PDA

View Full Version : 60" vantage or grandstand owners...experience??

chariot
04-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey guys looking for some user feedback. I just demoed a 52" exmark vantage as that was the only size demo available. I'm interested in purchasing a 60" and wondering about any differences that may be of concern, specifically if there are any scalping issues, adequate power or anything else worth mentioning...? I mention the grandstand due to the similarities and don't need this to turn into a scag or wright is better debate.

Lawnut101
04-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Do you need a 60" deck? I really like my 52" Vantage. It still mows fairly quick, leaves a great cut, and fits in just about anywhere you can get a 48" walkbehind. I thought the 60" machine looked pretty nice, but seems like unless you do a lot of flat mowing, it would maybe scalp a bit more. I'm kicking around buying a 60" Vantage too.

chariot
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Yea I'm definitely getting a 60". I'm keeping my sit down but basically replacing it with the vantage. Been running 60"since about 1998 and don't wanna go back now. I know there's not as many out there as 52's but I'm hoping to hear something good or bad. Thanks guys

sjessen
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Demoed a 60" Vantage for a week. Ended up buying it. Scalping was not bad considering the size of the deck. NO worse than my 60" turf tracers actually. Am adding a couple of anti scalp wheels to the back of the deck for flotation.

Power was adequate. Hydros were smooth or at least I thought so. Takes a bit of time to get used to using it on hills but will go anywhere a turf tracer with a sulky will go. Not too bad on wet turf either.

chariot
04-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

chariot
04-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

chariot
04-03-2012, 01:04 AM
I just posted a reply but not sure where it went...anyway. I'm glad you mentioned the anti scalp wheels cause I meant to ask about that specifically, are there any that come standard on 60"?? Anyone want to mention prices that they've been quoted. I should have a price tomorrow, dealer is checking availability and trying to see what he can do on price.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
04-03-2012, 07:14 AM
There are anti scalp wheels on the front on both sides and the center. Not much negotiation of the price. $9499-500 rebate + tax.

HenryB
04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
The Scag V-Ride 60 is $7000. I like the Vantage but Exmark's pricing is crazy.

chariot
04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
And here come the scag fans...it's more than the initial price. I've rode the scag too and it's not for me. I'm considering everything over the life of the mower and at the top aside from cut quality, price and dependability is dealer support. Also, parts availability, dealer hours and things of that sort. I've owned scag in the past and they're fine mowers but that's not what I'm spending MY money on!!
Posted via Mobile Device

THG
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Are you considering buying the Grandstand or just the Exmark? In my area the Toro line is much more popular and prices are usually pretty negotiable.

chariot
04-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm leaning toward the exmark but toro not outta the running yet. I talked to a guy locally a few weeks ago and he had just purchased a 60" grandstand, carb engine and he voluntarily told me he gave $8,800 for it. I figured by the time I got the efi engine like I'm wanting that the toro wouldn't be much/any cheaper. When I talked to the toro dealer about a month ago he said he hadn't sold a efi model and didn't seem very interested, I'm guessing cause he had 2 carb models there.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
04-03-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm leaning toward the exmark but toro not outta the running yet. I talked to a guy locally a few weeks ago and he had just purchased a 60" grandstand, carb engine and he voluntarily told me he gave $8,800 for it. I figured by the time I got the efi engine like I'm wanting that the toro wouldn't be much/any cheaper. When I talked to the toro dealer about a month ago he said he hadn't sold a efi model and didn't seem very interested, I'm guessing cause he had 2 carb models there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saw the 60" Grandstand at Expo last year. It was EFi with the same price as the Exmark. Retail $9799.

to the guy who posted a scag price. I looked at one in town last year. It was $9699 without efi but did have a 29 hp engine.

Blazerfb
04-13-2012, 12:42 AM
And here come the scag fans...it's more than the initial price. I've rode the scag too and it's not for me. I'm considering everything over the life of the mower and at the top aside from cut quality, price and dependability is dealer support. Also, parts availability, dealer hours and things of that sort. I've owned scag in the past and they're fine mowers but that's not what I'm spending MY money on!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Word! I've run the Vride and its nice but I stick with Exmark. My dealer is the man! Today he even offered to lend me a golf cart to do flyers in some neighborhoods. He also told me that in the last 4 years they have only replaced two spindles on any model they've sold and it was on a mower with 1400 hours. That's a hell of a track record. Not to mention the 500 rebate as well as 0% APR for 48 mo!

Blazerfb
04-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 48 Grandstand with 23hp Kawi and the spindles SUCK. Other than that it is a BEAST. I'm selling and getting the Exmark equivalent. Spindles are no grease, closed. Decks are better IMO as well as far as flow. I would def get the Exmark if I were you, even if its just for the far superior spindles. I've replaced 4 in 2 years vs none with any of my exmarks ever....

R & R Yard Designs
04-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Lube them with two or three pumps every day and you will never have a problem just use a high temp
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
04-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Preventative maintenance is key! I ran exmark for years and hated that I could not grease the spindles. I haved replaced more exmark spindles in the 2 mowers I started out with than the 16 Deere machines I have had since. I am at one with my Deeres and that was my fault that I got to close to a drainage culvert.

Blazerfb
04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Hey everyone has their brand. Exmarks closed spindle has given me zero problems and zero maintenance. Love it. Grandstand has some rough hours on it for sure, but 4 spindles has been ridiculous. And they've been greased. Just me my opinion. I actually have had alot of success with JD 21's. I still use a JA62 that I bought in 2000 when I need it. That old Briggs starts first pull!
Posted via Mobile Device

figaroo
04-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Is Exmark not owned by Toro. So why is the spindle so different? just asking.

fobaum
04-13-2012, 11:19 PM
I have a 60'' grandstand love it, to tired to type all the things I like, I demoed both vantage and GS, and i like the ergonomics much better on the toro hard to beat the cut too, to me the turbo force deck is like a ultracut on setting A) and almost like a velocity on setting C) for wet or right of way conditions..:sleeping:

Blazerfb
04-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I have a 60'' grandstand love it, to tired to type all the things I like, I demoed both vantage and GS, and i like the ergonomics much better on the toro hard to beat the cut too, to me the turbo force deck is like a ultracut on setting A) and almost like a velocity on setting C) for wet or right of way conditions..:sleeping:

Well said! Both machines are VERY similar.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazerfb
04-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Is Exmark not owned by Toro. So why is the spindle so different? just asking.

It is. Exmark is still its own entity though, as far as some of the options on the mowers. My Exmark dealer had lots of details tho it would take me all night to describe. I just prefer the Exmark designs to that of the, very similar, toros. The exmarks have always lasted longer for me and have had waaaay less down time. The toros always had a bolt coming off or something to grease, just more maintenance. Overall they are my close second choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

figaroo
04-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks, I am wanting to but a stander but just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Doing all my research and trying to make up my mind. I have all three dealers (exmark, toro and wright) with in 20 min. So which one do I go with!
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazerfb
04-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks, I am wanting to but a stander but just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Doing all my research and trying to make up my mind. I have all three dealers (exmark, toro and wright) with in 20 min. So which one do I go with!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dude that's awesome. I have multiple Exmark and Toro dealers all around me but no Wright dealers ANYWHERE. I've been wanting to check out their mowers for years. What do you think so far of the Wright machines?
Posted via Mobile Device

luckylawnboy
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I love my 60 Grandstand. I leave the deck in the open setting except for leaves. No issues. I will never buy a sit down 60 inch rider again. If I buy a rider its a 72 from here on out. Toro stripes very well!!

Blazerfb
04-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I love my 60 Grandstand. I leave the deck in the open setting except for leaves. No issues. I will never buy a sit down 60 inch rider again. If I buy a rider its a 72 from here on out. Toro stripes very well!!

I agree, my Gstand stripes nicely even on the bermuda down here. I have the same feelings on sit downs. I have never owned one but unless I need a 72 or want a diesel ill stick with the Gstand or Vantage
Posted via Mobile Device

Triver
05-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Love my 60 grandstand 2 week st augustine growth no problem!!!