PDA

View Full Version : New mower using oil during "break-in"

pvbooner
04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a new mower use a little oil during the break in period. I bought a new cheetah with a 34 kohler this year, checked the oil at three hours and it was fine, checked it again at 18 hrs and it was a little low. Is this normal for a new mower? Dealer says that it is normal.

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Hopefully you performed your first oil/filter change at 8 hours.

You didn't say whether or not you did that in your post, but you should have did at at 8. That's the std recommended break-in oil change interval. The stuff that comes in new engines is almost like water. It is designed to allow the rings and piston to wear in and seat properly.

It is common for a new engine to use oild a little until they have 50-100 hours on them, even after changing the oil initially at 8 Hours. They just need time to wear in completely.

lawns Etc
04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Id recommend using KOHLER OIL its the best in their engines

pvbooner
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
My book said 20 hours so I have not changed it yet. Will probably be doing it before I run it again.

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Interesting.

My new Kohler bought last year said 8 hours, and I've read several other posts here where to poster said the same thing about their new Kohlers. My new Kawi bought last week says 8 hours as well.

chip25521
04-03-2012, 07:45 PM
When I bought my pro v I was told to change the oil at 10 hours. The book could say 8 though, I haven't really read it through yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

pvbooner
04-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Just went back through my book and found one place that said 20 hours and one place that said 8 hours. Mine actually had 16.5 not 18 and I just changed it tonight. Hopefully everything is good. The oil that was in it looked normal weight so hopefully everything is fine.

dahammer
04-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I bought a new Scag Tiger Cat with a Kohler CV740 (27HP) at the end of the season ;ast year. The Scag manual says the "check" the engine oil at 8 hours and to change it at 20 hours, then change it at 100 hours and every 100 hours thereafter. Both the Kohler service manual and owner's manual say to change it every 100 hours and there is no mention of any "break-in" oil change. The oil in mine appears to be standard Kohler engine oil and isn't thin like water. Mine has 18.8 hours on it and I am going to change it tomorrow for the first time.

Ridin' Green
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
I was kind of exaggerating when I said "like water" just for affect. It is much thinner though, and has less lubricating protective qualities so that the internals can all wear in to each other, and the rings can seat. It is not good to go for very long with the oil that any new mower comes shipped because too much wear can take place and ruin any chance that the engine will give long life use. I always follow the manual instructions on break-in periods and first oil change for that reason.

weeze
04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
my kawi engine used oil until about 75-100hrs. i changed it at 8hrs, 50hrs, and 125hrs. there's much debate about how often to change the oil. the manual says every 100hrs (after initial break-in) but alot will say do it every 50hrs. i've decided to just change it around every 75hrs and go with it.

dahammer
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Perhaps they are delivered to the mower manufacturer dry and they put the initial oil in it and that is the difference in the recommended breakin period? You'd think the Kohler manual would specify but it makes no mention of a breakin oil change.

I'll probably change mine every 50 hours after the initial change. I'm leary of the Mobile 1 synthetic though. The last new Kohler I had (a Courage) starting smoking badly at startup and randomly while mowing after I switched it to Mobile 1.
Posted via Mobile Device

pvbooner
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I talked to kohler yesterday and they did say the the engines are sent out dry. Another thing that I cant figure out is the kohler book says the cv940 takes 3.1 quarts of oil. When I changed mine yesterday it took 2.1. Only thing that I can figure out is that it was a typo.

TheOctagon
04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
I talked to kohler yesterday and they did say the the engines are sent out dry. Another thing that I cant figure out is the kohler book says the cv940 takes 3.1 quarts of oil. When I changed mine yesterday it took 2.1. Only thing that I can figure out is that it was a typo.

Thats odd when i changed oil on my 34 it took 3 quarts. I like that kohler added a quart to the large engines. I wish they were 4 or 5 quarts.

dahammer
04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

Did you change the filter?

Alan0354
04-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Should change oil in less than 8 hours. New engine need to be worn in and there will be a lot of metal shaving. Should get rid of it asap.

I change oil on my crappy Troybilt in like 3 hours or so, it was pitch black metallic silverish!!! After two oil change, used oil look normal again. I know you have better engine, but this still apply particular if you don't have a filter.

I like Mobil I, if I use it in my car, I'll use it in my mowers.

pvbooner
04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes I changed the filter. I talked to my dealer today and he told me that he has never seen a 34 that held 3 quarts. Told me off the top of his head exactly how much it took and was right. Dealer said they had made several calls in the past to find out why it says 3.1 courts and had not gotten a strait answer, he said he would call again and let me know if he heard anything.

dahammer
04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Yes I changed the filter. I talked to my dealer today and he told me that he has never seen a 34 that held 3 quarts. Told me off the top of his head exactly how much it took and was right. Dealer said they had made several calls in the past to find out why it says 3.1 courts and had not gotten a strait answer, he said he would call again and let me know if he heard anything.

Did he have any input as to when the initial oil change is due? I changed mine yesterday at 19 hours. It looked/felt like standard oil to me. It was dark, but not overly so. The Kohler oil is really light colored (almost clear) when new though.

MOturkey
04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm guessing here, but I am pretty sure the "8 hour" oil change is an arbitrary number they have come up with based on the average work day. In other words, run your new engine for a day, then change the oil to get rid of any contaminants left from the manufacturing process. I seriously doubt it makes much difference if you do it at 4 hours, 8 hours, or 18 hours.

pvbooner
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
One part of the scag book says 10 hours and one says 20. I ended up changing mine between the two and will change it again at 50. Then at 100 I will switch to the synthetic stuff. I told the guy at kohler this and he said that is sounded like a very good plan. I can't believe the enging manfacturer does not give any recomendations. The kohler book just says every 150 hours which is crazy!!

willowick
04-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Hopefully you performed your first oil/filter change at 8 hours.

You didn't say whether or not you did that in your post, but you should have did at at 8. That's the std recommended break-in oil change interval. The stuff that comes in new engines is almost like water. It is designed to allow the rings and piston to wear in and seat properly.

It is common for a new engine to use oild a little until they have 50-100 hours on them, even after changing the oil initially at 8 Hours. They just need time to wear in completely.

Huh. My dealer had me switch out the oil and oil/fuel filters at 5 hours. He said that was enough to run any schmutz out of the 27hp Kohler engine.

It was an easy change.

Yes, the first few times I fired up the mower it blew blue puffs for a second. No longer happens. Doesn't use a drop of oil.

I know a lot of folks diss Kohler but the engine really runs nicely and is getting better on fuel as the hours pile on.