PDA

View Full Version : Stories about your compititon(other LCO's)

williams lcm
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
What are your stories about your local lawn guys that intimidate you or just piss you off? We have a guy around here that has a blacked out ford f350 diesel with dark tint. He always reves his motor load when he goes by. He never waves but likes to show off. We had this one big guy(Owner) LCO that used his large size to scare littler lawn guys from doing work in the neighborhood. When I am home another LCO that does a few lawns by my house always has his diesel cranked up when he drives by my house. He has no muffler on his truck so u know when he is driving by. We have guys that race each other at lights with there big bad diesel trucks. It is just friendly compitition to me. I always wave to everybody. I just want to hear the stories?

1whitetail
03-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Not my personal experience but I have heard of LCO's leaving door knob hangers while the lawns were being mowed by the current LCO. :gunsfirin

ShooterK2
03-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=316063

hi_speedreed
03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
I was doing a job in this subdivision and this guy on a 100 series John Deere rolls by totin his little wagon behind with a curved shaft trimmer and a jug of water. I smiled and waved, he glared, lol. Guess I was movin in on his turf. I talk shop with guys when I see them at gas stations or out on a job. I don't hang out and have beers with any but I'm not against it either.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-31-2012, 10:04 PM
personally I pretty much ignore my competition all together. except for a few friends in the business I've made. I don't give them a second thought.

White Gardens
03-31-2012, 10:27 PM
personally I pretty much ignore my competition all together. except for a few friends in the business I've made. I don't give them a second thought.

Same here. I figure if I'm paying attention to the competition or worried about anything the are doing.

Only story I really have is I just picked up an account from a member of my BNI group. The guy that was mowing it was also a member of another chapter and previously a member of the group I am in.

Needless to say, the company was tired of him mowing their property and two of the three partners wanted to make a change.

So they called me in to give a quote. Ultimately they told me his price per cut, and I was almost 10 bucks more a mow. When he found out he lost the account, he flipped his lid, told them he was taking them to court, and pretty much has talked a bunch of crap about me around town.

Funny thing is though, this guy already has a crappy reputation, so it's no skin of my teeth.

Turf Commando
03-31-2012, 10:40 PM
It's very simple worry about yourself. If I worried about every lawn guy I'd have a mental breakdown....
Posted via Mobile Device

Ducke
03-31-2012, 10:45 PM
*bump* *bump*

Ducke
03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I got a local LCO that the owner has perfect hair
no matter what his hair is always perfect.
God I hate him. :hammerhead:

Mowerboy04
04-01-2012, 12:58 AM
there are a few compaines by me that do really shotty work, and it seems like i see them working everywhere!!! I also know they charge atleast what i do or more! I dont understand how they keep there customers... i mean for the same price these people are paying for shotty work, they could have a company like mine that will do a fantastic job.

"sorry for the bad spelling an grammer it wasa long day and im beat"

TriCityLawnCareLLC
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
First- I sometimes get a quick SHOCK when I see new LCO's (apart from the regulars) then i realize that I have plenty of business and my reputation keep growing (positively). So I usually only worry about it for a couple minutes then it goes away.

second-I wave to other companies around and most of then wave back. I get a couple who absolutely refuse to wave. It's not my fault they did shooty work and I picked up their customers (I picked up two different customers last year, each had a different company mowing their lawns).

third- they only story i really have is actually from this season. It kinda made me a bit bitter for a second, but i got over it. A community that i have about 4 houses in (nice area), last year a lady called me three different times to mow because her neighbor (who is unemployed) isn't dependable. Well, after service agreements are signed and set to go, i get a call from a long-time customer in this same neighborhood saying that her neighbor (same unemployed guy) came asking to mow her lawn. Not only hers but the other ones in this neighborhood. Well i lost two accounts to this dude. I think the thing that bugs me, is he targeted (or a least i think he did) my customers specifically. Well, i've seen his work and needless to say both customers dropped him, apologized to me and re-signed on with me after the first mow form this guy.

I'm grateful i got the work back, and i understand that unemployed need work too, but like i said, it bugged me how he went about it.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
I laugh alot when see one doing something dumb Like edging with a trimmer or skipping trimming step or driving off and the parking lot is green still
People Spraying in 20 mph winds and you can see the spray drifting
Only notice when I'm driving by
The latest one is this kid mowing with a scag cheetah 2 speed in high gear plus with deck all the way up Yes stripe nice but he didn't cut much but flatten the grass down with roller stripier
One these days Im going ask him to slow down To see what he has to say

THEGOLDPRO
04-01-2012, 02:49 AM
I only worry about myself.

brianslawncare
04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
i wave to some some wave back, some dont, some give me the finger. but i figure if someone is broke down and needs a hand i would help i still have a heart. pricing in my area is a little crazy lowballing, but they will relize quickly. i have made some friends in the biz over 20yrs and we do have a few drinks now and then. one friend had a competior follow him on his route and the next day went back and got some of his customers at a much lower price. i told him to go back at night and put a nice piece of steel pipe sticking up in the ground about a inch or two. two can play that game.

Florida Gardener
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I only worry about myself.

X2
Posted via Mobile Device

LCCaptain
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Around here (I'm sure like most areas) it's pretty cut throat. Most of my competition are alcoholics or drug addicts working for cheap. I do however donate my services at my local honor roll and I had one of my competitors place a yard sign next to mine. That pissed me off. Other that that it's the same ol' under bidding for beer money or LCO workers snorting pills on the property when you stop by to talk to them.

Mowingkid35
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I have three companies in my area. Two of them I know very well, have a few beers here and there with them and occasionaly go out together on a friday night, but one guy around here wont give ya nothing, no hello, wave nada. Dont know whats up his a** but who cares. Just baffles me because we only service about 40 accounts in this area and i know he mows much more than that around here. Dont know whats wrong with competition, its what keeps all of us in business.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
04-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm actually partners with one of the other LCO's (I only have 10 yards). He has his own business and I have mine but we cut yards yards together lol
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Usually what I get is the big long stare when they see me because my lawns look about twice as nice and my mower is as big as their truck hahaha one time a wife of a owner of a dying company now that their dad died met me in a parking lot when I pulled up in my truck. She never heard of my company so we had a nice chat. When I was small I had a few chats with other companies who were giving me advice. Then I had one company in the Jackson area about crashed into me head on in a tunnel.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkie62
04-02-2012, 12:34 AM
The way I look at it is if you are worried about your competition,you have doubts about your own work.It is just like any other business.If there is a reputable person out there word of mouth will be the best advertisement.There are underpriced trades wherever you look,but only the strong survive.

Flatop
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
My next door neighbor hired a lawn care guy 2 days ago. He shows up in a 4 door sedan with a residential mower, electric weed eater and a manual edger. It took this LCO 4-5 hours while wearing a mask over his mouth to do the job (disappeared for 1 hour for lunch or maybe get some tools/parts) I really felt sorry for this LCO. When he was done the edging was nonexistent, trimming was bad, and the lawn was scalped in a lot of areas. (All this I can see from the front yard only.) I went to the neighbor and asked for the number for the lawn guy. I called and he came yesterday. I gave him one of my old straight trimmer and gave him a few pointers regarding mowing. I told him if he ever needed help or advice to contact me. Everyone needs a little help and hopefully this young LCO will learn, grow and maybe one day return the favor to someone else.

Valk
04-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I laugh alot when see one doing something dumb Like edging with a trimmer...

Seriously?? Gosh, the nerve of some of these hacks. :laugh:

weeze
04-09-2012, 01:23 AM
i wave at all of them i pass on the road. i don't see them as competition because they aren't. they have their yards and i have mine. i don't go trying to steal their yards and they don't do that to me either. there's plenty of work out there for all of us. i don't know any of them personally and i've never talked to any of them either. i just stick to myself and let them do their thing.

Turf Commando
04-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Competitor is someone on your level, "many cut grass few maintain a lawn"
Posted via Mobile Device

XYZLawnPros
04-23-2012, 03:02 AM
My next door neighbor hired a lawn care guy 2 days ago. He shows up in a 4 door sedan with a residential mower, electric weed eater and a manual edger. It took this LCO 4-5 hours while wearing a mask over his mouth to do the job (disappeared for 1 hour for lunch or maybe get some tools/parts) I really felt sorry for this LCO. When he was done the edging was nonexistent, trimming was bad, and the lawn was scalped in a lot of areas. (All this I can see from the front yard only.) I went to the neighbor and asked for the number for the lawn guy. I called and he came yesterday. I gave him one of my old straight trimmer and gave him a few pointers regarding mowing. I told him if he ever needed help or advice to contact me. Everyone needs a little help and hopefully this young LCO will learn, grow and maybe one day return the favor to someone else.

AH a diamond in the rough! Finally a gentleman on LS with some compassion
and empathy left in his soul. Good for you man! I have a great story for you
Flatop if you private message me.

For the original poster, as most of the logical replies here state that you should
really keep an eye out on your own business is 100% correct. Wouldn't want
to get indigestion would you?