PDA

View Full Version : Seed after Scotts crabgrass preventer

stebs
03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
My dad recently put down scotts turfbuilder fertilizer with crabgrass preventer in it. However, I am needing to reseed the lawn. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give the seed a fighting chance against the crabgrass preventer. I have access to a tine dethatcher, spike aerator, and a slitseeder.

MarkSupply
03-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Wait till fall......

stebs
04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
I was afraid of that...

Teach123
04-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree with MarkSupply. Fall is by far the best time to do it...gives those roots a chance to grpw before hot weather comes in summer. Next time if you want to seed in Spring, put a tarp or the like over the sections you are seeding. I have done this the ONE time I Spring seeded. Otherwise, wait till Fall.

Smallaxe
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with MarkSupply. Fall is by far the best time to do it...gives those roots a chance to grpw before hot weather comes in summer. Next time if you want to seed in Spring, put a tarp or the like over the sections you are seeding. I have done this the ONE time I Spring seeded. Otherwise, wait till Fall.

How does the tarp relate to the CG Preventer question???

Teach123
04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Tarp...If there are small spots to seed I cover them with a tarp or cardboard when applying the pre-E. The soil doesn't have contact with the pre-E. Again, not ideal..but it works.

Smallaxe
04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Tarp...If there are small spots to seed I cover them with a tarp or cardboard when applying the pre-E. The soil doesn't have contact with the pre-E. Again, not ideal..but it works.

Good idea, nonetheless...

RigglePLC
04-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Sometimes perennial rye grass will punch right through the crabgrass barrier. You can improve your chances if you prep the soil by heavy raking, power rake, slit seeder, or adding topsoil or compost. Double seed followed by double aeration would be quickest. True, you may cut some seeds in half...but...most of the core dirt ends up on top of the seed. You can always drag the cores to incorporate the seed of course.

This is an experiment I would like to try. Let us know what happens.

Edge II has large seeds that come up in 4 to 6 days. Dark green and disease resistant.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=edge%20ii%20pernnial%20%20rye&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pickseed.com%2Fusa%2FProducts%2FPDF%2Fedge_II_ts.pdf&ei=-HF4T5XRIcjAgQfwqsCYAw&usg=AFQjCNEyEVT2zyCY8lEP8xgrd90nm3Vu-g&cad=rja