PDA

View Full Version : What brands you daily see your LCO use?

MTR
12-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi, I have a few questions regarding brands of equipment you "daily" see your area 's LCO use, when they drive by on streets, or even mowing, etc. Here is breakdown of what I daily, routinely, and mostly "see" in Central Florida.

ZTR : Toro Z master, Exmark Lazer Z, Dixie Chopper and a very few Hustler's. (JD and Snapper or Ferris ZTR once a while like in 2-3 months!)

WB: Bunton (pistol, alomost in everyone trailer!), a lot of Scag WB and Toro T-bar. A few of Stander's

21": An assortment of everything, Toro, Honda, Snapper and MTD or Murray.

Trimmer/edger/blower: Of course, Stihl everywhere !

Now, what you, guys got to say about your area or other sides of countrie, I think this is a tell-tale sign of how strong and how weak which "manufacturer" really have in control of market.

Best regards,
:dizzy:

65hoss
12-13-2002, 02:34 PM
About 2 or 3 yrs ago you saw mostly Toro and Bunton w/bs and Walkers for riders. Over the last 2 season I see mostly eXmark equipment on trailers now. Some Grasshoppers lately. Hardly ever see a Chopper.

SDlawndawg
12-13-2002, 02:52 PM
Mostly Exmark ZTR's Walkers are getting popular.

Little bit of everything when it comes to WB's

All Echo everywhere.

McKeeLand
12-13-2002, 03:00 PM
butons or scags used to be the mower around my area, now it seems everyone is starting to buy lesco.

AL Inc
12-13-2002, 03:02 PM
My area is only one town, so I'm pretty local. There's a huge amount of competition here, this is mostly what I see:
-Walkbehinds- Ferris, Scag, some Exmark
-Riders- Walker, Lazers, some Scag. Never have seen a DC.
-Many guys use Standers.
-All types of hand-held equipment and blowers.

My dealer is the largest Ferris belt drive dealer. So that is why so many machines around here are red. They also sell a large number of Standers and RedMax equipment. Mike

rkbrown
12-13-2002, 03:03 PM
ZTR's - Mostly Scag.
WB's: Lots of Scag and Lesco...seeing more and more Exmark, though
Handheld: Mostly Echo is what I see used, but lots of Stihl dealers here, too.

Richard Martin
12-13-2002, 03:21 PM
If it's a major brand name I pretty much see it here. Exmark, Toro, Gravely, Great Dane, Encore, Scag, Dixie Chopper, Husky, JD, Ferris etc. There's even one guy with a couple of Landscaper Supply walkbehinds.

A lot of Shindy trimmers and Stihl backpacks.

The Yard Man
12-13-2002, 03:23 PM
ZTR - Mostly Toro and Exmark. I have seen a few Husqvarna, Kubota, Scag, but very rarely. A lot of Walkers around also

W/B - Mostly Exmark

21" - Anything and everything

rodfather
12-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Scag, Ferris, eXmark, and Toro...hands down.

Everyone else (Great Dane, DC, Hustler, Wright Stander, Walkers, Bunton, Lesco, etc.) is virutally non-existent. The only time I have seen these manufacturers has been on LS memeber pics.

KDJ
12-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Z's Toro, John Deere and Dixie Choppers.
W/B Toro, John Deere and Scag.

Mykster
12-13-2002, 07:58 PM
WB's- Exmark, Scag, and Toro

ZTR's- Exmark (for the few I see around here. I only saw 3 this last season.)

String Trimmers- Stihl, Echo, Red Max, Shindaiwa(SP?).
(A dealer once told me that different races use different equipment)

Blowers- same as trimmers

21's- Everything

odin
12-13-2002, 08:25 PM
walkbehinds scag by a large margin followed by a few exmarks ,toros,bobcats and a every once in a while a lesco and a ferris.

ztr
Scag- exmark about equal then a few toro's ferris and dixie's.

bubble boy
12-13-2002, 09:10 PM
ferris dominates here. apparently an ontario-new york state thing a deaer once said

fair amount of walkers and toro's

exmark and scag very rare to see. only chopper i've seen was an old one sitting at my dealer. he is one of only two chopper dealers in canada (maybe more now). never have anyone interested in the brand.

yourlawnguy
12-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Most guys around here have standers, either Wright or Great Dane. I quess the w/b's are mostly Scag, Exmark is new in the area and I'm starting to see them now.

yourlawnguy
12-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Forgot about the Z's they're mostly Exmark now.

grassdaddy
12-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Ex-Mark and Scag about 80%. Have never seen a ferris,hustler,encore or kubota ztr on a trailer or in a yard in the Chattanooga,TN area.Have seen 1 walker.

lawncare3
12-13-2002, 09:42 PM
most the mowers i see around here are a bunch of mixed up bull $h!t

LB Landscaping
12-13-2002, 10:22 PM
90% of the guys around here have Walkers. I see Scags and exmarks from time to time, Toros are probably 2nd on the popularity list.

We do 4 U
12-13-2002, 10:39 PM
Zrt's- Toro and Dixie are the biggest, then JD and I'm starting to see more and more Ex-Mark. I have a Hustler.

Wb's- Toro with more and more ex-mark.

Handhelds's- Sthil (my favorite), Echo and Shindy.

1grnlwn
12-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Zs Toro, Exmarks, Choppers and Dixons

Envy Lawn Service
12-14-2002, 12:05 AM
Everyone will get a laugh from mine....

Here in my daily routes I see these...

Bigwheel LCO's,

Kubota, John Deere & New Holland front mowers. Sometimes a pair of them. One guy has a Kubota & Toro's Walker copy.

Then I see the following ZTR's

One crew w/2 Grasshopper mid-mounts
One crew w/2 Woods/Gravelys (new this fall)
One Grasshopper Front mower
A large Toro Z-Master
A Small Toro Z-Master
A Large Bob-Cat
A Small Bob-Cat
A Great Dane Chariot
A Husqavarna
A Gravely
And one Surfer that don't really count cause he got fired. :eek:

Homeowner Z's
2 White 1850's
1 Cub 360 series

Walkbehinds

Toro & John Deere

Then there are a few small Kubota tractors

Lawn Tractors

A couple of Craftsman DLT 2000's
Quite a few other Craftsman's, Yard Machines, Whites, Cub Cadets & Murrays. Heck one guy has been in business for years and runs two 33" Snapper rear engine riders!

But the majority are John Deere lawn or garden tractors.

Until recently I didn't see any Z's around my routes. So far I still haven't seen any of the other brands around here at all...

:alien: :alien: :alien:

greenman
12-14-2002, 01:13 AM
80% of the riders around here are Walkers:D Most of the w/b's are Toro, Gravely, or Exmark. Toro 21"ers, or Honda.

jason r.
12-14-2002, 01:38 AM
ZTR's- DC's mostly
WB's- Scag's mostly
21'ers-Honda's'and a few Toro 2 cycles
Handheld-Echo and Shindaiwa

Alot of lco's here carry along a little riding mower w/ bagger this time of year most of those are Snappers.

Simply Green
12-14-2002, 02:13 AM
Mostly Exmark and Bob-cat ZTRs.Walk behinds I would have to say John Deere then Exmark.

Randy Scott
12-14-2002, 02:27 AM
eXmark and Scags mostly. Probably Scag the most. Also a variety of Hoppers, Ferris, and Toro.

DLCS
12-14-2002, 02:29 AM
I would have to say Grasshoppers are used more here. Then it would be John Deere. I guess there isn't any mower brand that is used more than another here. I can say though I haven't seen any Scags, Lesco, Husky, Bunton, Hustler or Great Dane. I would assume that is due to lack of dealers for these mowers.

Mike
DLCS

Soupy
12-14-2002, 02:49 AM
Z's Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Scag, Toro, Hustler and Ferris. Exmark being the most popular and Dixie Chopper 2nd.

WB's Exmark, Toro, Scag, and John Deer. Exmark are most popular lately. It use to be JD and Scag.

We also have our share of Murry Riders. I eigther cry or laugh when I see these. It depends on what mood I'm in.

John Deer riders are by for the most popular for home owners. the guys cutting lawns for a living with a rider can't afford these.

When I first started in this business John Deer owned this area. Then the dealer started selling Scags and all you seen was Scags for a couple of years. Then for some reason everyone started going to the next town for Mowers. It wasn't the dealers service. I wish they would start selling Exmarks or Dixie. I missed that dealer. I did find out they are selling Land Pride. I might have to check them out.

Soupy

brucec32
01-28-2003, 02:48 AM
exmark ztrs by far the most popular, some toro, some walker

Toro T bar wbs, exmark, a few ferris, a few john deere,

Echo and Stihl hand units

Toro 21" most numerous, a few honda and snappers

Turf Dancer
01-28-2003, 04:56 AM
Here there is real MIX !

WB's- well that means 21 " for the most part ! which is mostly Honda and John Deere with the rest using whatever Walmart has cheap every 2 mos when they nead a new one !

WB's Actual Big Machines I think there are a couple of John Deeres Here and In the next town over there is an Exmark and a Sutech

ZTR's- There is one John Deere( Great Dane look alike)

Other Riders- A few John Deere, a Murray, a Honda and a few others.

I am looking to change that by adding a 36" either WB or Stander type, and adding a larger machine 48 or 52

Anyone with a couple of decent machines and a nice trailer would stand out like a new Mercedes in a junk yard here. Too many 4X8 Walmart type trailers packing a couple of garbage cans and a couple of crap mowers being pulled by anything from a car to a pickup to suv.

Turf Dancer
01-28-2003, 05:07 AM
Here there is real MIX !

WB's- well that means 21 " for the most part ! which is mostly Honda and John Deere with the rest using whatever Walmart has cheap every 2 mos when they nead a new one !

WB's Actual Big Machines I think there are a couple of John Deeres Here and In the next town over there is an Exmark and a Sutech

ZTR's- There is one John Deere( Great Dane look alike)

Other Riders- A few John Deere, a Murray, a Honda and a few others.

I am looking to change that by adding a 36" either WB or Stander type, and adding a larger machine 48 or 52

Anyone with a couple of decent machines and a nice trailer would stand out like a new Mercedes in a junk yard here. Too many 4X8 Walmart type trailers packing a couple of garbage cans and a couple of crap mowers being pulled by anything from a car to a pickup to suv.

GarPA
01-28-2003, 06:09 AM
w/b's Scag
Z's Exmark
21's...you name it
handhelds....don't really notice

lsylvain
01-28-2003, 08:41 AM
besides me:

1 bobcat wb
1 bobcat ztr
2 scag wb
1 scag ztr (I think)
1 husky ztr
Most have husky trimmers

and about a billion murry pushmowers and gree machine curved shaft trimmers or whatever wal-mart is selling at the time. Of course you said LCO not joe six-pack

IBGreen
01-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Walker and exmark have it locked up here.

IBGreen
01-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Oh, and Toro 21" also. As stated by greenman.

TJLC
01-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Seems to be mainly a mix of Exmarks and Scags with a few Walkers and Dixies thrown in. The rest are the guys riding around with the cheap, junky homeowner equip., but that's another story.

Tvov
01-28-2003, 11:22 AM
wbs - Exmark and Bobcat, some Scag

riders - Exmark the great majority, some Bobcat, rarely Wright, Ferris, or Dixie Chopper (a guy just started selling them nearby, they haven't really caught on yet).

handheld - pretty much even between Echo and Stihl.

lawncare3
01-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Exmark ,Greatdane, Wright, Snapper, Toro, Scag. Never seen a bobcat around here.

bruces
01-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Dixe, Exmark, Toro, Walker, Encore, a few Hustler, Scag, Great Dane

PaulJ
01-28-2003, 11:46 AM
I guess we have a little bi of everything here too. several Grasshoppers, most WBs are Snapper. A few OLD Exmark wb. and a couple Scags. One or two Exmark riders. Some Lawn Tractors. Some small Snapper and dixon ztrs. One crew uses only Great-Dane. One uses all Toro belt-drive wb. One uses only toro 21". Echo and shindawa seem to dominate the 2cycles. I think a lot of them don't even have trimmers or blowers:rolleyes:
I know of one old Walker. I think I have the only Lesco mower in town. Several use an assortment of Snapper 21"s. A lot of Lesco fert spreaders. Ryan and Bluebird aerators.

Lots of other stuff too. but those are the main ones.

I haven't sen any Hustler, Gravely, Dixie Chopper, Ferris, Huscavarna, or Wright,

Boycea
01-28-2003, 12:33 PM
ZTR's- Mainly only Toro
W/B- Scag, Ferris
Wright Standers

FrankenScagMachines
01-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Dixie Chopper, eXmark, a few Grasshoppers and a few Scags maybe a couple Toro's & John Deere's for ZTR's. For walk behinds, Scag is very dominant and there are some Toro and eXmarks as well but maybe almost as many Scags as there are Toro and eXmarks put together. Push mowers, Toro and LawnBoy and Murray/MTD and Honda. That is about it I think. Stihl and Echo are pretty much the only two cycle equipment used. Don't think that we only use this stuff because it is the best, we just don't have Hustler dealer, RedMax, etc. So we use the best of what we have available! You have to drive aways to get that other stuff.
Scag, JD, Echo, Kawasaki and Stihl for me but it is mostly used stuff.
Eric

Gravely_Man
01-28-2003, 02:21 PM
I see Scag everywhere and some Wright.

Gravely_Man

thartz
01-28-2003, 03:24 PM
One of the big boys around here runs all Scag.Walker are pretty popular.See mostly Toro Z's because we have 2 good dealers in the area.

lawncare3
01-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
Push mowers, Murray/MTD.
Eric

What are they crazy? Or are they just lowballers?:p

Tim Canavan
01-29-2003, 02:04 AM
Here on the northeast side of Houston it's mostly Lesco wb's, Honda and lawn boy 21's, Echo blowers, trimmers and hedge clippers. Maybe a few stihl blowers and trimmers. Starting to see Ex-Mark move into here with the ZTR's and wb's.