PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sprinkler system

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Got a new account and the guy is a renter. he has never seen the sprinkler system run but is pretty sure there is no problems, just needing programmed. I am searching for a manual in hopes that I am forgetting something. I am unable to get it on either. Again, maybe my fault. Here are some pics.. The one with the hose over the water main.. the black elbow you see with on/off handles, when you turn it on, water comes out of it and doesnt seem right. maybe something is busted? but it comes out semetrically on the bottom of the top piece. this is to the left of the next picture where you see the electrical box . the shortest pipe you see is coming from the garage obviously, but this holdes what i think is the electrical wires from inside the garage where the timer is.

any help is appreciated. Just trying to figure out how to get this on when i go to set it. I am pretty sure i turned it on for manual programming when i was there but no water came out. . .

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZicJDwELpVI/T3r0Z6xwrpI/AAAAAAAAwWY/hs_nbzwnqk4/s800/IMG_0295.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uCjR8HV_1Zk/T3r0ZxRRCZI/AAAAAAAAwWQ/yEe1NKtoR_A/s640/IMG_0296.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ENeB6DnSwNw/T3r0aB-0pYI/AAAAAAAAwWM/V4PDtDLG9ow/s640/IMG_0294.JPG

RigglePLC
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
One of the valves with the green handle attached to PVC riser and back flow preventer is on...the other is off.
Controller is off. Try "auto" and then manual start.

Kiril
04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Water will come out until the PVB is under full pressure. If it continues to come out even under full pressure then you need to find someone to rebuild and test it. You should probably have someone come out and test the PVB regardless anyhow.

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 10:40 AM
by looking at this picture, which should be on and off? top left or side right? also, how long until this pressure is built and should stop flowing out? 2 min? 20?

Kiril
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Ball valve handles are always open when the handle is parallel with the pipe, with a few exceptions which you will likely never see. The upstream ball valve is closed in the pic. Slowly open it, but once it is fully open and the pipe line and PVB are under full pressure, the PVB should stop dumping. If it doesn't, then either there is a problem with the PVB or the supply.

If you want to test just the PVB, then close the downstream BV and open the upstream BV slowly. If it continues to dump, then you will likely need to rebuild the PVB, which is something you need to have someone qualified do. The only other thing you could do is verify the supply pressure by attaching a pressure gauge on the PVB test ports.

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
so both need to be parallel with the pipe (open)?

how long to build the pressure? if i wait 10 min and it is still dumping should i cut it off and call someone at this point? i will be back Saturday morning to troubleshoot this and hope to get it all situated but do not want to overstep my knowledge (or yours lol)

Kiril
04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
so both need to be parallel with the pipe (open)?

For normal system operation, yes. To test just the PVB, close the downstream (left-horizontal valve) and open the upstream (right vertical valve that is closed in the pic). The PVB should stop dumping within seconds after you open the upstream valve fully, not minutes.

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
perfect. understood. and if it doesnt shut off, walk away and call someone to repair. otherwise, this sprinkler system should always have both open and programming should work.

if i remember correctly though, i had both open and didnt stop.. we shall see though.

thanks again for your help!

Kiril
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
perfect. understood. and if it doesnt shut off, walk away and call someone to repair. otherwise, this sprinkler system should always have both open and programming should work.

Not necessarily (see bold). There are many other things that could go wrong, not just the PVB. Your best bet here is call a certified backflow tester regardless.

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
not necessarily? what isn't?

what i got from this is that i should open both for normal operating conditions. since the one on the right is closed, slowly open and let pressure build. should stop dumping within seconds. if it doesn't stop dumping, close the valve and call a tech.

isn't this the best steps?

Kiril
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
not necessarily? what isn't?

The controller isn't on for starters.
It may not be programmed correctly.
There may be wiring issues.
There may be valve issues.
There may be lateral issues.
There may be sprinkler issues.

what i got from this is that i should open both for normal operating conditions. since the one on the right is closed, slowly open and let pressure build. should stop dumping within seconds. if it doesn't stop dumping, close the valve and call a tech.

isn't this the best steps?

Yes, to turn the system on. Even if the PVB stops dumping like it should, that doesn't mean the system will work. Following me?

Tha5150
04-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Gotcha. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device