PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind Mower

thielkinglawn
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Good Afternoon,
I am currently in the market for a new walk behind mower. I would like to get a 48"+ hydro. What is the best option in this market? From what I have learned after talking to dealers is Scag is good but expensive. Bobcat offers the best bang for the buck. And not sure about the Ferris.

Any advice or recommendations?

thielkinglawn
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
nothing? surely someone has to have used/bought/researched these. Maybe everyone is still working.

BlazerRidge
04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I have a 52'' scag walkbehind right now in my mowing setup and i've owned others in the past. They are top notch mowers and I wouldn't own anything but Scag

kennc38
04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
nothing? surely someone has to have used/bought/researched these. Maybe everyone is still working.

You waited a whole hour since your first post and ask why nobody has responded? Good grief people are so impatient these days. Maybe everyone is out cutting grass and haven't had time to respond yet? Just a thought.

Fwilamosky
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
snapper pro sw30 is a great hydro floating deck walk behind. easy to control and to maintain

MTenterprises
04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Exmark turf tracer all the way.

thielkinglawn
04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
How about the controls on the scag, snapper and exmark? Easy to use? reverse simple?

Has anyone used the z control bobcat?

BlazerRidge
04-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Scag controls are extremely simple.

Set Apart Lawn Care
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
This is just my opinion but I do not like scag walk behinds. In fairness it was belt driven and my other mower is a Gravely 36" hydro. Out gravely has been awesome, it is our main mower and has never had a problem. I am always surprised at how much pwer it has for a 15hp 36" walk behind.

I dont know what you are using it for, but the floating deck is worth every penny because of how easy it is to adjust the height

jiggz
04-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz
04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
My 48 bobcat beltdrive is more comefortable to use then the 36 scag hydro ive ran.. Bobcat is a great mower that often gets overlooked and they have a new deck on em with a wider discharge that should help there discharge..ive never ran a ferris but ive put my hands on a comfort control 60 something and i know this means nothing but it just felt like it would be a joy to use all day.. Plus there icd deck is similar to scags

velocity so the cut should be close..ive never needed a reverse in my life..i just pull the machine back especially with pistols its quicker for me that way.. so i dont see the need for a hydro.. You should also go check out the toro t-bar that is an amazing drive system! I got a belt drive toro that is a dream to use.. Ive always been of the mindset. That if you need a hydro get a ztr..anything else go belts unless you live in Seattle
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
My 48 bobcat beltdrive is more comefortable to use then the 36 scag hydro ive ran.. Bobcat is a great mower that often gets overlooked and they have a new deck on em with a wider discharge that should help there discharge..ive never ran a ferris but ive put my hands on a comfort control 60 something and i know this means nothing but it just felt like it would be a joy to use all day.. Plus there icd deck is similar to scag

velocity so the cut should be close..ive never needed a reverse in my life..i just pull the machine back especially with pistols its quicker for me that way.. so i dont see the need for a hydro.. You should also go check out the toro t-bar that is an amazing drive system! I got a belt drive toro that is a dream to use
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM
exmark turf tracer

ShooterK2
04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
How about the controls on the scag, snapper and exmark? Easy to use? reverse simple?

Has anyone used the z control bobcat?

I had a Scag 36" belt drive a couple of years ago. Got it used for $1000 (I think it was a 2006 model. Had the Advantage deck) and ran the crap out of it for a season. It had a 15 hp Kawasaki on it and it was plenty of power. Left a nice cut. I can't say anything bad about that machine, except that it was a belt drive (hard to turn when riding on a sulky without tearing up the grass), and the pistol grips made my wrists/hands hurt (carpal tunnel).
I had no problems at all with it that whole season.

I sold it and bought a brand new Bob-Cat hydro 36" walk behind with Z-controls. It has the 16-hp Kawasaki on it (again, plenty of power), and the controls (once you master them) are a dream come true. My hands never hurt from mowing anymore. It's easy to turn it without damaging the turf, and, in thick Bermuda, it leaves a great cut. It has way more suction than the Scag had (may just be the blades. Stock on both units), and will throw grass way farther than I want sometimes.

I wouldn't be afraid of Scag or Bob-Cat either one. I can't compare to other brands, as these are the only two I've had, but I know Toro makes a machine with controls similar to my Bob-Cat.

TriCountyLawn
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
If comfort matters look at Hustler and Toro's with T-Bar controls.

thielkinglawn
04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies, great input.

I am using the mower to replace an old 36 snapper hydro with the controls on top. Would love to have something similar to that, but haven't seen anything similar in years.

mpiccoli
04-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I had a Scag 36" belt drive a couple of years ago. Got it used for $1000 (I think it was a 2006 model. Had the Advantage deck) and ran the crap out of it for a season. It had a 15 hp Kawasaki on it and it was plenty of power. Left a nice cut. I can't say anything bad about that machine, except that it was a belt drive (hard to turn when riding on a sulky without tearing up the grass), and the pistol grips made my wrists/hands hurt (carpal tunnel).
I had no problems at all with it that whole season.

I sold it and bought a brand new Bob-Cat hydro 36" walk behind with Z-controls. It has the 16-hp Kawasaki on it (again, plenty of power), and the controls (once you master them) are a dream come true. My hands never hurt from mowing anymore. It's easy to turn it without damaging the turf, and, in thick Bermuda, it leaves a great cut. It has way more suction than the Scag had (may just be the blades. Stock on both units), and will throw grass way farther than I want sometimes.

I wouldn't be afraid of Scag or Bob-Cat either one. I can't compare to other brands, as these are the only two I've had, but I know Toro makes a machine with controls similar to my Bob-Cat.

Just out coursioty how much did it cost you because I am in the market for either that or the 48 and the 48 is 5390. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

thielkinglawn
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
mpic - I was quoted the following on the bobcat;
36" pistol grip hydro - $4700
36" z control hydro - $4500
48" pistol grip hydro - $4800
48" z control hydro - $4650

mpiccoli
04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
mpic - I was quoted the following on the bobcat;
36" pistol grip hydro - $4700
36" z control hydro - $4500
48" pistol grip hydro - $4800
48" z control hydro - $4650
Thanks. I think I am probably going to buy the 48" and go with the 16 hp. Instead of the larger engine. Do you think the 16 will be able to handle a velke?
Posted via Mobile Device

BestImpressions99
04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
King, not sure where you are but the best model is dealer location. There's another model to consider. Demo demo demo. Seriously am getting like other older members here (not as in age but as in time on the forum). Search Bobcat vs Scag or Scag vs Ferris. Tons of stuff on here with testosterone slinging. Look in your area. Who sells the commercial products (and NOT Home Depot or Lowes) closest to your house or shop? Then go and demo the unit, be it Bobcat or Ferris or Scag. If you don't like it go out a bit farther to the different brand that 's left... i.e Ferris or Scag if you didn't like Bobcat. Test them, etc. etc. etc. You'll find in the long run dealer loyalty will get you a long way. It's a lesson hard learned here for myself.

ShooterK2
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Just out coursioty how much did it cost you because I am in the market for either that or the 48 and the 48 is 5390. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

It's been a while now, so I don't remember the exact number, but I think I paid a couple hundred more than that for mine, and mine is a 36".

thielkinglawn
04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
King, not sure where you are but the best model is dealer location. There's another model to consider. Demo demo demo. Seriously am getting like other older members here (not as in age but as in time on the forum). Search Bobcat vs Scag or Scag vs Ferris. Tons of stuff on here with testosterone slinging. Look in your area. Who sells the commercial products (and NOT Home Depot or Lowes) closest to your house or shop? Then go and demo the unit, be it Bobcat or Ferris or Scag. If you don't like it go out a bit farther to the different brand that 's left... i.e Ferris or Scag if you didn't like Bobcat. Test them, etc. etc. etc. You'll find in the long run dealer loyalty will get you a long way. It's a lesson hard learned here for myself.

Best, very true. Lucky for me I have the toro, scag, bobcat, ferris, and exmark all within 15 minutes.

msclawn
04-08-2012, 08:16 PM
snapper pro sw30 has some deal right now for 50 mos and some dep discounts; Buy what you like and don't follow the established vendors - Exmark/Scagg you have business to run

thielkinglawn
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I ended up going with the 54" Bobcat hydro with the z control. The controls are simple and were a breeze to get used too. I have a set of jungle wheels on the way and think the controls will be even easier with them. Leaves a nice cut as well.