PDA

View Full Version : Walker mower pricing

tmramrod91
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Was curious if I could get some input on this mower I'm looking at. Guy said its a 1991 (I don't think he knows what he's talking about) and has an 11HP "RED" engine, so he didn't know the exact engine type.

1120 hours 42" deck with GHS, said the engine smokes slightly on start up.

He buys and sells equipment but hasn't dealt with Walkers too much, and even asked me what a good price is for the mower haha.

He's asking $1500. Any thoughts on price and what year this mower actually is?

KrayzKajun
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Get the serial # off the mower and deck, call walker and have them look it up for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

tmramrod91
04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks, I'll get that from him.

Anyone else on price?

WHIPPLE5.7
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Looks pretty clean, if it runs good I'd take it.

jrs.landscaping
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
A new deck alone for a Walker is around 1500. I'd just be cautious about what you do with it. If it only has 11 HP remember how much the mower weighs, your weight and then a hopper full of grass. This is fine for flat lawns but get any type of incline and you may be at a loss for power or even end up changing hydros. First look at the oil, if its clean, open the hopper and then the front cowling. There are two alan screws next to each wheel that go to the gear boxes. Make sure the plugs don't have excess steel because a new hydo might run you around 700 bucks. If everything checks out I'd have to say buy it, even if you only run it for a couple of years it is A LOT cheaper than a new one and if you ever buy another one most of the chassis parts including the deck are interchangeable. Hope that helps.

Mountain Peak
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
If you bought it for 1500 and still had to drop a new engine in it (1200-1500) and two new hydros you would still be ok with the money you had in it. If that machine had a strong engine and everything looked good, I'd drop 5K on it. Just be careful.

Jimslawncareservice
04-03-2012, 10:44 PM
If you bought it for 1500 and still had to drop a new engine in it (1200-1500) and two new hydros you would still be ok with the money you had in it. If that machine had a strong engine and everything looked good, I'd drop 5K on it. Just be careful.
You'd really spend 5k on a 21 year old mower?? For another 5-6 you could get a new or newer one that will last 4 times or longer than that mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Earth&Turf RI
04-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I highly doubt that machine is a 1991 with the condition it's in, although the size of the engine makes it believable.

Jimslawncareservice
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I read on here that those handles are pre 97 or so. Look at the deck too. The casters look old as heck. Little old gas tank. Could have been repainted, or just a homeowner machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

tmramrod91
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I think the size of the engine and the (apparent) age of the machine are too much for me to go for this machine. I've got a Toro WB that is in great shape and cuts great, but I just love the cut of a walker and that you can bag easily with it. I might just get a bag for the Toro and call it good.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Jimslawncareservice
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I would atleast look at the mower before getting a bag for the toro. It might be worth getting the walker just for the bagging capabilities. I know the older ones. Don't bag as well as the new ones with bigger fans and opening. I recently bought a navigator, same as a walker but red. I can bag a lot faster than a ztr with bagger system. It also seems to pack more in there.
Posted via Mobile Device