PDA

View Full Version : Need some help Pricing

QTM
04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Hello Folks! Farily new to the landscaping business and from Kansas. Just needing some advice on how to bid a few of my jobs. I need to figure out how to bid my jobs better to better my profits.

The job i looked at today, i think could be fairly profitable if i can get this right. Includes mulching of beds and De weeding and if i had to guess i would say about 12-15 yards of mulching for the entire property,removal of 2 dead arborvitae, tree trimming, fixing of two sprinkler heads. lots of littler stuff.

So my question is do i want to break this down or put this into an hour rate. There will be 2 guys on this job. Any advice would be of great help. Thanks

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi QTM, sounds like a routine mulch job really. What I do is charge "X" amount per yard of mulch on top of delivery + mulch amount.

EXAMPLE: (remember prices are different everywhere, so dont neccesarily go by this)

So labor for install/bed prep would be something like: $30-32 per yard installed x 15yards. (not including the mulch obviously)

So for 15 yards you would want to make something like: $450-500 on install and a little bed prep. you can always charge more for edging if there is alot to be done too.
Remember, you still should be making a decent amount off of the mulch itself with your discount too.

Charge what you want for the other stuff...but you should have a set rate for your mulch jobs IMO

15 yards of mulch shouldnt take long to move with 2 people if beds arent 100 yards apart! So definitely dont charge hourly

good luck

lawnworker
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
On the mulching alone, I would charge a minimum of 700 labor!!

QTM
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
From what i have been seeing in my area, $55-$75 per yard for the mulch. Does that sound about right? I know places are different like you said. I guess i could break it up and do a hourly on every thing else. Thanks guys for your response!!!

QTM
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
What do you guys charge for dirt work? One of my cutomers needs about a ton or so of top soil brought in and graded in her front yard. Due to a 100 year old cotton wood. How does some of your price this?

jrs.landscaping
04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
On the dirtwork material + trucking plus 10%. Then one man hour per yard to spread it. A job like this I would have a minimum bill unless you were there doing the other work. As for mulch, in my area that is almost double the contractor price at the local yard.

QTM
04-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Sorry on the price 55-75 price i meant thats labor. Material is any where from 25-35 a yard.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-04-2012, 01:15 AM
On the mulching alone, I would charge a minimum of 700 labor!!

700 seems a tad bit high to me just for labor for a regular 15 yard mulch job. 15 yards with 2 people isnt that much, assuming normal conditions. But every company is different I guess. We get Our premium hardwood cheap, so that factors in too.
Our mulch charge is $71/yard for mulch and labor, not including delivery and edging.

I know of 3 large companies (friends)in my area that charge 35 per yard for labor as well, plus edging/delivery charge.

And youre right, my math was incorrect too....
If I were charging for labor plus charging for edgingI guess I would be at 600 for labor. :hammerhead:

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Sorry on the price 55-75 price i meant thats labor. Material is any where from 25-35 a yard.

$75 per yard for labor alone?? I dont care where you live, thats high.
If you mean for mulch and labor....that sounds more reasonable.