PDA

View Full Version : help/thoughts on bid & why I don't mind taking it from them

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 01:59 AM
Ok, here is the deal on this one...Commercial...

Info I have so far....

69,000 sq ft of turf split over 5 areas
6,000 linear ft of edging

Where are you on price so far?

I will add amout of shrubery to be trimmed and area to be mulched later.

I generally don't like taking someone's job from them. But I was aked to place a bid for this account. Here is the first of a series of photos explaining why I don't mind taking this one.

How do you like the edging job?

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:00 AM
What about liquid trimmer? Didn't know Roundup was a brand of trimmer:D

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:03 AM
Is that a Medusa shrub? Crap gowing all up out of it.
Yup that's the Roundup timmer again!
Nice leaf work too don't you think?

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:05 AM
Nice trim job huh?
Good debris removal?
What leaf management!!!

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:08 AM
More great edging!
Way to be on the ball about getting up storm debris...
Yes that's down trees he has been paid and asked to remove.

BRL
12-13-2002, 02:08 AM
(second picture) If that's dead grass running all the way along the curb I'd say there might be a possibility that the customer is too cheap to pay for the correct mulch bed installation around those junipers that were planted in the wrong place. I wouldn't mow (or trim) a 5 inch strip of grass like that either. Or its possible that the current & past LMO's did not educate & or offer to correct that situation for the customer.

I'd make sure the customer actually cares & is actually willing to pay for the kind of service it sounds like you want to provide for them. Plenty of commercial clients out there that don't really care & or have the money to spend to make things look perfect, so they pay someone to keep it maintained at the easiest & cheapest way possible.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough but there were only 2 pictures when I posted, so I'll look again later.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:10 AM
More down debris
Need I say any more about this one

I'm done!

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2002, 02:24 AM
BRL

This guy has had the job for a long time and each year he gets more slack on the job. He is so comfortable in the job now that he hears the complaints but doesn't listen. Selective hearing. I hope this works as a hearing aid for him!

These are pics of some of the complaints by the way. He is paid to do the job correctly and paid well too. I have seen the contract and what is involved and paid for.

This account has deep pockets. No worries about cost. They need and want good service. They are willing to pay the price as well. They are very conserned about maintaining an attractive appearance. That's why they solicited my services. They have seen my work.

I told them I would be glad to place a bid. But I made it very clear that they shouldn't expect me to do a superb job at around the same price they are paying for the shoty service they are recieving now.

They said they expected my bid to be more and that was OK. So I'll bid!

BRL
12-13-2002, 02:27 AM
OK I think I see all of the pics now LOL

#3 Again, should be part of the mulch bed for those shrubs. I kinda like that Medusa look though LOL. Is the current contract period over? By that I mean is there still time that the current guy may be back to finish leaf clean ups, given the interruption by the big ice\snow\rain storm down there?

#4 Wrong plant in the wrong place- should be removed.

#5 If cleaning that up was requested & already paid for, that's just really wrong that its still there now.

#6 Are you sure you want to put your equipment in that area with the bad drainage situation? I wouldn't mow there until that problem was corrected.

Anyway, without seeing the contract, if the specs said that the edging would be done, leaves etc. by now, then the current guy should do them. In my experience with sites that look like that though, I would bet that the current LMO has maybe a $10,000.00 contract for the site, but your bid to do it correctly might be $15,000.00. So the client might say "hmmm... maybe I can put up with those crappy edges, some weeds in my shrubs, & a few leaves hanging around right before the end of the year." Good luck.

BRL
12-13-2002, 02:29 AM
We posted at the same time LOL. That sounds like a great situation for you. Go get it & do it right. Don't forget to save the before pictures & do soem afters next year & the year after, for the portfolio.