PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Gatorline...any experience?

K&L Landscaping
03-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Looks like Oregon has released a new trimmer line called Platinum Gatorline. It's a twisted line and I'm wondering if anyone has used this particular line yet?

I have used .095 STIHL X-line for the last two seasons and have been happy. However, the most recent 5 lb. roll I bought seems to be waayy more brittle than the prevoius spools. I even soaked these rolls overnight in a bucket and this line is still brittle. Usually, we will go through about 10 lbs. of line annually but we have already put a good sized dent in this roll. Wonder if STIHL changed the manufacturing specs?

Anyway...any opinions regarding the Platinum Gatorline?

Tizzy
03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
i have not used the platinum. but i have used the regular .095 gatorline. i love it. i used to run stihl line and i would burn 5 plus lbs per year. i went to the gatorline last year and i didnt even use 1/8 of a 5# spool the entire season. ive said it in other threads i will probobly get 5 seasons out of the 5# gatorline spool. so if platinum gatorline is better i would say go for it

1whitetail
03-31-2012, 07:30 PM
I haven't tried the Platinum but I don't think it last longer than the regular Gatorline. It is just suppose to cut better since it is twisted.

Green Machine Mowing
03-31-2012, 09:44 PM
It is suppose to be tougher then the Magnum Gator line, and ~$5 more for a 5# roll. I have a little trial package I will run when the grass needs to be cut around here.

Jason Rose
03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I got a trial spool too and have been using it the last couple days. At first I thought it was awesome! But then after working around more chain link and concrete I found it doesn't hold up any better, if not a tad worse than the echo crossfire I've been using. It does cut nice in nice grass though and seems to stay flying in a straight line well, no waver. (Yes I've had some line that would "wobble" up and down and drove me nuts!) I've used some other twisted line before, black stuff, don't recall if that's oregon or not, anyway I like it but its weird to use because it makes almost no noise! Hard to tell how much line is out even, lol
Posted via Mobile Device