PDA

View Full Version : Bed Edging ??

ryan41
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I did a 8 yard mulch job yesterday. hand edged all the beds. That took forever!!! i also removed all the old sod and hauled it away. I have a 14 yard mulch job tomorrow and im wondering if i should just rent a bed edger for a few hours? Do you guys throw the dirt back into the beds or haul it away?? let me know how you do this. I have not done much edging so i am pretty new at it. let me know what you guys do.

Thanks,
Ryan

kennc38
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I did a 8 yard mulch job yesterday. hand edged all the beds. That took forever!!! i also removed all the old sod and hauled it away. I have a 14 yard mulch job tomorrow and im wondering if i should just rent a bed edger for a few hours? Do you guys throw the dirt back into the beds or haul it away?? let me know how you do this. I have not done much edging so i am pretty new at it. let me know what you guys do.

Thanks,
Ryan

Let the machine throw the dirt into the area you're mulching and then cover the dirt with the mulch. If the dirt piles up, just take a rake and smooth it out before covering it with the mulch. Good luck.

grandview (2006)
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
If your edging a bed that hasn't been done in a while we haul it away,mostly because of the grass chunks. If its just dirt mostly you can put it the bed.

ryan41
04-03-2012, 10:54 PM
are those machines difficult to use? i know i will get a lot of **** for asking that question. I have never used one and dont want to mess up somebody garden beds.

ron mexico75
04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
are those machines difficult to use? i know i will get a lot of **** for asking that question. I have never used one and dont want to mess up somebody garden beds.

VERY easy..it's like pulling a wagon with a kid in it. If its a Brown edger at least thats how I'd compare it. line up the cutting blade with where you want to cut and start walking backwards. very easy.

you could probably youtube brown bed definer and see.

ryan41
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
How long do you think 14 yards of mulch will take 3 guys to spread?

knox gsl
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
If very close to the pile or truck 1 guy can do 2 yards an hour. If he has to hump it a few hundred feet uphill and then hand spread in tight beds maybe .75 yards an hour.

lukemelo216
04-03-2012, 11:28 PM
How long do you think 14 yards of mulch will take 3 guys to spread?

Personally I think you should know this answer somewhat already if you did an 8 yard job today. If it took you 5 hrs to spread 8 yards that means it will take you about 9 hrs to do which would come out to 3 hrs for 3 guys.

I never consider the amount of edging into my mulch price. It'll find it nearly impossible. I've had 80 yard jobs where there's 1200 ft of edging and 80yd jobs with 4000 ft of edging. Quote your mulch then your edging.,
Posted via Mobile Device

ryan41
04-03-2012, 11:30 PM
its dumped on the driveway. Most of the work is the beds around the house. a few small scattered beds throughout the yard. I figure if i rent a edging machine from DO IT BEST hardware store it will cut the time down. I don't really want to haul away all the dirt because i don't have a dump trailer. i charged 120.00 for edging
i should make a little money even if i rent a edger