PDA

View Full Version : Sex of dog plays a factor when it comes to urine turf damage

kirkmbrown2001
03-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Believe it or not, I think there is some truth to what this guy is saying!

All dogs’ urine contains salts and nitrogen that can kill the grass. But it is the way dogs deposit their urine on a lawn that determines the extent of the injury. Dogs that squat to urinate deposit a large volume of urine in a small spot and cause more severe damage than dogs that raise their legs when urinating. Generally speaking, female dogs and young dogs of both sexes squat to urinate. Older male dogs raise their leg, spreading urine to a larger area. Male dogs are also more territorial and do more “marking” than female dogs, and so they tend to urinate small amounts in a number of different locations. Thus, dogs that are young, large, or female often do more damage than ones that are old, small, or male.

Article: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8255.pdf

What do you guys think?

grandview (2006)
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Females have more acid in it.

Smallaxe
04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
And,,, Dogs with nervous bladders squirt more often and less volume, but the real issue is: what's to be done about it... :)

bigslick7878
04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Believe it or not, I think there is some truth to what this guy is saying!

Article: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8255.pdf

What do you guys think?

I think he has been reading my posts recently.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=372903

I have found that male dogs are MUCH less damaging to the lawn than females. Had a female for 13 years, lawn looked like **** in that "area". They always squat...on the lawn every single time.

Have a male now, and he just pisses on vertical objects in the yard and keeps the lawn pissing to a minimum. Whether it be the fence, or the support post holding up my roof over the patio is is hardly ever on the lawn.

THIESSENS TLC
04-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Females have more acid in it.

i had a male lab and it never burned the grass, my dad has a female and it used to burn the grass...until he trained it to wait for a walk.

kirkmbrown2001
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I think he has been reading my posts recently.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=372903

I am sorry bigslick, I honestly never saw your post. I normally stay in the business management and website section of lawnsite and rarely stray out of those sections. I apologize if I came across as stealing your content. Just found this article on the internet and thought it was interesting. :)

Teach123
04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I read where there is NO difference between the amount of N (Urea) in Male and Female urine. Someone above was correct when they said it is all about how dogs urinate. Because female dogs squat instead of spraying on trees, the N goes straight to the soil.

Here is what we do at my house that has 2 female dogs. It's kinda a pain, but we still have a gorgeous lawn. We dilute the urine with water from a house after the dogs urinate. They usually go in the same area, so we just nail those spots with water right after they go. It seems like a lot of work, but in the grand scheme of things being a dog owner can be a lot of work and doing this doesn't add to much to our plate.

Just a suggestion, but it works wonders.

mpiccoli
04-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I have had both a male and a female dog that lived in my house, and the female did much more damage to the lawn then our male did. It also makes the lawn greener in spots where the male pisses.

Lawn132012
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Just had this conersation with a woman that has three labs. 92 females and one male) and she asked this very same question. I never had a female dog so can not say but I never had any problems with young or old dogs. But they have a lot of room to run and spread out the urine. But I had heard Female dogs were really bad with grass.

sawman1.75th
04-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Female dog urine being more acidic than a males urine is a common misconception...there is absolutely no difference what so ever. In fact my male leaves dead spots while my female doesn't.

Think Green
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
I have read bogus articles that state where a dog placed on a special diet, will not cause as much damage per say as a normal dog eating ole roy. Totally false, as my vet clinic I service tells me that hormones, diet, sex, has nothing to do with the problem. Pets that do hold their urine for long times seem to have stronger urine as in humans after waking up from sleep. Dogs that are getting older will have complications and may cause staining from medication and or poor diets. Both male and female dogs will follow one another around and urinate on top of the others to mask or dominate that scent. Male dogs cause more damage to small shrubs, trees, metal, and house siding than females--of course. The female does deposit more acid in a smaller contained area than the male from hiking his leg. The real culprit is the continual urination in the same spots that cause the saline deposits to build up. Harder soils like clay and clay loam do hold the salts more readily as say.......sand, sand loam soils. I like to think that those customers with irrigation will not have as many highly visible spots as to someone whom doesn't water as often. To me, this is no more different as applying liquid fertilizer at high doses on dry grass with no watering it in afterwards. Same as granular fertilizing and hitting a divot hole and spilling onto an area. Watering will flush out the concentration and may cause a slight burn with a darker, faster growing outer ring of turfgrass.

Trees Too
11-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Pee patterns. Female dog squat on the ground, and burn the turf. Male dogs lift their legs and damage shrubs!!!:dizzy: