PDA

View Full Version : I hate loaning my stuff out!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-12-2002, 11:15 PM
My neighbor asked me if he could borrow my backpack blower the other day. Can't say no. He's seen me in the yard using it. Can't use the excuse "it's broken". He's a good guy. Well, he had it for 2 days. Used it on some other properties he owns. Stuff never comes back the same way it leaves. Shoulder straps were readjusted, and I could tell he dicked around with the carb adjustment. Plus it looked like he had straight gas in the tank after I told him to use a 50:1 mix. Anyone else run into this problem???

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
12-12-2002, 11:43 PM
After that I would just explain that it wouldnt be bad if he used it an hr or so next door but it sounds like he's dragging it off to who knows where and having a good chance of being stolen or something and I'm sure he doesn't respect it if he's running straight gas in it when you told him what to use.
Next time tell him that you will do the blowing he needs done next door. If your willing to give up your equip then you might as well give up your time to insure that your equip. gets taking care of.
My neighbors never ask but I do help out with leaf clean-up and snow ,It gives me a place to try my equip. out after servicing.

odin
12-12-2002, 11:45 PM
No, because i never lend out the tools of my trade.

mklawnman
12-12-2002, 11:54 PM
Yeah lending out your equipment isnt a good idea, even if its a close friend or neighbor. Rather ask them if they would interested in you doing the blowing instead of them, maybe give alittle discount cause your neighbors??? but i wouldnt lend out anything that i have paid for. Its mine, i worked hard to buy something to improve my business im the one that uses it or my brother thats all.
Yeah its a neighbor but you gotta still treat it like its a regular customer.
Matt

bubble boy
12-12-2002, 11:56 PM
that sucks, but last time i bet eh???

real easy to say no once you get burned. i only lend something if i am okay with that person destroying it. for a neighbor maybe a rake.

how you feel now, remember that next time he comes a begging.

mklawnman
12-12-2002, 11:59 PM
I guess like say a shovel or a rake isnt too bad to lend to a neighbor. But something thats of more value to my business that costs more to purchase would be something i would never lend out.
Matt

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-13-2002, 12:03 AM
This neighbor has done favors for me, like taking care of my cats when I'm out of town, etc... He did call me after the first night to tell me he got caught up in some other stuff and that he would need the blower another day if it was OK with me. He even offered to pay me. I guess I'm just a sucker. Blower did seem to run okay today after adjusting the carb. Maybe I'll take Bubble Boys suggestion and offer him a rake next time.

odin
12-13-2002, 12:18 AM
My neighbor does things for me when he does i pay him .Hes a plummer and if i need some plumming he aint gonna lend me his tools unless i hire him to do the work.
So i aint gonna lend him my tools.If i happened to have a home owner model around i use for my personal lawn care thats a different story.

Randy Scott
12-13-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by LAWNS AND MOWER
This neighbor has done favors for me, like taking care of my cats when I'm out of town, etc...

Really shouldn't complain then.

I know it is frustrating though when something like using a simple piece of equipment turns into a hassle because the guy can't figure out how to properly operate a piece of equipment that a 5 year old could operate. Choke, pull cord, choke off, throttle. How much harder could it be. I really, really shy away from loaning equipment. Sometimes you can't always dodge that bullet though. That's why I limit my friend and neighbor intake. I really could care less if I'm the less friendly guy. I married my best friend, she is enough. Of course the occasional drinking buddy is good. :D

Premo Services
12-13-2002, 12:37 AM
RULE # 1 NEVER LOAN EQUIPTMENT OUT !!!
RULE # 2 DON'T LOAN EQUIPTMENT
RULE # 3 NEVER LOAN EQUIPTMENT OUT!!!!

enuf said!!! :angry: :mad: :angry: :mad:

Randy Scott
12-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Premo Services

Rule #4 Spell equipment right. EQUIPMENT, only one "T". :)

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Premo Services

Rule #4 LEARN HOW TO SPELL EQUIPMENT!!!!!

Randy Scott
12-13-2002, 12:42 AM
Oh, that's funny! :)

Sorry we both unloaded on you Premo! :D

sodJerry
12-13-2002, 01:27 AM
The LAST time I loaned out equipment to a friend(?) was almost two years ago. They used my hydro-seeder as a water tank while waiting to get their well dug. When I got it back(I had to go get it) I had to rewire the tail lights and repair one engine. The clean out tank was also dented in and it had a lot of touch up paint on it. Some questions are best not asked.
DON'T LOAN OUT EQUIPMENT !

Darb
12-13-2002, 02:49 AM
Possibly a good way of telling the neighbor "no" is to let him know just how much the blower cost. Few people know that the blowers run around $400. They are used to seeing $59 ones at Lowes. If you let them know that this $400 piece of equipment is your way of making money they will not be hurt or resentful. Another way is to get a second hand $59 one and handing him that one.

Andrew S
12-13-2002, 06:05 AM
When I was younger my boss taught me that:

1 You don't lend your tools

2 you don't lend your wife

in that order,in other words without your tools of trade how on earth are you supposed to carve out a living.

tell your neighbor that if he requires your equipment thats ok as long as you go along to operate the machinery and take it home once the job is finished

If it is major work -charge for it! it costs you money evertime you start a machine up

Tony Harrell
12-13-2002, 06:21 AM
If someone asks to borrow my stuff, I tell them I have to make soup. When they ask what that has to do with it, I say "Nothing really, but if I don't want to loan my expensive work tools out, one excuse is as good as another".

SLS
12-13-2002, 08:47 AM
This is a good reason to keep your old, cheaper equipment around as backup or spares.

My neighbor once saw me out on the yard blowing leaves with my EB7000. Later in the day he came over and asked to borrow it.

"Sure", I said..."let me finish my lunch and I run it over to you".

He couldn't tell the difference between the EB7000 and my old Homelite Backpacker.....and I wasn't tell either. :D

cajuncutter
12-13-2002, 09:25 AM
SLS I do the vary same thing:D Also sometimes I will strike a deal with the neighbor. I will round up all their leaves and my leaves and in trade they bag them all. This really works out for me. By the time I am done with my customers yards I really do not like to have to pick my leaves up. I think the trade works out well!!

GroundKprs
12-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Rule 1: Never lend out anything (unless you don't want it back). Includes money. LOL.

Rule 2 (after you are comfortable with rule 1): Learn who you can really lend to.

I'll lend anything, except wife, to 4 people. Have known K well for over 30 years. Lent him my shredder few years ago, and pointed out broken weld on leg - told him to not run it on pavement, set on lawn. When i got it back in 8 hours, not only was the broken weld fixed, all welds were reinforced. (But even if I never got the shredder back, that friendship is worth a lot more than $700.)

Want to help neighbor? Don't lend it, just do it. Once had a new neighbor want to borrow a screwdriver. Told her my rule #1, but went over to their house with my screwdriver and tightened up her kitchen cabinet handles.

wriken
12-13-2002, 10:48 AM
I don't lend out equipment to freinds/neighbors(hope I spelled those 2 words right), but family I will, at least my brother and brother-in-law, we all worked in the pulpwood business together, so I know they have knowledge in operating equipment, but even when I do I send gas/oil with it if its a 2-stroke, I run amsoil 100-1 only. But all in all They usually don't borrow anything, they usually have it anyways:)

lsylvain
12-13-2002, 11:02 AM
I would let my neighbor borrow my stuff. The only reason is if I ever needed something he would let me use it. He told me before if I ever needed anything just to go and get it out of his shed. The difference is I have lived next to him for 4 years now and neither one of us has ever borrowed anything. Sometimes when I'm doing my yard stuff I'll keep on going and do atleast some of his yard just to be neighborly.

Now my brother that's a different story. I let him borrow my hedgetrimmer once to do someone at his churches hedges. Last year he ended up doing more dedge work than I did, and now I'm a jerk if i don't let him use it.

Most common excuses

1) It's broke
2) The in-laws have it
3) I'm leaving in 10 min to go use it at a job

The dege trimmer isn't bad but he is always wanting to borrow a chain saw. I have managed to fend him off for awhile but it's hard to comeup with excuses since I have 3 of them.

A lot of the tools that I have have been given to me by my father so it makes it hard to not let him borrow stuff

anyway it's a huge pain in the a@#

Andrew S
12-13-2002, 11:18 AM
No means No,once you have explained your situation it is easier to say that simple word. No!

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by SLS
This is a good reason to keep your old, cheaper equipment around as backup or spares.

My neighbor once saw me out on the yard blowing leaves with my EB7000. Later in the day he came over and asked to borrow it.

"Sure", I said..."let me finish my lunch and I run it over to you".

He couldn't tell the difference between the EB7000 and my old Homelite Backpacker.....and I wasn't tell either. :D
I tried that. I have a "backup blower" behind my house, but the only problem was that I couldn't get it started. Had been sitting for 4 months. Change the plug,air filter, put new gas in. Still wouldn't start.

EHesseyLawns
12-13-2002, 12:24 PM
never loan out equipment, im in college rite now and a guy who im pretty good friends with, we tried to be business partners...he took my brand new stihl back pack out and i come home one weekend and it's got a shop tag on it and he's yet to this day (months later) told me why it was in the shop...and another time the clip that attaches the strap to the actual blower had broken off and i told him to get it fixed before i came home that next thursday (which is 5 days later mind you, PLENTY of time to get it fixed)....let's just say he sed no...and started yelling at me about it, how "it doesnt affect the way the blower runs"....i sed "i dont give a d***, i like to take care of my equipment"...anytime i pay for something that has to do with my business or my truck i like it taken care of and looking nice b.c the way my truck looks and my equipment looks is a reflection of me and how i do my job...wat an ***!!!!!!!!! :angry:

thanks for letting me vent

elizabeth

Premo Services
12-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Rule #4 Spell equipment right. EQUIPMENT, only one "T". :)

Ok made a mistake!!!!!:rolleyes:
When I get gas I always put on ticket Fuel Truck or Fuel Equipt.
thats why I put the exxxtra t in there.:dizzy:

Point is I never loan my stuff out period.