PDA

View Full Version : I need a 21 mower

2stroked
04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Well the two craftsman mowers I have are worn out, one has lost all power, and the deck on the other is falling apart. I need a decent 21in mower, but something that isn't crazy expensive. Thanks for your help.

petscanning
04-01-2012, 10:37 PM
by a used honda enough said

OakNut
04-01-2012, 11:43 PM
What do you consider "crazy expensive"?

I bought a new Toro Super Recycler at the beginning of last season for $475.

It may not be "good enough" for some, but I like it.

milkie62
04-01-2012, 11:47 PM
I have a 21" Toro commercial.Great mower but heavy since it goes in the truck.I picked up a 21" push Murray mower with a Honda engine.Wheels are plastic only but has held up to abuse for 2 seasons now.Lightweight --- can easily be lifted into truck without back strain.Also has a bagger.I like it alot.I may pickup and extra set of wheels for it just in case.Troy-bilt has the same mower in red color,mine is silver.They are both made by MTD.Right around 200 bucks but simple by design.No cables no nothing just the hand hold to kill the engine.

bohiaa
04-02-2012, 12:25 AM
WOW, this is an amazing thread...

I seen the word craftsman, and toro.

why not JSUT get a good machine and be done with it.
the last 21" I purchased was 1,200.00

I think If I hired a landscaping company and they showed up with a craftsman. I would fire them on the spot.....

But of corse it's your company

OakNut
04-02-2012, 12:36 AM
That didn't take long.

1whitetail
04-02-2012, 12:47 AM
I wouldn't get another Craftsman mower but there is nothing wrong with a lower end Toro Recycler mower if it is only going to be used around obstacles or occasionally. I have a 1998 Toro Recycler with rear self propel and it is still going strong. I don't recommend getting a front self propel. If you are going to be cutting entire yards, 5 days a week than yes get a commercial unit like the Toro Proline, Honda commercial, or Snapper commercial.

bohiaa
04-02-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm starting to think many people here are running very low end companys.

some of the post I read are amazing to me...

milkie62
04-02-2012, 01:20 AM
When I started up I had to cut corners someplace.I bought a 7x12 dump trailer with a landscape trailer tailgate.It basically covers 2 trailers---most---of the time.I also have a 3100z Ferris with bag system,a Toro 44" T-bar mower with bagger,and a 21 Toro commercial mower with bagger.Being is I only have a small trailer,a 21" trim mower needed to fit in my truck.So as to not break my back getting it out I bought a lightweight 21" push mower.It has done the job for 2 yrs now without a hitch.So with some thoughts here on low end junk---I can buy 6 of my mower over a 12 yr period and still have a decent looking mower at the end of it.You cannot tell me your pro mower is going to look "professional" after 12 yrs.To each his own on the 21" mower issue unless of course you are using it alot,then you really need the commercial type mower.

rickpilgrim
04-02-2012, 01:50 AM
After 5 ys with junk we bought used toro or JD 12 or 14sb and would get 4-5 yrs from each. We bought our 2 stroke Toro commercial in 2000 for around $900. I would do it again as it takes all the abuse my summer help gives it and still works perfect and looks nice. I would imagine you will have cheap mower #18 or so and we'll have this discussion again and that Toro commercial will still be running.
Around here craftsman and murry just scream "lowballer" and even if you have a nice uniform and nice truck if the high end contact with the insurance company/hospital/factory sees that on their lawn you will lose that contract as your percieved reliability is questioned.
We have the school/apartment complex/Insurance company contracts not because of a bid, but because they saw the blue/silver K3500 crew Dually rolling by with that red 30' gooseneck with those Toro 345 and 325D groundmasters on it day after day in summer with those green shirted guys with name tags and on those 3 accounts what we are told is "carry on", "keep up the good work" and "would you consider taking care of our other property that's xxx miles away?" In 5 yrs none of these places has asked for a bid or anything. Image is very inportant in this buisness and "junk equipment translates into "crappy yard care co" before you even get to unload it.