that running high lifts, and high lift gators in tall grass 3.5" or over and the cut is bad. If you put on regular blades or lower the deck and the cut is great.

Doubles? I dont doubt for a minute you are having problems (Too much turbulance under the deck). Did you try adjusting the front deck baffle to the lowest position? If not try that before you sell.

Jim

TLS
12-13-2002, 04:27 PM
SJR,

What RPM's are you running?

The higher your cut the worse any mower cuts. But 3" it should cut real nice at all but the higher speeds. 52's have a nicer cut than a comparable 48". Although everyone talks about how GOOD eXmarks cut is, to just trade in an otherwise new mower just cause your not 100% happy with how you think its cut would compare to another mower is just.... :dizzy:

You have a LOT of choices with SCAGS. Lots of different blade types/designs, lots of different adjustable positions under the spindle, etc.

Check those RPM's (~3700) and try some nice solid foil fully sharpened highlift blades.

Good Luck!

lawnkid
12-13-2002, 04:41 PM
I agree with all of the guys who support the Scag.

SJR LawnCare,
I have the same mower as you too with only a 14hp Kaw. I had the same problem like you but I kept adjusting and now it cuts and stripes excellent at any height. You just have to keep playing with those spacers and the cut will be fine. The reason why most guys say the Exmark is good is because the spacers are prbabbly adjusted perfect. In my opinion, Exmark is no better than a Scag mower. You just have to keep adjusting. And another thing in my opinion, doubles don't really do much more than regular sharp OEM blades do. I've tried doubles and am not too impressed in the difference because I didn't see one. Oh Well, if it were me, I would keep playing with those spacers because would you rather spend aanother $2000 again to get another new mower when all you have to do is adjust. I bet you could get another 1500 hours or so out of that mower. It's just not worth it I don't think. It's your call though so... Do what's best for you. Peace

SJR Lawncare
12-13-2002, 06:05 PM
Thanks so much guys, Maybe I will try some different blade/spacer configurations.

LawnKid, How do you have the spacers set up on yours?

TLS, I do not have a tach on this mower, & I know that I should.....I think I will keep it & try some more setups blade/spacer wise & install a tiny tach Thanks

Shadybrook, Jimbo & grassdaddy You guys are right, I should not jump the gun & sell it before trying other ways

MKLawnman, How are you adjusting your spacers?

Again, Thanks alot!
Steve

mklawnman
12-13-2002, 06:21 PM
I have the spacers set to like one above the spindle and i think four or three below. It all depends on what type of terrian you mow on, keep playing around till it doesnt scalp anymore or it starts cutting grass at a good height.
Matt

Shady Brook
12-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Steve

Glad to hear your going to give it another try. Like was mentoned, the 52 seems to cut better then the 48, I think you will be able to come up with a configuration that works well for ya.

Some blades you may give a shot are the highlift offset. I got mine from J Thomas I believe, under the section for a bobcat mower. PJ suggested them, and they work nice in my opinion. The drop the blades down a half an inch, allowing you to get more space between the blade and the deck. There are advantages, and disadvantages with this though. You may be better off with standard blades, drawing the blades up closer to the deck, and dropping the deck closer to the ground giving you more vaccum to get a cleaner cut. You will be less likely to scalp as well. Just play around. Oh, what lawnkid said may be very valid, there is a alot of turbulance, and you may be experiencing some blowdown.

What type of grass are you cutting? Is it thick or thin, fescue maybe. That thin fescue is awful to cut, and the more sparse the grass, the easier it is to have blowdown, and poor vaccum.

Just some thoughts
Have fun
Jay

PR0 TURF
12-13-2002, 08:01 PM
I got $3000 in April for a 1999 SCAG 48" with a catcher & velke...the mower had 250 hours. Consider holding out & waiting till Spring time to sell if at all possible so the demand for it will be much higher & you can really get top dollar.

GrassCtr
12-15-2002, 04:23 AM
Scag sucks. Look into a Hustler or Exmark for a real mower! The Super Z rules!!

longviewlawncare
12-15-2002, 06:41 AM
i think scag came out with a baffle to help with the quality of cut. It lowered the front edge of the deck. I forgot where i heard this but look into it.

TaylorLawn
12-15-2002, 08:26 AM
Im glad to see a little support for the SCAG, I believe every manufacturer has it's pros and cons, and I totally agree that some machines fair better in different climates, I had considered making a switch and purchasing exmark next season, but to be honest, there have been no complaints about the quality of the cuts, and I believe that SGAG makes a tough, durable machine.

I am certainly not going to slam a brand that I have not used, so I take each post as a little education and then test out brands to see what works for me. I have had no down time this year as a result of SCAG failure, but anyone of us can attribute that to proper use, PM, and care for our equipment.........