PDA

View Full Version : whats wave mean to you?

Jimslawncareservice
04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Recently I was doing a derhatching job. 2 nieghbors came out, waved, I waved back, and they went inside. So I finish and leave. A minute later lmy phone rings. A lady said " didn't you see me wave? And why didn't you do mine". As I'm talking to her my call waiting beeps. It the guy a few houses down who waved. He left a message,very similar to what the lady was talking about. Is there something new out there that I.don't know about? It kinda made me chuckle after I got done explaining to them that it was a mis understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscraper1
04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Maybe they think you should be waved down like a cab driver??

easy-lift guy
04-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Just explain to them that the meter has been running since you got their call for work.
easy-lift guy

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Maybe they wanted you to do their yard too?????

JimLewis
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Maybe they were tying to get your attention. Like, "Hey! Once you're done over there, please come by and talk to me."

But like you, I would have just assumed they were waiving. I honestly hate it when I get flagged down by a neighbor. Most of the time, it's a waste of my time. But then again, I'm mostly dealing with the landscape construction side of the business. And all too often, people flag me down and say, "Hey! We're looking at getting some landscaping done too. Do you have time to look at my yard?" And the thing is 1) most of the time I don't have time. My schedule is already full with pre-qualified customers who are really ready to go and can afford us and 2) most of the time they have no clue what landscaping costs and are shocked to hear that their neighbor just dropped $25K on their new back yard. So it ends up being a total waste of time.

But I know similar things happen on the maintenance side. Back when I was mowing lawns myself I would get stopped by neighbors all the time. Most of them didn't want to pay more than $25 for something I was already doing for $50 for their neighbor. So even most of those ended up being a waste of time for me.

Over the years, I just learned not to get too excited about people flagging me down. I'd rather they just call the office and get qualified before I go meet with them.

grandview (2006)
04-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Get with the program,if she waving side to side she's looking for a date. If she gives a wave downward it means come over and do mine!

Jimslawncareservice
04-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I just don't know why they didn't just come talk to ne when I was done, or call my phone. My number is on the truck on both sides. And how did they know it was me, the owner, not an employee? Well today I dethatched the ladies yard, and have to call her on some shrub removal. I sometimes blame the email and text for the lack of peoples communication skills. Whatever ever happened to " hi I'm so and so I like your work, do you have time for mine" or something like that. That's if they know its an owner doing the work.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
04-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Would prefer the old wave a 20 dollar bill and plow my driveway?

Jimslawncareservice
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Would prefer the old wave a 20 dollar bill and plow my driveway?
Sure, ill go plow drives for 20. It's easy money, and you can do it in short sleeves and don't have to worry about salt or any of that crap. But I think you would be thrown in the nut house if went plowing now
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
The woman I can understand, as they all think men should be effin' mind readers and know what they want without speaking, but the guy? Man, that's a mystery.