PDA

View Full Version : Wright Standers at 20% off list price

Turftiger2
12-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Has anyone taken advantage of this offer? Sounds to good to me was thinking if waiting till spring to buy one. After seeing this my plans have changed. Go to Wrightmfg.com and check it out.

burninbill
12-13-2002, 11:41 AM
I had a demo unit of the sentar and thought it way to sensitive on the controls. The unit was comfortable as can be(comparing to my turftiger), had a very clean cut, liked to deck adjustment, but thought it was way to sensitive for the speed that it has. I mean this thing will flat out fly, however I couldn't get a steady speed to keep the thing straight. My stripes looked very bad(all wavy). But it does have a slower position you can put it into but I couldn't get the gadget to undo to make the adjustment. If you can slow the thing down and get used to the controls it would be a great mower. If you need trailer space this is a great idea.

Better demo before you buy and you really want to put a good 3 or 4 hours on it before you make your decisions.

Jon Walker
cutting edge lawn and landscape

coonman
12-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Yes, Our local dealer has the 36inch stander for 4,100. We plan on getting one before they go back up.

Willoscape
12-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Just purchased 2 52"w 19h.p. electric start models. Great deal buy now no payments till april and 20% off !!!!! We demoed this season and loved the cut . Takes a little gettin used to but once you get the hang of it you will be blowin by the walk behinds!!!!!

Doc Pete
12-14-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by burninbill
I had a demo unit of the sentar and thought it way to sensitive on the controls. The unit was comfortable as can be(comparing to my turftiger), had a very clean cut, liked to deck adjustment, but thought it was way to sensitive for the speed that it has. I mean this thing will flat out fly, however I couldn't get a steady speed to keep the thing straight. My stripes looked very bad(all wavy).

That's what I found, too. Being forced to keep constant pressure on the controls, so that any bumping moved your hand position, made it impossible for to feel comfortable mowing close to grave stones. Since you have no fixed part to hold on/reference, and your fingers/hands have to stabilize you "and" control speed, it's just too unfriendly for me. I brought my demo back the same afternoon.
Pete

GrassCtr
12-15-2002, 05:21 AM
Try a Hustler mower and all your problems will be gone!

KLMlawn
12-15-2002, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
That's what I found, too. Being forced to keep constant pressure on the controls, so that any bumping moved your hand position, made it impossible for to feel comfortable mowing close to grave stones. Since you have no fixed part to hold on/reference, and your fingers/hands have to stabilize you "and" control speed, it's just too unfriendly for me. I brought my demo back the same afternoon.
Pete

That is what the center bar (between the two control levers) is for. You grab the lever itself with your thumb and place your fingers on the yellow stabiler bar, and just sqeeze enough pressure to make it go as fast or as slow (on either lever) as you want to control the speed and direction of the machine.
Yes, they can fly and are great for saving trailer space and for getting in tight corners of your properties.
Just have to remember, it probably took ALL of us a day or two to get used to using a w/b, a ZTM (Walker, Scag, etc.) so just give it a chance and get used to it. Wright makes a nice product that will increase production and is no harder to work on than most other machines utilizing similar concepts ... example - changing blades, adjusting deck height, etc.
Sorry, but i still have issues with some of the hustler designs ... probably is a godd machine, but just not what is common in my area.

Doc Pete
12-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by KLMlawn
Sorry, but i still have issues with some of the hustler designs ... probably is a godd machine, but just not what is common in my area.

Don't get me started either:p I love my Hustler WB's, BUT, I had to do all the work to get them there. I've been so pissed off at them, that I almost sold my machines just out of spite. However, now there are the best, but I'd never recommend spending the time and money to get them there.
Pete

Grass Master
12-18-2002, 10:26 PM
Believe me...there is a reason that Wright is selling their units so cheap. They don't sell.....there are very few to none in my area. Great Dane owns the market as far as stand on units are concerned. Now that John Deere is behind them I feel that things will get even better!

Just had an opportunity to see the new 2003 riders from Great Dane. Awesome, heavy duty units at a very good price! $7399 for a 61" 25 HP rider

KLMlawn
12-19-2002, 02:52 AM
Well, Great Dane sales were better around here till ...
1) Local LCO's realized Wright does make a very nice product line.
2) Dane was really only copying an already patented concept from Wright.
3) Support and parts on Dane is NOT the same as on Scag ... why?
Because Scag never made them ... they subbed the work out to a third party that has now been sold to John Deere (another manufacturer who's products live on the laurels of being solid and reliable).
Dane sales in general have diminished in this area since their debut, not many of the Scag dealers still carry them on the floor. About half of the other LCO's I see have at LEAST ... 1 Wright mower, if not a complete set.

Oh, and why are they discounting them ... a great incentive to move their product year round ... they only offer the 20% during the fall-winter months, they do still offer discounts other times of the year, but not as much. Why only sell a product 6-8 months when you can sell them all year long ... personally, I think it is a great marketing plan, not as a way to try and move dead stock.
They are selling their 61" Stander w/ 25 HP Kawi for $5963.
I would definately go ahead and buy another Wright Stander for over $1400 in savings over a Great Dane, especially seeing as it is twice the machine ... it is a NO BRAINER !!!

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 07:30 AM
Yeah...it's a no brainer all right EXCEPT for the unlucky customers that recently purchased a unit a full price!!!!!

Wright is dumping old inventory plain and simple.

I would like to see the manufacturing dates on the engines on these machines. As a matter of fact, I am going to go to my local dealer and do just that.

That will make for some interesting news! (If I can still find a local dealer that is........)

captdevo
12-19-2002, 08:59 AM
1) Local LCO's realized Wright does make a very nice product line.

---yes, they make a nice machine, but there are other machines available too.

and dealer, distributor and manufacturer support should play an important role in purchases........

2) Dane was really only copying an already patented concept from Wright.

---so a mfg. feels they perfected someone elses design...........as with alot of other manufacturers.

Big Deal.

i heard Wright did this with the Gobbler!!

But the original mfg. didn't throw a fit and sue them, then 'sue happy' Wright thought they would sue another collector mfg. which backfired!!

3) Support and parts on Dane is NOT the same as on Scag ... why?

---not the same...BETTER now John Deere dealers can service Great Danes TOO!

http://www.rpm-co.com/images/main_supersurfer.jpg

cajuncutter
12-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by GrassCtr
Try a Hustler mower and all your problems will be gone!

I agree!! Why not just get s Shortcut. You can stand, sit, kneel kick your feet up on the shields to the pumps etc etc. Gone through 4 seasons with 2 to 3 hours down time and the most expensive part being replaced was my tires, second the long belt. Other than that I have not had any problems to be solved. Well ok..I would like Hustler to come out with a back support for the banana seat:D

mowerconsultant
12-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by cajuncutter
Other than that I have not had any problems to be solved. Well ok..I would like Hustler to come out with a back support for the banana seat:D

Hustler has had a back rest for many years for the shortcut.

Part # 337816 - ShortCut Seat Backrest - $98

Call your dealer and order one......

Later
Pj

morturf
12-19-2002, 01:48 PM
echo rules, I don't think you get it, what they are doing is getting the order ahead with 20% down then take delivery in the spring and you pay the balance. This way they can smooth out the demand peaks with manufacturing valleys. I bet if you go to your dealer that the engine will have a early mfg date on it. But if you order one it will get made sometime over the winter. Read the Wright website to understand the program.
BTW, the Wright is a whole lot better on the hills than the Deere/Dane. Just the physics.
mike

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Morturf, no....I think that YOU don't get it.

If you go to their website, they are selling their units at 20 percent off right now. NOT 20 percent down.

These units are not selling and they are coming up with drastic measures to try and move old inventory.

Again, check engine manufacturing dates. They never lie......

By the way..the Great Dane is a much better overall machine including hills! My guys can fly on hills and straightaways.

morturf
12-20-2002, 12:05 AM
echo........i was wrong....you only put 5% down now and the balance when you take delivery @ 20% off the retail. Look at this site for the info.
http://www.wrightmfg.com/rightwright.pdf
if that is legal here.

His concept is sound......spread out the demand for the product and thereby limit inventory costs, idle assembly line and such. This is the biggest thing in manufacturing, retailing, and parts houses. Holding inventory costs lots of money. That is why now most service departments have to get the part overnighted (charging the customer for the shipping cost) and not hold the part in their inventory. I think maybe he is trying to implement an MRP system that will make the line flow thru the year if this demand gimmick will work thereby having mowing operations in the upper tier of the country hold the inventory over the winter. Makes sense to me.

As for hills, I just know my Wright is better than the GD I ran on my hills. This is in my case...maybe there is something about the hills here?

Don't want to get into a he said, he said thing, so i am done.

brucec32
01-28-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Echo rules
Morturf, no....I think that YOU don't get it.

If you go to their website, they are selling their units at 20 percent off right now. NOT 20 percent down.

These units are not selling and they are coming up with drastic measures to try and move old inventory.

Again, check engine manufacturing dates. They never lie......

By the way..the Great Dane is a much better overall machine including hills! My guys can fly on hills and straightaways.

Of course we all know you're right, but perhaps you might indulge us anyway and back your claims up w/ some facts, lest someone assume you're speaking out of your backside. Seen their company report lately? Last 3 years sales figures? No?

Lots of businesses offer discounts during slow periods to spur sales. Ever hear of GM? They're offering $3000 rebates on Silverados and Sierras, which combined(made at the same factories) are the best selling vehicle in the US. Discounts don't always mean the product is a dog. Sounds to me like Wright Mnfg. is being smart and trying to smooth out production by making more sales during slow times and charging more when sales are high. It also helps their cash flow a bit in the winter with the deposits.

And based on what I read at their website, why would a mnfg. date on a mower at a dealer indicate anything about a mower that hasn't been built yet and will be delivered in a month or so after you put down a 5% discount? It's not like any dealer actually stocks more than a few at a time anyway. They'd have no place to put them. And should we inspect the dealers' back storage area too? Because if they did have extra units piling up, that's where they'd be, still in crates.

Finally, I hardly think "you never see them" qualfies as thorough market research. Besides, you never saw many cars on the road till they came up with the model T.

nelbuts
01-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Here is a news flash for you.
Scag never made the Great Dane. In fact the Distributor in FL never had them in their warehouse. The first distributor that stocked them in FL was a Sanpper Dist. in fact Dane Scag designed several commercial mowers for Snapper.

I was unaware that Great Dane was sold to Deere. But I can assure you of one thing deere does not make all of their equipment either.

As Far as Wright goes he copied many designs and just made small so called improvements. So don't blast the Dane for that.

The sales may be old stock and may not be. Dealers floor plan these mowers and during the slow periods manufactures will design programs to help theri dealers move their floor plan. BTW it is true about buying at the end of the month. Watch a dealers floor and if a mower you like is setting there for over three to four months start dealing!

Don't let them tell you differently but if they are asking MSRP for a mower then they have at least 30% to play with.

How do I know? I was once a Scag Gold Dealer, Sold Toro, Snapper, Grasshopper, Echo, Robyn, Lawn Boy.
:D

lawn and stump
01-28-2003, 10:41 AM
I just took delivery of my second Wright Sentar. I ordered it on line Dec 30 and got 20% off list. The local dealer called me on Jan 15 and I picked it up Jan 20. If you order in Jan I think it is only a 14% discount. Great mower great price!

brucec32
01-28-2003, 11:01 PM
Last night while searching for more info on the Wright stander and sentar, I came accross a news story that included the fact that Wright Manufacturing's sales went up 30% that year. Not sure if they were referring to 2001 or 2002, probably the former. But still, I guess things aren't quite so bad there after all.