PDA

View Full Version : 61" Deck vs. 72" Deck

SnowSon
04-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Hello, I am looking to buy a new Ferris ZTR. I do not mow commercially any more as I got out of the business a couple of years ago. However, I now own 6 acres with a pond that I have to mow and am considering which Ferris to buy.

1. Ferris IS2000 with a 61" Deck
or
2. Ferris IS3100 with a 72" Deck

There is a little difference in price, which I am okay with paying the extra for the Vanguard Big Block motor. However, I am interested in what everyone thinks of a 72" deck and the quality of the cut. I am told by some that it will scalp easier than the 61" deck. Is this true? Is it that much to be concerned about?

Is it still true knowing that the majority of my land is flat and the only real hills are around my pond?

Very interested in what everyone thinks. I need to buy a mower this week.

Thanks!

ashgrove landscaping
04-03-2012, 02:24 AM
I say go with the 3100 61" and 32 vanguard. The 72 is just too much. Spend the extra time with another beer. I own one and a 2000 ferris. Both are super and great but the 3100 is extra cush and power. Hills are a breeze with it as well. Just as good as my 61" ferris walk behind believe it or not.

2ExploreTech
04-03-2012, 02:48 AM
I have a 6ft.

If you have any areas that are wavy or rough it may cut uneven. I find that criss-cross will take care of that. Part of the main yard I cut is hilly, rough and in desperate need of a major overhaul (still has a thick sod) and it cuts best if I go diagonally to the hill. I honestly haven't noticed scalping any more than with a 5ft or 52".

You'll be fine unless you find yourself having to go between obstacles (I'm guessing your land is all open, but you didn't state that).

As far as the Ferris versions scalping or not, I don't know. Haven't used them so I'll leave that to others

ShooterK2
04-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Subscribing. I'm interested in the scalping issue as well. All my lawns are Bermuda, and scalping (aka: cutting down to the brown stem, making the grass look "scalped", even though it is not to the dirt) is a huge no-no.

For this reason (as well as small gates on many of my yards), I use a 36" walk-behind. Should I ever decide to move up in size, however, I would like to hear opinions.