PDA

View Full Version : Lock seized on xtreme trimmer rack, can't get my trimmers off!

Jason Rose
03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Need help ASAP, I'm behind and my lock on the rack decided to bind up and won't pop open. I've tried to lube it to death with WD-40 which isn't helping at all. Tried my spare key, no go. The lock is IN the rack so I can't just cut it off. I'm in trouble here!

Can I drill out the lock? DO I drill into the key hole with a 3/8" or so bit, that's about as big around as the whole key assembly? Will that make it pop open??

2ExploreTech
03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I can't help you directly besides what you may already know...

1) Call a locksmith -- they may have some specialized tool. I'm guessing $40-$70 a call.

2) You won't like this one, so only do this as a LAST resort -- dismantle the rack ; cut the hinges or cut a hole in the cage. -- this is destructive, I know. Again make this the last option if all else fails.

I would fiddle with lock or use option #1. Then after work replace lock with something better!

Not sure about the drilling as many of the padlocks are built to be tamper resistant... but I could easily be wrong there.

Jason Rose
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
I ended up being able to drill the guts out of it myself with a 3/8" bit. Thankfully that let it pop open! Now to find a replacement sometime that's the exact size needed to fit in that hole...
Posted via Mobile Device

HPSInc
03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
this was a main concern of mine when looking at this rack. i could see after years the lock giving me trouble. i always have back luck with locks too. i would run a protective cover over the lock to protect from weather. i would contact the maker of the rack and see what they recommend doing.

Landscraper1
03-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Happened to my Trimmer Trap. Easily cut the padlock and purchased a new padlock. Done.

SSinister06
03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
same thing happened to me fortunately i screwed with it long enough to get it with the key then I trashed it and bought new locks... same thing happened to the lock that holds the blower but I was able to cut that one off!! The greentouch locks are junk, if you go to a westlake or sutherlands the locks are #2 masterlocks I bought a set off 4 so all are keyed the same!! good luck

2ExploreTech
03-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Always good to know how fast & easily one can get through a padlock.

As the saying goes -- "They are only meant to keep the Honest people out"

Tizzy
03-31-2012, 03:14 PM
the lock on them is removable. its a good idea to pull it out every year and grease it up. only takes like 5 minutes. also shoot PB blaster into the key hole every once and a while.

Jason Rose
03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah I've kept it lubed up over the past few years and its always worked just as smooth as can be. Worked perfectly smooth and the previous stop too! Weird that it wasn't acting up before it decided it was done! Oh well, problem solved and now I'll probably replace it on a schedule, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-31-2012, 04:13 PM
As high as your post count is Jason I would think you would know about fluid film.

Jason Rose
03-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah I use it and have long enough to know to NOT use it on locks. It makes dirt stick and can ruin a lock! Been there, done that!
Posted via Mobile Device