PDA

View Full Version : Why am I doing lawns so slow please help?

kebrowns
03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
OK I was told with my equipment I can do up to 20 yards per day. I am solo and do this part time. Today I started doing lawns at 12:15pm. I was done at about 7:30pm. That's about 8hrs. I mowed 4 yards and including one yard fertilize treatment.

2 yards were about 5ksqft. One of them required an additional fert. treatment. Had many weeds toke me about 30 minutes for that. They both required edging, blowing, and mowing. One of the 5ksqft an additional bush/shrub trimming. Both these houses toke me about 3hrs to do everything.

1 yard was about 7ksqft. This yard required edging, cut, and trimming, blowing and bushes done. This house toke me about 1:15hr.

1 yard was about 10ksqft. This yard was fenced at back, had a fairly big fence at back. Also had two sheds at back. Trimmed around fence and sheds, and house, and flower beds. This yard required just a cut trimming, mowing, edging, and blowing. This house toke me about 2:15hrs.

I also toke about an additional a 30 minutes break.

Also the other day I pushed my bobcat 36 inch on a little over an acre yard. The grass was high, about 10 inches in about 40% of yard. Didn't have my sulky at the time. It toke me 1:15 hours to cut. Another 12 minutes of trimming around house. Trimmed around two trees. Also had to move a trampoline and mow under it and replace it. Also had to trim a water run off on the front entrance. That took about another 15 minutes to mow/trim. Everything toke me about 2:30min. That all include loading and unloading.

chuacro
04-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah I am with you on how to do 20 lawns a day. I max out at about 6 being a solo. I run all commercial equip.

themadcutter
04-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Your biggest problem is that people talk a lot of BS about what they do and what others should be doing. In my area we know a guy who mows 20 lawns a day. he has said so many times.

I drove down a street he was working on where he mows 2 1/4 acre lots and he had just gotten started. I drove back by a little over an hour later and he wasn't in his truck yet.

Other guys have said the same thing about him. Unless he is teleporting to his accounts and working 10 hours he isn't doing 20 a day unless the rest of them a zero lot lines on the same street.

How many is a factor of how big and how close. There are way to many variables involved to say 20 accounts is what you should be doing. Get ten small lawns on one street and then see what you are doing. I have 3 I get done in 45 minutes for all three. So I SHOULD be able to do 4 every hour and and get 40 done in 10 hours

But I don't and I never will.

themadcutter
04-01-2012, 12:41 AM
OK I was told with my equipment I can do up to 20 yards per day. I am solo and do this part time. Today I started doing lawns at 12:15pm.

If you toke for 30 minutes then there is your problem.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-01-2012, 12:42 AM
sound like you must walk to slow not about the numbers of lawns its the numbers you make $$$
One day of week I mow a lawn takes 7 hrs x 3 guys I make X,XXX.00

White Gardens
04-01-2012, 12:43 AM
You can mow 20 yards a day, here's how.

Buy a 72" ztr, and use it on every lawn including the ones that are only 3k square.

Don't do anything else, just mow and go.

Also have at least 10 accounts on the same street.

:rolleyes:

THEGOLDPRO
04-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Is this even a real question????

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Yeah I am with you on how to do 20 lawns a day. I max out at about 6 being a solo. I run all commercial equip.

I'm not solo only on weekends I'll go solo to visit with some customers The most I do 10 per day be the max these home lawns range from 10k-20k
today did 4 lawns and thatch a 2 acre baseball field sweep it in the morning

Set Apart Lawn Care
04-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Just confirming what has been said, 20 yards a day going solo is unrealistic. As it was said, who cares how many you do, what matters is how much you make.

hi_speedreed
04-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Your biggest problem is that people talk a lot of BS about what they do and what others should be doing. In my area we know a guy who mows 20 lawns a day. he has said so many times.

I drove down a street he was working on where he mows 2 1/4 acre lots and he had just gotten started. I drove back by a little over an hour later and he wasn't in his truck yet.

Other guys have said the same thing about him. Unless he is teleporting to his accounts and working 10 hours he isn't doing 20 a day unless the rest of them a zero lot lines on the same street.

How many is a factor of how big and how close. There are way to many variables involved to say 20 accounts is what you should be doing. Get ten small lawns on one street and then see what you are doing. I have 3 I get done in 45 minutes for all three. So I SHOULD be able to do 4 every hour and and get 40 done in 10 hours

This really did make me lol. People do talk a lot of bulls**t. If you tell a story and the first thing a person says is "well, listen to what happened to me" then you know you need to put on some waders.

First time mows always take me way longer. I put in extra work, get it all right, especially the trimming and then after that I can move at a pretty good clip with the trimmer. That's also why first time mows get charged a little extra. I also have 3 in a row on the same side of the street. I timed myself last week and it took me 78 minutes to trim, mow and blow thats about 26min each. I was happy. If you are happy with your $/hr and your customers are happy with your work, who cares if you get 20 a day or 2 a day? Run your business, know others have to talk BS to make themselves feel superior to their peers.

knox gsl
04-01-2012, 12:58 AM
The most I've done solo was 13 in one day all under 1/2 acre and 6 on one street using a 60" ztr. There is very little chance that many solos are running 20 per day unless they are 5-8k lawns and all in the same neighborhood. Once you get your accounts cleaned up for the year and get in a routine you should be able to do 8-10 per day (.25-.5 acre) if they are close together.

Greyst1
04-01-2012, 01:19 AM
The most i've done in 9 hours (with break) is 14 lawns. My lawns are your typical 3/4 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage homes sitting on a half acre. Some are larger amd some smaller. Some are on the same street and some are 10 min away.

20 lawns a day is certainly achievable. Get a tight route, stay consistent, get the right equipment and you can definitely do it. Not sure if i missed it buy what are you mowing with?

O and it's definitely not about how many a day, its about how much profit you make after finishing a quality job done proper.

Lbilawncare
04-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Most guys exaggerate. I've had solo guys tell me that they do 250k a year just mowing. They must think I'm a multi-millionaire.

LawnMan19
04-01-2012, 02:30 AM
You can mow 20 yards a day, here's how.

Buy a 72" ztr, and use it on every lawn including the ones that are only 3k square.

Don't do anything else, just mow and go.

Also have at least 10 accounts on the same street.

:rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh: That's exactly how you do it.

Tharrell
04-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Yup. No tokin on the job!

chipk1
04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Sometimes I can do 20 lawns in a day solo, but that is working from 8 am until 8pm and only in certain parts of my route. I have one street that I have 11 lawns in a row, all with NO trimming and I can get out of there in less than 4 hours. It all depends on what type of accounts you have. I have 64 accounts mostly all turf only. But typically I average 12-15 per day.

The trick is to remember that you are one man. Try to stay away from momentum killers, you know, yards that keep you for more than 30 minutes. It seems that momentum killers not only hurt you for that yard but they seem to beat you down for the rest of the day. People just don't seem to understand that trimming is not nearly as profitable as mow and go. Most LCO's way under bid trimming. Trimming and then picking up the clippings is time consuming.

It has taken me 11 years to develop my route. Everything I do is within 7 miles of my house. Most days I drive less than 15 miles total.

You also have to keep this in mind, if you fool around and waste 10 minutes on every lawn and are doing, say 10 yards, that adds up to 100 minutes! You could to 3 to 4 more lawns in that time.

One more tip that I could give you is that your customers do not notice near as many imperfections in your service as you see. Another wards, many guys are just to nit picky about what they do. I am not saying don't give reliable service, I am just saying to remember that you are a lawn guy;)

ShooterK2
04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I have one street that I have 11 lawns in a row, all with NO trimming

This must vary by location..... around here, EVERY lawn has a lot of trimming. How do you not at least trim around the house?

grandview (2006)
04-01-2012, 07:55 AM
If your suppose to be cutting grass then cut grass,not all that other stuff. As others said no toking on the job!

chipk1
04-01-2012, 08:19 AM
This must vary by location..... around here, EVERY lawn has a lot of trimming. How do you not at least trim around the house?

Hedge trimming, NOT grass trimming.

CS-LAWNSERVICE
04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
I set my Schedule by Dollars per day not lawns per day .
I want to make XXX.XX per day weather it be one large lawn or 10 small ones once my schedule hits that amount of dollars for the day i close that day off any one new goes to another day or I do not take them .

yardguy28
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM

themadcutter hit the nail on the head.

while this site is a great source for information, it is also full of a lot of bull sheot.

people will say anything on the net to a bunch of people who never will even know if they really exist or are even in the lawn industry.

personally I don't ever focus on what anyone else can do except myself. I ignore all numbers when people say how much money they make or how many accounts they do in a day.

I'd spit out how many I can do in a day but I basically just told you to ignore those numbers. but in case your curious I'm solo and I can usually do between 8 and 12 a day, size, location and condition depending. I use all commercial equipment. mostly a 52" toro grandstand to mow with.

I focus more on quality than quantity. I focus more on client retention rather than the amount of money I make off of each client or acquiring more clients.

jsslawncare
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Who told you, you could cut 20 a day? an equipment salesman? With travel, breaks, customer talk time and doing a good job about 10 a day is a good number for solo.(I think)

yardguy28
04-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Sometimes I can do 20 lawns in a day solo, but that is working from 8 am until 8pm and only in certain parts of my route. I have one street that I have 11 lawns in a row, all with NO trimming and I can get out of there in less than 4 hours. It all depends on what type of accounts you have. I have 64 accounts mostly all turf only. But typically I average 12-15 per day

how can you have any lawn with NO trimming. I trim around the perimeter, all trees, light posts, mulch beds, etc.

so you have properties with none of that stuff???

MTenterprises
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM

LMAO....:usflag:

kebrowns
04-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I did mention I do trimming and trimmed around houses and trees

weaver
04-01-2012, 11:11 AM

No doubt stop toking and you should'nt have a problem...

blk90s13
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I had the same problem then I stopped being a slacker !

tyler_mott85
04-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok first of all 12:15 to 7:30 is just over 7 hours. Not 8 hours. So right away you're 45 minutes faster then you thought. And whoever told you that you could do 20 yards a day probably meant mowing only. No fertilizing. No Bushes to be trimmed. No leaf cleanups. All of those tasks add a lot of time to each yard. I tried to decifer from your post how much time you spent doing each task so we could actually decide how much time you spent actually mowing but I was unable to do so based on the information you provided.

Whenever I've worked for a large company and have been a crew leader I've had a simple formula to determine if I'm working at a fair pace. Keep track of when you leave the "shop" or your "base" (home garage) and what time you return to that location at the end of the day and divide by the number of yards to mow in that period. What I've come up with and holds pretty constant throughout the years regardless of the size of the lawns is this. If you are running solo and you have a properly equipped trailer (take this with a grain of salt because that adds a whole different side to this convo) I should average 45 minutes a lawn. Sometimes it will be higher sometimes it will be lower but somewhere in there is where I've always been. So if I leave the house at 8am and get back at 4pm I should of mowed between 10 and 11 yards by myself. This takes into consideration drive time and breaks/lunch, etc.

If I run a two man crew that 45 minute drops to around 30 minutes per yard. So in the same 8 hours period I should mow around 16 yards.

I'm not saying this is true for every person or for every part of the country but for ME it's been constant for 10 years working with half dozen different companies and myself on lawns anywhere from just a couple thousand sq ft to a few acres.

Keep in mind this is just mowing, edging, trimming (the grass) and blowing. Any additional work like hedge trimming, planting, weeding, fertilizing will throw this off completely.

If you have a really tight route and the lawn sizes are small you will get more done.

If you have several miles to drive between lawns and they're larger lawns say over 10,000 sq ft you're going to get a lot less number of lawns done in a day.

Mostly the routes I run are split up into clusters. Caused mostly by getting a lead into a neighborhood and then getting a few others in that area. So I may have 3 lawns in this neighborhood with just a few minutes driving between them and then drive 10 to 15 to the next cluster, etc.

Also I have found that as I get older it takes me a little bit longer to do each lawn but less things go wrong and things go more smoothly resulting in less breakage and repairs which we all know when things break it takes away any advantage of being really fast if you're sitting on the side of the road or circling back into your route to take care of something.

Richard Martin
04-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about what you're "supposed" to do. As long as you're happy that's all that matters. The most lawns I ever did in a day was 13 or 14 (it was a long time ago) and it took me 12 hours. I'm older now so I don't move as fast. I average about 1 hour and 15 minutes per lawn and most of my lawns are around 1/2 acre. 3 of my lawns have killer ditches, some of them have fencing all of the way around the back, they all have copious amounts of concrete to edge and some of them are like obstacle courses. It's going to take me time to do them and I know it.

Like others have said, it's not the time, it's the money. I do come up a little short of how much I'd like to make but it's taking me forever to get the customer base that I'm looking for. I don't take jobs that I don't like and I'm not going to work for free.

WOW
04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
OK I was told with my equipment I can do up to 20 yards per day. I am solo and do this part time. Today I started doing lawns at 12:15pm. I was done at about 7:30pm. That's about 8hrs. I mowed 4 yards and including one yard fertilize treatment.

2 yards were about 5ksqft. One of them required an additional fert. treatment. Had many weeds toke me about 30 minutes for that. They both required edging, blowing, and mowing. One of the 5ksqft an additional bush/shrub trimming. Both these houses toke me about 3hrs to do everything.

1 yard was about 7ksqft. This yard required edging, cut, and trimming, blowing and bushes done. This house toke me about 1:15hr.

1 yard was about 10ksqft. This yard was fenced at back, had a fairly big fence at back. Also had two sheds at back. Trimmed around fence and sheds, and house, and flower beds. This yard required just a cut trimming, mowing, edging, and blowing. This house toke me about 2:15hrs.

Also the other day I pushed my bobcat 36 inch on a little over an acre yard. The grass was high, about 10 inches in about 40% of yard. Didn't have my sulky at the time. It toke me 1:15 hours to cut. Another 12 minutes of trimming around house. Trimmed around two trees. Also had to move a trampoline and mow under it and replace it. Also had to trim a water run off on the front entrance. That took about another 15 minutes to mow/trim. Everything toke me about 2:30min. That all include loading and unloading.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/dartamatic/8423308.jpg

MTenterprises
04-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure why, how, or what you are doing. 20 a day solo is beyond funny for whoever told you that. I can do 8 to 10 solo and the only "break" I take is driving to the next job.

JCLawn and more
04-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Typically I do about 10, but they are bigger than what your doing. I figure 30min-45 min on a 1 acre lawn. Thats mowing, blowing, edging, picking up random junk. This is with a 60inch mower though. Honestly the lawn you said should take me closer to 30 min. i don't know if you new are not, but I find a lot of help I have had typically they are a 1/4 or less as fast as me on the trimmer. They always do a sweeping motion, this is not correct, you should be able to trim holding the trimmer in one place and walk, or run down the side of a building and not miss anything. I have finished a whole lawn mowing before they were done trimming while on the same lawn I have been done with trimming while they were on the second lap around the property. To trim a lawn it should take only 10-15 min tops to trim around everything. I just did a 15 acre property yesterday and it only takes me a hour to trim around everything. 5 buildings, and countless objects, fences, and ditches. Personally I bet that is where you are loosing your time without seeing you in action. With those small of properties it should take 30-45min for a cut, trim, and blow with your equipment. I think 45 min would be a long time though. 10,000 square feet is only 100x100. Now the last lawn does not sound horrible because you did extra stuff and one acre would take you a hour to mow with a 36inch mower. I am just going to take a guess trimming is what is slowing you down. You should always be able to go at a walking pace unless its super thick or tall.

smallstripesnc
04-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I have ran into a similar issue. I max out at about 6 lawns a day solo with no break except driving and sitting in traffic. Keep in mind all my lawns are less than 1/2 acre and I don't have a good route. I start at around 9am and come home at dark.

I was also using a 22 inch recycler for most of my lawns and the 30 inch timemaster helped until it gave me a ton of issues. Now I have a Scag 36inch walk behind which has enabled me to get maybe 8 or so max if I get my route right.

A lot of my properties it seems the edging takes me awhile and that could be why I'm so slow plus sitting in traffic (Usually after 3PM or so it gets bad). I actually sat in traffic at 4:30PM on Friday for about 45minutes.

JCLawn and more
04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I have ran into a similar issue. I max out at about 6 lawns a day solo with no break except driving and sitting in traffic. Keep in mind all my lawns are less than 1/2 acre and I don't have a good route. I start at around 9am and come home at dark.

I was also using a 22 inch recycler for most of my lawns and the 30 inch timemaster helped until it gave me a ton of issues. Now I have a Scag 36inch walk behind which has enabled me to get maybe 8 or so max if I get my route right.

A lot of my properties it seems the edging takes me awhile and that could be why I'm so slow plus sitting in traffic (Usually after 3PM or so it gets bad). I actually sat in traffic at 4:30PM on Friday for about 45minutes.

If you get like a push edger you might be able to cut down on your time. I just have an mtd one with a better blade and I can basically run with it unless its a new cut.

smallstripesnc
04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
If you get like a push edger you might be able to cut down on your time. I just have an mtd one with a better blade and I can basically run with it unless its a new cut.

Do the push edgers looks just as good as if you do it with a line trimmer?

Richard Martin
04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Do the push edgers looks just as good as if you do it with a line trimmer?

The correct question is always flipped around. Anybody can do a good edge with an edger. It takes practice with a trimmer and some people never get it right.

Most guys that use an edger use a stick edger for weekly maintenance.

smallstripesnc
04-01-2012, 01:46 PM
The correct question is always flipped around. Anybody can do a good edge with an edger. It takes practice with a trimmer and some people never get it right.

Most guys that use an edger use a stick edger for weekly maintenance.

I'd say I'm good with using a line trimmer but it takes more time because I go slow because I want it to look perfect.

orangemower
04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about what you're "supposed" to do. As long as you're happy that's all that matters. The most lawns I ever did in a day was 13 or 14 (it was a long time ago) and it took me 12 hours. I'm older now so I don't move as fast. I average about 1 hour and 15 minutes per lawn and most of my lawns are around 1/2 acre. 3 of my lawns have killer ditches, some of them have fencing all of the way around the back, they all have copious amounts of concrete to edge and some of them are like obstacle courses. It's going to take me time to do them and I know it.

Like others have said, it's not the time, it's the money. I do come up a little short of how much I'd like to make but it's taking me forever to get the customer base that I'm looking for. I don't take jobs that I don't like and I'm not going to work for free.

I'm in a similar position. I also feel the same way about doing specific jobs. I'd rather turn down a cutting job on a hill that you need to wear cleats on to keep from falling down or tipping over the mower. The money would have to be REAL good to consider a job like that.

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
This topic has no real correct answer. I have done 20 in a day solo. I started at 7am and got done at 3ish. But our route is very tight with multiple lawns at every stop. None of our daily routes are more than 25 miles round trip. This is cut, trim, blow and go. No breaks, just plain hauling azz constantly on the move. The break is in the air conditioned truck for the 5 minute ride to the next group of lawns. Also I use our 60" mower on 99% of our properties and the 34Z in areas (gated) that the 60" wont fit. I get in a "groove" so to speak and everything is like clock work. No lunch breaks, no breaks in the middle of a job in the shade (unless you start feeling sick in the heat), move, move, move, load up and off to the next jobs.

Most people do not have that luxury of a tight route. We have worked 30+ years to build a route like that.

StanWilhite
04-01-2012, 05:22 PM

I wondered if anyone else would catch that. :)

stickleylawncare
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Yards per day can vary so much depending on the size and extra work needed; more hedges, edging long driveways etc. On Thursday we do 17 yards and its a full day. Friday isn't even a half day and we do 16, but they are all tiny yards in the same neighborhood.

Richard Martin
04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Yards per day can vary so much depending on the size and extra work needed; more hedges, edging long driveways etc. On Thursday we do 17 yards and its a full day. Friday isn't even a half day and we do 16, but they are all tiny yards in the same neighborhood.

He was asking about working solo. You indicate that there is at least 2 in your crew, if not more. :)

Duekster
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Your yards seem a little larger and not sure how measured, how close to each other and such.

Many of our lots are 5K to 12K but you have to take out the house, drive and such. That leaves around 2.5 to 6K lawn. We also have fences, walks, drives and building to line trim then blow. I find with a 32-36 mower this allows around 6 houses a day in 7 to 8 hours depending. If you add a guy or two you will find this can pick up but do not count on more than 8 houses per person in a long day based on the sizes described. Supported by some of the other post above as well.

JTVLandscaping
04-01-2012, 07:10 PM
If your suppose to be cutting grass then cut grass,not all that other stuff. As others said no toking on the job!

http://youtu.be/341emHqj72I

OakNut
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, there are so many variables that you can't compare your own work pace to someone else unless you mow the exact same lawns.

Last season was my first full season. I work alone and I mow between 6 and 13 a day - usually no more than 10.

Equipment makes a difference. Last season I was mowing a client's back lawn with my 21" Super Recycler (my only mower at the time) and watched as a "crew" came to do the property behind the one I was cutting. I looked at my watch when the zero turn came around the back corner of the house. Four minutes later he was headed back around to the front. :eek:
It takes me about 25 minutes to mow my client's which is roughly the same size lawn.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Just focus on doing a good job and don't worry about the clock. New people that call me and see how I work tell me how the guys came in and acted like they were in a damn race. They ran into the house with mowers, smashed gutter downsoputs, yard looks like chit, the list goes on and on. Not saying move at a snails pace but do a good job as efficiently as you can and thats all you can ask of yourself. I never try to load my days up too heavy because I like to leave alittle room incase of rain, equipment failure, etc. I could have pushed harder made alittle more coin but there have been days that things came up and I was glad I wasn't routed so heavy I couldn't handle it with a few issues to work in. Makes life alittle less stressful.

stickleylawncare
04-01-2012, 11:04 PM
He was asking about working solo. You indicate that there is at least 2 in your crew, if not more. :)

Ya I know, just pointing out that measuring generically by 'yards per day' just doesn't really mean anything at all solo or not. Like most have said, its how much you are making, if you are doing a good job, and if your customers are happy. :drinkup:

cgaengineer
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I did 35 lawns 3 weeks ago

But I never moved the truck...
Posted via Mobile Device

MR-G
04-01-2012, 11:29 PM
we can do 18-20 a day if...they only need cut,edged,weedeated,and blown down....no weeding,shrubs ect....and they are no more than 1/4ac. each...and are no more than 2-5 minutes apart....and this will take a crew of 3....(comfortably an 8 hr day...with a few breaks)....solo, you should avg. 6-8 per day (if the above senario is same)...a good guid for us to try and achieve is 6-8 per day per man...(2 guys=12-16....ect.ect.)...keep in mind there is no real way to factor all the variables on each property each time...surprises and set backs are going to pop up...you just have to get real good of adjusting for them on the fly...try and figure out your TOTAL cost per hr....based on a 35-40 hr work week (if thats what you plan to work) and then make sure you add in the hourly pay you wish to keep....bid accordingly...some jobs will be better than others but at least this way you have a minimum an acct. must produce.....if it doesnt re adjust the price or drop it for another acct.....keep doing this until ALL accts. meet the minimum you have set....it takes some time but you will survive in the end.....good luck

milkie62
04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Typically I do about 10, but they are bigger than what your doing. I figure 30min-45 min on a 1 acre lawn. Thats mowing, blowing, edging, picking up random junk. This is with a 60inch mower though. Honestly the lawn you said should take me closer to 30 min. i don't know if you new are not, but I find a lot of help I have had typically they are a 1/4 or less as fast as me on the trimmer. They always do a sweeping motion, this is not correct, you should be able to trim holding the trimmer in one place and walk, or run down the side of a building and not miss anything. I have finished a whole lawn mowing before they were done trimming while on the same lawn I have been done with trimming while they were on the second lap around the property. To trim a lawn it should take only 10-15 min tops to trim around everything. I just did a 15 acre property yesterday and it only takes me a hour to trim around everything. 5 buildings, and countless objects, fences, and ditches. Personally I bet that is where you are loosing your time without seeing you in action. With those small of properties it should take 30-45min for a cut, trim, and blow with your equipment. I think 45 min would be a long time though. 10,000 square feet is only 100x100. Now the last lawn does not sound horrible because you did extra stuff and one acre would take you a hour to mow with a 36inch mower. I am just going to take a guess trimming is what is slowing you down. You should always be able to go at a walking pace unless its super thick or tall.

I do not know how a 1 acre property could be done in 30-45 minutes in my area.Here goes: I pull up to the property and take a big swig of cold drink as I get out of the truck.Put on my hearing and eye protection.Take the trimmer out of the truck,start it up and start walking.Mailbox,driveway edge,back of house along foundation,around base of 5 trees,and around flag pole.Walk back to truck,put trimmer back and take out push mower to take 1 mower width around each tree and back of house,1 swipe around irregular mulch beds in front of house.Put push mower back.I am at 15-20 minutes already.Drop gate unload ztr---mow yard (1 acre) as stated by poster.Spend 3 minutes loading up and another 2 minutes blowing things off and another swig of cold drink.Mr. smith comes out and I BS with him for 3 minutes (good customer relations) hop in truck and wait 30 seconds for car to pass by so I can pull out.I do not see how that can be done in 30 -45 minutes.Maybe 45-60 minutes. And I do not know how some guys say they do not even carry a 21" mower with them.How do they not tear up going a tight radius around a tree ? Between the low branches and # of trees on my properties I need a 21" to do a proper job.I am also very rural and to get a loaf of bread I must drive 6 miles so maybe I just have too much travel between stops.

1whitetail
04-02-2012, 01:09 AM
I do not know how a 1 acre property could be done in 30-45 minutes in my area.Here goes: I pull up to the property and take a big swig of cold drink as I get out of the truck.Put on my hearing and eye protection.Take the trimmer out of the truck,start it up and start walking.Mailbox,driveway edge,back of house along foundation,around base of 5 trees,and around flag pole.Walk back to truck,put trimmer back and take out push mower to take 1 mower width around each tree and back of house,1 swipe around irregular mulch beds in front of house.Put push mower back.I am at 15-20 minutes already.Drop gate unload ztr---mow yard (1 acre) as stated by poster.Spend 3 minutes loading up and another 2 minutes blowing things off and another swig of cold drink.Mr. smith comes out and I BS with him for 3 minutes (good customer relations) hop in truck and wait 30 seconds for car to pass by so I can pull out.I do not see how that can be done in 30 -45 minutes.Maybe 45-60 minutes. And I do not know how some guys say they do not even carry a 21" mower with them.How do they not tear up going a tight radius around a tree ? Between the low branches and # of trees on my properties I need a 21" to do a proper job.I am also very rural and to get a loaf of bread I must drive 6 miles so maybe I just have too much travel between stops.

That is exactly how I feel when I read many of the post on this site. Sometimes I feel like there is a problem with the way I do things but I guess not.

milkie62
04-02-2012, 02:31 AM
That is exactly how I feel when I read many of the post on this site. Sometimes I feel like there is a problem with the way I do things but I guess not.

I gave a real life mower stop.I think alot here are blowing smoke out their tailpipes.You cannot do a 1 acre property properly solo in 30 minutes.But then again his 1 acre may not be the standard 43k sq ft minus all the obstructions.

soloscaperman
04-02-2012, 03:22 AM

This is a common mistake I see. There should not be any sweeping motion unless the person on the mower is blind or your string is too short.

TruSomethingOrOther
04-02-2012, 06:38 AM
The most I've ever done in one day was 16 yards. That was with a 21" mower (by myself actually), and the accounts were damn near all side by side (had a ton of accounts in the same neighborhood, took two days just to do 4 streets). But let me tell you (heh), it was a frickin long day. Think I pulled 14 - 15 hours. I use to be full of energy. There is no way in hell I could do that again lol

JCLawn and more
04-02-2012, 07:35 AM
This is a common mistake I see. There should not be any sweeping motion unless the person on the mower is blind or your string is too short.

ya, I mow lawn for a friend and he thinks I am super human on the trimmer, so I let my secret out for this guy haha. Trimming a lawn only takes a few minutes if you know how to do it correctly.

yardguy28
04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
more and more I fail to see the point in mentioning how many lawns a day one can mow, as if bragging.

maybe some are impressed or care but personally I could give a rats behind how many lawns others do in a day. it's just not something I'm impressed by or curious about, whether they are blowing smoke or not.

my only concern is how much money I'm making and how successful in my eyes my business is. how happy are the clients I'm servicing. who cares if jonny down the street can mow 20 yards in a day. that doesn't affect me or help me out any.

as said there is no standard number one can or can not do. there are so many variables figured into the day. the equipment you use, the size of the property, what's required to be done on the property, drive times, break times, your own personal work ethic, how many hours a day you put, etc.

JCLawn and more
04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
To the post about 45-60 min. I never carry a push mower. I never edge the foundation and I don't think I have came across it. So here is my process, drop the gate, get done in 15 or less and you don't do completly around the tree and leave a strip of grass. Then drive the mower in the trailer, a whole 10 seconds, get the trimmer and one pull and I'm off. 10-15 min I'm done trimming. Its quicker to trim thay long strip by the tree rather than pulling a push mower and still having to trim it. So I yank out the edger, 30seconds up one side of the sidewalk and 30 down the other. Then a min or 2 for blowing. That's a generous 40 min. Shoot one lawn I did that was an acre last week I mowed and trimmed, raked the sticks in the lawn, and raked the rocks out too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roger
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
This thread has some really funny stuff! It is not unlike a knock-off from the threads, "How much do you make?"

If some of the stuff in here is true, the grass cutting industry would be full of those giving up their high-paying, while-collar professional jobs, just to cut grass. The money to be made is just too great to pass up.

Carry on, ... with more funny stuff.

ShooterK2
04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
this thread has some really funny stuff!

^^^ this ^^^

lawnworker
04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I usually mow a hundred a day, and this is before lunch time, when I take time to toke, or is it toke time to take-LOL.

In all seriousness, I hope the OP was charging for all the extra work besides mowing. This would make his time irrelevant for mowing.

Procut lawn expert
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
i got two 61'' scags and i can NOT get 20 a day with two guys

yardguy28
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
this thread is turning into a pissing contest.

sending the wrong message that quantity and how fast you can do a property matters most. focus on quality and don't worry about how many you get done in a days time.

I'd rather do 5 quality properties than 10 mediocre properties any day. even if they both payed the same per property.

ProStreetCamaro
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
i got two 61'' scags and i can NOT get 20 a day with two guys

How large are your yards? How far apart are they? This plays the biggest role in how many somebody can get done in a day.

Example. Here I am at home at 3:30. We did 15 today and was backing the truck in the driveway at 1:30. Had we stayed out we could have had 20 done by 3pm. The most we ever did in a day was 31. That was in the middle of the summer starting at 7am and finishing at 7pm.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
How are some of you guys running your route? your saying we did some many but could of done more. Don't you have a set schedule for each day? I can see doubling up if a few days of rain are heading in and you don't want to get to far behind so just wondering .

ProStreetCamaro
04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
How are some of you guys running your route? your saying we did some many but could of done more. Don't you have a set schedule for each day? I can see doubling up if a few days of rain are heading in and you don't want to get to far behind so just wondering .

Exactly we have our routes setup in a loop. That is why we stopped today at 15. The same ones we do every monday. Actually from now on it will be 17 on mondays. We picked up 2 today. Our customers can tell you almost exactly what time we will show up every week with in a 30 minute window. If they are calling for rain later in the week then absolutely we go ahead and get ahead of schedule.

yardguy28
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM

and your humoring these smoke blowers, why???

bwelchre
04-02-2012, 05:56 PM
We run 4 ten hour mowing days, mon-thur for the last year and it has worked out very well, we had to work only a few Saturdays. if it rains hard enough to stop us for the day (lightning) we will go in on Friday.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 05:58 PM
and your humoring these smoke blowers, why???

Because right now I'm sitting here with a sick kid and not out cutting my 25 1/2 acre lawns with my push mower.:weightlifter:

THEGOLDPRO
04-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Because right now I'm sitting here with a sick kid and not out cutting my 25 1/2 acre lawns with my push mower.:weightlifter:

I use 2 push mowers so i know your jelious.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
I use 2 push mowers so i know your jelious.

1 in each hand?:cool2:

cnyclean
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Took* not toke. Also 12:15 to 7:30 is 7 hours and 15 minutes. Not 8 hours.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
So he took a toke.