PDA

View Full Version : Price to edge beds with spade before mulch application

lawnworker
04-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Okay, the majority of re mulching work that I do is simply laying it down straight, but some customers like to have a new edge put down, which I do sometimes. This year I am trying to standardize pricing on all operations.I have my mulching prices nailed down without edging. I need a good figure to add to the estimate, if they want a new 2" outline spaded out. I am looking at a per foot figure.It is nice to be able to quote a with and with out edging price. Thanks for those that help with this question.

Also, would the price be different for brand new beds- breaking bare sod?

grandview (2006)
04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, a new bed will take longer,if your just going to sharpen it up less time to do and less to haul away.Some do so much per foot edged.25-2.00 up to you. If you have a 100 ft to edge and only takes a few minutes you can do it for less. But they might not want to pay a 100 bucks for it. have to feel out each customer.

THEGOLDPRO
04-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Just price it into the install price for the mulch, And sell it that way. Say we edge, weed, and install the mulch for x amount of dollars. dont give people the option to not have it edged.

lawnworker
04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice so far. I am thinking maybe .35 cents a foot here. Does that sound about right for the average market.

Ducke
04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
.35 a foot seems awful low.
I charge and get $1.00 a foot to edge or re-edge beds here.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Just price it into the install price for the mulch, And sell it that way. Say we edge, weed, and install the mulch for x amount of dollars. dont give people the option to not have it edged.

Exactly. You should pretty much have a set price for Mulch/delivery + Installation and bed prep (edging, weeding/etc)

so cost of mulch/delivery + Install/bed prep = Price Per yard

Makes it easy on yourself and the customer this way. And yes, everyone in VA is cheap as hell.....I know ur pain. When I moved from Cape Cod to here, I almost Sh**
good luck!

lawnworker
04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
The thing is, having options can some times be the difference between getting work and not getting it. If the edging price throws a mulching job too high for some customers, having the option to say " well, if we don't edge, the price can be lowered X amount of dollars" is nice.

MDLawn
04-03-2012, 10:38 AM
The thing is, having options can some times be the difference between getting work and not getting it. If the edging price throws a mulching job too high for some customers, having the option to say " well, if we don't edge, the price can be lowered X amount of dollars" is nice.

I wouldn't want to have potential clients see a job that wasn't fully complete without edging. Looks awful in my opinion, like someone just plopped mulch onto the grass. I agree with the others in a "this is what the job costs". Breaking it into edging, trimming, mulch, etc.... seems a little weird. If you are installing a huge landscape and the options are something like hardscape or no hardscape, 10x10 patio or 20x20, berm with 10 blue spruces, water feature, etc..... Were talking thousands in price difference. For your average landscape maintenance job you're talking a hundred or two??? Plus most people don't even know how a well defined edge can make a difference. If that changes someones mind they were too cheap to begin with. What's next are they going to tell you to use cheap recycling mulch instead of the nicer products??

Sharp edges define the landscape. Not mention keep the mulch out of the grass!

ron mexico75
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

^^^I agree.

tlb lawncare
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
nice work!!

Coffeecraver
04-17-2012, 05:20 AM
If I have to create a new edge I will charge 1.35 per ft

I charge 1.00 per .ft for edging beds that already have an edge but needs to be re-defined.

It is 1.50-1.75 per ft if it also needs weeding

The more edging ,the more material to handle and dispose of

Good Luck :)

grassyfras
04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Coffee

So if I get this right for a job like this:

Weed beds in a 100 sqft area. Edge 10' of beds. Mulch 100 sqft using 1 yard of mulch the charge would be about $160 before even putting mulch down. I charge way to little if that's the case.

Coffeecraver
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
A linear ft not a sq ft
Take a wheel and measure the distance and calculate the charge by that.

:)

Oakleaf landscape
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
$1.35 a linear foot. My customers would laugh in my face. Did a job today for 725 ft. at $.35 per foot. $250 for a few hours of work. Granted we own a bed bug. No extra materials to haul off. It grinds it to fine dirt and i just rake it up into the beds.

lawnpropm
04-20-2012, 01:47 AM

Exactly, the ask for the price on a mulch install include it in the price and get your footage while you are there estimating. I want even touch it unless we do the edging on it because I put yard signs on all of our jobs.

Orrdc
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
I actually feel a little bad after reading this thread. I never bothered to look it up but I have always just charged hourly for edging. I had a job today edging that I broke down by foot after reading this and we ended up doing 2.5 per ft for 140 ft.

That said it was a long hard day, I would trade mulching 8-10 yards any day over edging, not only was it boring but we had a ton of bags of debris left over.

I also much prefer to mulch into edged beds, they look so much better IMO

Also, I may end up buying a bed edger, maybe my price wasn't so far off as I used a stick edger to create my lines and then a spade to peal them out