PDA

View Full Version : How to price removing old mulch and putting in new mulch

DanielRoden
04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I have a custome who hass three large flower beds and trees, and wants me to remove and haul off around three to four yards of old red mulch using a rake and a wheel barrel and my equipment trailer. Then he is delivering 10 yards of new mulch to replace the old mulch and also place around all of his trees. The trees are scattered over 2 acres.
i will have acces to a tractor with a bucket. I will have one helper and am not sure what to charge. What do you guys suggest???

Dr.NewEarth
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Leave the old mulch in place and allow it to decompose. Top dress the new mulch over top of the old mulch.

Labour rates should be perhaps $200 to $280 per day per person. Only you know what your overhead and labour costs are and how long it will take to do the job. Don't forget the dump cost and your time to go to the dump, do the deed, and drive back.

If you scape off the old mulch you may damage small roots that have grown into it too.

DanielRoden
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
He will not let me leave the old mulch because he is puttong in a type of organic mulch. I beleive he has the weed preventing felt down below the existing mulch. The mulch he has is the red painted stuff. Do youo know hoe well it will decompose?

Tizzy
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
most of the stuff thats down has probobly already started decomposing on the bottom. and i hate pulling old mulch out. but if they want it price it.

for me you got to figure he needs 10 yds of mulch like you said so your going to remove around 10 yds of mulch maybe more depending how many time its been remulched. and its going to be decomposed so its going to be around 1.5ton per yd

so figure 15 tons for removal thats 1 truck load.

i bill $225 per truck load plus $75 per ton for removal.

so id be $225 for the truck load plus $1125 for 15 ton. for a total of $1350 for removal and disposal. that does not include the labor to get it out of the beds and into the truck. 1 man figure around 8 hrs to pull up 10yds of mulch and load it. total would be around $1800 just for Labor,Removal,Disposal.

Dr.NewEarth
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
This clients sounds like a cheap skate to me, if he's bought the landscape fabric and is paying for the mulch.