PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Jobs What is average time for 2 guys to spread?

justin9978f
04-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I have a couple mulch jobs that are preped and ready for mulch. I have 2 guys and 2 wheelbarrows and the furthest distance is 85ft. Hourly rate is $50 What is a good formula to calculate the labor for the jobs. Should I charge by the yard and by the time for 2 guys?

Job 1-10 cubic yds

Job 2-14 cubic yds

MR-G
04-01-2012, 11:37 PM
we charge 4.50 per 2 cu ft bag......we dont do yards ....more efficient and profitable in bags for us...you will find some that disagree though....2 of our guys can do 80 bags an hr though....

xclusive
04-01-2012, 11:41 PM
My price per yard includes installation. If I use bags I figure it out the same way.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Flat rate.75.00 bucks a yard,includes labor/material prep is extra.

Lawn132012
04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
A lot of my price for the area I am in is the ACCESS of the job and what needs to be mulched. Some jobs are quicker due to the fact I can just have the guy shovel majority of it off the truck while working so no wheel barrels. Then I have other jobs that are nothing more then wheel barrels so twice the work.

Quotes for these jobs are always a little harder for me. I must be cheap as I get the "YES, when can you show up" quickly. The funny thing is I have told different people different quotes just to see where the LINE is in the sand, sort of speak.

jrs.landscaping
04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
You almost answered your own question. We charge material+delivery and then one man hour per yard of mulch. Say material and delivery is $40 add your hourly rate to that. Prepping is always extra and just guessing by the amount of material you need I would say at least two hours prep time per job.

TriCountyLawn
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
If its more then my truck/trailer hauls then I have it delivered. I charge a flat rate per yard to install and that includes edging and weeding. Ive learned breaking it down only gives customers stuff to try and ding ya on.

Fawcett
04-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Mulch around here in Ma. is selling for around $35-40 per yard (not cheap when compared to what others are paying in other states)

When I price a job out for a customer its usually based on double the cost of the mulch.

Edging, weeding and bed prep is always hourly.

Glenn Lawn Care
04-28-2012, 06:47 PM
2 guys should be able to do a yard of mulch in under an hour. I charge $65 for a yard of mulch installed plus prep work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coffeecraver
04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
2 guys should be able to do a yard of mulch in under an hour. I charge $65 for a yard of mulch installed plus prep work.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what I do

If your guys are worth a grain of salt you should not have to worry about how much they can spread in how much time.

I spend average 21.00 per yd and charge 65.00
That is a 44.00 net per yd
The guys are paid 10.00 per hr
On the average a yd of mulch on prepared beds goes in 15 min
:)

H & M Yard Improvements
04-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I can get mulch for these prices from a supply yard nearby (per cubic yard):

Double ground: $16.00
Triple ground: $18.50
Super fine: $22.00
Brown & Black Dye: $26.50
Red Dye & Cherry Brown: $27.50
Kid Kushion playground: $20.00
Hemlock: $34.00
Cedar: $38.00
Dyed Cedars: $44.00
Wood chips: $12.00

Delivery obviously not included in these prices. I charge $50.00 per yard on top of it for installation. Prep is extra.

Would any of you believe that ive been told by many people said that it is too expensive?

CustomGrounds
04-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Im in south jersey and im buying mulch for no more then $21.00 a yard. Thats died black brown etc. Im charging anywhere from 60-70 a yard installed. Edging, weeding, and clean up is a seperate cost. Anything over 20 yards i sometimes can even drop rate to 55 a yard but depends on customer and relationship. I usually go easy on my regular weekly customers cuz they take care of me. I have a 55 yarder coming up which will be fun. MOST IMPORTANTLY! Get your mulch close to location if you have to buy a huge tarp to dump on, do it. even 30 seconds faster on 100 wheel barrel trips is bout an hour faster, three guys working for ya thats 30 bones you saved. The only time i cant get screwed on my estimates is when i price my Cleanup cheaper cuz the amount of money ill make from the mulch is good. I have gotten people who say okay do the clean up and well mulch it. Then im stuck not making much, so im learning to protect my clean up and price my mulch accordingly. I LOVE MULCH

dutchacres
05-02-2012, 04:29 PM
I average about 1.5 yards per hour for mulching. That includes unloading, spreading and clean-up. I charge $75 per yard and extra for the edging and extras. I have started renting a mulch blower which is a huge time saver! I can blow ten yards a hour with two guys and not break a sweat. It cost me $300 a day but with as much mulch as I can blow in a day I save so much labor cost it is well worth it. I rented the blower for the first time last year just to see how it worked and if it was worth it. I did a job that took three guys 2.5 days in 6 hours. I also found I used about 30% less material as well.

KYMan
05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I priced a 65 yard job at $49/yard and still got outbid. I was paying $20/ yard for the mulch. Next year I will be ready....bought a tractor, just had loader put on last week, and still trying to find a cheaper supply. That loader should be able to really speed things up.