PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FX1000V questions

bigsnowdog
03-31-2012, 06:25 PM
In August of 2008 I purchased a Ferris 3100 with a Kawasaki 37 HP engine, model FX1000V. I was looking at the Ferris website and discovered they no longer list it. I phoned the dealer and they said there had been some problems with them, specifically fuel injection and valves. I have a carburetor, so I don't care about the fuel injection, but do care about the valves.

He said he would see if there were any upgrades my serial number would qualify for. Ignoring that, I don't want the engine to fail, as it would be expensive to replace. I found some posts here suggesting that they fail around 400 hours, or at least to two mentioned did. I am at 115 hours.

The dealer said that Kawasaki was replacing heads, valves, and in some cases cams on engines, depending on serial numbers. I think I am the first of these engines this dealer sold, and it was pretty early in the availability of it.

If they [Kawasaki] won't do anything, I consider maybe I should buy all the new parts [head and valves] and put them on to avoid catastrophic failure. I don't know what a replacement for this engine would cost, but I am sure it is substantial.

The only odd symptom I have had is that occasionally I start it and it blows smoke for a while like the valve guides are bad. But, most of the time, it does not do that.

What is current thinking on this engine in its presently marketed form? What advice would you have? It is a great machine and I would like to take care of it so it lasts a long time.

I did buy into the extended warranty Kawasaki was offering at the time, which required you use their oil. I bought several cases of it and have been using it exclusively, as required by the warranty.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
I believe they have all the valve and cam issues squared away now. The issues caused them a lott of headaches, and the two BB engines 34/37 suffered a blow to their reps that they may not have overcome if it weren't for the change in HP rating system that most engine manu's are going to.

If you aren't familiar with the change in rating system, the old 34 Kawi is now their 31 HP, and the 37 is now their 35 HP, so that change alone may help those two models survive the bad rep they got (and deservedly so) before the recall and redesign.

bigsnowdog
03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
I believe they have all the valve and cam issues squared away now. The issues caused them a lott of headaches, and the two BB engines 34/37 suffered a blow to their reps that they may not have overcome if it weren't for the change in HP rating system that most engine manu's are going to.

If you aren't familiar with the change in rating system, the old 34 Kawi is now their 31 HP, and the 37 is now their 35 HP, so that change alone may help those two models survive the bad rep they got (and deservedly so) before the recall and redesign.

Does it seem likely to you that I could get upgrades from Kawasaki to resolve my situation?

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what the status is now, but I know there was some sort of recall or service note issued on those engines. I'd call Monday to your dealer and ask if that's still in effect for any engines that were built during the problem time frame. Even if the recall is no longer going on, and I'd have to guess here, but it seems likely that Kawi will help you out somehow if you ever did have trouble. I have no idea if they'd do anything for you to prevent a failure ahead of time. Maybe one of the guys here who had one of those engines will see this and offer some info to help you out.

bigsnowdog
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Thank you.

I have to say, it worries me to wait until a failure occurs, and possibly learn they would do nothing.

Ridin' Green
03-31-2012, 07:29 PM
You're not alone. I am the same way. I don't like anything hanging over my head:nono:. I have to get it all taken care of ASAP.:usflag:

luckylawnboy
03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
My deere 970 had the heads and cam replaced this winter with no symptoms at all. Deere dealer called me and told me about the update. Only draw back is the mower is drinking fuel at 3g/hr. it 2010

ashgrove landscaping
04-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Well if the Kawi doesn't work out for you I have a Briggs vanguard 32 that would fit perfectly and solve all your problems. It has 5 hours on it. Pm me for price and more details if you re interested.
Posted via Mobile Device