PDA

View Full Version : Who does your work when you are sick?

Andrew S
12-13-2002, 04:50 AM
here's a question what do you do when you are sick? and I am not talking about a few days either.

I'm talking about weeks or months.

Here where I mow I am part of a lawnmowing association (Our 50th annivesary this year)As a member if I get sick the other members will cover my work for as long as I am off work.In return they are entitled to 50% of the income thus giving me some income while I am sick(I also have income protection insurance)

As a member we also guaranntee not to take another members work from him.

I was just wondering if there is any other organisation that offers this service to lawnmowing contractors

thanks

Andrew:D

The Mowerdude
12-13-2002, 07:25 AM
Andrew

I wish we could put something like that together here. I worked with a group of LCOs about 6 years ago to try, but we couldn't get enough support. And it appeared to me that it would require a fairly sizeable number of members. Otherwise, pulling in the slack would place too much of a burden on too few individuals.

I also suspect that the very competitive business environment here plays a factor. Many LCOs will agree to your face and then stab you in the back, later. Also, many will take a favor, but will not return it.

Fortunately, I'm at a point where my business is growing larger and employees keep things rolling along. In the past, I simply had to belly up and keep working in spite of how sick I was. I've been very fortunate not to have had a serious illness or accident.

rodfather
12-13-2002, 07:42 AM
Great idea, Andrew. I wish I could be a part of something like that here in New Jersey.

Unfortunately though for the time being, my employees carry the weight whenever myself (or one of them) is sick. Luckily, it's never been for more than a few days.

JimLewis
12-13-2002, 11:08 AM
I never have to worry about that any more. That's the nice thing about not being a solo op. anymore. My employees could handle things on their own if I were gone for a while. And my wife, or even a friend, could handle the office. I could pretty much run this business from a hospital bed if I needed to.

Last week, I was gone for 8 days to the Bahamas and my foreman did the estimating, collected the $, made my bank deposits, handed out the paychecks, and the other guys just did their regular routes. Went smooth as could be.

PICTURE (http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/Bahamas3.jpg)

Next week, I'll be gone for another 5 days while they handle things again.

Sure, it's easier in the winter but I could really do this any time if it was absolutely necessary. My foreman would just get to enjoy some nice overtime if we did it in the spring.

HarryD
12-13-2002, 11:22 AM
jim what if your foreman went down while you were out of town . not saying he would but **** does happen

JimLewis
12-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Well, he is gone once or twice a year on vacation. But we are usually prepared for that and have a bunch of jobs lined up for his crew that don't require much of his supervision. But if I were REALLY sick (which has never happened yet) AND he were gone at the same time, I'd call one one of two friends of mine. One is a fellow LCO who has plenty of time on his hands. The other is just a contractor friend of mine who's my best friend. He could figure it out with my directions.

Also, I always operate on the thought that there are never any landscaping emergencies. If people have to wait a week or two for their clean-up or installation, that's just what has to happen. We don't often have to keep anyone waiting. But when we do, it's usually understood by our clients.

For the mowing side of things, that's just on autopilot. I have very good crews who take care of the same lawns week in and week out. They could do on for months without much help.

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Rub it in. I'm sitting here watching the snow/sleet/freezing rain dumping. Hope you had a great trip!!!! As for being sick, I am solo and should I be put out of work during mowing season, I have 4 or 5 lco's I would trust to cover my work.