PDA

View Full Version : Advice on creeping types of weeds

JFGauvreau
03-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Need info and tips on how to reduce the amount of creeping charlie, clover and also those "wild strawberries" plant that are on my customers lawn.

Any good way to eliminate them? They don't take long before they completely over take a lawn and after that it is very hard for the grass to compete with.

mikesturf
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
My favorite it T-Zone by PBI Gordon.

Dave Stuart
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Need info and tips on how to reduce the amount of creeping charlie, clover and also those "wild strawberries" plant that are on my customers lawn.

Any good way to eliminate them? They don't take long before they completely over take a lawn and after that it is very hard for the grass to compete with.

Creeping Charlie - tryclopyr ester at 1 pt/acre temps under 70
Clover - a legume plant/ Fluroxypr, tryclopyr blended with dicamba/24D at 2.66 pt/acre.

RigglePLC
03-31-2012, 10:03 PM
But you are in Ontario--very green--no herbicides permitted. SOL...unless you can mow it short and sod over top with a tight aggressive-type sod. Or aggressive tight seed...if you have plenty of time for it to take hold.

Michigan tests show that tall mowing and high fertility levels reduce weed competition.

Dave Stuart
03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
But you are in Ontario--very green--no herbicides permitted. SOL...unless you can mow it short and sod over top with a tight aggressive-type sod. Or aggressive tight seed...if you have plenty of time for it to take hold.

Michigan tests show that tall mowing and high fertility levels reduce weed competition.

Good catch riggle I did not take notice he does business in Canada.
Thanks.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Canada against those weeds = no chance in heck:)

JFGauvreau
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Ya thanks to our government for that... Only 2 province are banned from using those chemicals.

I was planning on cutting the clover/charlie really low with a lawn mower, maybe even pass with a dethatcher to cause even more damage. Then will add top soil on top and add seeds, hopefully it will eliminate this problem.

JFGauvreau
04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Anyone ever use Borax to treat ground ivy/ creeping charlie?

found this on the internet, never tried it tho.

"Borax Solution for Creeping Charlie Control:

Dissolve 10 oz. Twenty Mule Team Borax in 4 oz. (½ cup) warm water.
Dilute in 2.5 gallons of water.

This will cover 1,000 square feet. If you have a smaller area to treat, cut the "recipe" accordingly."

Dave Stuart
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Might work bud, give it a try.

Acetic acid ( vinegar ) at 4 to 1 ratio with water & sea salt.

I have used this.

Good luck.