PDA

View Full Version : How are your competitors treating you thus far??

meets1
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Here I am getting eaten alive. Did a clean up on an account three weeks ago. Guys going there to mow today - entire property is power raked, bagged, grass clippings all over. No one around, no one answers phone so try again tomorrow.

Another wantabe bought some accounts this year from a guy. Well two of his $30 accounts contacted me. Go ahead, mow, 4 step fert. app etc. Tonight I get a call from a friend, here they are mowing both accounts - right next to each other. I just mowed then friday and it didn't grow that fast.

I just dont get it. Every year it is something with these jokers.

meets1
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I attend a home/garden show every year as well. This year there were 2 new crews that started up. THey haven't taken any from me yet but I have to think in a small rural town there are now 7 of us LCO's running around with equipment and the pie keeps getting smaller all the time. Then I find that some people are out for lowest bid, others dont care and because of who you are or your father or whatever that is who they hire.

I bid one nice account. We spray it and take care of there irrigation. Well they call for a bid 3 weeks ago. I know from an inside source that they are paying x. I think WOW thats alot. I remeasure to make sure and I shoot them a price. I am less / time. I call them every other day only to here they have channels to go thru to decide lawn care. They are all about saving money when they talked with us but now when we are low bid I get the run-around.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes, that piece of pie does keep getting smaller every year. There are about 25,000 homes in my city and about 45 lawn care setups ranging from from solo to 25 employees. Plus homeowners are doing way more than ever on their own. I see guys in there 80's doing their own lawn work still. What kills me is that I used to do so well on power raking and aerating because they are more of a specialty machine that not everyone has. Well now it seems like every lawnguy in town has these items so I lose much work to that now. New aerators are like minimum of $3K, you wouldn't think everyone would just magically have one all the sudden.

jsslawncare
04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Same 'ol same 'ol here. Everybody's cutting, by June they'll be done. Heat and high gas price's always get'em.

TriCountyLawn
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Someone who cuts for half of my price isn't my competition since there not even in the same ball park. However on new calls this spring I'm 2 for 5.

nortonlawncare
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
The other LCOs in the area are great, I'e handed off jobs way out of my league to bigger guys and they trade me stuff i can handle. This winter i had one guy give me three account, just decided he had his share and wanted to give his referrals to me.
I try to be helpful even if i am the smallest outfit in the area.

MTenterprises
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
It's different in my area. Most other outfits won't even waive at you. It's like they think the other is stealing their lunch money. I waive at everyone. There are good ones and bad ones.

BlazerRidge
04-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm on good terms with a lot of LCOs in my area. I just see it as healthy competition. Now the lowballers are a whole different ballgame.

clydebusa
04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Golden rule baby.

I wave at all.

Most of the ones that I know and talk to have enough work. In fact the 1st thing out of there mouth is are you taking on more work.

Richard Martin
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
THey haven't taken any from me yet but I have to think in a small rural town there are now 7 of us LCO's running around with equipment and the pie keeps getting smaller all the time.

Only 7? Check this out. And this list doesn't include those "fly by night" low ballers. http://www.manta.com/mb_51_ALL_F53/greenville_nc?search=lawn+mowing&osp=greenville%2C+nc+lawn+mowing

We have around 85,000 residents here. When you consider that 20,000 of these people live in dorms (college students) that leaves 822 potential customers per lawn service.

And I wonder why it is taking me so long to build a good customer list. :dizzy:

jrs.landscaping
04-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe a company like that isn't some one you want to take customers from. There was a local LCO in my area that had three mowing crews and an install crew. They subbed for a local landscape and nursery company who did installs only.... Until a few years ago when the economy hit the floor. Then they decided they wanted to make a go at maintenance. They stopped referring work to him, then they took his client base. Last I heard he was a one man band with a part time helper.... all I am saying is all it takes is one bean counter to realize the mistake they are making referring work to you and how you have been taking their customers. Big companies like that will LOSE money to prove a point... I know I would.

kmzlawncare
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM
It's different in my area. Most other outfits won't even waive at you. It's like they think the other is stealing their lunch money. I waive at everyone. There are good ones and bad ones.

I'm the same way I wave at all of them and there is very few that wave back. I don't under stand there's plenty of work in my area for all the guy's that do a good job. And then there are the low ballers that are here today gone tomorrow. Last week I got 2 new job's right next to each other while I was mowing 2 guys that one of the customers called from craigslist showed up with 2 push mower's. Well they told the lady that my big mowers would rut up her yard and they was cheaper then me well she didn't care she liked the quality of our work and told the LOWBALLER she was staying with me. Well today I'm doing a yard for a customer that I have had for 4 years and she tells me some guy gave her a price cheaper then me well I told her there is always someone cheaper but they will be gone just as fast as the came. So far I still have the job

Ducke
04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
My competitors are mostly friendly, We wave as we pass each other and talk chit chat at the coffee shop. What kills me is the low ballers they won't even look you in the Eye.

rockerchris
04-04-2012, 07:04 PM
"Business is like war, without the bullets" - Phil Knight, founder and former CEO of Nike

May want to remember that.

bocas
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
You might remember he used child labor. Some people want a just and ethical world, some want a cut throat world. What do you want for your children?

Ducke
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I have even had some competitors recommend me for jobs that were just too small or that they didn't mow lawns.
It hasn't happened yet but if I'm looking at a job that's to big for me I have no problem sending it to a competitor. One hand washes the other some day it all come around to help you.