PDA

View Full Version : my new toro 6000

themadcutter
03-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Cost me $9500 plus tax. it is the 6000 series with the 25hp kaw. I decided not to go with the kohler efi. I think that was a 27 hp. I didn't like the idea of fuel injection on my mower. seemed nice but thought it could also give me problems.

This thing is pretty fast. Moves much faster than I would bother to mow at. I can run it at 3/4 throttle and still be able to cut as well as my old 44 exmark is cutting. Love the deck. it seems like its really built heavy. I'm not sure about the tires. they seem a little small for this tank but it moves well. I really like the adjustable baffle. I have a few lawns that i mulch and that will work good for me there.

I can't find any real flaw with it so far but it has really only done some test mowing. it goes into real action on monday. The problem with it being built well (at least from what I can see as far as quality work goes) it that it seems to weigh about 4 tons. Thats the trade off for a stocky mower until they start using titanium but these things are way to expensive already. some one is making a fortune on these mowers and it isn't the guy's driving them.

ahttp://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=244241&stc=1&d=1333236583http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=244242&stc=1&d=1333236729

themadcutter
03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Well I am a little shocked that this garnered no response what so ever. :cry:

Boo hoo for me.

THEGOLDPRO
03-31-2012, 11:50 PM
You should have went with the efi.

knox gsl
04-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Sure looks like the back of an exmark.

THEGOLDPRO
04-01-2012, 12:11 AM

Yea its pretty much looks like a clone from what i can see minus the crappy turbo force deck. And the big plastic things over the fenders.

Ridin' Green
04-01-2012, 12:13 AM

.....and the side, and the front.......LOL. At least those things over the fenders have some use. The new Exmarls look way cheap to me compared to the older version.

OP, why do you think the tires are too small? They are the same size every major mower uses outside of the behemoth diesels.

Lawnut101
04-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Sweet deal! Is that a 60" deck?

themadcutter
04-01-2012, 08:36 AM

.....and the side, and the front.......LOL. At least those things over the fenders have some use. The new Exmarls look way cheap to me compared to the older version.

OP, why do you think the tires are too small? They are the same size every major mower uses outside of the behemoth diesels.

Sweet deal! Is that a 60" deck?

Its the 60" deck. I thought of the 52 but I have a 44 and I figured if I was going to have 2 mowers I wanted more difference in the sizes.

They have looked like exmarks for years now. From what I understand toro owns exmark.

I'm not sure if anyone thinks this deck looks crappy but I compared it to a scag and an exmark and this dick is better than both.

The tires on my older exmark are taller. Thats where I got the idea they were a little small.

chesterlawn
04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
The what is better than both?:laugh:

MTenterprises
04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Nice buy man. I like it. You will enjoy it.

themadcutter
04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
The what is better than both?:laugh:

I can't believe I typed that.
Posted via Mobile Device

themadcutter
04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
The deck is better on my 6000. It may have balls
But there's no dick
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
04-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Yea, I picked one up too. last week, I paid more than that though......I'm NOt too happy about haveing to go with a TORO....... I'm an eXmark man...

I really feel as if the toro's are all show........ too much like waht a kid would have rather than a man..

O Well

Lawnut101
04-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Do you have enough power with that size deck? How much gas is it using per hour? I may pick one up too...

rickpilgrim
04-02-2012, 01:22 AM
FYI- Toro owns Exmark, they bought Ex as they needed a mid mount Z mower back then and rather than "up engineer" a residential mower they went to the company that had a market and bought it up. Check the Toro website on the timeline link.
Now watch and see, Ex will be absorbed in to Toro and you can see it allready as the Toro Z gets better and the Exmark looks weaker.
Thats a nice Toro Z you have but I would rather have the more hp and torque of the EFI motor and the increased economy seeing fuel went to 4.03/gal here.

themadcutter
04-02-2012, 08:21 AM
FYI- Toro owns Exmark, they bought Ex as they needed a mid mount Z mower back then and rather than "up engineer" a residential mower they went to the company that had a market and bought it up. Check the Toro website on the timeline link.
Now watch and see, Ex will be absorbed in to Toro and you can see it allready as the Toro Z gets better and the Exmark looks weaker.
Thats a nice Toro Z you have but I would rather have the more hp and torque of the EFI motor and the increased economy seeing fuel went to 4.03/gal here.

I went back and forth on the efi. And I still am. Who doesn't want a larger motor even though I don't really need it but the fuel efficiency was a big draw in my mind. The drawback to me is that I bet it would be expensive to fix if something went wrong so I ultimately went with the good old reliable carburetor. there was also an $800 difference in price and I would have had to wait at least a month for another efi machine t get to my dealer.

But 90% of my decision was based on me not trusting the efi tech.

rickpilgrim
04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
You are right to go with carb just based on the wait to get an efi machine. It's crazy to wait a month for a machine in 2012.
I say that as there are 2 Toro factories within a 2 1/2 drive from me and have been to both. The new machines come off the line at about 2 every 3 minutes, are crated up and most are loaded on waiting trucks.
You know, we've been driving efi in our trucks since 1987 or so and the Kohler and Kawasaki systems are based off that in a smaller scale. It is a reliable system and unfortunately 2 yrs ago our Hustler Rep(Blain) said get used to it as emmissions standards are coming to lawnmowers.
You have a very nice machine that will serve you well-Enjoy it!

StihlBR600
04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
There is no difference between the Exmark and the Toro they are exactly the same major components...such as the engines and hydro systems and frames. The two main differences between them are that Toro 6000 has cast iron spindle housing that are greasable where the Exmark X series have aluminum NON greasable spindles. And the Toro has the Turbo force deck where the Exmark has the Series 6 deck. The Turbo force deck is obviously built a lot tougher, you can tell just by looking at it. They use 7 gauge steel for the entire deck where Exmark only uses 7 gauge around the spindle mounting area and for the front of the deck. The Turbo Force deck also has the adjustable baffle system, which im not crazy about but its a sweet idea. And one other thing the warranty on the Toro's are 5 year/1200 hour on everything except tires, blades, and belts. Where the Exmark only has a 3 year warranty on all the same exact stuff......I would go with Toro any day over exmark. Afterall they are the ones who invented the first large rotary mower......others are just following behind them (Exmark).

themadcutter
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Do you have enough power with that size deck? How much gas is it using per hour? I may pick one up too...

I have put 5 hours on it so far. Most of the time
I have used it at 3/4 throttle. IMO the this motor
Has enough power for most cutting. I had about
1 acre of fairly thick mixed grass about 10 to 12 inches
High and on that I went full throttle and it handled
It fine at my regular mowing speed. It would
Not have cut it well at all full speed but it was
Pretty thick

So far it seems bad on gas but I can't say for certain
Yet. I was told it will improve on fuel economy
when the motor is broken in but I'm not certain
Of that.

If I had to do it over again I would have taken the chance
On the efi. Koehler motor. I'm still worried if the efi
Will have problems but the reported 25% better
Mileage ( probably less than that in reality) sure
Looks good at this point

If you are going to mulch then get a bigger motor
If not mulching then this will suit you unless you
Want to mow tall thick grass at 10+ miles per hour
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
04-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Always run it at WOT for mowing. Always. You don't save any on fuel by lugging the engine harder, which you are whether or not you can hear it. The lower rpm's cause the blades to drag on the grass more, which uses as much or more fuel than WOT does. Many times 3/4 throttle will use even more fuel, and I have proven this several times in the past to non believers on their machines used on their properties. All the owners manuals I have ever read going back to as far as my dad's tractor he bought back in '68 (which I still have the owners manual for) say run at WOT for several reasons.

A couple quick ones:

One-The blades are designed to work the most efficiently and correctly in conjunction with the pulleys, which are designed (sized) to work in conjunction with the PTO pulley, which is designed (also sized) to work with the engine running at WOT.

Two- you need the engine fan spinning at WOT for proper cooling, especially under load and/or in warm weather.

themadcutter
04-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Always run it at WOT for mowing. Always. You don't save any on fuel by lugging the engine harder, which you are whether or not you can hear it. The lower rpm's cause the blades to drag on the grass more, which uses as much or more fuel than WOT does. Many times 3/4 throttle will use even more fuel, and I have proven this several times in the past to non believers on their machines used on their properties. All the owners manuals I have ever read going back to as far as my dad's tractor he bought back in '68 (which I still have the owners manual for) say run at WOT for several reasons.

A couple quick ones:

One-The blades are designed to work the most efficiently and correctly in conjunction with the pulleys, which are designed (sized) to work in conjunction with the PTO pulley, which is designed (also sized) to work with the engine running at WOT.

Two- you need the engine fan spinning at WOT for proper cooling, especially under load and/or in warm weather.

thanks for the advice. the reason I do not run at full throttle was never for fuel reasons. I have always believed that lower rpm and lower stress equates to longer engine life. I know the engine is designed to run at its max rpm (i think this motor is 3500 rpm) but I also know the lower rpm would have to reduce stress and friction on all moving parts.

Now fan speed is not something I have fully considered. I have thought of that issue before but figure the engine would not generate as much friction at the lower rpms and would cause less heat resulting in the need for less fan speed.

Ridin' Green
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
thanks for the advice. the reason I do not run at full throttle was never for fuel reasons. I have always believed that lower rpm and lower stress equates to longer engine life. I know the engine is designed to run at its max rpm (i think this motor is 3500 rpm) but I also know the lower rpm would have to reduce stress and friction on all moving parts.

Now fan speed is not something I have fully considered. I have thought of that issue before but figure the engine would not generate as much friction at the lower rpms and would cause less heat resulting in the need for less fan speed.

I understand how you feel. I used to fee that way too. Most engines will smooth out quite a bit when run at WOT though, and I do believe that that makes them last longer than when they have more vibration and less smooth harmonics, even though they are running at only 3/4 throttle. If you use an infrared thremometer on your engine, and check it at WOT and also at 3/4 throttle when run for the same amount of time, there will be little, if any difference in the temps.

BTW- most Kawi's are rated at 3600 rpm. It's always a good idea to check them to make sure that that is where they are set though, because they don't always come set correctly from the dealer.

Just stuff to consider.:)

themadcutter
04-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I understand how you feel. I used to fee that way too. Most engines will smooth out quite a bit when run at WOT though, and I do believe that that makes them last longer than when they have more vibration and less smooth harmonics, even though they are running at only 3/4 throttle. If you use an infrared thremometer on your engine, and check it at WOT and also at 3/4 throttle when run for the same amount of time, there will be little, if any difference in the temps.

BTW- most Kawi's are rated at 3600 rpm. It's always a good idea to check them to make sure that that is where they are set though, because they don't always come set correctly from the dealer.

Just stuff to consider.:)

Now that is something to consider. I'm going to give that a lot of thought.

thanks